“Good Experience ”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The service was excellent at the hotel. Rooms were clean with dependable turndown and maid service.

The food by the pool was good quality and again the service was ver good.

There are two areas for improvement. 1) The fitness center - extremely hot and not very good ventilation. They absolutely need to fix the temperature control. Also, a number of treadmills kept stopping mid-workout. They need to service the equipment to ensure proper operation. Other concern was that little children were running around the center mid-afternoon. No hotel staff was there to remove them from the facility.

2) We decided to go on the Ritz boat for the stingray city trip. The boat is referred to as The Sapphire. We figured we would have more time at the snorkel sights with less people. The woman working on the boat was miserable (talk about someone who hates their job) and they brought us back 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Not good. At Stingray city they were very cheap on using bait so the stingrays went to the other boats. Advice - go with Red Sail and do not go through the hotel. You will pay more. Just walk a few feet down to their hit and you will save.

Overall, we liked the room, service and food. We would still recommend it.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank LHConn

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Your resort fee includes various activities that you can barely fit into one day: sailing lessons (book early), kayaking, snorkeling, board paddling etc.
Pool area is a bit boring, no water slides or other fun installations, many people sitting inside with their drinks who get annoyed by too much activity around them.
The setup is a bit confusing. When you are on the beachside, you have to cross a bridge across a street and walk at least 100 m to get to the reception area.
Otherwise perfect place, very attentive staff, we enjoyed it a lot.

Room Tip: When you book beach side, you are pretty far away from the entrance and reception area and cross a b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ullrich K
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I have never written a review before but I feel compelled to do so. We arrived from the UK on the 01st August to stay for fourteen nights. We are a family of five, two adults and three children, aged twelve, six and two. To say that we are disappointed is an understatement. My husband I have visited many ritz hotels around the world, over many years. When we had children we decided that we would have family holidays in a chain that we trusted and believed to have standards that matched our expectations.
Yesterday, I had had enough of being disappointed and I asked at reception, if I could arrange an appointment with the general manager. I explained I would be out for the day but if it was possible to see the manager, I would be back by four or I was free the following day. I received a call later that day informing me of an appointment available with the room manager. When I questioned this, the lady explained that he could deal with everything not just rooms. I went for the meeting and as my husband and I expected, I was heard, whether or not listened too is another matter. I say this as the gentleman continually looked over my shoulder into the lobby area, and indeed looked at his watch, I took thirty minutes of his time. I was then offered a gesture of $500 resort fee credit, in order to make our remaining days more pleasant. I accepted this offer, however I did so on the acknowledgment that it was a incredulous offer. From a member of staff that I hadn't asked to see, who was trying to placate me.
So, to begin, the beach area, I asked Mr Kunal Juneja what the policy was for cleaning. He stated the beach was cleaned three times a week, but if the hotel was very busy, they did not use the raking machine, they did it by hand. I go for morning walks on the beach and my family go to the beach everyday. We have not seen this take place, in fact what we have seen is litter, food items and yesterday large pieces of glass.
The pool area is cramped, and needs cleaning. We have found plastic glasses, tissues and snow cone holders in the pool on a daily basis. At 7:40 the pool area still has towels piled up from the night before, and litter around the loungers. During the day we have witnessed a pool attendant removing the lounger covers and towels from a previous guest and throwing the dirty laundry to the back of the loungers. At one point another attendant spoke on his radio telling someone how dirty the pool area was! In other ritz hotels my children were offered toys, buckets,spades etc to play with on the beach, not so here. It also appears that if you hand members of staff money, then this curries favour/friendship, they tend to you first. There are also members of the public who use the pool area, this is irritating,but if you are willing to pay the attendants then this appears to be allowed.
The cleaning of the bedroom hallways and indeed the bedrooms is lacking. I even found a cleaning attendant in the bathroom near the club lounge, sleeping! Yes, fast asleep on the vanity chairs, while her partner rolled face clothes. We have found that everyday, bags of laundry and bags of rubbish are left in the hallway for large amounts of time. One of the ladies uniform had a large rip under her arm, enough for me to see her bra. We found a cockroach in the bedroom bathroom. The showers in both rooms our rooms have not been cleaned. The dust in the rooms has not been cleaned and to get a re-supply of shampoo and conditioner is like gold dust. We have taken quite a few pictures and video footage as evidence.
The taxi service which is used by the hotel, we found so bad we got out and walked. The lady was texting and viewing her blackberry whilst driving and did not have all her seat belts in place for us to use. When we informed concierge there appeared to be some acknowledgment of the state of the taxi service. Concierge asked if it was a particular lady named Myrtle, to which we did not know. We understood this question, as Myrtle had committed offences previously. It turned out it was a different woman entirely as we have a photo of her vehicle. If staff are aware of continual problems I do not understand why this taxi service is allowed to continue at the Ritz.
We also witnessed what appeared to be three prostitutes just outside the main lobby entrance. While, this might be acceptable to some people I personally don't want to see it and I don't want my 12 year old son seeing it and making a comment to me, which he did. From what I understand from talking to a member of staff, this does take place. Mr Juneja did not confirm or deny this.
The facilities for the children is seriously lacking. If you wish to book a program then great, but for anything else forget it. There has been for a few days a play room and movie room which is sporadic in its opening and if there is a conference on then too bad. The children lose out, which if it's raining is a nightmare to keep them entertained. I think this is crazy, when they have what looks like a great kids club house. I asked if my daughter could go there to draw/colour for an hour, the reply was no the use is only for program use.
I have not even mentioned the cost, to which paying 15% service charge is obligatory. I think this is shocking considering the service that has been provided to my family. We are also paying $60 per room resort fee, which I could understand for us, but my children's room, seems extortion. When I asked Mr Juneja what this was for, in particular the children's room, he said the use of wifi and water sports. I have no words at this stupidity.
I could also mention the food, and inconsistencies as well as the cost, however, the list is long and using my iPhone to type on isn't great.
I hope this will prove helpful to someone, to end this, what seems to be a long letter, but in fact could have been a lot longer. I would say this holiday has made us think that the Ritz Carlton chain is not what it once was, not worth the money and for us it is time to look elsewhere. Kind regards Mrs H Riley.

Stayed: August 2014
33  Thank Helen R
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Helen R,
Your choice to vacation at our resort means so much to the Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman. I assure you my colleagues are genuinely committed to ensuring you receive the finest service, and I apologize for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I would like to discuss these incidents in further detail. I will reach out to you directly and, again, I am very sorry your experience was anything less than perfect.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

First off, the resort staff were great. They were friendly, polite, helpful, courteous ....I could go on and on. 7 Mile beach is really nice and the resort amenities for water sports are terrific. There are quality restaurant choices, on and off the resort, and they are abundant. Nothing is more than a 10 minutes taxi ride away. However, I did have a few issues with my stay. There was 5th floor room construction project going on that no one mentioned. Then there was an "unrelated" broken pipe and water problem. I changed my rooms but should not have been put in that situation to begin with. The resort also claims to be smoke free but that apparently does not include the beach, pool or room balconies. When it 99 degrees and 99% humidity, cigar and cigarette smoke can be quite annoying. There were a few other small issues like a wasp next on the balcony and a broken personal item but the hotel quickly resolved both. There is no live entertainment Sunday thru Thursday which was disappointing. Everything is a bit pricey. $300-$400US every night for dinner (4 people). I fully expected this but by the end on the week you're like "Come on, really? $3.50 for a can of Coke? " My advice is just sign and don't look ;-)

All in all I did enjoy my stay at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman. The golf course at North Sound was in surprisingly good shape and it was fun. The weather was very good but maybe just a little too hot for me. The food and drink were great everywhere. I am glad I went but not sure if I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a house car ride to a restaurant or golf course.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LiveinNP
Marc_Langevin, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear LiveinNP,
Our Ladies and Gentlemen are committed to providing our guests with a flawless, memorable vacation experience. Although it seems you were pleased overall with our resort, I am would like to apologize for the disappointments you described in this review. Your feedback is extremely important to us and, if you can afford the time, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail. I may be reached personally at +1 (345) 815-6006. Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

Marc Langevin
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Remarkably helpful staff with outstanding activities at the Ambassador of the Environment. Their nature programs are unique, educational and a very good value, and were the highlight of our trip to the Caymans. Also outstanding tennis program and I highly recommend private lessons.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank hazelcrestmom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just like listening to the Beach Boys song Kokomo is how I would describe this hotel. Stunning property with F&B outlet to match. Stunning view on both sides of the hotel, lagoon and the white sandy Seven-Mile beach.

Room Tip: Sea view worth the extra dollars
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank OneFishonaHook
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was such a top-notch trip and beautiful location that we went a second time! It was a great place for couples and families as well. The service in the club is spectacular and the variety of activities on the grounds and the beach are many. You cannot beat the Ritz in Grand Cayman. I will be back.

Room Tip: Club level, ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah M

Dear Sarah M,
It was wonderful to welcome you back to our resort! The Club Lounge experience is unrivaled and, as you experienced, offers an enhanced level of comfort and luxury. As we continue to enhance our resort experience with distinctive new venues, activities and hotel design, I am sure you will find even more memorable experiences during your next visit. On behalf of the Ladies and Gentlemen of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, thank you very much for sharing such a lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.