“Great Hotel even though we ran into .... Huricane Polama!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
CT
“Great Hotel even though we ran into .... Huricane Polama!”
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Travel Dates Nov 2-7, 2008; 2 Adults 38 & 40 yrs old
This was our 3rd trip to GC (2003 & 1999) previous stays were at the old Hyatt, prior Ivan.
The overall Ritz experinece was great. Hotel was at about 60% capacity. The hotel is very nicely done, elegant but not over the top, It did not feel stuffy as some RC properties can feel.
Rooms: We had a room in the Ocean front Bldg Room#831, highest floor GREAT ocean view. Rooms was well done, small stand up shower was a negative. Other reviews talked about the long walks to the main bldg/lobby etc, we found it to be not that bad. Your on vacation, take it SLOW.
Food & Bev: Yes drinks are not cheap (they were also not weak in anyway), but nothing is in the Caymans. Pool bar is fine, no swim up bar. Pool service was good, not pushy but always around when you needed something. Lunch at pool is typical, nothing special and again not inexpensive.
Blue Rest. was very good, excellent service, food & wine. $$$$
Siver Palm Lounge was a great place for a pre-dinner cocktail or post dinner. We even watched the election from there that night, good sushi & tapas also.
Plenty of chairs around pool with plenty of umbrellas. Plenty of chairs on beach (with a pull up shade over on each) they are close together.
We got caught in Hurricane Polama, so we watched the hotel go into hurricane prep and what a job they did even still taking care of customers. The RC staff/mngt did everything they could to keep us updates and help to get people out before the storm. We were the last flight out on Delta before the airport closed, not a sunny vacation but an experience and a few stories to tell.

If anyone has any specific question about the RC, other resturants etc please feel free to ask.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lightingsales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
NJ, USA
Reviewed 11 November 2008

As you will see when you read the reviews here, there's not a bad thing to say about the place. Beautiful hotel (clean, neat, upscale), friendly, happy associates (from the maid service to the pool staff to the door man) and impeccable attention to detail!

We arrived on November 1st (2008) for a seven night stay- two ajoining rooms for my husband, myself and our two children ages 12 and 14. Everything we requested (an empty refrigerator in the room, adjoining rooms, ocean front, high floor etc.) was there, ready and waiting. From Ely (their customer service manager) who greets you by name as you arrive, to the front desk and conceirge personnel who had my daughter selecting a movie for the room within minutes of arrival, to the bell staff who takes you upstairs and explains everything.....EVERYTHING- was perfect!

Prior to our arrival, Ely asked several times if we were there to celebrate anything special. We weren't- unfortunately, I guess as when I read all of the magnificent things they did (have done) for guests celebrating a special event, I get a little "jealous" -haha! While we didn't get the "Swan towel", rose petals on our bed, free dessert or champagne etc., we did feel that we got everything and more than we asked for.

As others have stated, we remained there for what became a Category 3 hurricane. The Ritz handled the situation with the utmost professionalism, keeping everyone appraised (and safe) during the 36+ hour ordeal. They flew in 36 of their own loss prevention specialists (specifically to handle the storm), had 6 police officers, a doctor, 3 medical personnel AND an ambulance there at the hotel should anyone need anything. They held regualr meetings to keep everyone appraised of an ever deteriorating situation (weather wise) and made everyone feel safe. The "command center" they set up with computers for all to use, flashlights, cases of water, hurricane tracking etc. was nothing less than amazing- especially in the time period they did it in. If I were ever to be in a hurricane again, I'd want to be there! On top of it all, the food they served us (for 3 days, buffet style in the ballroom) was completely free to all and was of the quality you'd expect at a top notch wedding reception buffet. And all with a hurricane pounding the island and no staff! (For FREE no less!)

Perfect all around, however, I will add one dislike- which is purely a matter of taste. As someone put it in another review, the menu at BLUE (not to mention the prices) is not for your average/traditional eater. Much, much too upscale for my taste (I had trouble finding something I would even consider eating and even then, paying $88 for a dried out pork chop was not my idea of a nice dinner). My husband, however, who is much more of a gourmet food eater had the 7 selection tasting menu which he said was incredible (disliked a few of the wines but felt they were "paired right" for those of you that enjoy that sort of thing). I wish they had offered me the "lobster and steak" from the menu from the "Seven Restaraunt" as they offered it to someone else who wrote a review here. I had a heck of a time finding a THING I would eat!

All in all, beautiful hotel (rooms, pool, beach) and everything you will read in the reviews under trip advisor (for this hotel) I found to be 100% accurate!

As far as activities- take Captain marvins half day snorkel and stingray tour ($40US per person). Well worth the money and we actually met 92 year old Captian marvin who still overseas the morning trips each day. What an incredible islander to meet!

• Liked — Oceanview room, high floor, center of hotel!
  • Disliked — Could be a little more "tropical" in it's decor and atmoshpere without losing that "Rtiz feel"!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank NKellyNJ
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Another Ritz meets their standards and way beyond!

Upon arriving at the Cayman Islands, I got a bit worried as pretty much the city looked old and dirty. Once we arrived at The Ritz, I was relieved. The taxi ride to the hotel from the airport was about $40. The hotel entrance was very nice. Palm trees, great landscape. As soon as we walked in the lobby we were greeted with cookies and water. Just like all the Ritz we have stayed at. The room was pretty far from the lobby as you have to walk across the street via a over-walkway. The ony time we would come back to the lobby was to get a taxi which wasn't very often as the food was so great at the hotel and we didn't want to leave the beach!!

The room was very nice, clean and roomy. The ONLY thing I did not like was that our room was in a corner, ocean front on the 3rd floor. Ask for a higher level room (anything above the 4th floor) and more towards the middle of the resort.

We did not rent a car. If we needed to go somewhere we would get a taxi. About $20 each way.

We went at the end of Septemeber and you could say we owned the beach. Only about 10 other couples there. It was great!!!!

Food: soooo good. we would eat breakfast at the daily buffet (pricey), at lunch we would order right from our lounge chairs. The servers were very friendly and attentive. Every hour they would come by with clean, cold towels for your face, fresh fruit and small drinks.

Water mats, snorkling equipment all provided with your stay.

Although very pricey, you definetly get what you pay for. We will be back!

• Liked — Pure luxury
  • Disliked — Location of room - 4th floor or higher! Middle of resort
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nancygamez
Lancaster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 November 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for our honeymoon and had the time of our lives. We have promised each other that we are going to do it again in the near future. As soon as we enter to check-in, they asked what our reason for staying at the Ritz. Once they found out we were staying for our honeymoon, they brought out a rose to give to my wife. The person behind the desk personally walked us to our room. On the way there, they explained everything that the Ritz-Carlton offers. At dinner, we asked not to have dessert, but once they looked us our name in their computer and found out we were on our honeymoon, they brought over a chocolate cake with raspberry drizzle spelling out "Happy Honeymoon." The grounds were magnificent and the beach was always clean. There were always a lounge chair available on the beach. We both highly suggest this hotel to anyone on their honeymoon or on a vacation!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Location-Too far from the City
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Feener
Babylon, NY
Reviewed 9 November 2008

Wow!!! This hotel is truly Amazing!!! The staff, the grounds, the building, the area, the views, the food, the rooms, the weather, the beach, the water, were all truly awesome! This hotel is expensive, but it is sooo worth it for a truly fantastic vacation where everything is near-perfect as they pamper you all day long. After having visted several other hotels which stated that they had 5-Star service...well, let's just say that now I really know what 5-Star service is supposed to be. We ate at every one of their restaurants, so if you have any questions about them, or anything else, please feel free to email me at: foodiedb@optonline.net

• Liked — First class and amazing restaurants
  • Disliked — Somewhat pricey
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Foodiedb
Los Angeles (Stevenson Ranch)
Reviewed 7 November 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel soon after it opened. We had an amazing experience... The level of service here was so high, on a daily basis we had to argue with the beach attendants about carrying our own beach bag etc. All the staff goes way out of their way to wait on you hand and foot. We were upgraded to a ocean front Jr suite as the first night of our stay my daughter didn't sleep too well as she was the first to sleep on the sleeper sofa. It had not been broken it yet. The spa here is amazing, and as the resort was so new they were handing out product samples like tic tics! The resort food was very good although expensive with the exchange rate. The beaches and water are to die for! The kids club was the best I've ever seen and we've seen many. I ABSOLUTELY recommend this Ritz if you want first class service and a beautiful property. Happy & safe travels!

