I will try not to repeat more than necessary of what others have already said about the Ritz and Grand Cayman.
First, and this bears repeating, the Ritz has GREAT service. You ask for directions, they don't direct you, they escort you. You go to the beach, they set up your very comfy lounge chair and come by with complimentary drink samples and take your order for whatever else you want. You ask for it, they will make it happen. Everyone who works there was very nice to us. I have to say we witnessed that some of the guests were not so nice to the employees, so maybe that explains some of the bad experiences?
To save $, go to Fosters grocery store. We walked. The Ritz says they will charge to empty the minibar, but we weren't charged. It was nice not to have to dress and go eat every meal, not to mention the cost, and to spend some time lounging in our wonderful room or on the balcony. A note - the balcony doors are set up so that the A/C in the room will not work if the door is open or ajar, so make sure you completely shut it. (We wanted to sit on the balcony with the A/C pouring out to cool us off, but their engineers
were smarter than that. :-)
The beach is as beautiful as any in Hawaii and the water is very clear. No seaweed either, at least not at the Ritz. We found this to be different in other parts of the island. The water is also very calm.
Go to Stingray City with Captain Marvin's, a close walk from the hotel to book it, and they will pick you up at the Ritz the day of your trip. We did this and also went on a scuba dive with Red Sail. Captain Marvin's was better, if for no other reason the staff, and it was less $. If I didn't do anything else while in Grand Cayman, I would do this. Petting the stingrays was so cool, and through Captain Marvin's you get to make a snorkel stop, which wasn't offered by Red Sail. The snorkel stop was almost as much fun as the stingray stop.
We rented a TINY car through the hotel, not very much $ and fun. We drove around the island and checked out the other beaches, snorkeled some, and enjoyed seeing local life. The Ritz has the best beach. We used valet parking b/c it was fun, but you can park for free along the side of the hotel.
We used the rental car to drive to Calypso Grill one night for dinner, which was my favorite meal. The best tuna I've ever had in my life, it had some kind of ginger sauce on it. Go before it gets dark and sit outside.
We had dinner on the beach catered by Seven a few times (we were with a group), and it was very good.
We went to Copperfalls Steakhouse for dinner. Not fancy like I'd thought but good food & a beautiful view, again. The waiters are used to being asked to take pictures of their guests when the sun sets. Ask the concierge what time is best if you want to see the sunset, and they'll make your reservations and get a cab for you. They recommended a cab there and a walk along the beach back. It was a nice, romantic walk.
Eats Cafe was okay and inexpensive. We only had lunch. I've heard breakfast is better if you're morning people. We aren't.
We also checked out a few movies from the concierge on a rainy day.
Ladies, check out the spa! Ohmygoodness, it was amazing! And you're paying for it in your resort fee anyway. Don't take anything with you, everything you need is there. You get a locker with a robe and slippers, then go to the whirlpool and sauna. They have wonderful flavored ice water outside the sauna. I've tried to duplicate it after getting home but I haven't been able to yet! The showers have shower gel, shampoo & conditioner and the dressing room has hair dryers, brushes, combs, hairspray, hair gel, Q-tips, deoderant, etc. there for you to use when you are finished and take with you. They give you a bag to take everything back in. I still use it. And they have vanities with cosmetics for you to try also. I wish I'd checked it out earlier in our stay, it was wonderful. I couldn't stomach the spa prices, but even if you don't get a spa treatment, go to the spa.
One souvenir I brought back for myself is my Ritz robe. I got the kind they furnish in the rooms and I love it. We have been back 7 months and my husband asked me this a.m. why he didn't get a robe to bring home too. They are lightweight and a nice reminder of our trip.
I also stocked up on Bulgari toiletries during our stay. You can't possibly use all they give you, but I still asked a housekeeper for extra soap, and she gave me three large bars. I recently looked online to order more and found that the soap is $10/bar on ebay.
We went without our kids but I wouldn't hesitate taking them. The pools are beautiful and there was plenty of room on the beach when we were there in the summer. I did not see any obnoxious kids as some have said.
One cab driver said "They call it Grand Cayman because you can't get far without a grand." True. But the hotel was SO worth it, absolutely the place to be pampered and enjoy beautiful surroundings. Grand Cayman itself isn't much to see as far as scenery goes, but the beach and water are beautiful and clean, the people are nice and friendly, and it's safe. But it was the hotel that made the trip for me. I'd go back to the Ritz in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury two-tower resort where sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. With a resort side including resort and garden view rooms and an ocean side for ocean view rooms the property runs from sound to sea. Residential towers are located on the ocean side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman Cayman Islands