“great stay”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We spent 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Grandcayman January 9 -13. Although our flight travel was terrible and we arrived a day late once our vacation began it was beautiful! Cab ride from the airport is around 15 minutes and cost around $22 U.S. We were upgraded for our 1-year anniversary to the 8th floor ocean side for $150 more than our originally booked price which was garden side. The room we were given is usually $300 more per night. They also presented us with a Ritz Carlton picture frame. As always you can count on the Ritz Carlton to provide you will all the little extras in your room..razors, shave cream, nail files, mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, free bottles of water daily a nice hairdryer, coffee maker with takeout cups and mugs...slippers robes are all in the room when you arrive. The mini bar was not that pricey - small bottle of soda $3.50.
We booked the reconnect package which includes $130 resort credit each day. We pre paid for this but thankfully Julio in reservations was able to help us out since we missed one night due to flight delays/ cancellations. The reconnect package is a nice deal you can use for golf, spa and some of the restaurants. The Blue Tip golf course is beautiful and provides you with your own personal caddy.
The breakfast in 7 Restaurant is a wonderful buffet, omelette station, eggs, pancakes, bagels, lox and fresh fruit.
The resort pool area is very nice and well staffed. Towel set ups and complimentary waters, passed cranberry and apple juices, rafts and magazines. In our opinion the Ritz Carlton is on the best part of the 7-mile beach. Also they have big round rafts anchored in front of the hotel - a short swim out. The water is what you would expect in the carribean turquoise and clear to the bottom
As with all Ritz Carltons you should expect to pay high prices. However, you are given pristine grounds, immaculate rooms and resort, the best trained hotel staff providing you top notch service, wonderful meals in every restaurant and you will truly feel like a vacation is supposed to feel..

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JT907
Write a ReviewReviews (3,090)

Reviewed 25 February 2009

I have always believed that you get what you pay for, and in this particular instance, the theory holds true. We recently celebrated our honeymoon at the Ritz in Grand Cayman, and honestly, we could not have picked a better hotel. Now, I know it is not cheap, and believe it or not, we were able to stay there on Marriott reward points, but we both agreed that knowing what we know now, we would have easily saved our money to get a standard room at that location. I say this because we also stayed at the Marriott one night, which I have reviewed, as well. I saw on this site that many people said they actually preferred the Marriott over the Ritz, and I have to wonder why they would admit such blasphemy. (I'm kidding of course, to each his own.) However, I really don't see how they could even compare the two properties. Anyway, the location is excellent. It is right in the middle of Seven Mile Beach. We were instantly greeted with a warm welcome from the bell staff, and then they announced us to the front desk using bluetooth headsets. The lobby is gorgeous and the hotel is really just top-notch in terms of decor. It also felt very lush and welcoming. We asked to be upgraded to an ocean view, but there were none available and it was an additional $330 per night to upgrade which I agree, is not easy to swallow. No matter, we had a lovely garden view room with a bed, desk, refrigerator, and overstuffed chair. The room was spotless, and the decor is a very calming yellow and green motif. Each room has a balcony equipped with a table and chairs - it was nice to sit out there and have wine. The bathroom is spacious with a separate stand-in shower and the Bvulgari products made the stay completely worth it to me. Our first day, we went to the pool to have a drink at sunset, and Nancy, the sweet server from Lake Havasu bought us our drink since we were on the honeymoon and then offered to make us dinner reservations at Seven - the property steakhouse. When we arrived at dinner, we were told reservations were full, and were taken to another location - a private dining cabana on the beach that Nancy had arranged as a surprise for us. It was amazing. Orlando, our server worked so hard and he was extremely attentive. The food was excellent - not cheap - but delicious. We both had filets and potatoes, a nice bottle of wine, and a caprese salad as an app. We also received a complimentary Congratulations dessert. I could go on and on about every single day, but my point being that the service is bar-none the best you will receive, and I don't know about you, but that is very important to me when on a vacation. The Silver Rain spa is quite outstanding - it is a La Prairie brand spa - and guests are welcome to use the facilities without checking in to work out or use the steam room/sauna, etc. The fitness center was packed every day, but they have multiple machines and every weight, medicine ball, resistance band you could imagine. There are headsets, towels, fruit, and water. They also have a small yoga studio with kickboxing equipment and stability balls. It's fabulous. The actual spa, in my opinion, was the best I have ever seen and equivalent to heaven. There is a gorgeous, plush relaxation room upstairs. We had a couple's massage and I had a facial - on separate days - and after each treatment we were given a private area and a glass of champagne. You also get to pick a music selection to listen to during treatment. Finally, our spa technicians arranged for rose petals in our room the next day and a card - which was very thoughtful. My husband played golf one day and his own caddie, golf cart, and engraved golf bag tag was included. He said the course was unbelievable and he loved his caddie. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. The breakfast buffet at Seven was excellent, and the room service was outstanding, as well. There are shops located in the hotel, including Tiffany, and an art gallery on the walk to the beach (there are 2 towers). No, it isn't a short walk, but isn't ridiculous like some people have described (and I have a knee problem and wore a brace the whole time) and besides - a little bit of exercise won't kill you! There is a shop downstairs with snacks, souvenirs, and toiletries. The pool is very nice - spacious - and we had no trouble finding chairs although there were a lot of people. They set up the chairs for you with padded terry cushions and towels. (about 100x better than the retched Marriott chairs) My only grimace was the amount of kids at the pool - sorry parents though this may be good news for your vacation. Again, the hotel is not cheap. We paid $30 for one strawberry daiquiri, a double, with Malibu rum - so.... Also, to access the internet, you have to get an access code and it's like $15.00 for 7 minutes or something crazy like that. It wasn't 100% perfect - we did encounter some slow service here and there. Overall, however, it was a magical stay, and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! We can't wait to return!

