“Amazing hotel, wonderful vacation”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Amazing hotel, wonderful vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this hotel. I stayed for a week over Thanksgiving with my husband, our 4 young children and my parents. We had club level rooms with a garden view. The view was lovely, with the resort side pool, palm trees, and the occasional iguana in sight. The food and presentations at the club lounge were amazing, delicious and plentiful. Cappucinos, smoked salmon, pasties, hot oatmeal, for breakfast. Paninis, soup, sandwiches, salad bar, chicken nuggets and french fries for the kids for lunch. In the evening, sushi, spanikopita, meat skewers with spicy peanut sauce, cheese, olives, mixed drinks, champagne, 6 kinds of good wine, sandwiches and macaroni and cheese for the kids...All day there were big jars of fresh cookies and fun candies. It was totally worth the extra money for club level, especially with little kids who are hungry at all times.

The pool and ocean were beautiful. The beach had sand like powdered sugar and the water was the color of seaglass. There were no waves which made it easy for my kids to swim to the fun rafts they had floating in the water. There were also these floating table and chairs with shade covers and a little table....so fun! we could have lounged in them all day. It was so beautiful and peaceful and just pleasant.

The kids club, the Ambassadors for the Environment, was also amazing! My 6 year old took a solar cooking class, and my 8 year old did a class on underwater photography with her grandfather. Another day my 2 oldest kids took an excursion to the botanical garden to learn about the blue iguana recovery program. They also had astronomy classes, submarine rides, shipwreck snorkeling, etc.....the list is amazing. I felt like they actually learned something rather that were simply babysat.

The service at the hotel was beyond great. I felt like we were treated like royalty by everyone. Every employee i met was happy and friendly. This hotel must be incredibly managed. If you needed anything, there was someone to assist with a smile. My husband loved the workout area and the spa. They offered several classes a day at the gym, but I was too busy in the ocean floating lounge chairs to care!

I could go on and on and on about what a great place this was. It was so easy with kids! Ritz really knows how to treat families that want to vacation together,especially during the holidays. I suggest to those reviewers who do not want to see kids, to perhaps go to a "couples only" resort, or maybe avoid traveling during times when children have time off from school ( like, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, etc.).

The only thing I would do different is reserve one of those giant lounge chairs with the shade right on the beach in advance, as they were booked when I got there. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at (including several other ritzs, many hotels in Hawaii, many in Bermuda, etc.) I will be canceling the disney cruise I had planned this summer to hopefully stay here again during my kids break!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MishMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

In the Grand Cayman I was told it's either the Westin or the Ritz. As far as I am concerned, the Ritz had more going on. It is very family friendly and the amenities never end. The hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and accomodating. The Ritz was associated with a cute tennis facility which was perfect for me. The gym was awesome! Be sure to make reservations for dinner on the weekends.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RDMCALONIE
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

We came for a relaxing vacation and, in general, we had a great time. We had watched the hotel being built and were quite interested to see what it was all about. The hotel, the grounds, the facilities, the service, are stellar and certainly met our expectations. The thing we did not count on was the number of squealing children. We understand a family resort will have children in many places, but at the Ritz-Carlton there is no respite. From "Blue" to "Bar Jack's", toddlers (many of whom were overdue for a time out) are subjected to strange menus in darkened restaurants, resulting in over-stressed parents and anxious, fatigued, children.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

The resort is nice. The beach is great. 'Blue' is worth spending hundreds of dollars on for dinner. But I don't think the Ritz is a great choice for a romantic couples stay. I've never stayed anywhere before that had so many obnoxious, socially clueless adults accompanied by their mannerless screeching children. Where do all these creatures come from?? I don't know, but you can't escape them. They're at the pool, at the beach, at the restaurants... At the Ritz. The Caymans got a lot nicer once we got away from them. I suggest you do the same - unless you're one of them!

3 Thank Timdds
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

I've stayed at Ritz and Four Seasons properties before. In Lanai, Maui, St. Thomas, Miami etc. I must say, I've never felt so nickeled and dimed to death in my whole life than at the Ritz in Grand Cayman. first off.....breakfast buffet for 2....$80 U.S. dollars. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? for a waffle, a piece of overcooked bacon and watermelon juice. OUTRAGEOUS. I had a better buffet at Marriott down the road where I stayed for the first 3 days of my trip. Next, everyone there was fishing for a tip. From the men that open the doors, to man RUNNING down the hall to take my bag, after I emphatically told him "i can do it myself", yanks the bag out of my hand. Then there was the waiter who brought my drink to the beach... THREE TIMES he told us, I brought you extra hot sauce in case your drink isn't spicy enough. THREE TIMES, hoping for a tip. i heard him the first time. The best part was when I was waiting to check out, one of the door attendees asked me if i had a nice stay. Before I could even respond, he saw another guest wheeling his bag down the hallway and ran to help, without even saying, "excuse me, I'll be right back" and even better, after the gentleman tipped him for helping and there was no other customer in sight, he never even returned to me to hear my answer or say, I'm sorry for cutting you off. I could see his priority was the tip. Additionally, the only day I went to the pool, I kid you not, 3 coackroaches floating dead in the pool near the steps. I put one foot in, and stepped back out. Then wanted to try the jacuzzi b/c the day before no one could go in bc of the temperature. AT 10am already, the entire jacuzzi was covered in sand and the water was ice cold. the attendants don't seem to take very good care of cleaning the water in either place. Never again for the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank moepsu
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

My wife and I were looking to relax chill for the week, and the Ritz made it happen. What a fantastic time. Everything was perfect. We have been to some nice places, and this is by far, the best!!!

1 Thank drewaugusta1
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

We enjoyed a great stay at the Ritz Carlton and I had a wonderful half day treatment at the Silver Rain (La Prairie) Spa. Overall, a great experience but it is very expensive, especially the spa. I'm not sure it is worth the money but the experience is memorable and nice to try.

Enjoy,