This is a difficult review to write, as it is certainly my desire to praise a popular resort after I have been fortunate to experience the property. This vacation, however, had some glaring omissions, that impacted our vacation very negatively. First for the good news, the staff was, overall,flawless. Every staff member we encountered seemed genuinely interested in making sure our visit was perfect. Whenever a member of the staff asked us if we were enjoying our vacation, they looked directly into our eyes, actually waiting for a reply..as if to be certain that there was nothing more that they could do to make our stay wonderful! So, clearly an A+ for the staff at all levels. (sadly the staff could not "fix" what was wrong…only management do so)
The negative things, unfortunately had a sweeping effect over our entire stay.
First, I will mention music. I have traveled extensively through the caribbean during July and while I realize it is considered "low season", I have never encountered a resort with absolutely NO live music.There was not a steel drum band, nor a person playing piano. There was not a jazz trio, or even a single guitar heard at this resort. Other guests commented on this as well. Some music would surely add a fun feeling of being on vacation.
Secondly, there were almost NO flowers or flowering plants. It was difficult to even find a great area to pose for a photo, because everything was really the same drab tan color. Around the North Side Pool, there are 6-8 large raised flower pots, each sporting tall brown, dead grass-type plant (no flowers). Going down the steps near the "Cupboard", a drab little "tan" fountain, amidst "tan" stone steps…surely a variety of brightly colored flowers could adorn these totally "tan" areas. The main pool..NO flower pots or garden area. The small table in the main lobby contained 3 vases of lovely flowers during our stay, but they so stood out, as there were NO other flowers, nor flowering plants on the entire landscape indoors or outdoors. Hard to think that a place like the Ritz lacks funds for gardeners.
Third, I have to agree with a previous contributor, that the drink prices here were "Abusively Expensive". $25 US, for a Pina Colada or similar is insane. Your resort is in the caribbean and people like to gather around the pool, pool bar and beach area and drink. Every time a couple orders a drink, they have to spend $50??!! Needless to say, we saw very few people drinking. Loosen up a little and allow for a "happy Hour" at Bar Jack…add a bit of music and you would see your guests actually having fun!!
NO Music…NO dancing…..NO flowers, or flowering gardens….Overpriced Drinks…and this vacation, which I planned for months to celebrate a special birthday, really fell flat.
BTW..I learned after the fact, that both my husband and my travel agent had contacted the hotel directly to notify the front desk of my birthday…..but, not even a card was sent to my room. Very disappointing week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury two-tower resort where sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. With a resort side including resort and garden view rooms and an ocean side for ocean view rooms the property runs from sound to sea. Residential towers are located on the ocean side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, Destinology, Marriott and Booking.com so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman Cayman Islands