• Liked — The Level of Service
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank juste4moiosi
Houston
Reviewed 4 November 2008

The service my new wife and I received at the Ritz was the best I've ever experienced anywhere without exaggeration. Prior to arriving, I received a call that the club was not going to be available as originally projected for October 31st through Nov. 3rd. I was offered in its place breakfast, lunch, 4 drinks per day, and 4 treats at the sweet shop. This was far beyond the value dollar wise I would have received had I received club access, not to mention my wife and I would have had to go across the main building to the club from the ocean front room we had. Upon arrival, we were put in a dead center room on the top floor facing the beach. The flowers I had ordered were in the room.

Our plans were altered some by the high winds and some rain the first couple of days, but all was fine. After having dinner at the resort instead of the sunset cruise, we returned to the room to find rose petals all over and the swans made from towels on the bed. How did they know were weren't there? They pay attention to detail. The next day was the wedding day. Just my wife and I getting married off property on a beach. As my brain didn't click as to transportation, I found the customer service rep, Ely, and asked her if she could help me to arrange a limo with less than 2 hours notice. In one hour she returned to me with three options and pricing. I was to get a Lincoln Towne car for $160 U.S.D. What arrived was a stretch limo that was very nice. My wife and I got in and then I discovered she had never been in a limo. She loved her white carriage and yes, she looked beautiful. The limo driver took us to the beach where it was overcast and rain was threatening so much so, we barely got the ceremony in with the help of the limo driver arranged by Ely. The last of the photos had to take place in the limo as it started to pour.

At the same time we left the resort to get married, the resort told me our cabana dinner I had set up as a surprise was cancelled. No problem, the manager of "7" said we could do it the next night, eat there or at "Blue." I told him Blue was, of course, a very nice restaurant and liked the setting, but the menu was more sophisticated than we liked. We wanted steak and lobster that 7 had on its menu. No problem. They set it up for us to get a great table at Blue and prepare us what we wanted there even though it was not on the menu.

Upon return from getting married, Ely had two glasses of champagne in her hand waiting in the drive. How did she know were were on our way back? Detail! She had the limo driver call her to let her know. She took a couple of pictures as well with us getting out of the limo.

We had our dinner at Blue which was fantastic. We recieved great service that was mirrored. Nothing came to the table without out two wait staff delivering to each of us at the same time. We had complimentary champagne again offered by the restaurant.

Not done. Upon return to our room after dinner, yes, again, the room was done up and Ely had the picture she had taken put into a silver frame (compliments of the resort) and in the room. Wow is all I could say and still say. All this was done with a smile. Oh, while I was waiting for my bride before getting married, I was in the bar "Silver" I think is the name. I got a glass of nice wine. The bartender, upon learning I was about to marry, gave me a second glass compliments of the house (over $20 USD per glass). So, you can see the service was outstanding.

Everyone was very nice. The room was great. The food is good.

I can't say enough about Ely. She made it all happen. Bertrand, the manager of 7 was also very helpful. I can't forget to mention Kiesha with customer service as well. She helped me to try to arrange everything before arrival at the resort.

Yes, it is expensive, but you know that before you go. If you can just set that aside for a few days and enjoy the experience and service like you have never enjoyed, go.

Our last event was a horseback ride with Pampered Ponies on the beach at sunset. Very nice.

Thanks to all at the Ritz in GC and my wife for making this trip a romantic's delight.

• Liked — The view from the beach front room. The bed was also extremely comfortable.
  • Disliked — The trek from the main desk to the beach whenever you have to. No big deal though.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple