“Best Luxure Resort In The Carribean”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Went for our honeymoon and it was spectacular. From the service, to the amenities, to the food, to the spa, to the tennis, this Ritz is a top notch property. Add to that the fact that Seven Mile Beach is one of the best beaches in the world, and that the Ritz is on the best piece of property on Seven Mile Beach, and it's a no brainer to stay here while visiting Grand Cayman...if, of course, you're willing to spend the money.

I agree with the other reviews, this place is expensive. For instance, I've stayed @ the Four Seasons Maui in Wailea and it's not as expensive as the Ritz Grand Cayman. However, like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Because of this, we went back for our 1st Anniversary last year. All of the staff members remembered us. The guys @ BarJack remembered what we liked to drink. The waiters at Blue and Periwinkle remembered us from the year before. And, probably most impressive of all, the staff @ the Silver Rain Spa remembered what vegetables and juice we liked while waiting in the relaxation room before our massage. They also remembered what music we liked to listen to while receiving our couples massage. To me, service like this is priceless.

There's really nothing negative I can say about this resort - it is truly one of a kind and one of the finest resorts in the world. We're going back in July for our 2nd Anniversary (this will be our 3rd visit to the Ritz GC in 3 years), and I have a feeling that we'll be returning every summer for a long time to come.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AgRunner

Reviewed 17 April 2010

The staff here is excellent, friendly and helpful. Breakfast servers offered to get my breakfast from buffet when I was feeding our baby or helping my other children. We found the food to be excellent and timely brought to the table. However, reservations are essential at the casual dining spots for dinner (Periwinkle) as we were abruptly told when we showed up for dinner without one. So, you need to have your day well planned out in advance. Not something I want to do on vacation. Further, they seem to not over burden the chefs so there are many open tables at the same time you are being told they are full to capacity. But this may be how they can consistently produce excellent food.
Some of our dislikes:
1) Nothing intimate about this resort. It is extremely large. Staying on the resort side, you feel disconnected to where the action is on the ocean side.
2) We too hoped for an AMEX upgrade. No such luck.
3) Convention came in mid week. Not something I want to deal with on vacation. Resort side pool closed from 1:00 p.m. on because of an event dinner being held that night at the resort pool.
4) We also didn't have any luck getting beach chairs, despite going to the beach at 8 a.m. in search of chair. Many reserved spots go untaken all day long. Annoying when you are paying a daily resort fee.
5) Found slippers from a previous guest in our room by the bed as well as hairpins on the bathroom floor which remained there all week. How well are these rooms being cleaned? Considering that you pay a daily fee for having rooms cleaned this is unfair.
6) The shallowest part of both pools is 4 feet. Not ideal for young children.
In sum, it is a beautiful spot but not my preference for an ideal vacation spot. We prefer a smaller more intimate, authentic feel. Many have complained about the prices but that is something to expect when you are going to the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank qwes
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Nice location, good looking hotel and nice beach, certainly. But if you think you will get pampered here, think again. The hotel is way too large for a "luxury" resort. You cannot get good seats at the beach past 7:30 am (honest, I tried everyday), and no umbrellas/canopies at the beach past 8:30 am. Everything is outrageously overpriced, and the rooms that don't have ocean view are to be avoided. Basically, if you can guarantee an ocean view room at a time where the hotel is no more than half-full, you will have a good time. Anything else and you will feel ripped off. The Westin and Marriott have just as nice beaches, with actually fewer people.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank PinguHouston
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I booked on Ritz-Carlton website a deal with American Express that gave free upgrades if available.
All room types were available on their website when departed, so I expected an upgrade.
At arrival I was told club level and oceanfront were booked.
I went to my room, and the website still said both of those room types were available for the complete duration of my stay.

I have no idea why they wouldn't give it to me. I felt ripped off all week.

Beautful hotel, friendly service, very expensive.

3  Thank RickyAR
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Ok, so it *was* Spring Break week and it *was*, after all, the notoriously-expensive Ritz + Grand Caymans, but $115 for a simple American breakfast for 3 ppl at their Seven restaurant (the only one that serves breakfast)? $10.00 for a draft beer at Bar Jack, their pool-side bar? $5.50 for a digitalized printout of the New York Times (not even the "real" paper)? $35 per room "Resort Fee" that was supposed to include "access to a comprehensive DVD library" (their contract's wording) but then once we actually picked a DVD to view in our room one night, we were charged to RENT that DVD? $46 for an in-room burger?

