“Relaxing Getaway”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Ritz for our first anniversary and birthday celebrations. I have stayed in other RC in the US for business travel so this was my first experience enjoying the "resort" amenities of a RC. This hotel definitely did not disappoint. We felt that the RC was a better price/value compared to the other hotel options on Grand Cayman and we were VERY glad we chose it after seeing the other hotels we considered.

Before we arrived, a representative from guest services emailed me to find out our room preferences, special requests, food allergies, etc. It was evident they put that information to good use becuase all of our requests were met and they ensured no nuts in any of our meals since we indicated that was a food allergy.

The entire hotel staff was so friendly, accomodating, and helpful. They definitely went the extra mile to ensure we enjoyed our anniversary and birthday celebrations down to the gifts upon arrival and special note signed by the staff. We arranged all of our trips/tours before we arrived but it would have been just as easy to book through the hotel and ensure we were not getting ripped off. The hotel was not full by any means when we were there and there was a low child/adult ratio. This made our stay all the more romantic since we were looking for a quiet and realxing week.

The food was excellent! We had the breakfast buffet included in the price of our room. It was definitely not worth the $75/person if we were to have paid for it separately but we did feel like we got a great deal in the package we purchased. Each day, we enjoyed happy hour out on the beach until the sun went down. The daquiri's and chips and salsa were yummy! Even as it became dark, we still wanted to soak in as much of the water/beach as we could. The wait staff on the beach continued to serve us and check on us until we finally left - even though they should have been finished working for the night. The food at the pool/beach bar was excellent - very large portions so we split meals each time we ate there. We rented a beach bed for one of the days and it was so much more comfortable than the chairs - definitely worth it in my opinion. The chairs weren't bad by any means - the beds were a nice "indulgence" though.

Overall, the hotel couldn't have been a better choice for our celebration trip. I would highly recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RedRaiderAmy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,089)

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Our quick trip to the Grand Cayman was amazing thanks to the Ritz Carlton and cooperating weather. Although the ocean view rooms are a hike from the lobby, it's well worth the walk to wake up to amazing views.

The restaurants were surprisingly good. The buffet breakfast at 7 felt less like a buffet because of the made to order omelets and waffles. The truffle fries at Periwinkle and available by the pool were amazing. Although we missed out on Blue (booked the night we arrived and closed for the off season the rest of our trip), we had some wonderful meals at the other restaurants at the hotel. We had all but one meal at the hotel over our 4 day stay and were perfectly happy.

The service is top rate and the concierge is amazingly helpful. This Ritz Carlton definitely lives up to the Ritz reputation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I just love the island of Grand Cayman. The people, the land, the weather are exceptional.

We had the best time and have returned once all ready.

We stayed in the 7Mile Beach Resort and would go again.

I've recommended this island and resort to others and they too have enjoyed their stay.

Go and Relax!

Reviewed 8 October 2009

Cayman was relaxing. The beach is ideal for snorkeling and floating. There is no waves. We toured the island on the local bus. SO much fun. Also, I recommend taking a cab to any of the resorts. It's safe, and its very affordable. The ritz is clean, well ran and in a wonderful location. The staff was amazing. From the buffet breakfast to the concierge to the pool staff, they exceeded our expectations. I fogot my hat ina cabana and our pool server set it aside and left me a voicemail in my room. I thought it was lost forever! Also, the concierge found a staff member with a day off to play tennis with another guest there. I thouhg that was remarkable. Oh one more thing I was amazed at, the last day I was taking pictures of the iguanas, that are everywhere, and one of the valets offered to drive me a short distance to see a field of them.

We stayed on the beach side, which we loved. But we also had club priveleges. I don't recommend getting this upgrade. It wasn't worth it. The club was not a haven in a massive hotel. Instead get a deal where you get breakfast included, and enjoy the local restaurants. The staff int he rest of the hotel was much more competant and friendly than the club staff. Which truly is no the norm and was the only disappointment of the trip. We LOVED ths sushi and the juice bar. Those were both remarkable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I just returned from a weeks get away to Grand Cayman (Sept 19-26) . I found the people on the island extremely nice and helpful. The weather was rainy one day and hot and sunny the next. The ocean temperature was like bath water and crystal clear.

The Ritz was mostly empty and under going some minor touch ups. Which didn't hinder the enjoyment of the stay at all.

I went to the sushi restaurant inside the Ritz one evening and thought the service was impeccable and the sushi fresh and delicious.

The best part of the stay was the attention to detail that the staff puts in on a daily basis. Bringing towels, fruit, drinks to help you cool off on the beach or around the pool. Remembering your name and striving to make sure you are indeed having a great vacation without being overbearing about it.

Maybe in the future I would like to travel to the island at a different time just to see what the island is like when more people are in and more dining and store options are available. Although it sure was nice....if for a week to have paradise all to myself.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2009

My Husband and I just got back from a 5night stay in Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, which as other have reported is very nice and certainly met expectations as far as the room and the pool area were concerned. We arrived on September 18th and departed the 23rd. While we were aware that September is typically a quiet month on any island, we did not realize, nor were we made aware, that several of the restaurants on the resort were closed. Fortunately there are enough restaurants in the area it was not a problem, but it was a bit disappointing.

When we arrived at the hotel, it was after 11PM due to some lovely flight delays. We were hungry but not that hungry, and our only option was room service, which can be expensive and the meals were more than what we wanted. We were very pleased when we were both able to order something smaller off the kids menu. The size of the meal was just right, as was the price!

I also must comment on the staff at the Ritz. We had recently been to St John- Westin and we have never encountered such rudeness, anywhere. The staff at the Ritz far exceeded our expectations. They were friendly everywhere we went. The concierge was very helpful, the valets, the housekeepers, the waitstaff, the folks by the pool. Everyone we encountered smiled or said hello, asked how our stay was going. Simon at the pool bar had a great personality and was fun to talk with. It was very refreshing.

The last day we were at the Ritz, we found out that they were renovating the pool bar. They had moved it off to the side so you could still get service, but it was awkward and we were glad the regular bar had been open during the weekend. It sounded like the bar would be out of commission for about a month or so.

The weather while we were there was very up and down. Most mornings were great and the evenings were typically good however any given day between noon and 4pm there were severe thunderstorms. We expected showers on the island, but these were much heavier. As it is hurricane season, some rain was expected but this was more than expected.

We were able to sneak in a couple of SCUBA Diving trips. We had made arrangements through Sea Sports Diving prior to arriving on the island. As their boat was being worked on during the slow season, we actually went out with Kevin, a dive master from Sea Sports, on a boat from Ambassadors Diving with the captain/ dive masters Jason and Martin from Ambassadors Diving. Kevin was great, he seemed to know the area well. Jason and Martin from Ambassadors were excellent to deal with as well. They all provided a good mix of fun and professionalism. The first day we went to White Stone Canyon and Andy’s Reef. The second day we went to Lemon Dropoff,. At the end of our dive, we encountered an emergency situation with a dive boat at the next mooring over from us (Eagle Ray Pass.) We went over to assist with the situation and I was impressed with the level of calmness and overall manner in which our divemasters both informed us of what was going on, as well as the way they jumped in (literally!) to help the fellow divemaster with his situation. I would not hesitate to contact Sea Sports Diving or Ambassador Diving again in the future.

The next day we went out again with Martin, from Ambassadors Diving, to see Sting Ray City. Very cool. There were lots of snorkel groups, if you don't dive, and well worth the trip. My husband actually fed the Sting Rays squid from his hand. I was wimpy and was content just petting them as they swam by.

We toured the downtown area of George Town. There were some nice shops and restaurants there. I would image it gets quite crowded during the busy season, especially with the many cruise ships which come through. For us it was relatively quiet, we grabbed lunch at Margaritaville and shopped around.

The two restaurants which we found to be our favorites were the burgers at Sunshine Grill at the Sunshine Suites Resorts. The other, which we went to twice and for pizza both times, was Rigazzi. This is in Buckingham Square Plaza and is a really good italian restaurant. The prices at both are relatively reasonable, which was of great appeal, but the food was good as well.

We took a trip around the island, and drove through Hell. Really. It is a very small town on the island but a must do, just to say you have been to Hell and back! On this same trip we visited the Turtle Farm and the Dolphin Habitat. We were mixed on the Turtle Farm, it was cool to see all these sea turtles up close, but their practices are a big questionable. The Dolphin Habitat was cool because you could just walk out and see the folks training the dolphins, putting on a little show. That was fun. I think worth seeing. We only paid $18/ person to see just the Turtles. For $46/ person there was more but it did not interest us so we passed.

All in all this was a great trip. The SCUBA sites were excellent, there was plenty to see and do. I would recommend both Cayman Island and ther Ritz Carlton. I would not recommend going in September. It sounds like November to June is definitely the time to go!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We just spent 7 of the most wonderful nights at this hotel for our 15th wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to an ocean view room which was so convenient to the beach. When we arrived in our room, we were surprised by a thoughtful card from the concierge staff and delicious chocolate covered strawberries. That same night, we were surprised again by the evening Maid sprinkling fresh orchid flower petals on our floor and bed with 2 elegant swans kissing one another created by white cotton towels. That evening for dinner at the Sushi restaurant, we were delighted and happy to receive 2 complimentary glasses of champagne and an appetizer that was not on the menu which was especially created for us by the chef. The service was great. The beach concierge was always attentive to provide us with fresh towels and prepare our beach chairs placing soft white cotton towels on them and putting up the individual sun awning. The staff was so pleasant and attentive offering cold drinks/smoothies and tasty food for purchase. Often supplied were complimentary cranberry and pineapple juice in cups on the beach. I played 9 holes of golf at the Ritz one day with lessons with their golf Pro Tim, and it was fantastic. We had a great time! The course was beautiful, and Tim had a super personality with fantastic advice to improve my game. There were complimentary lap tops to borrow from the concierge at all hours to check email. USAIR lost our luggage, so we had nothing, but the front desk was so kind to provide a lovely bag of toiletries. Also, the concierge tracked our luggage with USAIR representatives on our behalf, so we would not have to deal with that stress. We were thankful that our luggage arrived around 10PM that evening. We can not say enough about this resort, we had such a lovely time. We will go back!! The beach was white sand, and the water a balmy 87-90 degrees. My husband scuba dived with Seasports diving, and they brought their boat right up to the Ritz Carlton beach to pick him up and drop him off. I attended a Pilates class at the hotel, taught by fitness instructor Grace. To my surprise, I was the only one there due to the slow season. This was lucky for me, as I had personalized training. Grace was amazing; she pushed me, but knew my limits. Her instruction was clear, and I learned a lot about Pilates, especially the breathing and how to do poses correctly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!