“The Ritz Rocks!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
North Carolina
“The Ritz Rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

My wife and I had been to the Cayman Islands two times prior to this trip and we love the place. We got engaged here last year and knew we wanted to return for our Honeymoon. We wanted to go first class for this once in a lifetime trip. The Ritz did not disappoint. Our entire stay was awesome! We went in the middle of November and the resort as a whole was not very busy.

The first thing we noticed about the Ritz is the service. Their entire staff is just outstanding. They knew who we were the whole time and eveyone kept congratulating us. They go over and above at every corner: a towel like cover of the beach chairs, free tastings served around the pool, staff who come by and clean your sunglasses, and on and on. Every single person was great.

The room was very nice although not overly big. It was very clean and they kept everything tidy on a daily basis. We especially liked the turn down service when they put a bucket of ice with bottles of water in your room. Things like that went a long way.

We were upgraded to the Club Lounge, which served food and drinks (alcoholic) all day, complimentary. We were not sure of the cost it would take to upgrade to this level again, but we are sure it would be worth it. The staff in the Club Lounge was awesome. They knew us as newlyweds right away and kept asking us how things were. The food quality and presentation was awesome and they changed it up daily. There were five servings of food (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, appetizers at dinner and finally desserts). We made meals of this for breakfast and lunch everyday and then had pre-dinner snacks in the evening. The drinks available are good and the wine is quality. Again, if you plan to stay here and eat at the resort, it is worth upgrading.

The resort restaurants are good although very expensive (as you would expect at the Ritz). You cannot go wrong with any of them.

The spa is amazing. We had an hour massage each and they were awesome. After our massage, we were taken to a little area with rose petals and champaigne. The place is really cool and the locker rooms are wonderful (steam, sauna and whirlpool). We had access to this area and went down several times.

The pool and beach areas are really nice. The staff was always checking on us. We had a few drinks which were good a couple of times but they are pricy!

If you have not been to the Caymans, you should check out the little town. It is nice, clean and has some decent shopping. We have eaten out on past trips so we stayed close but some decent places all over. Our favorite bar (probably my favorite in the whole world) is My Bar at the Sunset House. The place is perfect for watching the sunsets and having a few drinks.

The only true negative is the cost but we certainly got our money's worth. I would highly recommend the Ritz (ESPECIALLY FOR A HONEYMOON) and I am sure it will not be our last stay there.

Safe and fun travels to everyone!

• Liked — The Service was amazing.
  • Disliked — Pricing was high but worth it.
3 Thank RandEZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
061864la
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

Excellent food, upscale service, great beach, staff extremely friendly and service 24/7, great pool as well

• Liked — neatness
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 061864la
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

Let me offer a contrarian point of view. I find the Ritz overblown and often tasteless in the way that the Bellagio in Vegas is. It is stage set luxury, not truly luxurious. for that it is way too big. Secondly it is essentially a convention hotel. Furthermore if you are indoors there is absolutely no sense of place. you could be in Santa Barbara, or White Plains. There is no feeling of being in the caribbean. All the help I had contact with were lovely (to their credit) but no one was local. I spoke to staff members from Bali, Zimbabwe, Brooklyn, Montreal, Bulgaria, Romania, Austria. All very interesting and informative but no one was from the Caymans or Jamaica.( I do understand that this is characteristic of the International nature of Ritz Carlton properties)

The beach is as lovely as everyone says, but I wish I had known I would need sand shoes. A word of precaution. There is a wide stretch of coral about 3 feet deep right in front of the hotel making it very uncomfortable getting in and out of the water. This may be seasonal or not, but I suspect is was the reason almost no one was in the water. After all it is a coral beach.

Food at the pool was as ordinary as you'd get at Friendly's but Blue was spectacular....THE hi light of our visit.

If you go and want to venture out, rent a car no matter how costly, The price of cabs was usurious but this is not the hotel's fault.

Overall it was a pleasant enough experience but after reading all the unqualified raves, I felt that other points of view should be posted.

• Liked — the beach and Blue
  • Disliked — the glitz and the large convention
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
6 Thank ginsbery
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Nov. 22-29, and it was the most relaxing vacation on which we have ever been.

Before we arrived we were contacted by Vanessa Fuentes, a Ritz guest relations coordinator, via email. She arranged all our dinner reservations for us—even the one's not at the Ritz—as well as a kayaking excursion we did with the Ambassadors of the Environment program. She also arranged to have a mini-fridge in our room upon arrival.

Ms. Fuentes also requested our flight arrival and departure times (with flight numbers), which at the time I thought was strange. Upon arriving, however, I realized why she wanted these. She greeted us personally at the hotel check-in desk and walked us to our room, giving us a brief tour of the hotel on the way. While checking in, we were offered fresh fruit and juice, which was very nice. We definitely felt pampered after our long flight.

Our room (Room 152):
Pros: We stayed on the NON-ocean-front side of the hotel. It was nicely appointed, had many, many cable channels (not that you are going to watch that much TV in a fancy hotel located on the beach, anyway) and the bottled water was free. The maid service replenished soap and other Bvlgari products every day, whether you used them or not. They also came each evening for turn-down service with chocolates, which was very nice. Of course it also had a stocked mini-bar. If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen an ocean-front room. The hotel has an awesome view of the ocean; it would have been worth it. Really, I know it's a lot more, but I think it would have been worth it. The garden-view room was nice too, though. Just not "fabulous."

Cons: Throughout our stay the room had a very slight, weird odor—sometimes it was stronger; other times less so. It reminded me of the smell of a hampster or gerbil cage. It wasn't that big of a deal, and I'm sure it's hard to keep the room totally mildew free in that type of tropical environment; it was humorous more than anything else to my husband and me. Also, there was a mildew-ey growth in our shower behind the soap holder (and it was there the whole time we stayed—I'm sure it's still there). It could have easily been cleaned, and it was irritating knowing you're paying all this money and the bathroom is not being properly cleaned. (I'm assuming this outward sign of neglect is indicative of a general "slap-dash" cleaning of the bathroom, which I suppose might not be true.) Also, someone else mentioned that the shower is small. Oh yes, it is. You cannot get out of the stream of the water to soap up it's so small. I would think someone who is claustrophobic might have problems in that shower. It's that small. BUT, the shower head height is good and high (this is a problem for us tall people, as some hotels situate their shower head to hit my neck). But for the record, I'm totally nit-picking here about these cons, because overall the room rocked.

The staff:
Pros: Always polite and helpful, always willing to go out of their way to help us out, always willing to explain how something works in the hotel for us midwestern yokels (like the spa stuff) ...

Cons (Again, nit-picky): My husband and I have different last names. Though I explained to the girl at the check-in desk (not Ms. Fuentes) that we had different last names and watched her type his name in full into their system, he was called by my last name throughout the trip by every employee at the hotel (as the trip was booked in my name). Not a big deal, but when he signed for a bill with his name, the server came back and said the name did not match the room, so for the remainder of the trip I had to sign every bill or he had to forge my name. Now that was irritating (for him).

The hotel and grounds:
Pros: So beautiful! Really. It was a pleasure just to walk the hotel and grounds and feast your eyes on the art, the landscaping, the tastefully designed restaurants and floral arrangements and interior decor. The pool and surrounding grounds are so beautiful, and their beach is truly the best on the island. Really. The sand is sifted every day, I think, and the staff spends hours each morning preparing the pool and beach area for another memorable day in paradise for the guests. Such wonderful service! I felt truly pampered to be able to "live" in such posh surroundings if only for a week. In short, it all just felt "classy." We walked through a neighboring hotel that was supposed to be of a similar rating (The Westin) and it simply did not compare to the Ritz.

