“Great Place !”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel is great. Great location, nice rooms ( a bit old fashioned..) and service is perfect. The sea is very quiet (do not expect waves!). Of course everything is overpriced but that's not surprising. With kids it's ok but as there is not much to do outside of snorkeling and swimming with dolphins, to me 5 days at Grand Cayman is enough. It could become boring to stay longer with kids (except if they love to sunbathe all day long...)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 2 nights prior to going to a timeshare on the east side of the island. We were so unhappy at the timeshare (no good restaurants, no swimming) that we checked out early and went back to the RC. From the minute we pulled up to the front door until the minute we left we were very impressed with everything. The staff was professional, helpful and every one of them was friendly. That, in and of itself, is a rarity. Every meal was excellent. We really wanted to dine at Blue but it was closed. The pool is gorgeous with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The beach is perfect....white powdery sand, crystal clear water, floats and lots of chairs with canopies. The spa was amazing! I couldn't even speak after my pedicure. All the special little touches like the linens, the evening turn-down with chocolates, the scented iced towels at the pool, the terry coverings on the lounge chairs just make the experience that much better. If I had to nit-pick I would say that the carpet in the hallway near our room floor was a bit worn and the bedskirt and the curtains had stains. Our view of the ocean was spectacular and the good far outweighed the not-so-good. Yes, paradise does come with a price but it was so worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We stayed a week at the Ritz, celebrating our anniversary, accompanied by close friends also celebrating their anniv. The week was wonderful. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to an oceanfront room from a garden view room and what a delightful surprise. The staff were exceedingly helpful, courteous and friendly. Other guests were friendly by the pool etc. and shared their island experiences which was helpful. We love to play tennis and were not able to play when we were there due to weather (they only have clay courts which didn't deal with the little bit of rain very well), and limited hours of operation during low season. Yes, the prices were high at the pool/beach bar but what can you do... but limit your intake. Our spa experience was nice but expensive, however, they let us linger after the massage, enjoying the ambiance of the most beautiful spa I have ever visited, sipping champagne or herbal tea, enjoying light healthy snacks. The artwork in the gallery was a delight to see everyday and coffee or tea in the morning at the "lobby bar was a great start to our day.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Our stay at the Ritz Grand Caymon was one of those memorable trips. The facility is a bit like a large convention center, but the staff is very friendly, the bar and beach is lovely and easy to enjoy without feeling overcrowded. The rum punch with rum floater is a must, preferably if had before noon. The food on the island is phenominal, we had a barbeque salmon dish on two ocassions that is unlike any other, and the sticky toffee pudding at the famous sea side restaurant on the island is worth the trip. Order 2.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The Ritz is on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world - Seven Mile Beach! The concierge is so helpful with so many brochures and choices of activities - do try the stingray city snorkel trip through the hotel - it does cost more but it is not as crowded as the other tours. The spa is luxurious. The food is delicious at Bar Jack and Periwinkle - the truffle fries are world famous from Periwinkle and the staff are so helpful and warm! I stayed 5 days and could have stayed longer. The island is safe and clean. I usually do not like to travel to the same place twice, but will definitely return to the Ritz Grand Cayman.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank IslandSunGirl
Reviewed 11 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz in May 2009. The hotel and beach were beautiful. The food and service was great. If you book this resort knowing that you will spend a lot on food, etc., you will have a great time.

There is a great restaurant that only the locals know about called Calypso (about a 20 minute cab ride) It is right on the bay and they have great seafood and drinks. You must try the sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

We like to book a lot of activities when we travel (zip lining, repelling, jeep safari, etc.) There really is not that much to do on this tiny island. But if you want to just relax and unwind, you will love it here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I do not mind spending money, and had fully expected to when staying at the Ritz on an island. What I do mind is being charged triple for something because of where I am staying. The taxis on the street in front of our hotel charged $10 to go to Boatswain's Bay. The taxis at the taxi stand outside the lobby? $30. If the Ritz really cared about customers and their happiness, they would not permit that. They would insist that their customers get the same rate as anyone else.

On our first morning, we got our room service check for the glass of milk and fresh oj that we ordered for breakfast. US$21. I signed but then realized both things were listed as the same price and I'd noticed they weren't the same price on the menu. Not even sure why I noticed, but I went back and looked at the menu (all in CI$, of course). Pulled out a calculator (.80 CI to 1.00 US). The room service menu said OJ CI$4, and milk CI$3. That's CI$7 total, or US$8.75...So with $5 delivery fee and 20% gratuity that they build in, that should've been US$16.50, not US$21 - that's almost a 30% difference. The menu is in Cayman$ and the bill comes in US$ so I probably wasn't supposed to notice. When I called room service, the woman said, you just don't understand that your bill is in $US. I said I did realize and asked her to check her menu and her math. She agreed and sent up a new bill. Just a small story but one I think is indicative of what's happening here - having to make sure you're not overpaying by 30% when you're already paying 5-star prices. That kind of mistake makes it hard to trust your bills, have a few drinks, and sit back and relax.

Another up-charge opportunity - when we hit the beach yesterday at around 3:00pm, we were sitting on one of the empty daybeds and pretty much had the beach to ourselves. A server came by and said that the beds were for rent only. OK...how much? CI$75. One of the other families had suggested we ask him for a different rate because it was already 3:30pm. He microphoned in to HQ, secret service style, and said that I was asking for a half-day rate and miraculously I got the bargain rate of CI$36.50. Um, surely this is not the first time this has happened. If you have a half-day rate - give it without my having to ask. It's not a flea market, and I don't want to haggle. It just adds up to a feeling that they're trying to take what they can get rather than put you first and serve you as well as possible.

Finally, many of the things we had planned to do are closed and that was not at all clear when we made our reservation. The Periwinkle restaurant (with the truffle fries!), the 5:30 fish feeding, the 8:00 movie outside, the Blue restaurant -- all closed. The excursions for kids that we'd been planning have also been cut down to a minimum. We booked, and indeed made this whole trip, because we thought we were getting what the web site listed, but at a good price, because we were risking traveling during hurricane season. Not the case. Literally half of the resort is closed. We met and chatted with other families while we were there. We didn't bring up our unhappiness because we didn't want to sour anyone's experience, but invariably, every one of them brought this sort of thing up to us, and we ended up trading stories and tips on how not to get ripped off. Each family said the same thing - I'm not cheap, there's just a big difference between the feeling you're paying a premium for something better and paying a stupid tax for something that's the same. Pretty shameful.

Before I submitted this review, I emailed Ritz Customer Service and told them about this experience. That was 2 weeks ago, and I never heard back. I really don't think they care a bit. So, here's what I paid for additionally - a change fee for our flight to go home because we were so displeased with the whole thing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family