“Great Food, Great Diving, Great People”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great Food, Great Diving, Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have to concur with what everyone else has to say about Pirates Point. We had no idea of what was in store when we went. To get in from the airport and go almost straight to dinner where we had roast lamb with a port wine reduction sauce along with potatoes, carrots, and asparagus was just overwhelming! We had no idea that Chef’s Dianne and Jeff would seek to constantly outdo each other as the week went on. The soups at lunch were just fantastic; a smoky tomato bisque, black bean, hot & sour that would put any Asian restaurant to the test and cream of brie!

Then there was BBQ night with some of the best ribs I’ve ever had covered with Jeff’s own sauce that he’s spent a year perfecting. Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes, the famous broccoli salad, chocolate chip cookies with pistachios, black forest ham & cheese quiche, blueberry & cream cheese coffee cake, lamb sliders with home-made mint mayo, Mahi and avocado salad, French toast with strawberry preserves and real whipped cream, grilled Wahoo with an Italian roulade, eggplant stuffed with a marinara-cheese-basil mixture, tiramisu, Eggs Florentine, shrimp & pesto pizza, pork tenderloin with a sun-dried apricot reduction sauce, and more and more and more…..

There are only ten rooms so the whole atmosphere is like a large family. As someone else mentioned you can make a lot of new friends and dive buddies over the course of a week. Many people who have met there come back the same week every year to dive with their new friends. The Wi-Fi doesn’t quite make it to the rooms, which is probably a good thing. The water is completely safe to drink and divers get as much alcohol as they want from the well-stocked bar. We had a room with A/C. The other option is a beach front room where you’re at the mercy of the trade winds. At this time of year it gets very hot if you’re out of the breeze. The A/C kept us plenty comfortable at night. We had one problem with our room in that the bathroom sink was nearly completely clogged. We let them know and by the time I got back from diving the next day it was draining freely.

Oh yeah, I was there to dive. My still pictures can’t do justice to Bloody Bay Wall. You either have to see it in person or have someone shoot a lot of video. You gotta love the Nassau grouper some of which are so tame they let Mike give them a hug and are constantly following you on dives to get some attention. They may also be looking to get a free Lion Fish meal. Hawksbill turtles galore along with some young green turtles and a couple of Loggerheads. Saw my first pipe fish ever! I like places where I can do three or more dives a day but with just two a day this is a nice, slow pace with plenty of time to relax. The dive operation is first class with a nice large boat and five instructor/dive masters that can do everything from drive the boat to wash dishes in the kitchen.

On my second day as soon as I jumped in the water I noticed the volume of bubbles emerging from my pressure gauge console had increased markedly from the day before and also noticed some pinprick air leaks from the hose outside the console assembly. Not wanting to risk a high pressure hose blowout at 100 feet I swam back to the boat, climbed up and within five minutes Mike and Martha had replaced the hose and used Martha’s personal hose mount to secure my computer to the replacement hose all while I’m still sitting on the bench in full gear. Back in the water, dive saved!

One more note on the food. On Friday night Gladys Howard holds a little party at her house on the edge of the property. On this occasion we had Lion Fish sushi along with several other kinds and Champagne. A couple of us watched Chef Jeff prepare it. Very interesting.

On the next to the last night I finally got sucked into the Mexican Domino games and ended up wishing I had started at the beginning of the week. It was a lot of fun and provided the perfect after-dinner activity to take you all the way to bed time. Gladys is very hard to beat though.

We had an early flight out on Saturday. Chef Dianne was making spinach quiche for everyone else in two big pies. For the three of us that had to leave early she made us personal quiches in baking dishes that would have been the equivalent of two slices each of the big pies. Also had link sausages and apple strudel. This kept us well satisfied until we reached Tampa late in the afternoon.

We usually like to avoid going to the same place two years in a row but we may have to make an exception with Pirates Point.

Room Tip: During the summer from June until closing in August I would personally recommend rooms with A/C.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Ronsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We spent five nights here in April 2012. My traveling partner had won a trip to the Ritz-Carlton on Grand Cayman, so we dove Little Cayman first. After five days diving and staying at Pirates Point, I didn't want to go to the Ritz! I wanted to stay at Pirates Point! The food was incredible. When I read other reviews before we chose to stay here, I thought, sure the food is good. We go to Michelin-star restaurants. But it really IS that good! Everything is very organized - one of the two chefs rings a dive tank to signal meals. Everyone eats together, and as a result, you really get to know the other guests. This was another reason we didn't want to leave - we really made some wonderful friends on this trip. Only two couples (us being one) of the 14 total people staying had never been there. The other 10 people had all been there two, three, four times.
I did my open water test with Bob the Dive Master, and I am so glad I did it here. He was incredibly patient, knowledgeable, and all around a great teacher. My favorite thing about him was that he sat down with me at the end of each day to recap and debrief - what went well? What do I think I should improve for next dive?" After my fourth dive with him - before my 'graduation ceremony' at dinner - he told me to "stay teachable. Don't become a complacent diver." I am a teacher, and am a bit of a perpetual student, so this was very meaningful advice to me.
All meals, drinks, wifi, etc. are included. I really liked being able to walk in and get a soda, beer, glass of ice, when I need or want it.

Our room was perfect for a dive trip: clean with a cozy, comfortable bed, hot shower, plenty of outlets for e-readers, no TV, a table to sit and put on sunscreen, a window air conditioning unit, fan.

My absolute favorite part of this trip - other than the ridiculously amazing diving - was the hammocks by the water. Each day when we returned from diving, we ate lunch, grabbed a big glass of ice water, and retired to a hammock. There was a lovely breeze, just enough sun, and it was soooo relaxing. There is a pool, but I found no need to sit around it when the hammock was calling my name! I brought my book each time, but promptly fell asleep each time. :)

Mike and Martha are also incredible dive masters - safe but laid back. Michelle has a very different dive master style - a bit tough for my tastes - but she is safety conscious and professional. All of the dive masters are knowledgeable, dedicated to safe diving for divers and marine life, and professional.

Before leaving Pirates Point, we exchanged emails with the other guests and wished that we could meet up again next year. I haven't done this on a trip since I traveled through Europe as a college student. When we returned home, we recreated a few of the meals, our favorite being tuna salad with seared tuna steak, avocado, tomato, capers, and asparagus. Delicious and healthy!
This resort IS different - different than any place I have ever stayed. We decided about night #2 that we would save our money so we can return. I can't wait! We recently stayed at a lovely resort in Cozumel to dive (not to mention the Ritz) and both places I tried (unsuccessfully) to compare them to Pirates Point.

If you are looking for champagne and caviar-type hotels, this is not for you. If you want clean rooms, delicious food, amazing diving, great service, and new friends, this is for you.

Room Tip: We had a room "inland." Next time, we will book early so we can get a room on the water. T...
3 Thank MichelleChicago124
New Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Divers need a "buddie" to dive with. After 5 trips to Pirates Point we have plenty to draw from! The excellent staff and well seasoned dive masters are ones we have been bud'n up with for the last five years straight. You won't be left on your own. They feed you meals of immeasurable quality and quanity. Clean rooms upon your return from an awesome reef found nowhere else in the Word, dive gear if your "just been serviced" fails, and as much time as you want to relax, unwind,decompress and read that next chapter if you can stay awake! We booked our next dive trip before we left and can't wait for another week next year with our "buddies" at Pirates Point!!!
Dennis the Menace/NC

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dennis C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We finally found the paradise we have been looking for! Pirates Point is the remotely beautiful island resort that we have always seen on postcards and brochures, but always ended up with loud and crowded mainstream places. So if you like incredibly delicious, freshly prepared meals by chefs, a fantastic & safe diving experience, quiet pristine beaches with snorkeling and hammocks, AND an awesome, accomodating staff that knows your name, then look no further! We can't imagine going anywhere else!
John & Brett Ager
Charlotte, NC

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank WeLove2Dive
Etna, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I'll begin by saying we have already booked our stay for next April! We have been diving in many spots around the Caribbean, plus Hawaii, but nothing compares with Pirates' Point. Beautiful, friendly, relaxing, with a very sane dive schedule. It is a 20-bed resort on the beach with off-the-chart gourmet meals, airy, roomy accommodations, and an off-the-chart professional dive operation. What makes it very special are the people - friendly, warm staff who cannot do enough for you while you're there and remember you with smiles and hugs when you return. Jeff and Dianne in the kitchen never fail to ask what dietary needs anyone has, and they cook to please! They uphold the amazing menus and recipes started by founder Gladys Howard, who studied at the Courdon Bleu with Julia Child. The dive masters are also running the dining room and the dive shop and the office. They are each uniquely involved in island life and more than willing to share their knowledge. For example, Mike is a resident expert on Iguanas, and he is more than happy to give folks a tour of iguana sites and talk about what Little Cayman is doing to protect this endangered species. Since there are only 20 beds at Pirates' Point, you can get to know the other vacationers well. And by now, having enjoyed 5 vacations there, we have lots of good dive friends, some of whom like to come back when we do. The smallness also means small dive groups of 6 or 8 people. Most are knowledgeable and quite experienced, so the sightings, sharings, and learning opportunities are very rich, and almost everyone is exceptionally careful with the reef. This year we saw wonderful juvenile activity, which gives you hope for the reef's health. Jawfish with eggs in mouth, a tiny juvenile spotted drum that looked like a piece of flotsam at first, a pair of courting groupers caressing and kissing, and much, much more. On one ascent to the boat we came through a school of red squid. Importantly, we saw our dive masters guiding groupers (with their hands) to places where lion fish were lurking, so the groupers could catch and eat them. This is a big step from last year, when the dive masters captured the lion fish, stunned or killed them, and then released them to waiting groupers. Progress! Caymanians are also finding that lion fish is tasty, grilled or in sushi. Which brings me back to the gourmet food. So many fresh and delicious salads, I always come home with great ideas for our summer menus. Grilled fish, chicken, steak, pork, and for those who are conscious about anti-oxidants and such, the berries and nuts and whole grains and dark green leafy's and in abundance. Happy to say I ate without fear and came home having not gained a pound. Maybe that was due to those afternoon bike rides not to be missed. Sharing of diving pix after dinner, and of course the traditional Mexican Train dominoes game add to the sense of community. The only thing missing this year was wonderful Gladys Howard, founder of the resort, who was off the island for a bit. We hope she's there next April!! Here's a shout out to all those good folks at Pirates' Point, and if you are reading this and haven't been there yet, you need to hasten to their website at once and sign up!! You'll be so glad you did! If you are contemplating a dive on Little Cayman because of their famous Bloody Bay Wall, Pirates' Point is hands down the best resort on the island.

Room Tip: We like the cabanas on the beach side because we are starved for salt air off the incoming surf, liv...
3 Thank Kathy C
Alto, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We just returned from our third dive trip to Pirates Point Resort. This is just a terrific place to dive and also dine. The island is small at about 10 miles x 1 mile, with only a few resorts. Things we love most about Pirates Point: (1) The small staff of very friendly and helpful folks who really get to know you and put themselves on the line every minute to make sure the guests have a great experience. Each one has been on the job for several years, up to 29 years for Gay and Ed. The five divemasters are all good at finding the unusual and unique fish and critters on the reef, and truly enjoy diving themselves, it's obvious. Very helpful at getting everyone into and out of the water, too. (2) The gourmet food prepared by two talented chefs, Jeff and Diane. Wow, keep putting more weight in the BCD. Three meals a day, starting with something like eggs benedict for breakfast, homemade cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes, mango pancakes; followed by a lunch of pork loin, or something else equally delicious, and the dinners, always top notch, steaks, BBQ, Mexican food, grilled fish, wonderful salads and vegetables, and always a homemade dessert done in five-star restaurant style. (3) The small number of rooms - ten or so total, which leads to a homey atmosphere, guests get to be friends during the week, open bar is part of the dive package. (4) Not least of all, the diving, because that is really why we go to Little Cayman. The Bloody Bay Wall has some of the most huge barrel sponges and coral formations, with abundant fish life. While we were there in April, we really saw a lot of juveniles of all our favorite fish, the long-snout butterflies, sharp nosed puffers, banded butterflies, trumpetfish.....no current, easy diving in groups of no more than six or eight. Also saw jawfish in the sand with eggs in the mouth, sand tile fish, flounders, southern rays, many, many turtles, and an occasional shark passing by. All the dive sites in Little Cayman are in good shape due to rotating them out of use occasionally and the mooring ball system in place on the island. Due to some fluctuating weather we dove both the north and south side sites and all were well worth diving. Not for the five dive a day Rambo diver here. They offer two dives each day, in the boat at 9 AM, doing the first deep dive by 9:30, your computer and air are your own limit, surface interval on the hook and then back in water for second dive around noon, again dive your own limit, then back to resort for a late lunch and gear rinse, then nap, bike ride, pool, walk around the island, clean up for happy hour and dinner, what a vacation! The only thing missing this trip was owner Gladys Howard, off island for a little while. She is a HOOT! and we missed her a bunch. The evening domino game was still fun but just not quite the same. "Coffee in the bar - it's decaf!" Will we go back? You bet, already looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are non A/C but cool enough with the ocean breezes. They do have some rooms that...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AltoNMDivers
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We have had six visits and just booked our 7th!

Small groups, great, gourmet food, and super diving and divemasters!

Room Tip: Quite a variety to chose from, open on the water, rooms a little further back smaller but with AC...
1 Thank 660DavidC
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!