“Believe the hype”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
London, United Kingdom
“Believe the hype”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

It's all true! Pirates Point is truly a warm and intimate resort, relaxed and friendly, and with great food. And the all-inclusive dive package, which includes 2 dives a day, all meals and alcohol, is very good value.

Rooms are spacious, well laid out and very comfortable. There are lots of hammocks throughout the property and they're well used :-) The food is truly delicious, plentiful and varied. Fish tacos for lunch one day, Southern fried chicken for lunch another day, sushi and tuna night (the highlight) will keep you suspended in delicious anticipation for your next meal.

My husband and I have dived once a year every year for the last 10 years but we learned a few things from the dive instructors that we didn't know we didn't know. We met some really nice fellow guests during our week at Pirates Point and hope to meet up with them at some point again in the future.

The staff are welcoming and generous and they truly care about your experience at Pirates Point. You not only know them by name, but you get to know them well by the end of your stay. I felt comfortable enough, even as a first-timer, to ask for mint and limes from the kitchen and make mojitos one night!

Most guests come back year after year (we met people who'd come back the 14th time, the 10th time, the 4th time, etc., etc.) and we can see why. They make friends with other guests and the staff so going back is really like going home. Often people who've met at Pirates Point go back together. If we go back to Little Cayman, we won't consider going anywhere other than Pirates Point.

If you'd like to dive in the Caribbean, Little Cayman is probably the best place to dive. And Pirates Point is definitely the way to go! Even if you don't dive, it's a lovely place to relax, unwind and meet interesting people. A real vacation! Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are lovely. They have a sea view and lead directly to the beach. Though they...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pokkstar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Wow, what a trip!!! They do such a great job here. I am truly able to relax enjoy the diving and forget about the rest of the world. The diving is great not only because the dive sites are superb, but also due to the fact the staff runs a very good operation in getting you in and out of the water. They have a great boat for handling divers and they never have too many divers on the boat. you are allowed to dive as long as you like for each of the 2 dives as long as you do not go into deco and maintain at least 500 psi and on Little Cayman you want to stay down as long as you can.
The rooms are very nice and well maintained. They have a nice pool if you want to swim after your dives. They have hammocks in the shade where I seem to fall asleep every afternoon while reading. The resort is right on the shore, so you can go snorkling in the afternoon or grab a bike to ride around the island.
The dining is superb, it compares to any good restaurant in a major city. The number of guest they allow is small so by the end of the week, you feel like everyone is part of your family.
The dive staff not only handles the dives, but help with the work at the resort. You get to know each of them and they always have a good attitude and are willing to lend a friendly hand.
I always feel guilty when I leave as I never feel like I have paid them enough for everything they have done to make my vacation, truly a vacation.
This is my third trip to Pirate's and I know I will be going back again!

Room Tip: get a room on the ocean to enjoy the nice ocean breeze
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hartman47
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I heartily agree with the positive comments of other reviewers here. I could just end there, but I thought it would be helpful to add in some points not mentioned before and emphasize others.

First, Pirate’s Point is an unparalleled VALUE among Little Cayman dive resorts. It is an ALL inclusive property in a world of nickel & dime supplemental add-ons – All boat diving, all bar, all meals (including wine). – NO surprises!

The property itself is UNIQUE -- Pirate’s Point is the only dive resort on Little Cayman located right on the ocean. You can snorkel and hunt lobster by simply stepping from Pirate’s Point beach into the water.

You leave to dive at 9:00a.m., after breakfast. Lunch is served whenever you return. You dive your computer, not the chef’s lunch schedule. – You use the same boat every dive so you don’t have to swap gear, and your position, from boat to boat.

Guests always have access to the dining room before sunrise to pour fresh coffee and shuffle down to the beach to watch the glowing sun rise out of an azure sea. Ahhhhhh…
It is not unusual (every trip I’ve been on) to have a Champagne/Sushi reception in the owner’s beachfront home.

