Pirates Point Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Little Cayman
See available hotels
Paradise Villas(Little Cayman)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Southern Cross Club(Little Cayman)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Le Soleil d'Or(Cayman Brac)
View Hotel
All reviewsdive boatmexican traingreat divinggreat foodother guestssushibloody bay wallgrand caymanevery mealyear after yearair consumptionlaid backdive stafffamily atmospherenew friendsrepeat customersinteresting people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We just returned home from Pirates Point Resort in Little Cayman & I am having trouble finding the appropriate words to express how amazing this place is. First, the island itself is small, slightly remote & full of beauty. PPR is equally small, remote & beautiful with so much to offer.

The resort is great-the rooms are very clean & welcoming in traditional island theme. Several have AC however we opted for the ocean front rooms without AC & loved the cool (& pretty constant) breeze, not to mention falling asleep & waking up to the peaceful sound of the ocean rolling just a few yards away...it was heaven! Several hammocks about the beach area make for great napping & reading space while the pool & hot tub offer a refreshing dip with the best views of the clear blue water, swaying palms & beautiful sea birds flying by.

The dining area offers the most wonderful food my mouth has ever tasted, every meal...seriously EVERY meal was spectacular!

I found the heart of this resort not to be on the grounds, but rather in the staff itself. You will never find a finer, more committed, or happier staff anywhere. I mean that. These folks LOVE to work for PPR. It is a tight knit, small group of great people that are dedicated to making you comfortable, happy, & down right feel at home.

The diving far surpases any other I have done. I had a diving accident a few years ago & was a bit hesitant to get my fins wet again, even after a refresher course I took shorlty before I left for PPR. I must be honest here, I really thought I would leave the diving up to my hubby & just relax on the boat or one of those fantastic hammocks I spoke of previously. Dive Master Michelle pulled me aside, took TIME to discuss what had happend in my accident & she/we came up with a plan. Michelle, and the entire dive staff, really took their time with me & made me feel so comfortable that I ended up diving SEVEN times! After my first dive, I came up on the boat and compared the diversity, topography & marine life to Disney World. This place has EVERYTHING & never dissapointed us once. AMAZING.

The Staff: They really aren't staff. More like stewards to this special little slice of heaven. Their love of what they do, how they operate as a team at PPR, and their individual contrabutions & talents make for one top notch crew. I have the greatest respect for how they function as a whole & this is evident in how they provide for their guests. Gladys, Gay, Michelle, Bob, Mike, Ed, Diane, Jeff & Martha cheers & a big thank you to each of you!

So, if you are looking for a 'one-of-a-kind' paradise on so many levels I suggest Pirates Point Resort. We hope to return soon!!!!!!

Jessica Smith
Austin, Texas USA

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaPSmith
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Pirates Point Resort is a wonderful place to go for a diving vacation. Pirates Point is staffed by people that make you feel more like family than a customer and go way beyond the expected to make sure you are being well looked after all the time. The food is great - in fact I would like to go back for a part diving and part cooking lesson trip sometime. The diving on Little Cayman is without a doubt very good with excellent reef s and abundant life - Bloody Bay Wall is excellent and is truly filled with all kinds of critters. I have been to a good many places on dive vacations and this is definitely a place that I will be going back for more diving and relaxing. The dive crew is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever experienced. They are so helpful above and below the water. They also let you do your own thing with no strict bottom time limits and just ask that you dive your computer. I will definitely be going back....soon.

It would be unfair to single out a single staff member as they are all great and are what makes the resort so wonderful. I would thank Gay for working with me to drop several pounds of weights needed for diving.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CMJ49
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was our fourth trip to Pirates Point, and that in itself is a huge deal. We have been diving all over the world for many years, and this is the only place we have been to more than once. The staff: Gracious Gay the Divemaster Guru (who always finds a seahorse); Mysterious Michelle; Mike "da man" - too cool; Martha (who loves to fly over the Wall); Bob ("stay with your buddy even if you are in 15 feet under the boat!"); the chefs Dazzling Dianne and Jeff the Joker ("okay, it's hot dogs tonight - do you want wheat or white buns?" ) and of course Everready Bunny Ed who keeps everything mechanical running. Gladys the owner is of course simply a legend.
All kidding aside, these eight people are what makes Pirate's Point run like a well oiled machine. This is a wonderful, laid back place where you can do two long dives and eat incredibly prepared food. Wonderful service is what the whole place is about. If you so choose, a dive master will be with you on every dive, pointing out all the little critters that are so hard to find. I think what makes PPR the gold standard is the professionalism and kindness of the staff. They are patient with novice divers and have helpful advice for experienced divers.
Oh, did I mention the food? There are 3 simple reason why we continue to return to Pirate's Point: the cuisine, the staff and the diving. We are talking a gourmet extravaganza here - for all three meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So if you want to visit a unique, intimate little place where you get to know your fellow divers and want to enjoy a laid back dive trip - this is the place. We already have our reservations for 2014!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa N
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We have just completed our seventh trip to Pirates Point and are already making plans to return next year. What brings us back, year after year? Little Cayman still has that relaxing, laid back, non-commercial feeling that has become a rare commodity in the Caribbean.

We return, year after year, because of:
- unspoiled dive sites
- delicious food (and lots of it)
- the opportunity to meet congenial divers from all over who share our passion for diving in a relaxed and informal setting; and
- a friendly, caring, accomplished team of staff members who we are proud to call friends.

I've written other reviews about Pirates Point that have praised the diving and food, but I want this review to focus on the people who make Pirates Point special.

Gladys Howard, the owner, was unfortunately not on the island during our stay and was sorely missed. Gladys is a larger than life Texan who is the gracious host at most meals and a fierce competitor at the nightly domino games. Even though Gladys was absent this year, the Friday night tradition of champagne and lion fish sushi continued at her lovely beachfront home.

Our fabulous dive masters (Gay, Michelle, Martha, Mike and Bob) each have a unique personality and style both under the water and on land. They are all extremely safety conscious, and strive to make all of their guests better divers. They choose dive sites based on water, wind, and current conditions and in a week of diving, we rarely visited the same sites twice (unless we asked for them!) We had outstanding dives at Meadows, Cumbers Cave, Cocoanut Walk, Nancy's Cup of Tea, Annie's Attic, and Mixing Bowl this year with turtles, eagle rays, barracuda, and sharks providing the drama. We also saw a large variety of grouper, snapper, pipe horses, flamingo tongues, tunicates, grunts, wrasses, trunkfish, trumpet fish, file fish, hamlets, parrot fish, angel fish, and tons of juveniles. In fact, the aquatic population of the reef has increased exponentially now that the Little Cayman divemasters all get together for a weekly lion fish cull. As a result, we saw far fewer lion fish this year than we have in the past four years.

All of the dive masters are also instructors and our son Nick and I have both received our advanced certification here in prior years. Their extra help makes it possible for me to dive safely (with hip and back issues) and they work hard to accomodate guests and make every dive trip fun.

Jeff and Diane do a masterful job in the kitchen, and are always trying to make sure that as a non-meat eater that I am still able to get my fill at every meal. When they are not diving, the dive masters all share the work of serving meals, pouring drinks, helping in the kitchen, running the office, fixing equipment, cleaning rooms, and making sure that Pirates Point runs like a well-oiled machine. These people truly love what they are doing and are among the most dedicated, service-oriented professions we've seen in 25 years of diving.

No wonder we are already eagerly anticipating our return trip in 2014!

Room Tip: Lots of guests like the air conditioned rooms, but we prefer the oceanfront rooms without AC.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nancyolah
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We got back last weekend from our second trip to Pirate's Point. We have decided that it was the best dive trip we have ever taken. We have been diving for 12 years, and take 2-3 trips year, mostly in the Caribbean. The week was certainly helped by perfect weather, but aside from that (and see my previous review from a winter trip when the weather was not perfect) the people at Pirate's Point made this a true week in paradise. The dives were long (75 minute average) and beautiful, the food was FANTASTIC (can't understand how anyone could think negatively about it) and the rooms are clean and inviting. Hammocks abound---nice hammocks that don't drag in the sand. By good luck, all the other divers were interesting and companionable people who were fun to be around.
Pirate's Point is part of the Little Cayman's commitment to maintaining the health of the coral reef. They will ask you to be the best diver you can be so that you don't clang around on the reef. If they see you crashing your camera into the coral they are going to bring it to your attention. I wish every resort would take this stance. The guidelines and responsibilities are made clear at the beginning so there are no surprises.
In another review someone groused about having to set up one's own gear. What kind of diver are you? I confess I do take advantage when a resort sets up my gear for me but I do not mind setting it up myself; it reinforces the diving dogma that you are responsible for your own safety. In Roatan and Maui I have had people botch my gear set-up. The Pirate's Point staff will do anything special that you ask of them so if you have a legitimate reason why you can't do your own gear, they'll help.
The divemasters at PP are experienced and highly skilled. I felt totally relaxed on these dives because I knew they knew where they were taking us. In Cozumel we've entered deco diving; in Cayos Cochinos, "divemasters" had just been certified. Sheesh. I loved diving with Gay, Bob, Michele, Mike and Martha. (Bob took us on a night shore dive at the end of a long day---tons of extra work for him---we really appreciated it.)
THE FOOD IS FABULOUS. I don't eat breakfast b/c of seasickness, but the lunches and dinners were simply wonderful. They are creative and bounteous and lovely to look at. Somebody groused about getting too much chicken---that must have been what came in on the barge the week they were there. But Pirate's Point can make chicken FABULOUS. We had mahi and yahoo, steak, lobster, tuna, pork---and once, chicken. Then there is sushi night on Friday---be sure you book a Friday. There's always wine with dinner. The beer cooler is open from 1-10, as is the liquor cabinet.
We really don't know how anybody could dis the place. If you want night-clubbing, you'll be disappointed. There's diving, eating, swimming, snorkeling, and biking/scootering. Plus a visit to the iguana house; see Mike, the resident herpetologist.

Umm, below, I shouldn't have checked Room Service; there is no room service. I was thinking maid service.

Room Tip: The oceanfront cabanas are prettier and you get the ocean breeze, but they do not have A/C. We will always choose the oceanfront, but you might want to ask for another fan. Bring earplugs for the fans. Unless you want to hear the waves. Ask for 5A, B, or C; D is a little stuffier due to landscaping.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple