“Perfectly fine, but nothing special. Definitely geared towards families.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My husband and I went to the RCGC to celebrate our anniversary, and while it wasn't a bad trip, it also wasn't as special as we had hoped.

I think the biggest issue is the service. All the staff is very pleasant and always greet you, frequently by name. However, service is painfully slow - at the restaurants, at the pool, at the beach, at the concierge desk. We were frequently trying to get someone's attention for a check at a restaurant, or to place a drink order pool side, etc. We would leave our room at 7:30am to get breakfast and then hit the beach or pool not returning to our room until 3:30 or 4p to find our room not even made up yet. This hotel is at a similar price point to Four Seasons and based on our trip to Four Seasons Punta Mita, there is no comparison. The service and amenities were so much better at the Four Seasons.

To the previous posters comment about some ill-behaved parents, it is so true. There were several families where I knew the names of all their kids...not because I talked to them but I constantly heard the parents screaming and yelling at their kids (and honestly the issue was more the parents than the children.)

We were surprised and disappointed that there is no kid-free areas at the hotel. It would have been nice to have the second pool as an adult-only. We also booked the champagne & appetizer sunset sail only to find out that kids are allowed on that as well! Eric Ripert's Blue restaurant was also loaded with families with young children. I have no problem with families going (as we will frequently take our children to fine dining establishments. But as a parent, you have to pick up and go at the first sign of a meltdown and not subject other dinner guests to the results of an over tired child)

The spa and gym were great. Definitely worth packing your work-out clothes and sneakers.

The food was good at the hotel. We did the tasting menu with wine pairing at Blue one night and it was truly fabulous (we are foodies and I would definitely put it in our top ten dining experiences). We did venture out of the hotel a couple of times for meals, the only place I would highly recommend is Agua, great food and wonderful service.

One last note - This hotel felt like all the other Ritz Carltons. In fact it felt so similar to the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island. It's probably not a fair thing to say, because that is what the Ritz does - each hotel is very similar so that travelers know and get what they expect. My concern is that I really had no feeling of being in Grand Cayman - even most of the staff were not local.

I probably won't go back - not that it was a bad experience but it just didn't "wow" me and at this price point there are many other options. I would not recommend it for couples trying to get away...I think this is best as a family vacation destination.

2  Thank anm123

Reviewed 27 March 2010

This was our second time to this property. The property itself is gorgeous. The resort side is definitely the way to go, if you can. The service was impeccable. The people who work here take their jobs very seriously and cater to every need. The food was good, but really expensive. We knew that going in. We did eat at the property, but also took advantage several other spots. Several times we visited Eats Cafe just a few steps away from the property. Great food at a decent price and it is located in front of the Westin.

My biggest complaint was the other guests. I have never been more appalled in my life. It was spring break so there were lots of families and small children. The children were not the problem; it was the parents who made me cringe. There were many that treated the staff (especially around the pool) with little respect. Wealthy, lazy and feeling entitled, they would bark their orders to anyone walking by them paying no attention to what job the poor employee might actually hold. Grounds people being asked for umbrellas or drinks. One man sent the pool hand back two times to get different rafts that would put his daughter in the water the right amount. The first two did not meet his standards. To my eye, they were exactly the same. Other staff were asked to 'keep' chicken fingers for a child who would not eat, but who obviously was in dire need of a nap and past caring if she ate. 'Keep' meant that they were to take, refrigerate and then re-heat the fingers when the child decided she would eat. There were groups of people openly complaining about the service loud enough for the employees to hear. I walked passed a group of women who were complaining that the "place was being run like a Holiday Inn." None of this was true. I wanted to stop and ask them when they stayed in a Holiday Inn last because the comparison was rude and unfair.

By the end of the week, I couldn't stand another minute. I understand that to stay here, you spend alot of money. I understand that you have alot of money to spend, but I do not understand a lack of human decency. I love Grand Cayman. I love the property and the people, but I will re-think coming back. This time around was so different from our first and, sadly, it had nothing to do with the staff.

1  Thank geeitsme
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Beautiful. Clean. Super comfortable beds. VERY attentive staff. Great food (pricey though). My family and i joked that there must be microphones everywhere because it felt like as soon as you would say something that you liked or needed, someone from the hotel staff would appear to help you. We've stayed at very nice hotels all over the world and I have to say the service here was some of the best if not the best I have ever experienced.
There are activites for small children and one of the restaurants- Periwinkles- even has a kids buffet at night and a giant movie screen set up outside for the kids to enjoy. We had a wonderful time and i didnt want to come home!

Reviewed 23 March 2010

If you are looking for a great experience that is fun for the entire family, the Ritz is "itz"!

We traveled with kids 6 and 8 years old and this property was perfect. This property offers you Seven Mile Beach at your doorstep, where you can swim, snorkel, or eat on the beach. Snorkel gear and non-motorized water toys are included. The thing that sets this property apart is the service. In all of my years of traveling to all types of properies, I have never experienced the service and amazing staff at the Ritz.

Reviewed 22 March 2010

Travelled with Spouse and my 2 children, ages 4 & 7 for 1 week. Overall, great family hotel, you will not be disappointed! As a Marriott Rewards Platinum member, I used 190K pointsaver points to book a 7 night stay here....value of $6000 USD, I doubt somebody could get more value for their points than what I received at this Hotel. They even upgraded me to a 1 bedroom Suite on the Resort side for free! This was our first visit to Cayman Islands, and I strongly recommend it to other families with young kids. The island reminds me a little of Barbados, I felt very safe my entire trip.