Don't get me wrong, the Ritz is a beautiful resort, maybe a little too cumbersome to get from one side of the resort (which had the spa/fitness center/golf/main lobby) to the other (ocean view/front rooms, larger pool, beach, most restaurants, activities), but great service as one would expect from this company. But we felt nickel-and-dimed every step of the way that we left the resort early on Day 4 of a 7-day stay. Doing so saved us more than $6K in room, food, resort and other assorted charges. I would never stay there again.

We don't dive, we don't snorkel, we were just looking for a nice place to enjoy a quiet week. We had two connecting rooms, Ocean front, both with small balconies. Price for EACH room was $899/night PLUS $35.00 "Resort Fee" PLUS $89.90 per night "Tourism Tax" PLUS $89.90 pernight "Service Fee". With two rooms that was $2227.60 PER NIGHT....and that's without even stepping out of our rooms, folks. (All prices quoted are in USD...that's another warning, people: they quote prices in Cayman dollars but bill you in USD. Watch out!)

A simple glass of pop was $7 USD. What a joke!

What drove us most nuts, perhaps, was that for our $2227.60/night we couldn't get a seat around the pool or a lounge on the beach anytime after 8 am. Seriously. It's absolutely true what others have written here about having to get up early enough to go down to beach/pool and throw a towel down on the chairs you desired....probably around sunrise. I watched in amazement as people reserved chairs/lounges early in the day......and didn't bother to come back until much, much later in the day (sometimes not at all; I watched a few "reserved" spaces go unclaimed several times during the days I was there.) Ask the pool/beach attendant to find you a vacant spot, and he says simply, "Sorry. Don't have any, but you can have a shady beach cabana for a day" (Yeah, for $175!!!! And unbeknownest to our teenaged son, he took him up on that offer. First and only time we got fooled by that one.)

Management needs to have signs posted around the beach/pool areas that reserving spaces is not permitted. THEN ENFORCE IT! Why bother to reserve a space if you're going off-property to dive/snorkel/shop/whatever? Not fair to other guests!

All the restaurants are way too overpriced. On our last night there we agreed to get screwed and went to 7 Prime, their steak place, which was nice, not spectacular, but attentive service, about on par with a good Morton's back in the States. Three steaks and an average bottle of wine was $440, about double what it was worth back home. ALSO BEWARE: in every restaurant, every charge no matter where you're at on the property, there is a 15% gratuity tacked onto your bill.

I cancelled a hot stone massage at their La Prairie Spa after I found out it was going to cost me around $300 USD. Had I stayed longer I would have booked at the adjacent Westin Resort as I read here that their prices were way lower.

The toilet in one of our rooms got clogged, and we immediately called the front desk who promised to take care of it. We left our rooms for the day, several hours gone, then came back to find it had NOT been taken care of. Another call to the front desk did, then, rectify that.

In addition to being over-priced my other complaint with this place was that I felt "in the dark" about what was on the property, which restaurants were located where, what their hours were, what place offered which foods, a larger map of the place instead of the key card-sized one provided in the check-in envelope, etc. In most hotel and resort rooms there is a book with all those things listed (also important information about what to do in an emergency...earthquakes have rattled the area in recent months), etc. I felt uninformed my entire stay.

We ate at one non-Ritz restaurant during our brief stay, The Cracked Conch. It is true that cabs are expensive. This restaurant was fine, good food, good service, still way overpriced for what it was. So I assume bilking the tourist is not merely a Ritz-only phenomenon.

We were glad to get away from the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman. We tried the island because my husband and son were a little tired of always going to Mexico for Spring Break. But we left agreeing that previous Mexican vacations offered everything the Ritz had (and more) for a fraction of the price. While waiting to board the plane back to the states (>3 days earlier than planned) I was interviewed by representative of the Cayman Tourisim Association. She asked good questions about our stay and I told her, in no uncertain terms, that we would not be returning.

4  Thank Shuvee
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I just got back from the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman where we spent a week with my family (wife and two young children). We went back after spending 10 days over christmas this past year as well.

We typically stay at five star properties and have been to the Four Seasons-Nevis, Sandy Lane, Four-Season-Punta, One and Only (pamilla, bahamas), Cloister/Sea Island, Breakers, Kiawah, St. Regis -Deer Valley, Manadarin Oriental - Bermuda, While all of these properties are great, there is always something missing which leads us to try someplace else. For years, we have been looking for the perfect resort and have not found it until we went to the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman. Literally, it is the best place we have ever been and will probably not go anyplace for the forseeable future.

Below are some of the things that make it so great:

- Staff/Service: Put simply - the best anywhere I have ever been. I have never seen, met or experienced a staff that was so committed to making sure that your vacation was a success. Everyone, at every level, goes out of their way to be as helpful and nice as possible. A quick example. You ask where something is in the hotel and automatically the staff which not only give you directions but take you there. Simply amazing. Every hotel/resort should learn from these guys. Note - one thing that clearly impact this is that Cayman Islands indiginous population tends not to want to work in the hopitality business so they wind up importing most of the staff from other Ritz Carlton properties. This gives them the ability to identify and take the best of the best from the entire chain.

-Pool and Beach Facilities: The facilities are amazing. The pools are great. There are plenty of chairs (although we found that during spring break if you wanted to be at waters edge you needed to get down there pretty early in the morning). The beach is amazing. They have great water sports which seem to get better and better. This time, they had floating day beds and floating tables in the ocean with waiter service. The service at the beach and pool was amazing.

Tennis: We are a tennis family and this is one of the best tennis places on earth. It is a Bolleteri associated facility and it is amazing. The courts are red clay and grass and are kept in great condition. However, again, what makes this so great are the pros. Thomas, Uli, John and Illian are amazing. I have never seen such a bunch of people that are so committed to ensuring that their guests have a great experience. The only problem that I saw over Christmas was that the four courts were often booked. So if you plan to play tennis make reservations in advance. Also, there is a rumor that they might build two other courts which would help.

Golf: Not great but adequate for your fix. It is a nine hole course that is pretty boring. Very up and down. Certainly not a resort course like you would find in Sandy Lane, Kiawah, Sea Island etc. However, they did provide caddies and you could ride on the grass (unlike the one and only course in the bahamas). It was great though for the kids. I played every afternoon which my sons and it was the perfect speed for them.

Food: Overall Great. Periwinkle is amazing for meals with kids. Peter the manager is one of a kind and really makes an effort to run a great spot. Seven was amazing. Sushi place was only ok - very limited menu and not worth the price. Blue was ok. Little stuffy and long. Really long dinner. Breakfast was in seven. Great buffet. However, if you got there late you might wait for 10-15 minutes to get a table (a little annoying). One of the nice things about Cayman is that you can go off the property and there are a number of great restaurants in walking distance. There is a great sushi restaurant next door which is as good as any of the city places I have been. Lucas wonderful. Cracked Conch great.

Rooms: The rooms are ok. You are not going to be overwhelmed with their size but they are fine. The newer rooms on the pool/beach side are bigger and nicer if that is important to you.

Again. The best place we have ever been. We are not alone. When were there over spring break we saw tons of families that were there over christmas. The fact that people keep coming back over and over again is the best indication of how good it is. In fact, we have already book our Christmas trip.

3  Thank DSAS123
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I found the Ritz to be a gem of a place. It was our second stay at the Cayman Ritz. Some of the reviewers complained about children. If you travel the weeks of spring break you will find children wherever you go! Our first stay at this property was in early February- children were few and far between. If you do not wish to be with children plan accordingly . (We are empty nesters) We found quiet spots at each end of the beach property. I felt the hotel managed the volume of guests quite well. The hotel was at capacity and I doubt if any hotels get all the rooms cleaned before 3:30 when they are at capacity. We took advantage of all the hotel had to offer. Great fitness classes, wonderful Sunday brunch and a Saturday high tea which was lovely. Try out the spa! Heaven!!! We are planning to return soon. We have been to many beach destinations and find this our favorite.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple