“More than I expected!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Iowa
“More than I expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

I was fortunate enough to visit this grand resort on my boyfriend's company dime and I will spend the next 10 years saving up to go back again. Everything was excellent, from the friendly and helpful staff to the marvelous aqua ocean. The resort is large, but not Disneyland large. The steakhouse restaurant (I forget the name) is marvelous. The truffle mac & cheese is dreamy. Their brunch is spectacular, but come very hungry, as it is quite pricey. All in all, the trip of a lifetime!

1 Thank gaylene21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

After hearing so much about the Sunday Brunch at the Ritz, my husband and I had to experience it for ourselves. We weren't staying at the hotel but made our way down to the Ritz last Sunday where we reserved a table outside on the patio for the all you can drink champagne and all you can eat brunch. Everything was excellent from the sushi, omelette station, caviar (that's right- all you can eat caviar), beef wellington, Peking duck, lamb shank, an assortment of cheeses and the list goes on. The highlight for me was the desserts. I wish I had have eaten the desserts first. Our favourites were the chocolate volcano cake, chocolate mousse and chocolate peanut butter cake. While it was not inexpensive (about $250 US), it was a special treat that we do not regret one bit.

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

This has to be a top Ritz Carlton resort. The staff is always ready to go to the ends of the earth to make your trip a good one. Everything about this stay was perfect. Honestly, I couldn't fault a thing. I have been to the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne and it is like chalk and cheese. The whole experience for parents and children was perfect. I have to commend Ambassadors of the Environment for the children too. My children wanted to go back there every evening - couldn't get enough of it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank janjanvanman059
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz mid-December for 5 nights during our anniversary week. We have traveled to many, many islands of the Caribbean and have stayed at some very nice resorts, i.e, Little Dix Bay, Peter Island Resort, Raffles Resort in the Grenadines which were all extremely nice properties. What sets the Ritz apart from all the others is the utmost professional level of the service staff. From the time we arrived to the time we left, we always were made to feel as most welcomed guests. While the room (we stayed in a resort view room) was very nice, we have stayed in much more elaborate accommodations. But, never, ever, have we had the sense that the staff really cared about your needs as they did at this Ritz Carlton.
On arrival we received a plate of huge choclate covered strawberries to help us celebrate our anniversary. We were phoned at least twice during our stay to ask if we needed anything. Our room was cleaned promptly and efficiently, and always was done when we were out.. If we got "lost" on route to a location in the hotel, a staff member would actually walk us there. Wait staff in dining rooms (we ate only at the Palm Lounge and the 7 Prime) could describe in detail the menu options, and also took note that I have a food allergy. The pool attendant at the North Pool was very attentive and wait staff was always there if food or drinks were requested. The golf course personnel always seemed to be able to squeeze my husband in for a tee time when he called to make a reservation. Even up until the last hour that we were there, we got a knock on the door - it was the maid asking if we needed any more towels or toiletries before we left the resort. That was totally amazing, as most travellers know, the maids are usually knocking on the door and asking when are you going to be leaving so that they can clean the room! There was just a general feeling of everyone trying to be helpful. This comes with a price, but if you decide to stay at a Ritz, you should be aware that your stay will not be inexpensive.
The hotel is well-laid out, and I actually enjoyed the walk to the beach thru the art covered hallway that crosses over to the beach. You have no idea that you are walking over a road- no noise and quite beautiful surroundings.
Yes, the pool (s) are cool or cold, but I had no problem adjusting after getting in the water- actually getting out with a cloud overhead was more of a challenge.
We had only 4 meals at the Ritz, all very good if not excellent. As an FYI, we did have a dinner at the Brasserie in Cricket Square in Georgetown. Very good and reasonably priced, just make sure of location before going, and only open Monday thru Friday.

Before going on our vacation, we were trying to decide between GC and 2 other islands. This was our 3rd visit to GC, last visit 2001, prior to Ivan. Was surprised at all the changes, but the most pleasant surprise was how much we just LOVED the Ritz.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gardengirlBoston
dix hills, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We are just concluding our 10th trip to Grand Cayman, our favorite Caribbean country. We find it to be by far the safest country you can visit of all the Caribbean islands. We always feels super safe and comfortable on this island. We started staying at the Ritz Carlton a few years ago. We used to stay at the old Britannia Hyatt, but it never was rebuilt after Hurricane Ivan, there are still insurance haggling issues going on about it.

The Ritz is a terrific hotel, with one of the nicest , largest beachfronts for a hotel anywhere in Grand Cayman. It is a huge hotel, with plenty of property, including a golf course, which I did not play on. The rooms are spacious, the service is usually attentive. Get to the beach reasonably early though, because people show up early, get their lounges for the day, and then it can turn into a little bit of a free for all after that. But we always managed to get lounges, every day, although the weekend is much more crowded than midweek.

My only real complaint this trip was the hassle the front desk put me through before I could get a late checkout. If I had booked the trip on AMEX platinum, instead of a travel package, then I would not have had a problem. Still, it was extremely difficult to convince the hotel to grant me a late checkout. They wanted me to check out of the room by noon, and then grant me the privilege of showering in the bathroom of one of the poolside areas and stowing my stuff away with the valet people.

For me, it is a real pain not to have the room until it is time to really check out, and since we had a late flight we wanted to enjoy the day as much as possible without being displaced. Finally, I called the general manager of the hotel, and voila, we were granted late checkout. But why put me through the hassle first?

The other thing I need to warn you about is that there is an infestation of mosquitos. I am bitten up over my entire body, I must have 100 mosquito bites. My daughter, who is 21 and traveling with us on this trip is also severely bitten up by mosquitos. We are both uncomfortable and itching like crazy. I think we are getting bitten up in the Seven breakfast area and by the beachside restaurant. Take some strong mosquito repellent with you. This is the first time I can remember having this problem in Grand Cayman.

We enjoyed our meals at (in order of enjoyment)
Calypso
Casanova
Yoshi
Perrywinkle (Ritz Resort- casual)

Downtown Georgetown is a big nothing, don't waste your time there unless you really have nothing to do. We even were anxious to purchase a local artwork of a beach scene, and we found out that there is not much in the way of artists down in Grand Cayman.

We will wait till we return to NY to buy something.

Enjoy.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bucharest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

We have stayed at The Ritz for a few days and to my surprise, I have only nice things to say about it. We've stayed at the Ritz before in Madrid and that was a huge disappointment so you can imagine I was very circumspect about trying the chain again.
Here, the Spa was what impressed me the most. They work exclusively with La Prairie products and their beauticians are very well trained. The massage techniques are very good, the relaxation area is cozy, and the snacks are healthy and plentiful. The staff is really wonderful. They come from all parts of the world: Romanians, Indians, Greek, Australians, Indonesians, etc and they all have a smile and something nice to tell you at all times.

1 Thank NomadSoul88
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

Spent 4 days at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman Islands before the holidays in December. Everything good and bad has been said in prior reviews. Yes, everything from a diet coke to a steak is expensive and yes its even 20% higher than the U.S. Ritz properties but this is due to the cayman currency. That's the choice you make by picking the Cayman Islands as your vacation destination. One small complaint we had was that the hot items at the breakfast buffet weren't actually hot, but lukewarm, all 3 mornings. Turn up those burners! I've seen complaints that the resort side rooms are too far from the beach. They have an art gallery to distract you from noticing how long of a walk it is but I'd say this was not an inconvenience at at all. Free parking was also a nice perk. Aside from breakfast and 2 lunches on the beach, we ate all of our meals outside the resort which I recommend. Copper Falls Steakhouse was excellent. I was originally troubled by the fact that the ritz adds 30-35% to your booked room rate in resort fees (& taxes) but by the end of the trip I was satisfied considering the included amenities such as in-room WiFi, daily newspaper, kayaks, snorkels, morning coffee, etc. Service all around, from the beach to the front desk to the rooms, was excellent. One particular instance was at the resort side pool the last day. My wife and I were laying out and enjoying total quietness when a group of filmmakers who appeared to be from a travel agency set up shop and started filming. Sounded like being at a lot in universal studios the way they were talking and carrying on. They didn't get us in the shot which I would flipped out about, but they were very loud. After a few minutes, a woman in a suit walked briskly to the film director, asked him for his authorization to film on the property, told him and everyone with him to quiet down, then asked them to leave. On her way back inside she stopped by our loungers and apologies for the disruption. Another small personal gripe of mine was that the resort was LOADED with kids. This is to be expected at a self described "family resort" but some couples looked for peace and quiet might find this to be a detriment to their stay. The last point I'd make is that we had to decide between the Ritz and the Westin for our Cayman vacation and I can clearly say we made the right choice. Walking thru the nearby Westin, we could sense a drop in service and amenities compared to the Ritz. The wired beach chairs were the same as you'd find at a Holiday Inn in Tampa, FL with crappy blue towels draped over them. All in all, the Ritz is a great pick and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple