“Great Family Spring Break”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Just returned from a 6 night stay with 2 teenagers. This hotelis great for families of all ages. It is nicer and cleaner than the Westin and the Marriott. The location on Seven Mile beach is fantastic. Service was top knotch. We have stayed a several of the Four Seasons properties over spring break and found this Ritz to be better than, Nevis, Great Exuma and Maui. The staff did a great job accomodating the near capacity hotel. We did not wait for ttables. The food in Blue was great, but, very!!!!! pricy. Seven the steak house restraunt was a better value for families. The casual restraunts were also very good. Beware the prices in the Caymans are very high. Two Virgin Frozen drinks by the pool will be $20.00 U.S. Dinners for 4 without expensive wine will run $200-$300. Off site we ate at Luna, a short a walk on the beach. The food at Luna is modern Italian. A cab ride will get you to the Wharf or Calypso. Forget the Wharf...but Calypso is worth the extra $50.00 for the round trip cab ride.
For activities, a trip to StingRay City with Blue Fin that leaves directly from the Ritz is great. The boats hold 8 people and will take you to secluded spots for snorkeling. Cayman is a big stop with the Cruise lines. We never went to Georgetown because we heard it is crawling with cruisers. The hotel has great kid and family activities through their Ambassadors of the Environment program.
We had probably had one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel and it was fine for a family of 4. As reported by others, there is a walk to the beach via an enclosed bridge from the lagoon side of the hotel. We didn't find this a problem. We were also closer to the Spa, Gym , and quiet pool.
Workout facilities are some of the best I have seen in a hotel. The spa was also very nice.
Flights from the US are convenient. Continental, Delta, US Air and American all service the Island. Cayman Air flies direct from Several Us. cities.

If you go to the Caymans splurge and stay at the Ritz. The Marriot and Westin are dated.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank onmyway

Reviewed 18 March 2009

My husband and I just got back from the Ritz in Grand Cayman - we were there from March 9 - 13th. It was amazing!! We were there to celebrate my 40th birthday and it ended up being like a 2nd honeymoon! If you have stayed at a Ritz before you know what to expect, top notch service in all aspects. We loved the location. The beach is beautiful. We are not beach people usually, more of pool people but we preferred the beach here. We never had trouble getting seats, not sure what other people are talking about. Dining - we ate at Blue and it was one of our favorite dining experiences in all aspects. The restaurant itself, service and the food was incredible! Well worth the price - it was about $320 American, we each had the 3 course price fix and 2 drinks each. We also ate at Periwinkle which we loved - casual tapas food! My husband did research and we ate at off property restaurants that I wanted to share as well. Copper Falls Steak House, Calypso Grill, Casa Havana for dinner. For lunch we loved Sunshine Grill - right across from the Westin - amazing fish tacos, quesdillas and burgers! Eats cafe is also across from there and great for lunch and breakfast! We also ate by the pool and on the beach but wanted to get away and talk a walk at times so we explored!! I cannot wait to go back to Grand Cayman. It is a great destination!!

1  Thank dreinhardt
Reviewed 7 March 2009

So good to get away from the snow in New England, especially since our room is completely paid for by the conference my husband is attending. The bed is very comfortable, the tub and separate shower are big, and the free internet works perfectly. Staff here are helpful, friendly, and seem to enjoy helping visitors. Our room has a balcony, with chairs and a table, looking over the pool, the sand, and the ocean.

The beach faces west, so the sunsets are spectacular.

1  Thank betsythedevine
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Again, wont repeat the unnecessary details reviewd by other members. My husband and I stayed at the Ritz using Marriott reward points that we acrued from our wedding event. This was an amazing resort. I would not recommend staying at any other place. I am very hard to please, and the Ritz (esp, Lavinia) far exceeded our expectations. The staff is over -friendly and very polite. Please say "Good Morning" to everyone. Islanders consider it rude to walk by and put down your head without acknowledging the presence of another human being...refreshing change from the East coast mentality!

Even though it was a free 5-day stay (marriott award points), the reservation desk upgraded us to a pool view room with our own private terrace! Can't beat that. We also were celebrating my husbands birthday and I have to agree with other reviewers, the restaurant called 7 had a private cabana set up for us as a surprise. We also had Orlando as our server, what a great guy!
When we got back to the room, there was a great gift waiting for us in the room. A ritz carlton photo frame, candle, and body gel with a card saying Happy Birthday from Ritz!!

Room service/housekeeping 2x a day with nightly turn-down service and chocolate treat on our pillow.

The pool was a bit cold (not heated), but the caribbean sun was warm . Definitely try the Spa , amazing!
Take a $2.50 bus ride (actually minivans that stop on the side of the road filled with other tourists) to Georgetown where you will find alot of jewelry stores at discount prices and great places to eat .

In sum , I am so glad we stayed at the Ritz (our first time in a Ritz property). The internet is free (not sure if it is because of the season). We are going back tomorrow to the DC area refreshed as ever, and ready to tackle the cold.

1  Thank pishihapoo
Reviewed 28 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel Feb1-7, 2009. The hotel is lovely.
We had one issue. Our room developed a very bad wrotten smell. We called housekeeping and they sprayed the room, which did not work. Noone called to see if that took care of the issue for us.... We called the front desk later that evening asking to have a room change and were moved to a different room. Again, noone from management called to check the issue. The bellman who came to help us move, told us it definately smelled like a dead rat. I feel the management of a 5 star hotel would have checked with us to see if the issue had been resloved. Their only comment to us was it was not the fault of the hotel. I assure you, it was not OUR fault and it would have been very nice to get a note under our door from management apologizing for the entire event....until we decided to pursue, we heard from noone...management should have been made aware of our problem by housekeeping or the front desk.
The hotel grounds are beautiful. Very nice pools, although they are not heated pools. Nice beach with a friendly staff to help you. We never ate at the hotel because of the high prices and we prefer to have a view of the water and flavor of the island.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank madisonal
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I will try not to repeat more than necessary of what others have already said about the Ritz and Grand Cayman.

First, and this bears repeating, the Ritz has GREAT service. You ask for directions, they don't direct you, they escort you. You go to the beach, they set up your very comfy lounge chair and come by with complimentary drink samples and take your order for whatever else you want. You ask for it, they will make it happen. Everyone who works there was very nice to us. I have to say we witnessed that some of the guests were not so nice to the employees, so maybe that explains some of the bad experiences?

To save $, go to Fosters grocery store. We walked. The Ritz says they will charge to empty the minibar, but we weren't charged. It was nice not to have to dress and go eat every meal, not to mention the cost, and to spend some time lounging in our wonderful room or on the balcony. A note - the balcony doors are set up so that the A/C in the room will not work if the door is open or ajar, so make sure you completely shut it. (We wanted to sit on the balcony with the A/C pouring out to cool us off, but their engineers
were smarter than that. :-)

The beach is as beautiful as any in Hawaii and the water is very clear. No seaweed either, at least not at the Ritz. We found this to be different in other parts of the island. The water is also very calm.

Go to Stingray City with Captain Marvin's, a close walk from the hotel to book it, and they will pick you up at the Ritz the day of your trip. We did this and also went on a scuba dive with Red Sail. Captain Marvin's was better, if for no other reason the staff, and it was less $. If I didn't do anything else while in Grand Cayman, I would do this. Petting the stingrays was so cool, and through Captain Marvin's you get to make a snorkel stop, which wasn't offered by Red Sail. The snorkel stop was almost as much fun as the stingray stop.

We rented a TINY car through the hotel, not very much $ and fun. We drove around the island and checked out the other beaches, snorkeled some, and enjoyed seeing local life. The Ritz has the best beach. We used valet parking b/c it was fun, but you can park for free along the side of the hotel.

We used the rental car to drive to Calypso Grill one night for dinner, which was my favorite meal. The best tuna I've ever had in my life, it had some kind of ginger sauce on it. Go before it gets dark and sit outside.

We had dinner on the beach catered by Seven a few times (we were with a group), and it was very good.

We went to Copperfalls Steakhouse for dinner. Not fancy like I'd thought but good food & a beautiful view, again. The waiters are used to being asked to take pictures of their guests when the sun sets. Ask the concierge what time is best if you want to see the sunset, and they'll make your reservations and get a cab for you. They recommended a cab there and a walk along the beach back. It was a nice, romantic walk.

Eats Cafe was okay and inexpensive. We only had lunch. I've heard breakfast is better if you're morning people. We aren't.

We also checked out a few movies from the concierge on a rainy day.

Ladies, check out the spa! Ohmygoodness, it was amazing! And you're paying for it in your resort fee anyway. Don't take anything with you, everything you need is there. You get a locker with a robe and slippers, then go to the whirlpool and sauna. They have wonderful flavored ice water outside the sauna. I've tried to duplicate it after getting home but I haven't been able to yet! The showers have shower gel, shampoo & conditioner and the dressing room has hair dryers, brushes, combs, hairspray, hair gel, Q-tips, deoderant, etc. there for you to use when you are finished and take with you. They give you a bag to take everything back in. I still use it. And they have vanities with cosmetics for you to try also. I wish I'd checked it out earlier in our stay, it was wonderful. I couldn't stomach the spa prices, but even if you don't get a spa treatment, go to the spa.

One souvenir I brought back for myself is my Ritz robe. I got the kind they furnish in the rooms and I love it. We have been back 7 months and my husband asked me this a.m. why he didn't get a robe to bring home too. They are lightweight and a nice reminder of our trip.

I also stocked up on Bulgari toiletries during our stay. You can't possibly use all they give you, but I still asked a housekeeper for extra soap, and she gave me three large bars. I recently looked online to order more and found that the soap is $10/bar on ebay.

We went without our kids but I wouldn't hesitate taking them. The pools are beautiful and there was plenty of room on the beach when we were there in the summer. I did not see any obnoxious kids as some have said.

One cab driver said "They call it Grand Cayman because you can't get far without a grand." True. But the hotel was SO worth it, absolutely the place to be pampered and enjoy beautiful surroundings. Grand Cayman itself isn't much to see as far as scenery goes, but the beach and water are beautiful and clean, the people are nice and friendly, and it's safe. But it was the hotel that made the trip for me. I'd go back to the Ritz in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
9  Thank southernbelle008
Reviewed 27 February 2009

There is really no reason to leave the hotel. I have been to other Caribbean Islands that were more scenic and had more to do so I am glad we chose the Ritz Carlton. The staff is attentive and friendly, great location, water equipment for guests use and some pretty good restaurants.

The golf course was fair but it was great to have a caddy improve our game in the windy conditions. Green fees were high but my husband and I were able to play on our own and the next tee time after us was two hours later so we could take our time.

We ventured away form the hotel for a visit to Rum Point and regretted it the moment we got there. Why would we leave the luxury of the Ritz Carlton for an overcrowded and loud beach?

The island is lovely and nice to drive around but the RItz Carlton is really the only place to stay. Oh, and it wasn't crowded at all for the week after President's Day.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple