“Fantastic Stay”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Paris, France
“Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Throughout the three days we would always need extra towels and we would always order food and the staff would always bring our requests as soon as possible. By the end of the three days the staff was not only the staff to us they really became our friends and to have an experience like that is very unique. I would also like the say that the concierge was excellent. For every night and day we would ask the concierge which restaurants were the best to go to and every single restaurant was student friendly yet fancy and had terrific food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louis M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed there July 5-12, 2014, Room 530 in the Ocean Tower. This was our second time at this resort, the first being in April 2007. This time, we were there with our 2 young children. The entire grounds/facilities/restaurants/pools/beach are all beautiful, clean, and very well maintained. Everywhere we ate, the food was delicious.

The ocean water is amazingly clear, and you will most likely get a chance to see interesting sea life passing through. We saw many stingrays and even an eagle ray pass by right within the roped off swimming area.

We stayed in the Ocean Tower with full ocean view. The room was clean but just sufficient in my view, considering the cost. The beds are Definitely smaller than advertised, and the mattresses were very firm and uncomfortable. The A/C, while very quiet, seemed to shut down at night. We heard this from other rooms as well, so I think it is part of the master planning there. The shower stall leaked water all over the place. Literally, the bathroom floor would flood out if we didn't block out a section under the stall with towels to capture the water. In general, the bathrooms and rooms are getting a little dated even though the hotel promotes a recent refresh.

Now, let's talk cost. Holy cow. I'm not cheap by any means, but this place was off the charts with what they are charging. And, for this reason, we will most likely never return. I remember everything being "pricey but tolerable" during our April 2007 trip....But not any more. Now, I feel they are abusive with their pricing.

First there is the excessive fees and "taxes" that are added onto the cost of the already overpriced room. 25% of the actual advertised daily room fee actually. This is supposed to cover things like Wireless Internet, and water activities,etc. And for that fee, what you get is some Ritz employee who takes a picture of you and your wife on paddle boards....gets your email with a promise of sending you the picture....and then is never to be heard of again. Great value in those fees. Not.

Drinks are ridiculous. You will pay a minimum $15 (+15% mandatory Service Charge) per normal single-liquor adult beverage. Splurge for one of their signature drinks or higher end liquor, and get ready to fork over $20+. Oh yeah...Want an extra shot with that drink....That will cost you $15. At face value, this doesn't seem outrageous....But, most people on vacation tend to have more than 1 adult beverage per day. So, multiply this by 4 or 5....add the service charge....and you just dropped $125 per day per person. That adds up really fast.

Food. Thankfully, one of our children was under 5, so she ate free at the pool bar/restaurant. But, chicken fingers for the other kid were $19. Burgers....$23. Salad...$18. Go to one of the other restaurants onsite, and hold onto your wallet. Craziness. My wife and I ate at Seven one night. 2 Apps....2 Steaks....2 Sides...2 Drinks....2 desserts....and 1 coffee.....Ready for this.....$350!

Beach Gazebo. We rented one of these water-side beach daybeds a few times during the week. Overall, they worked out really well having the little ones. They offer a comfortable place to lay down, a little shade, unblocked view of the ocean, water, snacks, and towels. Price is $225 per day...Not including service charge, which oddly this is the only thing that the resort doesn't automatically throw that charge in.

Enough on the costs. Bottom line....Leave the resort to eat, and you will save money. Although, not a ton. The island in general is Very expensive because the USD is weak there. If you do venture off property, make sure you hit up Rigazzi (amazing Italian) and Copper Falls Steakhouse. Both are excellent, and we made multiple trips to each during our stay.

Finally...Service Staff and Customer Service. Overall, not impressed. There were a few notables, like Ania who managed the pool/beach services, and Christopher and Mile who were waiters in the pool/beach area. Also, Andy at the main lobby bar was very nice, and Jennifer the Cleaning Lady was great. Outside of that, I was mostly unimpressed and disappointed across the entire resort. There seems to be a heavy influx of staff coming from 1 particular "Very Large" country located in South-Central Asia, and I found their personalities across the board at this resort to be cold and seemingly fake. It just seemed like they were going through the motions most of the time, and didn't really care for what they were doing. This is a systemic issue that Ritz-Carlton needs to deal with. When my wife and I visited this resort in 2007, we left there Raving about how amazing and nice everyone was, and how well we were catered to during our stay.....Exactly what you expect from the Ritz-Carlton. No more. The whole customer service experience in general was just off. Very disappointing. For example...Well in advance of our arrival, I had made it know to our designated Guest Relations Coordinator that my wife and I would be celebrating out anniversary on the Monday after we arrived. Upon arrival at the resort, the GM recognized our anniversary during our stay. That was nice. Then, Crickets....Until Wednesday night, when we received a card wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice thought...little late. Meanwhile, our in-laws (who came with us on this trip and were staying in an adjoining room) were receiving nice hand-written letters every night thanking them for their stay along with small gifts (box of chocolates, etc) Huh? Not only did we lure my In-Laws to join us on this trip....But also, my Brother and his girlfriend....And, my best friend and his fiancee. Total of 4 rooms and probably close to $30K in revenue as a result of my wife and I selecting this resort to go to.....And the best they can do is send a card 2 days late?? #FAIL

Last note....Leave the kids at home if you come here. They didn't do anything for our kids the entire trip. Every resort we've been to has always done something small for our kids (beach toy, bucket, etc). Not here. I get the impression that if you want them to recognize the kids and do anything nice....You need to pay to put them in a program down there. Another disappointment.

Good luck if you go here. Lower your expectations on staff pampering....Raise your expectations on how much you will spend on food/drinks...and you will be just fine!

Room Tip: Ocean Tower with Oceanfront are the best....How could you go here and Not take in that amazing ocean...
12 Thank Eric B
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Eric B,
Welcoming guests back to our resort is a tremendous honor for our Ladies and Gentlemen who are committed to creating an unforgettable experience. Your comments about my colleagues, such as Ania, Andy, Jennifer and others who represent more than 60 diverse nationalities, were nice to read and I was pleased to see you thought our resort grounds were beautiful and experienced the undersea wonders of Seven Mile Beach. However, I am incredibly disappointed to learn you were not completely satisfied with several experiences during your most recent visit with us. Your feedback is very important to me and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to personally apologize and discuss what you have shared in further detail. At your earliest convenience, I invite you to contact me at +1 (345) 815-6006. Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope to speak with you soon.

Marc Langevin
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The saying "you get what you pay for" could never be truer... The Ritz knows vacation. Great spa, spectacular restaurants, top notch service, gorgeous views, beautiful beach, ideal location, excellent fitness center & dynamite cocktails. The worst thing you may see is an old (wealthy) geezer with a hootchie-mama!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank HHDavis
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman is a top-of-the-line mega resort that excels in just about every way. When I say “what a hotel” – I mean it. The title of my review has double meaning as I was guided to this resort by WhataHotel.com which I’ve used with great success in the past. They are a strong internet hotel booking service, but with a family run approach to service. Best of all they were able to offer me a large collection of 5 star hotels that all came with added perks which other sites just didn’t/cannot match. I really was not even set on going to Cayman (I knew I wanted the Caribbean, though) until they came up with a really incredible package. Well done WhataHotel.com and keep up the good work – you’ll hear from me again soon...

The sheer size & layout of the Ritz Carlton in Cayman can be daunting at first and it really does take about two days to get the lay of the land. Rooms live up to the RC standards and expectations; the beach is world class and probably only misses top seven or so globally due to a peppering of small to medium coral rocks along the shallows. But Service (capital “S”) is what make this property shine – and bright!

Save for a (very) few weak links (a grumpy main concierge comes to mind), the swarms of staff are a thing of wonder. The architect of corporate culture and training here should be congratulated/promoted. Greetings and smiles abound, and oftentimes staff materializes out of thin air or seems to silently drop from overhead cables a la Mission Impossible all in an effort to alert you that the temperature outside has cooled to 100 degrees or that your left shoelace is misbehaving. More than once, I swore that the wallpaper or a potted plant had whispered “hello” to me as I ambled by. Maybe it was the frozen Cuban Coladas from Bar Jack – but I don’t think so. Specifically, two staffers deserve blue ribbons: Leroy Jordan and Mercedes Rojo. Both were outstanding and genuine. Sadly, Leroy was moved on to greener pastures down the road at a condo/timeshare called Watercolors. Too bad the RC let him go…

Good to Know

- Taxis, especially for well-heeled Ritz guests, are EXPENSIVE even for short hauls. A bargain alternate are the $2 to $4 jitneys that run up and down the main road. These mini-buses are un-marked, but just linger on the side of the road and your natural tourist attitude will hail one. The two/three that we used were clean and efficient, and as a bonus we enjoyed a Christian-Reggae soundtrack along our journey. Island flavor indeed.

- The smaller, second “resort-side” pool is a best kept secret on the property. It is relatively deserted and has really nice hammocks. Seek it out.

- Fitness Center and Spa: Top notch facility that is roomy and of the moment (fresh cucumber chilled towels, anyone?). Nice dedicated yoga studio which also had some limited boxing gear. Longer jump ropes and more than one pair of (rank) boxing gloves would be a good easy fix. The spa is superlative across the board and unusually quiet given how busy the gym was. Robes are kept behind locked doors, but just asketh and ye shall recieveth. Plastic slippers are uncomfortable and give the impression of being un-hygenic - again, easy fix…

- Club Level: Crunch the numbers for this room rate and you may find it to be a good/great value. Service here again was stellar (Mercedes Rojo, et al), and one night over twilight cocktails one of the desk staffers grabbed an acoustic guitar and belted out a (very good) American Idol quality version of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here”. The small plate food offerings were at a high gourmet level. If you are one to game the system and avail of all the meal timetables (and pace yourself once outside in the resort proper), the savings can add up. Private check-in/out are a nicety. A deeper lending library would be a minor tweak.

Room Tip: WhataHotel.com was able to negotiate a "residence" (over a suite) which worked out great f...
3 Thank GimletEye
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here and celebrated my daughters 16th bday. We had unmatched hotel service , they could have had a few more beach waiters though. But overall the ritz is special , they remember your first and last names, what you prefer to drink and can't do enough to please the customer.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach side
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The trip was the best mother and daughters trip that I've taken. The Ritz is such a first class hotel and we stayed there during a Food Network famous chef's food festival that was one of the many highlights of our trip to Grand Cayman. The sand was the brightest white and the water was the clearest aqua blue. We got to swim with the sting rays from a Catamaran that took us out for a half day excursion to another side of the island. Great food, service and time with my daughters. Loved every minute of it!

Room Tip: Only except an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear CatherineDallas_TX,
I am touched to read this vacation became such a treasured mother/daughter memory. Our Cayman Cookout is a wonderful event to experience with your daughter. From the delectable cuisine and meet-and-greet with world-class chefs to the island excursions, we are proud to host the Caribbean's finest culinary event. Thank you very much for sharing your compliments. We look forward to seeing you and your daughter again soon!

Marc Langevin
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Once again the Ritz provided great service and a great vacation. The staff at the Ritz are the best while not being intrusive. This is our second year at Grand Cayman and the Ritz Carlton. I cannot compare to another resort, but they never disappoint.

Stayed July 2014