Pirate’s Point is INTIMATE – As other reviewers have mentioned, being at Pirate’s Point is almost like staying with family. And most guests develop an instant rapport with one another, like being at a neighborhood cookout.

The staff to guest ratio is outstanding. The resort holds 20 guests maximum and there are always at least 7 permanent staff members to serve you. -- You’ll think you are the ONLY one in the world they treat this good, but that’s their secret. They deliver this intimate service to ALL their guests throughout the year.

Pirate’s Point food is FRESH and 5-STAR QUALITY – Gladys Howard, Pirate’s Point impresario and owner, demands fresh vegetables, fruits and fish (personally selected by the chef from local fisherman) – special dietary requests are cheerfully accommodated. – The quality of dishes on the dinner menu is mind-blowing, and award winning. Beware of desserts, they’re rich and irresistible!

Last comment on food: I must admit that at the end of the trip I was ready for a piece of dry toast and glass of skim milk after the richness of the food at PP. But that’s OK, it’s only ONCE A YEAR!

GO before the outside world runs over this one-of-a-kind treasure -- It can’t last forever -- Should be on your bucket list!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tim B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The diving in Little Cayman is stellar; I don't need to tell you that.

Pirates Point was absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was looking for.

It is small (10 rooms), immaculately clean, and staffed by warm, welcoming folks who will go the extra mile to make sure your vacation is great. The resort is a on big sprawling compound where you never feel crowded; the staff are open and friendly and make you genuinely feel like they're happy you're there. They take amazing care of all the details, so all you have to do is sip your drink and tell another story. They teach you things you didn't know you wanted to know; they help you become a better diver. They also make you gain weight, because you never have to carry your tanks or gear or suitcases, and they feed you fresh, delicious home-style food 3 times a day.

If you are looking for bars to cruise and discos to party in all night, don't come here. If you are looking for a high-end, exclusive resort where anonymous minions silently serve you, this is not the place for you. Pirates Point is more like going to a family reunion (except in a tropical paradise): You know, complete with all the characters: the slightly deaf old aunt who plays a mean game of dominoes, the gruff uncle who just happens to be a world-class chef, assorted cousins who've come from all over the place and have fascinating life stories, and are eager to hear *your* fascinating life story.... And the guests are equally as colourful. You'll get to know everyone as you dive together, mix each other drinks in the bar before dinner, and sit down to meals at family-style tables and stuff yourselves on the incredible food that is laid before you. You'll meet people you don't want to lose touch with. You'll make plans to come back together on the same week next year. You will waddle back to the airplane with a full belly, a list of new friends, a whole bunch of amazing memories, and a smile you just can't wipe off your face.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NursePamba
Wyoming, OH
Reviewed 8 April 2012

When I told someone I was going to Little Cayman Island they said "You should get certified to SCUBA, It would be a crime to go there and not SCUBA" OK, OK, I think they were right... BUT, we still really had a good time!
I, darling wife (DW) and 13yo daughter (DD), just got back from spring break down on Little Cayman Island. I saw Pirates Point and Bloody Bay wall in 100 Places to See Before You Die and was intrigued by the chance to see amazing coral reefs in relative comfort. We had snorkeled off St John in the USVI and were looking for a similar experience. This was similar but in some ways better.
Little Cayman is a very undeveloped, flat, sparsely inhabited island about 60 miles from Grand Cayman. You take a 12 seater twin otter plant to get there from GC. It is relatively unspoiled and has numerous endangered blue iguanas and the largest nesting colony of red-footed boobies in the Caribbean. Many other lizards and big hermit crabs are everywhere. The white van met us at the airport and transported us back to the resort.
There are only about 10 rooms at the resort and all meals are included (there's not too many other places to eat anyway!). As noted in the other reviews the food is spectacular and the rooms are nice and very comfortable. We had a nice ocean breeze and did not have to use the AC. Water is a precious commodity on the island so we took fast showers. We felt pampered the whole time and spent a lot of afternoons on the lounges in the shade in front of the cabina or relaxing by the pool.
We had our own masks and snorkels and rented fins there. DW and DD also rented shortie wetsuits so they could snorkel longer without getting cold. We got in late Sat afternoon and tried the gear out in the nice pool the first day. The following morning we went snorkeling in the shallows in front of the resort. Everything went well and we saw a good variety of sea creatures, including 2 large, scary-looking lobsters. Then we rode the resorts bikes around to get the lay of the land.
The island is flat so biking is easy and the resort bikes are single speed cruisers with big fat tires. We biked to "town", which is the airport and a shop that does groceries, hardware, gas, car and scooter rentals and everything else. The Trust building nearby has great views of the nesting boobies and frigate birds with telescopes set up. We saw numerous other migratory and endemic birds as well including lots of black necked stilts and West Indian whistling ducks in the Westerly Ponds across the road from the resort. In an abandoned development, Mahogany Bay, about a half-mile from the resort, is a breeding ground for the blue iguanas and the critters are everywhere there.
At dinner, you sit with the other guests, most of whom are divers and repeat customers. They were all very interesting people who had traveled extensively and between good conversation, good food, and liberal pourings of wine we found the evenings passed delightfully. After dinner, we retired to the bar to play Mexican train dominos with Gladys, the owner, who taught us quickly how to play. We had a blast and bought the game for ourselves after we left.
The next day, we rode our bikes to Jackson Point, an easy entry off the shore snorkel site on the north side of the island. Snorkeling was amazing here and you could swim to the wall easily, we would go back here one more time as it was so good for turtles and eagle rays and relatively easy to get to.
We snorkeled off the dive boat for 3 days which was very convenient and we could explore different sites easily, warm up on the boat, get a snack or drink..all very civilized. The dive masters and staff knew everything about the dive sites and are incredibly patient and experienced. They know the best places to go and when. DD and I want to come back and get certified for SCUBA, hard to beat the staff and the location!
In conclusion, if you like awesome snorkeling/diving, beautiful pristine islands, lots of wildlife, and a great staff--this is for you. Where we were the shore is ironstone, hard coral and rock so not the best lace for romping in the surf. Point of Sand on the other end of the island is supposed to have a nice beach but we never made it. But we never missed it either!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tatenann
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Clean rooms. A lovely setting. Absolutely amazingly good food (how do they get such fresh food to this tiny little island?). Warm and friendly staff. Stunning, world-class diving with a laid-back vibe on reefs that defy description. Nothing fancy (hang out at the bar and play dominoes for entertainment at night), but scenic, relaxing and all-around wonderful. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: It appears the "beach front rooms" are not air conditioned, but with the breeze off the wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Torontogoodguy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've just returned ( again) from my yearly vacation to Pirate's Point Resort. I travel by myself, don't dive ( medical reasons). Snorkel lots. And all you need to do is hop on a rusty bike, peddle around and find so many beautiful places to plunk yourself in the water. And see the most amazing sea life!

Such a beautiful place to relax, read books, make many new friends who you'll see again next year, when you come back.

Even as a non-diver, this island has the best diving. So I've heard from many guests over many years. And they keep coming back. As do I.

Why? The staff is the best ever. Friendly, helpful. There to answer the big questions and the little ones. Martha, a dive master, helped me solve a problem with my snorkel. Meant much to me. See, non-divers are just as welcome as divers. The food? Gourmet. And lots of healthy choices. Be prepared to gladly gain a few pounds!!

Little Cayman is safe. Feel free to go anywhere. The only thing that may startle you is an unexpected iguana...Little Cayman is a nature preserve, both above and below ground. You'll learn why not to feed the fish or iguanas. Bob & Mike are the experts on that!

I booked for next year on my way out the door! Please visit my home away from home and know peace like you've never known it before. And, everyone, guests and staff, become part of your family. Pirate's Point is part of mine...11 more months and I'm home again!!

Room Tip: all rooms are exceptional. beach front rooms (4) are not air-conditioned. they are "trade wind...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman
Paradise Villas
Paradise Villas
#4 of 4 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!