5  Thank AngelMel
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Stayed at the Ritz over President's Day weekend for four nights. Overall - a solid stay, very crowded, but tolerable given typical Ritz premium service and beautiful beach.

Mini babymoon for us - we chose an ocean front room to be close to the beach (the resort side didn't seem too far, maybe a 5-7 min walk) and to enjoy the view (loved the balcony and beautiful sunsets). We will probably go back as it seems like a kid friendly place, but the hotel is not a place to go to get away from kids.

Key takeaways:
* Ocean front room is the way to go, if you can justify paying a premium. The resort side is probably fine if you wake up early and hang out on the beach all day and pack efficiently (meaning you don't need to go back to your room to grab stuff). There are eight floors (3rd floor is main floor); we stayed on the 5th floor and we believe room 526 is in the center/middle of the hotel, with expansive views and directly overlooks the pool too).
* Beach is top-notch. Up there with Turks & Caicos and Cancun pre Hurricanes. Soft, white sand, perhaps 25 yards deep. Ocean is placid, turquoise, and the temperature is great. Hotel has plenty of water activities, including a great sleeper-floatie and snorkel gear (shore snorkeling is decent, we saw a stingray not too far from hotel; governor's reef is maybe 200 yards away). We ate lunch on the beach every day - service is good and food is decent, but expect to spend $30-40 per person.
* Get to the beach early to reserve a chair. The beach lounge chairs are great, with built-in shade. They pack em in like sardines though, so if you want a front row chair, you gotta get there by 715am to reserve it. Annoying, because a lot of guests reserve a chair early, but don't show up until the afternoon. The chair attendants are great, they'll set you up quickly with towels, but you must get there early or get stuck with a backrow seat. We were so frustrated by this that we sprung for a reserved day bed ($100 for the day) on the beach one day just to avoid the hassle (sad I know).
* Eat at Blue. We live in NYC and enjoy a good meal, but Blue is in my top 10 - same class as restaurants like Per Se, Sushi Yasuda and Babbo. You pay for it though - expect to pay $150 per person. The set menu was amazing, and the chef was kind enough to tweak the menu for my pregnant wife.
* Get to breakfast early. Our package (I think Rendevouz) included the buffet, which was good, but it gets super crowded after 830am.
* Pool looked okay. Very crowded, and they surround the pool with chairs side-by-side, so don't expect a lot of privacy. As such, we stayed away. The jacuzzi was disappointingly small, and packed with kids every time we walked by.
* Spa was pretty nice. Quiet, clean facilities on the resort side. Gym was fine as well, you won't be disappointed.
* Intangibles. Wifi Internet was free. Plenty of TV channels. Small gift shop with snacks was nice, but expensive.

3  Thank hoostraveler
Reviewed 21 February 2009

After reading the reviews about the hike from resort side rooms to the beach, upon arrival we asked if it would be possible to upgrade to an oceanside room since they were not at full capacity. We were given, at no additional cost, an oceanside 1 bedroom suite which was perfect for a family w/ two kids under 8. Room was perfect. While not a fan of large hotels, this hotel has everything you need to accommodate both adults and children. (Bring a flotation device for children who cannot swim as the pools are 4 feet deep at their lowest points.) The beach is gorgeous. Yes, there are a lot of chairs out which occupy a large portion of the beach, but just walk a couple of feet and you can have fun in the sand without anyone around you. Highly recommend taking one of the Ritz' boats out to Sting Ray City, especially if you're not a fan of being crammed into a bus. The kids also loved watching movies under the stars while we ate dinner and relaxed (and watched them from the table). Food is just good but considering this is a resort feeding hundreds of people, understandable. And yes, everything here is extremely expensive but you know that before you arrive. Service from the staff was impeccable. We also took the kids out on the golf course after 4pm. They loved it! And if you can get a massage in at the spa, Robert is amazing.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stayed at the resort for 8 days. Hotel and grounds beautiful. Service what you would expect. Loved the location on 7 mile beach. Found that the only thing lacking was the food service. Very expensive on a very expensive island that was nothing special, in fact they have perfected the $50 hamburger that any fast food place would not serve. The $40 breakfast buffet was poor as well. The evening dining was over priced for the quality. Very disappointing for such a nice setting. Ended going out side the hotel for several meals which were very good.
Resort closes up at 8 pm.

