“Great Time at the Ritz!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
boston
“Great Time at the Ritz!”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz in May 2009. The hotel and beach were beautiful. The food and service was great. If you book this resort knowing that you will spend a lot on food, etc., you will have a great time.

There is a great restaurant that only the locals know about called Calypso (about a 20 minute cab ride) It is right on the bay and they have great seafood and drinks. You must try the sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

We like to book a lot of activities when we travel (zip lining, repelling, jeep safari, etc.) There really is not that much to do on this tiny island. But if you want to just relax and unwind, you will love it here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I do not mind spending money, and had fully expected to when staying at the Ritz on an island. What I do mind is being charged triple for something because of where I am staying. The taxis on the street in front of our hotel charged $10 to go to Boatswain's Bay. The taxis at the taxi stand outside the lobby? $30. If the Ritz really cared about customers and their happiness, they would not permit that. They would insist that their customers get the same rate as anyone else.

On our first morning, we got our room service check for the glass of milk and fresh oj that we ordered for breakfast. US$21. I signed but then realized both things were listed as the same price and I'd noticed they weren't the same price on the menu. Not even sure why I noticed, but I went back and looked at the menu (all in CI$, of course). Pulled out a calculator (.80 CI to 1.00 US). The room service menu said OJ CI$4, and milk CI$3. That's CI$7 total, or US$8.75...So with $5 delivery fee and 20% gratuity that they build in, that should've been US$16.50, not US$21 - that's almost a 30% difference. The menu is in Cayman$ and the bill comes in US$ so I probably wasn't supposed to notice. When I called room service, the woman said, you just don't understand that your bill is in $US. I said I did realize and asked her to check her menu and her math. She agreed and sent up a new bill. Just a small story but one I think is indicative of what's happening here - having to make sure you're not overpaying by 30% when you're already paying 5-star prices. That kind of mistake makes it hard to trust your bills, have a few drinks, and sit back and relax.

Another up-charge opportunity - when we hit the beach yesterday at around 3:00pm, we were sitting on one of the empty daybeds and pretty much had the beach to ourselves. A server came by and said that the beds were for rent only. OK...how much? CI$75. One of the other families had suggested we ask him for a different rate because it was already 3:30pm. He microphoned in to HQ, secret service style, and said that I was asking for a half-day rate and miraculously I got the bargain rate of CI$36.50. Um, surely this is not the first time this has happened. If you have a half-day rate - give it without my having to ask. It's not a flea market, and I don't want to haggle. It just adds up to a feeling that they're trying to take what they can get rather than put you first and serve you as well as possible.

Finally, many of the things we had planned to do are closed and that was not at all clear when we made our reservation. The Periwinkle restaurant (with the truffle fries!), the 5:30 fish feeding, the 8:00 movie outside, the Blue restaurant -- all closed. The excursions for kids that we'd been planning have also been cut down to a minimum. We booked, and indeed made this whole trip, because we thought we were getting what the web site listed, but at a good price, because we were risking traveling during hurricane season. Not the case. Literally half of the resort is closed. We met and chatted with other families while we were there. We didn't bring up our unhappiness because we didn't want to sour anyone's experience, but invariably, every one of them brought this sort of thing up to us, and we ended up trading stories and tips on how not to get ripped off. Each family said the same thing - I'm not cheap, there's just a big difference between the feeling you're paying a premium for something better and paying a stupid tax for something that's the same. Pretty shameful.

Before I submitted this review, I emailed Ritz Customer Service and told them about this experience. That was 2 weeks ago, and I never heard back. I really don't think they care a bit. So, here's what I paid for additionally - a change fee for our flight to go home because we were so displeased with the whole thing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
17 Thank Perry S
california
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My hubby and I stayed at the Ritz @ 7 mile beach from Aug 28-Sept 4,2010 to celebrate our 18th year anniversary. Upon arrival Ivan took us to our room on the 3rd floor and the view was terrible it was covered by Palm Trees we asked for another room and they placed us in room 817 - which was the top floor PH with a clear view of the pool and ocean with no palm trees blocking the 7 mile beach view. The room was a good size, with balcony, bed very comfortable with tons of goose down pillows. The service was excellent - every one of our needs was always met with kindness and courtesy. We ate at SEVEN resturant at the Ritz - for 2 small steaks, 2 salads and a conch appetizer (no wine or liquor) just 2 diet sodas ran us $215 w/gratuity. Needless to say I got sick that night with a case of a bad stomach ache from the conch fritter appetizer. We booked our Sting Ray City tour across the street at Captain Marvins for $39 each Ritz was charging $120 each. We also rented a car from Avis on the 5th floor of the Ritz - that was a reasonable price - except steering wheel on right side (so be careful driving on the opposite side of the road) it took some getting used to if you are from the USA. One complaint I had was that the 2 women who worked at the Boutique @ Ritz were very rude while I was looking at their merchandise (not even a HELLO) when I walked in and told me they had no skirts in the store and when I found a whole bunch of skirts - I was very upset - it's like they didn't want to bother helping the customers - too bad they lost a sale from me when I walked out of the store. Overall the Ritz was a great place to stay. There is one more thing I'd like to mention EATS CAFE across the street from the Ritz was very reasonably priced for break, lunch & diner - while u will pay $20usd for 2 coffees at the Ritz. Also Yoshi Sushi next to EATS CAFE was the worst sushi we ever had (wouldn't recommend it). The beach infront of the Ritz on 7 mile beach is amazing very calm and crystal clear - great location. La Prairie Spa @ Ritz was amazzzinnggggg.... give it a try.

2 Thank lmzcalifornia
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The Ritz is a beautiful, clean, top notch hotel. As such, it is not for the budget-conscious. Still, you get what you pay for -- awesome views, great rooms, great food, great service. Everybody on staff is pleasant, helpful and efficient. Well, almost everyone. Upon arrival, the staff member assigned to escort us to our room seemed more suited for security duties than hospitality detail. It was not a great first impression. He trotted us to our room with a minimum of pleasantries so that I totally missed the magnificent lobby and the gallery leading to the oceanfront tower. Fortunately, we didn't see him again, and everybody else was very helpful and congenial. Be advised, everything you order -- whether at the beach bar or the restaurant "7" will cost you, but if you're prepared to spend, go for it. There are alternatives -- so ask around or read other reviews and you'll find lots of places nearby for a reasonably-priced meal (try Eats, a couple of blocks away, for a great breakfast). The waterfront area in town has good restaurants as well.
We did not try the gourmet restaurant "Blue" -- so can't speak to that, but the lobby lounge serves light fare and great drinks -- so try that in the evening to unwind.
We highly ecommend this hotel, and can say that it has the best beach anywhere. Crystalline waters, white powdery sand and amazing sunsets. Just don't fret about staying on budget.

North Carolina
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My husband and I went the first week in Aug and had a great time. Everything about the hotel was on point. We enjoyed the water activities that they had on property. We never had to wait to use any of them. We did have to get out early to claim our chairs but I find that is common at most hotels. Everyone always wants the same chair you want! I never found the beach to be "crowded" maybe it was the time of year?

We ate not once but twice at Taikun and both times is was wonderful. The staff always made sure we were happy with everything that we ordered and even brought out a few extra pieces for us to try. We ate at Seven in the mornings for breakfast buffet and it was outstanding. I am a breakfast person and I always had a range of food to try out. At times it did get a little crowded but that was more towards the end of the week. It was so crowded that we were waiting in lines for most things!

The Spa was outstanding! We have been to some great spas and this one tops the list. The relaxation room was very nice and very cozy. My husband and I both really enjoyed our massages and my husband said it was the best one he has ever had. I could have stayed for days!

Great stay and we are looking forward to coming back!

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We were very impressed with the Ritz. It looked just slightly tired, but we were told that they are about to undergo a multi-million dollar renovation this winter, and it sounds awesome. All of our service was excellent and the food was outstanding. We had two "Do Not Miss' meals while there. The Sunday Brunch at "7" and the wine tasting meal at "Blue". We shared the wine tasting meal, and it was plenty for the two of us. I would definitely recommend staying on the beach side of the resort. Otherwise, it is quite a walk to the pool/beach area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Based on the reviews we read on Trip Advisor, my husband and I decided to stay at the Ritz for a second honeymoon. We decided to stay at the club level- as we had heard that the food on the property was very expensive. The food on the club level was wonderful. For breakfast they usually have oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, cereal, etc. At lunch they have a soup, panini, lunch meat for sandwiches, salad bar and a kids meal selection like chicken fingers or hot dogs. The appetizer presentation was usually enough for dinner, if you want to be cheap like we were! You can order any type of cocktail you want and they also have wine/prosecco set out with other beverages. The premises are beautiful. We only had a problem getting a front row beach chair if we waiting until late in the day. You could always get a chair at the pool or the back rows of the beach. The service both in the club level and around the hotel was good. My only negative would be that the property could use to be updated, you can tell there has been some wear and tear in the rooms and hallways of the hotel and the spa is extremely expensive. If you decide to eat off the property sunshine grill is very good and relatively inexpensive. We also really enjoyed Copper Falls, a delicious steak restaurant with in walking distance to the hotel. The beach and water was beautiful. The water is so warm! They have anchored rafts that you can swim out to- at no charge! The snorkel equipment is also free for guests of the hotel. We went into Georgetown to snorkel at the Wreck of Cali, which is near Hammerheads restaurant. They have lockers there that you can keep your valuables in for the day.