“We got spoiled rotten just as it should be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“We got spoiled rotten just as it should be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Ritz Grand Cayman. Service was top notch just as we have come to expect at Ritz properties. The room was well appointed with a wonderful view. I loved the flower petals in the fountain. The beach was super relaxing. We had no concerns with leaving our belongings in the beach chairs. We enjoyed the use of the snorkeling gear and other equipment. The staff was always ready to help, literally at every point of question, someone would be there to help. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank mommmanostress

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Located on the 7 mile beach with excellent snorkling nearby, sailing, paddle boarding and plain old-fashioned swimming, we had a fantastic experience at the Ritz Carlton, Grand Caymans. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Anything I asked for was provided. Each morning as I approached the beach, it seemed like they knew ahed of time that I was on my way. A beach attendant would greet me, gather towels, then lead me to the best available chaise lounge.
The weather was perfection. Very hot, but often with cloud cover. The ocean water was bathtub warm, clear as could be, and with plenty of salt for body floating. Our pool time was spent at the Waterway building, the one furthest from the beach. It was quiet and relaxing. Once again, the attendant couldn't have been more helpful even allowing us the use of a cabana with a mounted TV so we could watch the British Open. Food at the Ritz was delicious but VERY expensive. Our room, also at the Waterway building, was clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms were definitely the premier place to be, but ours was a pool view, very private tow...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We spent a lot of time in the hotel and using the hotel facilities, but actually stayed in one of the condo residences. There are very good reasons for this being one of the top-rated beaches in the world. Magical sand that doesn't burn bare feet, even under a noon sun, fairly uncrowded with folks who have drifted easily into relaxed island time.
And, the service - staff was from around the globe and eager to chat when the guests wanted, but also very careful not to intrude.
Water so clear that it was impossible to guage the distance to the bottom while out on the hotel's loaner Hobie Cats. 2 hours from Houston, 1 1/2 from Miami. It's a fine thing.

Room Tip: Obviously, if possible, go for water-side with a balcony.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear The_Other_Dr_J,
It is always a pleasure to read when our guests take full advantage of our beautiful scenery. The soft, white sand of Seven Mile Beach is truly magical and our Ladies and Gentlemen, representing more than 60 diverse nationalities, are dedicated to providing guests with the most memorable vacation experiences. I am truly delighted that your experience exceeded expectations. We cannot wait to welcome you back soon!

Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here at the recommendation of a friend and had an absolutely lovely stay. We stayed Oceanside Club Level. The only thing I would say is that the club lounge was on the complete other side of the hotel so we found ourselves traveling AWAY from the beach at various times to enjoy the club ... not exactly ideal. There is an overroad hallway decorated with *art* that we were heartily sick of after that ... but I will send a shout out to Monica Davis, one of the concierges in the club lounge because she arranged all of our reservations, etc. via email and it was so nice not to have to deal with anything.

I would also say ... get a cabana ... we got the one that had a bed and chairs ... it comes with a stocked fridge and you get GREAT food and drink service ... every morning is a huge fruit plate and everything else is pretty perfect.

The watersports were fun and mostly included and the beach was LOVELY. The bill was insane, but we weren't watching our budget on this trip. Just FYI, lots of fees.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dora_pirate

No surprises here.
Excellent hotel, staff very nice and attentive.
Clean and organized.
Special thanks to Mercedes at the club, she was super attentive, nice and friendly. Many thanks also to Abdul at the club too as well as Joie and many others.
Pool and beach staff were very professional too.
I would recommend some kind of game room or kids activities such as craft or things like that for when the kids need a break from the beach, it would have been a nice extra.
Again, Ritz delivered as expected. Excellent hotel.

Rooms
Dear AustinTexasFamily,
Thank you very much for sharing your compliments with us. I look forward to sharing your kind words with Mercedes, Abdul and Joie; they are truly appreciated. For your next visit, I recommend joining us at the Heritage House on Saturday afternoons where families are invited to enjoy indoor games and activities with Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment. I also look forward to sharing new resort enhancements, designed especially for families, that are sure to delight. I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort soon.

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Throughout the three days we would always need extra towels and we would always order food and the staff would always bring our requests as soon as possible. By the end of the three days the staff was not only the staff to us they really became our friends and to have an experience like that is very unique. I would also like the say that the concierge was excellent. For every night and day we would ask the concierge which restaurants were the best to go to and every single restaurant was student friendly yet fancy and had terrific food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louis M
Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed there July 5-12, 2014, Room 530 in the Ocean Tower. This was our second time at this resort, the first being in April 2007. This time, we were there with our 2 young children. The entire grounds/facilities/restaurants/pools/beach are all beautiful, clean, and very well maintained. Everywhere we ate, the food was delicious.

The ocean water is amazingly clear, and you will most likely get a chance to see interesting sea life passing through. We saw many stingrays and even an eagle ray pass by right within the roped off swimming area.

We stayed in the Ocean Tower with full ocean view. The room was clean but just sufficient in my view, considering the cost. The beds are Definitely smaller than advertised, and the mattresses were very firm and uncomfortable. The A/C, while very quiet, seemed to shut down at night. We heard this from other rooms as well, so I think it is part of the master planning there. The shower stall leaked water all over the place. Literally, the bathroom floor would flood out if we didn't block out a section under the stall with towels to capture the water. In general, the bathrooms and rooms are getting a little dated even though the hotel promotes a recent refresh.

Now, let's talk cost. Holy cow. I'm not cheap by any means, but this place was off the charts with what they are charging. And, for this reason, we will most likely never return. I remember everything being "pricey but tolerable" during our April 2007 trip....But not any more. Now, I feel they are abusive with their pricing.

First there is the excessive fees and "taxes" that are added onto the cost of the already overpriced room. 25% of the actual advertised daily room fee actually. This is supposed to cover things like Wireless Internet, and water activities,etc. And for that fee, what you get is some Ritz employee who takes a picture of you and your wife on paddle boards....gets your email with a promise of sending you the picture....and then is never to be heard of again. Great value in those fees. Not.

Drinks are ridiculous. You will pay a minimum $15 (+15% mandatory Service Charge) per normal single-liquor adult beverage. Splurge for one of their signature drinks or higher end liquor, and get ready to fork over $20+. Oh yeah...Want an extra shot with that drink....That will cost you $15. At face value, this doesn't seem outrageous....But, most people on vacation tend to have more than 1 adult beverage per day. So, multiply this by 4 or 5....add the service charge....and you just dropped $125 per day per person. That adds up really fast.

Food. Thankfully, one of our children was under 5, so she ate free at the pool bar/restaurant. But, chicken fingers for the other kid were $19. Burgers....$23. Salad...$18. Go to one of the other restaurants onsite, and hold onto your wallet. Craziness. My wife and I ate at Seven one night. 2 Apps....2 Steaks....2 Sides...2 Drinks....2 desserts....and 1 coffee.....Ready for this.....$350!

Beach Gazebo. We rented one of these water-side beach daybeds a few times during the week. Overall, they worked out really well having the little ones. They offer a comfortable place to lay down, a little shade, unblocked view of the ocean, water, snacks, and towels. Price is $225 per day...Not including service charge, which oddly this is the only thing that the resort doesn't automatically throw that charge in.

Enough on the costs. Bottom line....Leave the resort to eat, and you will save money. Although, not a ton. The island in general is Very expensive because the USD is weak there. If you do venture off property, make sure you hit up Rigazzi (amazing Italian) and Copper Falls Steakhouse. Both are excellent, and we made multiple trips to each during our stay.

Finally...Service Staff and Customer Service. Overall, not impressed. There were a few notables, like Ania who managed the pool/beach services, and Christopher and Mile who were waiters in the pool/beach area. Also, Andy at the main lobby bar was very nice, and Jennifer the Cleaning Lady was great. Outside of that, I was mostly unimpressed and disappointed across the entire resort. There seems to be a heavy influx of staff coming from 1 particular "Very Large" country located in South-Central Asia, and I found their personalities across the board at this resort to be cold and seemingly fake. It just seemed like they were going through the motions most of the time, and didn't really care for what they were doing. This is a systemic issue that Ritz-Carlton needs to deal with. When my wife and I visited this resort in 2007, we left there Raving about how amazing and nice everyone was, and how well we were catered to during our stay.....Exactly what you expect from the Ritz-Carlton. No more. The whole customer service experience in general was just off. Very disappointing. For example...Well in advance of our arrival, I had made it know to our designated Guest Relations Coordinator that my wife and I would be celebrating out anniversary on the Monday after we arrived. Upon arrival at the resort, the GM recognized our anniversary during our stay. That was nice. Then, Crickets....Until Wednesday night, when we received a card wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice thought...little late. Meanwhile, our in-laws (who came with us on this trip and were staying in an adjoining room) were receiving nice hand-written letters every night thanking them for their stay along with small gifts (box of chocolates, etc) Huh? Not only did we lure my In-Laws to join us on this trip....But also, my Brother and his girlfriend....And, my best friend and his fiancee. Total of 4 rooms and probably close to $30K in revenue as a result of my wife and I selecting this resort to go to.....And the best they can do is send a card 2 days late?? #FAIL

Last note....Leave the kids at home if you come here. They didn't do anything for our kids the entire trip. Every resort we've been to has always done something small for our kids (beach toy, bucket, etc). Not here. I get the impression that if you want them to recognize the kids and do anything nice....You need to pay to put them in a program down there. Another disappointment.

Good luck if you go here. Lower your expectations on staff pampering....Raise your expectations on how much you will spend on food/drinks...and you will be just fine!

Room Tip: Ocean Tower with Oceanfront are the best....How could you go here and Not take in that amazing ocean...
      Rooms
12 Thank Eric B
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Eric B,
Welcoming guests back to our resort is a tremendous honor for our Ladies and Gentlemen who are committed to creating an unforgettable experience. Your comments about my colleagues, such as Ania, Andy, Jennifer and others who represent more than 60 diverse nationalities, were nice to read and I was pleased to see you thought our resort grounds were beautiful and experienced the undersea wonders of Seven Mile Beach. However, I am incredibly disappointed to learn you were not completely satisfied with several experiences during your most recent visit with us. Your feedback is very important to me and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to personally apologize and discuss what you have shared in further detail. At your earliest convenience, I invite you to contact me at +1 (345) 815-6006. Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope to speak with you soon.