Reviewed 16 February 2009

Going in to our trip in Grand Cayman, we had grand plans to go around the island... but after getting lost (in a good way) at the Ritz, we fully took advantage of its stellar location on Seven Mile Beach. My one advice -- there's no need to pay for any snorkel trips if you're staying here. Part of your resort fee includes numerous water-sports equipment, including snorkeling gear. All you have to do is go straight out from the hotel and swim out a little past the white conical buoy, and there's a great coral reef with amazing fish/stingrays, etc. Its only 12 feet deep there, as well.
Definitely take advantage of this if you have the smallest inclination to go snorkeling!

• Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have read many reviews on Trip Advisor, although I have never written one of my own, until now.

First, let me start with the pros because believe me there were definitely some great things about the hotel.

The beach is AMAZING!!! I have visited many islands in the caribbean, I would say this was the nicest beach by far. The ocean is so blue it looks like pool water.

The food at the hotel is very, very good. We had breakfast at 7 every morning which was wonderful! We also ate at restaura7 a couple of nights, which was also very good.

Most of the staff at the hotel are very accomodating, polite, and gracious. This includes, housekeeping, the waitstaff, pool attendants, and the employees who give out the snorkel equipment and rafts.

Now, let me list the cons:

Upon check-in we asked to be changed to ocean front rooms. We had booked resort view connecting rooms but after seeing how enormous the hotel was we decided we would prefer to upgrade to ocean front. We have two small children and the walk from the resort side was a good 15 minutes each way. You better not forget anything in the room. The rooms were on the small side, not at all what one would expect from a Ritz Carlton. We were told there was NO availability oceanside. Clearly the hotel was not at full capacity. I even said I would take 1 ocean front room and cram my family in just to avoid the long walk from our room to the beach and pool.

The woman at the front desk was very rude and very unhelpful. She also said they had a 1 bedroom suite available ocean side but we couldn't have it because she was holding it for a family that had not yet decided if they wanted it or not. She told me to check back the following day. This was unacceptable to my husband and I.

Did I mention that I was able to book 2 ocean front rooms on the Internet for our remaining time period that very same day. They insisted the rooms were still not available and that perhaps the website wasn't updated. Not true.

We made the long trek back to our resort view rooms and immediately called to speak to a Manager about our situation.

The Manager was very nice but also stated they probably did not have anything available. We were so upset we asked to leave the resort. Amazing that a one bedroom ocean front suite miraculously became available. He offered us the room at the same price as the two rooms. The suite was AMAZING! Fully equipped kitchen with a sub-zero fridge and Viking appliances. The proximity to the beach could not have been better.

I just wish we didn't have to push so hard to get this room. It really ruined an entire day for us. We told many of the guests we met about our experience and they all seemed to go through the same problems and will also not return to the Ritz GC.

The pool is definitely not kid friendly. It's not a zero entry pool so if your child is under 5' tall, and not a good swimmer, make sure you bring a flotation device.

As others have stated the prices are incredibly inflated. I walked to the Food Mart which is about a 3 minute walk and stocked up on snacks for the kids and wine for the adults. The grocery store is expensive but nothing like the hotel. A pina colada at the hotel was $20 US. A meal at 7 is no less than $250 if you each have a glass of wine.

I highly recommend going to stingray city. If you can, book through Captain Marvin and not the Ritz. If you book through Captain Marvin you will pay $40 per adult and $28 per child. Through the RC it was $130 per adult and $65 per child. What a wonderful experience. My 5 year old even got in the water with the sting rays.

I have travelled throught the Caribbean and would not recommend the Cayman Island experience. The Ritz Carlton is built like it should be located in a large city. It has no charm, personality, intimacy or Caribbean soul. Frankly, neither does the Grand Cayman Island experience. It's not worth going into the capital city of Georgetown. Nothing exists in Town that caters to tourists on vacation. It is comprised of cement and more cement. There is no charm whatsoever.

Given the extraordinarily high cost of living there are many, many Caribbean Islands better suited to family vacations.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank paigeandelle
Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!