Cons: The ocean-front rooms are on the west side of the street, and the garden-view rooms are on the east side of the street. The two parts of the hotel are connected by a "hallway" that spans the road three stories up. (So cars drive under the walkway.) The Ritz has used this hallway as an art gallery, which is nice to peruse as your traverse the hallway for the 22nd time, but it grew old after a week. Maybe I'm lazy.

The restaurants:
Pros: Almost everything we ate at the Ritz restaurants was wonderful. (The only "meh" dinner was one we had a Periwinkles, but that may have been just what we ordered.) SEVEN is wonderful—don't miss the Sunday champagne brunch! YUM! (Everything at SEVEN was yummy!) Bar Jack's food was very good too. We didn't eat at Blue (my husband doesn't like seafood), but I thought it looked fabulous. The wine selections were also great. Even the lower-priced options were very good, and the higher-priced options were spectacular. Wine sommelier's help you with your selections: awesome! Don't be intimidated by the idea of the sommelier; we are no wine connoisseurs and we made that clear when the sommelier came over to the table. She asked us what types of wine we liked and what we were having for dinner, and she then offered several suggestion is a variety of price ranges. She was very nice and checked back with us several times to make sure we were enjoying the wine, offering us some background information on the winery, the region, the grape, etc. Service!

Cons: The expense, of course. But the food is truly wonderful. You're not paying a lot of money for mediocre food; it's really very very good. And the service was fabulous.

Other restaurants to visit:
EATS, definitely. Great breakfast! And only $20 U.S. for two people for eggs, toast, potatoes, bacon, coffee, juice (from concentrate) and toast. You can't beat that on Grand Cayman.

Calypso Grill: Oh, my, so yummy! Sticky toffee pudding: double yum! My husband, who doesn't like seafood, said they also did a great job on the chicken he ordered, as well as a root vegetable salad that was wonderful.

Wrap-up:
In general, I can't say enough good things about this hotel and our experience there. We spent a fair number of days just lolling by the pool sipping pina colada's and enjoying the view out to the beach. It was so, so relaxing and beautiful. It was like a dream. We struggled the last day or two to get in some time outside the resort because it was so easy to just stay there and enjoy the posh, "ritz-y" world they have created at this resort. Strolling down the white sand beach provides an awe-inspiring view of the ocean, and the sunsets are spectacular. (If you're a runner, you have GOT to run on this beach, as well; morning runs are best as the beach is much less crowded. And by the way, their workout room is excellent, with a large selection of cardio machines (each with its own TV and audio) all looking out to the garden side of the resort, a separate room for aerobics classes at regularly-scheduled times, free weights and weight machines, etc.)

• Liked — Posh surroundings and service, service, service!
  • Disliked — I think the biggest problem was that they never seemed to get that my husband's last name is different than mine.
6 Thank charky1971
midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

After reading all of the reviews in Trip Advisor I thought that I would be writing a stellar review myself but that's not the case. From the reviews it sounded like this place was going to be a real gem. My husband and I are middle class working folks who like to splurge when we travel. I'm not a big shopper and normally only spend money on our necessities. That's why when we travel we really appreciate staying at a fine hotel.

We stayed at the Ritz Grand Cayman over the Thanksgiving holiday. November 30th was the last day of Hurrican Season and the end of the low season. I always like to book the cheapest room at a really nice property hoping to get an upgrade. Didn't get an upgrade in this case. I do all of my research on TripAdvisor and always read how everyone is always getting an upgrade but hasn't happened to me yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We had the reconnect package which includes $100 credit each day plus breakfast for 2. This is really worth it since the buffet breakfast runs about $30 per person. Would highly recommend booking the reconnect package because it sure is nice to see credits on your final bill.

First: The Ritz has two buildings. One is on the ocean side and the 2nd one is across the street. The ocean side is where the Residences are plus they also rent ocean front rooms. This is definitely the most desirable side to be on. If you can swing the cost I would recommend staying here. The design of the hotel is in favor of The Residence so if you're can't pay the higher cost to be on the ocean side be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk.

Now for the other side: We had a room on the 4th floor, room 468 garden view. There was a garden view but also a view of 2 streets that run along side of the hotel. The street was probably 200 yards away and we really didn't hear too much traffic. The room was also very lovely.

For some reason the water in our room ran luke warm at best. After a couple of cold showers, my huband complained to the front desk several times and conditions improved our last day there. Also, for some reason, our TV turned on at 3am by itself. The front desk was able to fix this problem as well.

The walk: Well, let me tell you we didn't think that the walk across the street to the beach and pool area would be that big of a deal but after a while it became quite tiresome. I forgot to bring my book down to the beach and decided against going to get it because it would have been a 15 min trek. This was the biggest disapointment of our stay. Don't get me wrong the service was great, the pool and beach were beautiful, and the staff were wonderful. We just wouldn't stay across the street again.

We checked out the Westin next door which is directly on the beach. It's an older hotel and doesn't have the same ambiance as the Ritz but I would consider it to not have to walk 1/2 mile each way.

The Restaurants: We tried several restaurants outside of the resort and had some wonderful meals. The Cracked Conch, Copper Falls, Calypso Grill and Pappagallo. Calypso Grill was awesome and it was difficult to get a reservation even during low season so you should book in advance.

I would stay at this property again but only on the ocean side. Everything on the island is very, very, very expensive so brace yourself.

• Liked — Staff, very friendly
  • Disliked — Cold water in the shower
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Midwest14
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

Wow, whatta week!! This is really the only place on Grand Cayman where you can go away to, relax, and be completely pampered by the staff and all the amenities offered by the Ritz.

My better half and I went to the Caymans to get married, and after reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor, there was clearly only one choice on where to stay. And, after visiting the two other well rated good sized hotels on the island, we clearly made the right choice. If you are concerned about the price, do not hesitate, it is worth EVERY penny. But at the same time, if you are going to penny pinch when you get there, then go to the courtyard by marriott and walk by the Ritz everyday wondering why everyone you see looks so relaxed and happy. The Ritz is expensive, the restaurants are expensive, the drinks poolside are expensive (unless you take advantage of Bar Jacks happy hour), and the shops are expensive. You have been warned, now get over it...haha.

We arrived just after hurricane Paloma had passed, which for us, was the perfect time. The weather had cleared, and the hotel was only at 20% capacity. The first couple days there we walked around like we owned the place, and were treated as such.

The rooms look just like they do in the pictures, wow, surprising...haha. Obviously you really want to stay on the ocean side, its worth the price of admission. You get daily sunsets from your own private balcony that will knock your socks off (why are you wearing socks?? its 80 degrees all the time!!) The higher the floor the better I imagine, we got "stuck" on the PH level, also known as the 8th floor, in the middle of the hotel, room #825. The bathrooms are great with the dual vanities, the tub, the private toilet room (with its own phone of course), and people complain about the smallish stand up shower (but I didnt go to the Ritz just to shower). The room is restocked and cleaned several times a day which is great.

Because we were there for our wedding (not on property, got married at The Wharf which is close to George Town) we got the special room greeting (although they mistakenly did it on saturday night not on friday which was our wedding day, this was due to our original plan of being married on property on saturday night which we changed.) The champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Rose petals leading to the bed where there were several towel swans and a heart made from the sheets. Really nice and romantic!!! This seems like the norm for hotel, but appreciated anyways.

THINGS TO NOT FORGET TO DO:
Here are a few things we found that most will miss:

1. Visit the spa even if you aren't getting a treatment. The locker rooms were empty everytime we went to use them, and thats a shame. Pamper yourself in the spa, steam room, sauna, private showers and prep areas. Everything you need to relax and get ready for a big evening is there (and if it isn't just ask, they will get it for you), and best thing about it, its FREE. I shouldnt really say FREE, but its FREE, ok, its included in your resort fee/room rate. So use it.

2. Rent a car from the airport Avis or the Avis office in the hotel. Why would anyone want to pay $20 per person roundtrip to go just about anywhere from the hotel when you can rent a car for under $40 from the hotel. Also, they do not charge drop off fees like are common in the US. You can rent a car from the hotel and drop it off at the airport on your way off the island or vice versa. We did both, saved us a lot of cash, and it really is fun to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and explore this cute and very small island. Island drivers are very courteous when they see the white "tourist" plate on your car.

3. Go to Stingray City. There is no experience like it. Do not miss it. It doesnt matter who you pay to get there, they are all going the same place. We arranged a private boat tour with our group so we didn't use the regular boat arranged by the hotel.

4. Eat outside the Ritz. I do not have a single complaint about the food in the Ritz. The breakfast buffett was amazing (ours were included because we had a group with us, so I know we saved $69 a day). The happy hour at Bar Jack (5 beers and some chips and salsa for only $25). The truffle oil french fries with parmesean cheese from Periwinkles. But a very very short walk away is some fantastic food. We ate at Eats (great food anytime of the day - eat the fresh fish), Legends Bar (same menu as Eats but a sports bar atmosphere) and Yoshi sushi (by far the best sushi on the island and big bonus, half the price of anywhere else) which are in the same plaza just north of the Ritz. If you head south, go to Eduoardo's (italian) or Bamboo (foofey lounge atmosphere with really good asian appetizers and decent overpriced sushi) or Deckers (all you can eat lobster on tuesdays). All are within easy walking distance, so venture out, get some exercise.

5. Request that a fridge be put in your room prior to arrival and take a short walk down to Foster's Market to stock it with goodies you can enjoy during the week.

6. The bottled water left in the room multiple times a day by housekeeping is FREE. Drink it up, they will put more and more til you can't drink anymore. Most people do not seem to realize this because every other 5 star resort charges you 8 bucks a bottle ...haha ... not the Ritz

NOT PERFECT COMPLETELY THOUGH:
Now comes the "gripe" section. These are just minor things that shouldnt have happened in my mind.
1. The most important mistake was that the day my bride was getting ready for the ceremony, she had arranged for a stylist to come to the room and do her hair and make-up. Well, apparently the hotel staff has no clue where room #825 is. Since our room was located on the Penthouse floor (and no, there arent really penthouses up there, same rooms as others, just better view) the staff could not tell the stylist that the 8th floor is the "PH" button on the elevator on the ocean side. Because of this our entire schedule for our wedding day was 20 minutes delayed. This delayed the time we had for pre-wedding pictures, and rushed us to the ceremony to get it in while the sun set. To me there is no excuse for this mistake. Our stylist could not have known that the PH level was anything BUT the penthouse for the hotel. The staff should have known better.

2. Along with us we brought a group to the resort. Because of this we dealt with the group sales/wedding coordinator. Melinda was wonderful before, during, and after our trip. My minor gripe here was that just about everyone's bill was incorrect on the first try. Not sure whose "fault" it is, but accounting should have had a heads up on this, especially since the resort was no where near capacity during our stay.

Overall a great stay. Everyone you come in contact with is polite and in a great mood. Why wouldnt they be? They get to live on a beautiful island. We can't wait to get back and celebrate our anniversaries.

If anyone has any questions please feel to contact us. I'm sure I kept rabbling on, but probably left something interesting out to someone ... take care...

• Liked — Great service!! Great staff!! Great food!! And great value for the money.
  • Disliked — Too many young kids as the weekend approached. Leave the kids at home please, its our vacation too.
5 Thank Azgators
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

We just returned from a long weekend at the Ritz. The level of service we received from the minute we arrived on the property was great. The club level was not available do to seasonal remodeling but size and condition of our room was nice. The hotel was great. We had two issues during this stay. First, our maid service was not the best and came with a little bit of an attitude. Second, the food and beverage prices were really high even for the Ritz, $75.00 us for breakfast for two and $72.00 us for four small margaritas by the pool. We found several great restaurants very close for a much better deal.

• Liked — level of service
  • Disliked — cost
1 Thank kazootripper