Pros:
-Service everywhere was top notch, from check-in clerk to pool attendants
-beautiful and spotless clean rooms with marble tile floors, separate glass shower and bathtub, double sinks, and an additional 2 piece bathroom at the entrance
-Molton Brown from England Shampoo, Conditioner, soap and skin cream toiletries
-twice daily maid service who made sure the room was spotless (especially tough to do with 2 young kids)
-awesome US TV channel selection (pls see attached menu for all channels), local channel 12 station pipes in CBC feed at times for news and Hockey Night in Canada!)
-great food-free wireless internet, and they have netbooks for free use in Palms lobby lounge
-free self parking
-2 pools that always had available lounge chairs and free ice cold citrus water
-lounge chairs that had cushions and pool attendants that would place full towel cover over and an additional towel. Chairs also had optional sun shade if you so chose
-Fabulous clean white sandy beach-free coffee / tea in Palm lounge every morning
-free outdoor kids movie beside Periwinkle Restaurant every evening (although you can see the move from the restaurant you cannot hear the movie audio while eating at the restaurant, it is a separate area about 20 yards from the restaurant, so keep that in mind in your planning)
-free Tarpon fish feeding at 5:30 pm at Periwinkle restaurant
-free use of pool lounge floats that they let you use in the ocean too
-round floats anchored in ocean were amazing to enjoy chilling out while in the warm salt water ocean
-swimming area in ocean is sectioned off with floats so no boat traffic to worry about
-free cookies and pineapple juice at front entrance
-Bed was very comfortable
-Restaurant staff were very careful and cautious with my son's Peanut allergy, ensuring all items were peanut free

Cons:
-$35USD daily resort fee
-children activities at Ambassadors of the Environment very expensive
-Food very expensive $$$$$$$!!!!!!
-had to reserve a front row beach front chair at 7am, otherwise you are stuck in the 2nd or 3rd row
-water at beaches edge was not crystal clear turqoise
-ocean was not young kid friendly, waves were a little strong, and it dropped off deep very quickly

Hotel Restaurants:
Periwinkle 4/5
-family oriented outdoor covered restaurant, has kids buffet. I would not recommend this restaurant to couples as most tables have lots of kids, so may be distracting. Food was good
Blue 3/5
-tried Ripert's 3 course a la carte menu, I had Red Snapper, wife had Mahi Mahi. The food was good but at $102.50 USD each, I expected my taste buds to be dazzled. Sadly I was disappointed.
7 Prime 6/5
-best meal on the island. They import their steaks from the U.S. I've been to Morton's, Ruth Chris, Hy's, etc. the steak I had here blew them all away. My wife had a salad with grilled chicken with the best homemade Balsamic dressing she has ever tasted
Room Service 4/5
-great food

Reviewed 20 March 2010

This hotel is absolutely beautiful, make no mistake. The beach is just breathtaking. I think you'll enjoy it regardless of whether or not you're on the ocean, but that's really personal preference I suppose. Excellent pools. Excellent service (of course). Gorgeous lobby with amazing fresh flower arrangements. Plan to spend plenty on beachside food and drinks, obviously. I forget the name of the hotel restaurant now, but the caesar salad I had there was one of the best I've EVER had in my life - and I'm quite the critic. There is a Tiffany's inside the hotel. The spa looked to be amazing, but my mom and I just awed from the lobby. If you've got the $$ you'll enjoy this place for sure. Go down the beach (to the right of the hotel) toward the fence at the Westin, look out to the ocean where a little buoy is. You'll see snorkelers. Snorkel there and you won't regret it!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Stayed at the Ritz for 5 days on the garden side. Tried to upgrade but nothing available but it turned out to be very easy getting around from the garden side. Some people feel it is quite a walk we did not. You hardly even know you are crossing a road from one section to the other. Ate at 7, very good food and great service. Also had Eric Ripert dinner at Blue with the wine (very expensive). Food out standing and the wine paring very interesting. Only one of the 6 servings I didn't care for but still glad I tried. All was fish but beautifully cooked and wonderful service. Also ate at Periwinkles and had our favorite waiter (sorry I don't remember his name but was from India). Very knowledgable and all restaurants were open to telling us how items were prepared and ingrediantes used. The head chef at one of the restaurants even came out to talk to me about it.
Had an Anthony Bourdain siteing (at least we thought it was him, heard he stays there alot). The only part I was disapointed at was that there is a daily $35 resort fee for using the chairs at the pool and beach. What is up with that when you are paying those kind of prices for a room!!!!!!!! The hotel is on the best stretch of the beach and crystal clear. We snorkeled out in front of the hotel and north by the governors house. Glad I went saw rays both times but not great marine life.

We also rented a car and checked out the rest of the island for snorkeling. It was very windy so couldn't snorkel the west end but if you are up there stop at the Cracked Conch next to the dolphin center.. Very good food resonably priced great location overlooking the ocean. There is a cove there with a ladder you can go down to snorkel. Since we couldn't snorkel due to the waves I can't rate the quality of the marine life there.

Our favorite was the East End, Rum point area. The beaches are gorgeous and if I go back to the Caymens I will rent a home on that end. The snorkeling was the best i have ever done and I have snorkeled and scuba for 30 years. You do have to be willing to swim way out to the reef to see the best. There is an area off the point some call the "Coral Gardens" that was also great. Wide variety of fish, turtles, rays, and enormous lobster. The fan coral in beautiful orange and purples were the biggest I have ever seen.

Other restaurants we ate at was Luca - excellent food and service, Rolands Garden - also excellent and atmosphere and character you could not match. Reef Grill was OK. Breakfast at East Cafe was cheap and very good.

We stayed a couple days at the marriott because the ritz wasnt' available ont he weekend, and though it is a good place it was noting compared to the Ritz. You get what you pay for!