Pirates Point Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Little Cayman
See available hotels
Paradise Villas(Little Cayman)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Southern Cross Club(Little Cayman)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Le Soleil d'Or(Cayman Brac)
View Hotel
All reviewsdive boatmexican traingreat divinggreat foodother guestssushibloody bay wallgrand caymanevery mealyear after yearair consumptionlaid backdive stafffamily atmospherenew friendsrepeat customersinteresting people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The diving in Little Cayman is stellar; I don't need to tell you that.

Pirates Point was absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was looking for.

It is small (10 rooms), immaculately clean, and staffed by warm, welcoming folks who will go the extra mile to make sure your vacation is great. The resort is a on big sprawling compound where you never feel crowded; the staff are open and friendly and make you genuinely feel like they're happy you're there. They take amazing care of all the details, so all you have to do is sip your drink and tell another story. They teach you things you didn't know you wanted to know; they help you become a better diver. They also make you gain weight, because you never have to carry your tanks or gear or suitcases, and they feed you fresh, delicious home-style food 3 times a day.

If you are looking for bars to cruise and discos to party in all night, don't come here. If you are looking for a high-end, exclusive resort where anonymous minions silently serve you, this is not the place for you. Pirates Point is more like going to a family reunion (except in a tropical paradise): You know, complete with all the characters: the slightly deaf old aunt who plays a mean game of dominoes, the gruff uncle who just happens to be a world-class chef, assorted cousins who've come from all over the place and have fascinating life stories, and are eager to hear *your* fascinating life story.... And the guests are equally as colourful. You'll get to know everyone as you dive together, mix each other drinks in the bar before dinner, and sit down to meals at family-style tables and stuff yourselves on the incredible food that is laid before you. You'll meet people you don't want to lose touch with. You'll make plans to come back together on the same week next year. You will waddle back to the airplane with a full belly, a list of new friends, a whole bunch of amazing memories, and a smile you just can't wipe off your face.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NursePamba
Reviewed 8 April 2012

When I told someone I was going to Little Cayman Island they said "You should get certified to SCUBA, It would be a crime to go there and not SCUBA" OK, OK, I think they were right... BUT, we still really had a good time!
I, darling wife (DW) and 13yo daughter (DD), just got back from spring break down on Little Cayman Island. I saw Pirates Point and Bloody Bay wall in 100 Places to See Before You Die and was intrigued by the chance to see amazing coral reefs in relative comfort. We had snorkeled off St John in the USVI and were looking for a similar experience. This was similar but in some ways better.
Little Cayman is a very undeveloped, flat, sparsely inhabited island about 60 miles from Grand Cayman. You take a 12 seater twin otter plant to get there from GC. It is relatively unspoiled and has numerous endangered blue iguanas and the largest nesting colony of red-footed boobies in the Caribbean. Many other lizards and big hermit crabs are everywhere. The white van met us at the airport and transported us back to the resort.
There are only about 10 rooms at the resort and all meals are included (there's not too many other places to eat anyway!). As noted in the other reviews the food is spectacular and the rooms are nice and very comfortable. We had a nice ocean breeze and did not have to use the AC. Water is a precious commodity on the island so we took fast showers. We felt pampered the whole time and spent a lot of afternoons on the lounges in the shade in front of the cabina or relaxing by the pool.
We had our own masks and snorkels and rented fins there. DW and DD also rented shortie wetsuits so they could snorkel longer without getting cold. We got in late Sat afternoon and tried the gear out in the nice pool the first day. The following morning we went snorkeling in the shallows in front of the resort. Everything went well and we saw a good variety of sea creatures, including 2 large, scary-looking lobsters. Then we rode the resorts bikes around to get the lay of the land.
The island is flat so biking is easy and the resort bikes are single speed cruisers with big fat tires. We biked to "town", which is the airport and a shop that does groceries, hardware, gas, car and scooter rentals and everything else. The Trust building nearby has great views of the nesting boobies and frigate birds with telescopes set up. We saw numerous other migratory and endemic birds as well including lots of black necked stilts and West Indian whistling ducks in the Westerly Ponds across the road from the resort. In an abandoned development, Mahogany Bay, about a half-mile from the resort, is a breeding ground for the blue iguanas and the critters are everywhere there.
At dinner, you sit with the other guests, most of whom are divers and repeat customers. They were all very interesting people who had traveled extensively and between good conversation, good food, and liberal pourings of wine we found the evenings passed delightfully. After dinner, we retired to the bar to play Mexican train dominos with Gladys, the owner, who taught us quickly how to play. We had a blast and bought the game for ourselves after we left.
The next day, we rode our bikes to Jackson Point, an easy entry off the shore snorkel site on the north side of the island. Snorkeling was amazing here and you could swim to the wall easily, we would go back here one more time as it was so good for turtles and eagle rays and relatively easy to get to.
We snorkeled off the dive boat for 3 days which was very convenient and we could explore different sites easily, warm up on the boat, get a snack or drink..all very civilized. The dive masters and staff knew everything about the dive sites and are incredibly patient and experienced. They know the best places to go and when. DD and I want to come back and get certified for SCUBA, hard to beat the staff and the location!
In conclusion, if you like awesome snorkeling/diving, beautiful pristine islands, lots of wildlife, and a great staff--this is for you. Where we were the shore is ironstone, hard coral and rock so not the best lace for romping in the surf. Point of Sand on the other end of the island is supposed to have a nice beach but we never made it. But we never missed it either!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tatenann
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Clean rooms. A lovely setting. Absolutely amazingly good food (how do they get such fresh food to this tiny little island?). Warm and friendly staff. Stunning, world-class diving with a laid-back vibe on reefs that defy description. Nothing fancy (hang out at the bar and play dominoes for entertainment at night), but scenic, relaxing and all-around wonderful. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: It appears the "beach front rooms" are not air conditioned, but with the breeze off the water it was lovely just with the cool air through the screened windows.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Torontogoodguy
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've just returned ( again) from my yearly vacation to Pirate's Point Resort. I travel by myself, don't dive ( medical reasons). Snorkel lots. And all you need to do is hop on a rusty bike, peddle around and find so many beautiful places to plunk yourself in the water. And see the most amazing sea life!

Such a beautiful place to relax, read books, make many new friends who you'll see again next year, when you come back.

Even as a non-diver, this island has the best diving. So I've heard from many guests over many years. And they keep coming back. As do I.

Why? The staff is the best ever. Friendly, helpful. There to answer the big questions and the little ones. Martha, a dive master, helped me solve a problem with my snorkel. Meant much to me. See, non-divers are just as welcome as divers. The food? Gourmet. And lots of healthy choices. Be prepared to gladly gain a few pounds!!

Little Cayman is safe. Feel free to go anywhere. The only thing that may startle you is an unexpected iguana...Little Cayman is a nature preserve, both above and below ground. You'll learn why not to feed the fish or iguanas. Bob & Mike are the experts on that!

I booked for next year on my way out the door! Please visit my home away from home and know peace like you've never known it before. And, everyone, guests and staff, become part of your family. Pirate's Point is part of mine...11 more months and I'm home again!!

Room Tip: all rooms are exceptional. beach front rooms (4) are not air-conditioned. they are "trade wind" conditioned. the rooms a bit away from the water have air conditioning.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank rjwal11
Reviewed 23 March 2012

As a snorkeler - I am always dubious of 'dive resorts' but I have to say I had a great week at Pirates Point. There is great snorkeling off the dive boat and the staff would suggest when I should and shouldn't come along. There is shallow snorkeling off the resort which is an easy warm up and very safe. Would be best when it's not too windy as its only 4-5 ft deep for the most part. But turtles every time I snorkeled atleast once a day!

The resort is very comfortable, very casual with friendly guests and staff! Fabulous food in a family style dining room which was great for the 'lone snorkeler' of the group.

I can easily see why 80% of their clientele is repeat - it feels a bit like a posh summer camp - you can throw your watch away for the week! I would highly recommend it as long as you don't want to dress for dinner or watch CNN!
Anne

Room Tip: The ocean side rooms are the newest but NOT air-conditioned - decide if you want the breezes or the cool sleeping!- But the ocean side rooms are also the only ones with small decks. (Although the pool side patio and beach chairs everywhere work just fine)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo