“Exactly What You'd Expect from a Ritz Carlton”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed 15 December 2010

My wife and I took a 5 night trip to Grand Cayman in October for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We were worried about hurricanes but the weather was excellent for 4.5 out of the 5 days. We chose the Ritz due to a "buy 4 nights get 5th night free" special they were running. The hotel was beautiful and we were immediately upgraded to a suite for our anniversary (thankful they did it for us but the hotel was also at about 30% occupancy as we barely saw anyone at the pools the whole time). The suite was spacious and well appointed. The food, of course, was insanely expensive and while excellent not worth the money (but you expect that going to a Ritz so no big deal). The USD is pegged at .80 Caymanian Dollars. On top of that exchange rate, food is expensive anyway. We rented a car at the hotel to get offsite and not have to pay the exorbitant prices. The Muesli for breakfast was phenomenal. There was a beach and pool on the "Residences" side of the hotel (a covered, indoor, skywalk over the street) and a pool on the hotel side. The beach and water were breathtaking and pool chairs were very comfortable.

Overall, a 5 star experience for certain

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,086)

Reviewed 15 December 2010

Took my parents and brothers to the Caymans for Christmas and New Years of last year as a gift and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. What a great experience.

Seven Mile beach is the most beautiful beach in the world. Seriously, the water, the sand, the atmosphere make it an amazing place to relax and spend time.

The resort is lovely with friendly staff, excellent service and there seemed to be a whole bunch of really intelligent, interesting guests. Met some great people who I still keep in touch with.

The food is awesome! Fresh local caught seafood prepared daily and all the meals met or surpassed expectations from breakfast right down to room service. No complaints.

These guys know how to do it right, very classy yet relaxed and non-pretentious and its located not far from downtown Georgetown so you can take advantage of the great bars, restaurants and tax-free shopping. The resort offers lots by way of jetskis, tours and diving.
The beach did get a bit busy when the cruise ships came in but it only lasts a couple hours.

Great rooms with comfy beds and nice ocean views.

Attention!: If you are in Grand Cayman make sure to check out the sea turtle preserve where they breed endangered sea turtles. Very fun and interesting afternoon out.

Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelGuy128
Reviewed 4 December 2010

This entire trip was one of those that are hard to duplicate. Everything was perfect. We started by having the hotel arrange private transfer for us to the hotel which was very nice and waiting for us when we got through customs.

Our greeting at the hotel was great. We were offered drinks and swiftly taken to our room 634 Ocean front. It was very clean, spacious and yes the balcony directly overlooked the ocean.

We ate breakfast everyday at the buffet at 7 and it had something for everyone. It was fine for our 7 year old son too. The service was exceptional. We also ate almost every dinner except for one at 7 prime cuts and sunsets. Yes it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. We had superb food, outstanding service and the management go out of their way to accommodate any request. We were there for my birthday and each night we went someone was wishing me a Happy Birthday. It was so much that when it was my actual
birthday everyone had sent me wishes about 5 times each over the prior days.

Ambassadors of the environment club is fabulous. Our son just went twice, once snorkeling with James who also explained all about the ocean and the fish and another day when they did a scavenger hunt. The took photos and video of all the activities. The young people whom work in this area are really good with the children. Our son Robbie loved it.
If you are bringing kids to this hotel, make sure you get the kids meal plan. Covers all drinks and food. You will spend way more if you don't have it.

The beach chairs in the front row went quickly, but there were always lots of chairs whenever you wanted one. The pool always had chairs available all day.
Service at both the pool and the beach were great. Food delivered to the beach was quick
and fine quality. No complaints from us. I suggest a bottle of champagne while watching the amazing sunsets.

The gift shop has pails shovels and really nice flip flops and gifts all at reasonable prices.

If you are planning a trip to the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman, relax and enjoy. You will not be disappointed with your choice.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this hotel. I stayed for a week over Thanksgiving with my husband, our 4 young children and my parents. We had club level rooms with a garden view. The view was lovely, with the resort side pool, palm trees, and the occasional iguana in sight. The food and presentations at the club lounge were amazing, delicious and plentiful. Cappucinos, smoked salmon, pasties, hot oatmeal, for breakfast. Paninis, soup, sandwiches, salad bar, chicken nuggets and french fries for the kids for lunch. In the evening, sushi, spanikopita, meat skewers with spicy peanut sauce, cheese, olives, mixed drinks, champagne, 6 kinds of good wine, sandwiches and macaroni and cheese for the kids...All day there were big jars of fresh cookies and fun candies. It was totally worth the extra money for club level, especially with little kids who are hungry at all times.

The pool and ocean were beautiful. The beach had sand like powdered sugar and the water was the color of seaglass. There were no waves which made it easy for my kids to swim to the fun rafts they had floating in the water. There were also these floating table and chairs with shade covers and a little table....so fun! we could have lounged in them all day. It was so beautiful and peaceful and just pleasant.

The kids club, the Ambassadors for the Environment, was also amazing! My 6 year old took a solar cooking class, and my 8 year old did a class on underwater photography with her grandfather. Another day my 2 oldest kids took an excursion to the botanical garden to learn about the blue iguana recovery program. They also had astronomy classes, submarine rides, shipwreck snorkeling, etc.....the list is amazing. I felt like they actually learned something rather that were simply babysat.

The service at the hotel was beyond great. I felt like we were treated like royalty by everyone. Every employee i met was happy and friendly. This hotel must be incredibly managed. If you needed anything, there was someone to assist with a smile. My husband loved the workout area and the spa. They offered several classes a day at the gym, but I was too busy in the ocean floating lounge chairs to care!

I could go on and on and on about what a great place this was. It was so easy with kids! Ritz really knows how to treat families that want to vacation together,especially during the holidays. I suggest to those reviewers who do not want to see kids, to perhaps go to a "couples only" resort, or maybe avoid traveling during times when children have time off from school ( like, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, etc.).

The only thing I would do different is reserve one of those giant lounge chairs with the shade right on the beach in advance, as they were booked when I got there. This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at (including several other ritzs, many hotels in Hawaii, many in Bermuda, etc.) I will be canceling the disney cruise I had planned this summer to hopefully stay here again during my kids break!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank MishMom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

In the Grand Cayman I was told it's either the Westin or the Ritz. As far as I am concerned, the Ritz had more going on. It is very family friendly and the amenities never end. The hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and accomodating. The Ritz was associated with a cute tennis facility which was perfect for me. The gym was awesome! Be sure to make reservations for dinner on the weekends.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank RDMCALONIE
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We came for a relaxing vacation and, in general, we had a great time. We had watched the hotel being built and were quite interested to see what it was all about. The hotel, the grounds, the facilities, the service, are stellar and certainly met our expectations. The thing we did not count on was the number of squealing children. We understand a family resort will have children in many places, but at the Ritz-Carlton there is no respite. From "Blue" to "Bar Jack's", toddlers (many of whom were overdue for a time out) are subjected to strange menus in darkened restaurants, resulting in over-stressed parents and anxious, fatigued, children.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The resort is nice. The beach is great. 'Blue' is worth spending hundreds of dollars on for dinner. But I don't think the Ritz is a great choice for a romantic couples stay. I've never stayed anywhere before that had so many obnoxious, socially clueless adults accompanied by their mannerless screeching children. Where do all these creatures come from?? I don't know, but you can't escape them. They're at the pool, at the beach, at the restaurants... At the Ritz. The Caymans got a lot nicer once we got away from them. I suggest you do the same - unless you're one of them!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Sunshine Suites Resort
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!