“You get what you pay for-AMAZING!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You get what you pay for-AMAZING!”
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Again, wont repeat the unnecessary details reviewd by other members. My husband and I stayed at the Ritz using Marriott reward points that we acrued from our wedding event. This was an amazing resort. I would not recommend staying at any other place. I am very hard to please, and the Ritz (esp, Lavinia) far exceeded our expectations. The staff is over -friendly and very polite. Please say "Good Morning" to everyone. Islanders consider it rude to walk by and put down your head without acknowledging the presence of another human being...refreshing change from the East coast mentality!

Even though it was a free 5-day stay (marriott award points), the reservation desk upgraded us to a pool view room with our own private terrace! Can't beat that. We also were celebrating my husbands birthday and I have to agree with other reviewers, the restaurant called 7 had a private cabana set up for us as a surprise. We also had Orlando as our server, what a great guy!
When we got back to the room, there was a great gift waiting for us in the room. A ritz carlton photo frame, candle, and body gel with a card saying Happy Birthday from Ritz!!

Room service/housekeeping 2x a day with nightly turn-down service and chocolate treat on our pillow.

The pool was a bit cold (not heated), but the caribbean sun was warm . Definitely try the Spa , amazing!
Take a $2.50 bus ride (actually minivans that stop on the side of the road filled with other tourists) to Georgetown where you will find alot of jewelry stores at discount prices and great places to eat .

In sum , I am so glad we stayed at the Ritz (our first time in a Ritz property). The internet is free (not sure if it is because of the season). We are going back tomorrow to the DC area refreshed as ever, and ready to tackle the cold.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pishihapoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel Feb1-7, 2009. The hotel is lovely.
We had one issue. Our room developed a very bad wrotten smell. We called housekeeping and they sprayed the room, which did not work. Noone called to see if that took care of the issue for us.... We called the front desk later that evening asking to have a room change and were moved to a different room. Again, noone from management called to check the issue. The bellman who came to help us move, told us it definately smelled like a dead rat. I feel the management of a 5 star hotel would have checked with us to see if the issue had been resloved. Their only comment to us was it was not the fault of the hotel. I assure you, it was not OUR fault and it would have been very nice to get a note under our door from management apologizing for the entire event....until we decided to pursue, we heard from noone...management should have been made aware of our problem by housekeeping or the front desk.
The hotel grounds are beautiful. Very nice pools, although they are not heated pools. Nice beach with a friendly staff to help you. We never ate at the hotel because of the high prices and we prefer to have a view of the water and flavor of the island.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank madisonal
Arkansas, USA
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I will try not to repeat more than necessary of what others have already said about the Ritz and Grand Cayman.

First, and this bears repeating, the Ritz has GREAT service. You ask for directions, they don't direct you, they escort you. You go to the beach, they set up your very comfy lounge chair and come by with complimentary drink samples and take your order for whatever else you want. You ask for it, they will make it happen. Everyone who works there was very nice to us. I have to say we witnessed that some of the guests were not so nice to the employees, so maybe that explains some of the bad experiences?

To save $, go to Fosters grocery store. We walked. The Ritz says they will charge to empty the minibar, but we weren't charged. It was nice not to have to dress and go eat every meal, not to mention the cost, and to spend some time lounging in our wonderful room or on the balcony. A note - the balcony doors are set up so that the A/C in the room will not work if the door is open or ajar, so make sure you completely shut it. (We wanted to sit on the balcony with the A/C pouring out to cool us off, but their engineers
were smarter than that. :-)

The beach is as beautiful as any in Hawaii and the water is very clear. No seaweed either, at least not at the Ritz. We found this to be different in other parts of the island. The water is also very calm.

Go to Stingray City with Captain Marvin's, a close walk from the hotel to book it, and they will pick you up at the Ritz the day of your trip. We did this and also went on a scuba dive with Red Sail. Captain Marvin's was better, if for no other reason the staff, and it was less $. If I didn't do anything else while in Grand Cayman, I would do this. Petting the stingrays was so cool, and through Captain Marvin's you get to make a snorkel stop, which wasn't offered by Red Sail. The snorkel stop was almost as much fun as the stingray stop.

We rented a TINY car through the hotel, not very much $ and fun. We drove around the island and checked out the other beaches, snorkeled some, and enjoyed seeing local life. The Ritz has the best beach. We used valet parking b/c it was fun, but you can park for free along the side of the hotel.

We used the rental car to drive to Calypso Grill one night for dinner, which was my favorite meal. The best tuna I've ever had in my life, it had some kind of ginger sauce on it. Go before it gets dark and sit outside.

We had dinner on the beach catered by Seven a few times (we were with a group), and it was very good.

We went to Copperfalls Steakhouse for dinner. Not fancy like I'd thought but good food & a beautiful view, again. The waiters are used to being asked to take pictures of their guests when the sun sets. Ask the concierge what time is best if you want to see the sunset, and they'll make your reservations and get a cab for you. They recommended a cab there and a walk along the beach back. It was a nice, romantic walk.

Eats Cafe was okay and inexpensive. We only had lunch. I've heard breakfast is better if you're morning people. We aren't.

We also checked out a few movies from the concierge on a rainy day.

Ladies, check out the spa! Ohmygoodness, it was amazing! And you're paying for it in your resort fee anyway. Don't take anything with you, everything you need is there. You get a locker with a robe and slippers, then go to the whirlpool and sauna. They have wonderful flavored ice water outside the sauna. I've tried to duplicate it after getting home but I haven't been able to yet! The showers have shower gel, shampoo & conditioner and the dressing room has hair dryers, brushes, combs, hairspray, hair gel, Q-tips, deoderant, etc. there for you to use when you are finished and take with you. They give you a bag to take everything back in. I still use it. And they have vanities with cosmetics for you to try also. I wish I'd checked it out earlier in our stay, it was wonderful. I couldn't stomach the spa prices, but even if you don't get a spa treatment, go to the spa.

One souvenir I brought back for myself is my Ritz robe. I got the kind they furnish in the rooms and I love it. We have been back 7 months and my husband asked me this a.m. why he didn't get a robe to bring home too. They are lightweight and a nice reminder of our trip.

I also stocked up on Bulgari toiletries during our stay. You can't possibly use all they give you, but I still asked a housekeeper for extra soap, and she gave me three large bars. I recently looked online to order more and found that the soap is $10/bar on ebay.

We went without our kids but I wouldn't hesitate taking them. The pools are beautiful and there was plenty of room on the beach when we were there in the summer. I did not see any obnoxious kids as some have said.

One cab driver said "They call it Grand Cayman because you can't get far without a grand." True. But the hotel was SO worth it, absolutely the place to be pampered and enjoy beautiful surroundings. Grand Cayman itself isn't much to see as far as scenery goes, but the beach and water are beautiful and clean, the people are nice and friendly, and it's safe. But it was the hotel that made the trip for me. I'd go back to the Ritz in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank southernbelle008
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 February 2009

There is really no reason to leave the hotel. I have been to other Caribbean Islands that were more scenic and had more to do so I am glad we chose the Ritz Carlton. The staff is attentive and friendly, great location, water equipment for guests use and some pretty good restaurants.

The golf course was fair but it was great to have a caddy improve our game in the windy conditions. Green fees were high but my husband and I were able to play on our own and the next tee time after us was two hours later so we could take our time.

We ventured away form the hotel for a visit to Rum Point and regretted it the moment we got there. Why would we leave the luxury of the Ritz Carlton for an overcrowded and loud beach?

The island is lovely and nice to drive around but the RItz Carlton is really the only place to stay. Oh, and it wasn't crowded at all for the week after President's Day.

2 Thank WhoWantsToGo
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We spent 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton Grandcayman January 9 -13. Although our flight travel was terrible and we arrived a day late once our vacation began it was beautiful! Cab ride from the airport is around 15 minutes and cost around $22 U.S. We were upgraded for our 1-year anniversary to the 8th floor ocean side for $150 more than our originally booked price which was garden side. The room we were given is usually $300 more per night. They also presented us with a Ritz Carlton picture frame. As always you can count on the Ritz Carlton to provide you will all the little extras in your room..razors, shave cream, nail files, mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, free bottles of water daily a nice hairdryer, coffee maker with takeout cups and mugs...slippers robes are all in the room when you arrive. The mini bar was not that pricey - small bottle of soda $3.50.
We booked the reconnect package which includes $130 resort credit each day. We pre paid for this but thankfully Julio in reservations was able to help us out since we missed one night due to flight delays/ cancellations. The reconnect package is a nice deal you can use for golf, spa and some of the restaurants. The Blue Tip golf course is beautiful and provides you with your own personal caddy.
The breakfast in 7 Restaurant is a wonderful buffet, omelette station, eggs, pancakes, bagels, lox and fresh fruit.
The resort pool area is very nice and well staffed. Towel set ups and complimentary waters, passed cranberry and apple juices, rafts and magazines. In our opinion the Ritz Carlton is on the best part of the 7-mile beach. Also they have big round rafts anchored in front of the hotel - a short swim out. The water is what you would expect in the carribean turquoise and clear to the bottom
As with all Ritz Carltons you should expect to pay high prices. However, you are given pristine grounds, immaculate rooms and resort, the best trained hotel staff providing you top notch service, wonderful meals in every restaurant and you will truly feel like a vacation is supposed to feel..

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JT907
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I have always believed that you get what you pay for, and in this particular instance, the theory holds true. We recently celebrated our honeymoon at the Ritz in Grand Cayman, and honestly, we could not have picked a better hotel. Now, I know it is not cheap, and believe it or not, we were able to stay there on Marriott reward points, but we both agreed that knowing what we know now, we would have easily saved our money to get a standard room at that location. I say this because we also stayed at the Marriott one night, which I have reviewed, as well. I saw on this site that many people said they actually preferred the Marriott over the Ritz, and I have to wonder why they would admit such blasphemy. (I'm kidding of course, to each his own.) However, I really don't see how they could even compare the two properties. Anyway, the location is excellent. It is right in the middle of Seven Mile Beach. We were instantly greeted with a warm welcome from the bell staff, and then they announced us to the front desk using bluetooth headsets. The lobby is gorgeous and the hotel is really just top-notch in terms of decor. It also felt very lush and welcoming. We asked to be upgraded to an ocean view, but there were none available and it was an additional $330 per night to upgrade which I agree, is not easy to swallow. No matter, we had a lovely garden view room with a bed, desk, refrigerator, and overstuffed chair. The room was spotless, and the decor is a very calming yellow and green motif. Each room has a balcony equipped with a table and chairs - it was nice to sit out there and have wine. The bathroom is spacious with a separate stand-in shower and the Bvulgari products made the stay completely worth it to me. Our first day, we went to the pool to have a drink at sunset, and Nancy, the sweet server from Lake Havasu bought us our drink since we were on the honeymoon and then offered to make us dinner reservations at Seven - the property steakhouse. When we arrived at dinner, we were told reservations were full, and were taken to another location - a private dining cabana on the beach that Nancy had arranged as a surprise for us. It was amazing. Orlando, our server worked so hard and he was extremely attentive. The food was excellent - not cheap - but delicious. We both had filets and potatoes, a nice bottle of wine, and a caprese salad as an app. We also received a complimentary Congratulations dessert. I could go on and on about every single day, but my point being that the service is bar-none the best you will receive, and I don't know about you, but that is very important to me when on a vacation. The Silver Rain spa is quite outstanding - it is a La Prairie brand spa - and guests are welcome to use the facilities without checking in to work out or use the steam room/sauna, etc. The fitness center was packed every day, but they have multiple machines and every weight, medicine ball, resistance band you could imagine. There are headsets, towels, fruit, and water. They also have a small yoga studio with kickboxing equipment and stability balls. It's fabulous. The actual spa, in my opinion, was the best I have ever seen and equivalent to heaven. There is a gorgeous, plush relaxation room upstairs. We had a couple's massage and I had a facial - on separate days - and after each treatment we were given a private area and a glass of champagne. You also get to pick a music selection to listen to during treatment. Finally, our spa technicians arranged for rose petals in our room the next day and a card - which was very thoughtful. My husband played golf one day and his own caddie, golf cart, and engraved golf bag tag was included. He said the course was unbelievable and he loved his caddie. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. The breakfast buffet at Seven was excellent, and the room service was outstanding, as well. There are shops located in the hotel, including Tiffany, and an art gallery on the walk to the beach (there are 2 towers). No, it isn't a short walk, but isn't ridiculous like some people have described (and I have a knee problem and wore a brace the whole time) and besides - a little bit of exercise won't kill you! There is a shop downstairs with snacks, souvenirs, and toiletries. The pool is very nice - spacious - and we had no trouble finding chairs although there were a lot of people. They set up the chairs for you with padded terry cushions and towels. (about 100x better than the retched Marriott chairs) My only grimace was the amount of kids at the pool - sorry parents though this may be good news for your vacation. Again, the hotel is not cheap. We paid $30 for one strawberry daiquiri, a double, with Malibu rum - so.... Also, to access the internet, you have to get an access code and it's like $15.00 for 7 minutes or something crazy like that. It wasn't 100% perfect - we did encounter some slow service here and there. Overall, however, it was a magical stay, and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! We can't wait to return!

5 Thank AngelMel
NYC
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Stayed at the Ritz over President's Day weekend for four nights. Overall - a solid stay, very crowded, but tolerable given typical Ritz premium service and beautiful beach.

Mini babymoon for us - we chose an ocean front room to be close to the beach (the resort side didn't seem too far, maybe a 5-7 min walk) and to enjoy the view (loved the balcony and beautiful sunsets). We will probably go back as it seems like a kid friendly place, but the hotel is not a place to go to get away from kids.

Key takeaways:
* Ocean front room is the way to go, if you can justify paying a premium. The resort side is probably fine if you wake up early and hang out on the beach all day and pack efficiently (meaning you don't need to go back to your room to grab stuff). There are eight floors (3rd floor is main floor); we stayed on the 5th floor and we believe room 526 is in the center/middle of the hotel, with expansive views and directly overlooks the pool too).
* Beach is top-notch. Up there with Turks & Caicos and Cancun pre Hurricanes. Soft, white sand, perhaps 25 yards deep. Ocean is placid, turquoise, and the temperature is great. Hotel has plenty of water activities, including a great sleeper-floatie and snorkel gear (shore snorkeling is decent, we saw a stingray not too far from hotel; governor's reef is maybe 200 yards away). We ate lunch on the beach every day - service is good and food is decent, but expect to spend $30-40 per person.
* Get to the beach early to reserve a chair. The beach lounge chairs are great, with built-in shade. They pack em in like sardines though, so if you want a front row chair, you gotta get there by 715am to reserve it. Annoying, because a lot of guests reserve a chair early, but don't show up until the afternoon. The chair attendants are great, they'll set you up quickly with towels, but you must get there early or get stuck with a backrow seat. We were so frustrated by this that we sprung for a reserved day bed ($100 for the day) on the beach one day just to avoid the hassle (sad I know).
* Eat at Blue. We live in NYC and enjoy a good meal, but Blue is in my top 10 - same class as restaurants like Per Se, Sushi Yasuda and Babbo. You pay for it though - expect to pay $150 per person. The set menu was amazing, and the chef was kind enough to tweak the menu for my pregnant wife.
* Get to breakfast early. Our package (I think Rendevouz) included the buffet, which was good, but it gets super crowded after 830am.
* Pool looked okay. Very crowded, and they surround the pool with chairs side-by-side, so don't expect a lot of privacy. As such, we stayed away. The jacuzzi was disappointingly small, and packed with kids every time we walked by.
* Spa was pretty nice. Quiet, clean facilities on the resort side. Gym was fine as well, you won't be disappointed.
* Intangibles. Wifi Internet was free. Plenty of TV channels. Small gift shop with snacks was nice, but expensive.

3 Thank hoostraveler