“Excellent Safe Diving, Friendly Staff and Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pirates Point Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
Lebanon, New Jersey
“Excellent Safe Diving, Friendly Staff and Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Contrary to another review we found the food excellent. There were no repeat meals and if someone wanted something different the Chefs Jeff or Diane were more than willing to oblige. My wife only drinks decaf and they made a special pot for her each morning. Some people will say it is regemented, but with two long dives each day, fresh meals have to be scheduled or they would not be as good as they are. This is our 5th time and our friends the 2nd time and we all really enjoyed our stay. Yes, Ed is quiet, but does so much around the property! To us, it is like coming home as the staff are the same, year after year, and remember returning guests.

What is important is the dive safety. The dive instructors (all are Certified) ensure that each guest dives within the limits of their capability from newly certified to experienced divers. No dive instructor takes more than 8 people on each dive. The dive boat has all the necessary safety and emergency equipment plus they have a spare regulator that is lowered to 15 feet below the boat just in case someone needs more air to complete their safety stop.

On every trip we always see something new that makes the diving special besides the water with 100ft plus visibility.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bob_mason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We just experienced our first trip to Pirates Point Resort and couldn't be more pleased. Every day started with a wakeup from the ocean breezes followed by a amazing breakfast spread with Chef Diana on vocals from the kitchen. The diving on Bloody Bay Wall was truly world class, and the divemasters were attentive and fun to dive with. Lunch and dinner were broken up with napping in the hammocks, iguana tours, or bike rides around the island. Each dinner was a delight with Chef Jeff preparing five star dishes each night. The highlight of our week was champagne and sushi (Lionfish) at the host's personal home on the resort followed by sushi grade tuna lightly seared for the main course. All in all the food and diving cannot be beat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank skicon2
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

If you're looking for outstanding diving, gormet meals, and world-class relaxation, then this is the place for you. The SCUBA diving is the Caribbean's best. The staff is professional and helpful. Quite possibly the best vacation I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pete Y
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have just returned from another fantastic trip to Pirates Point Resort on Little Cayman Island ... for the FORTH time!! I absolutely love this place ... the slow pace, the same familiar faces of the incredible staff who are there year-after-year, the food that is indescribable (and yes, you will gain weight!) and diving that's out of this world! All of the staff has been working at this resort for many years, and most of them wear several different hats. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was met by smiling and happy staff members - each one remembering me from past trips and greeting me as if I was family - not as an unknown guest. There were lots of hugs as I ran into each of the amazing staff. I love this resort because of it's small size ... this gives me the feeling of "home" and it allows each of the guests to get to know each other - new friends are formed every single time I visit! I love the way all of the guests eat together and are summoned to the dining area by the 'gong' of a mallet being hit against an old scuba tank. Each and every meal is an experience in itself! There is ample food, good variety, and superb presentation. The dining area is set up with the expectation of royalty coming to dine. When it's time to head out to dive for the day, all the divers meet at the front of the resort with their dive bags ready and everyone rides a short ride to the dive boat in very nice, air conditioned vans. The tanks are already on board and our dive bags are moved to the boat and loaded for us. We set up our equipment prior to leaving the dock and can sit back to enjoy the short ride to the dive sites. The dive boat is amazing and totally set up for diving. Getting into the water is a breeze, with the dive staff assisting us from where our gear is located to the edge of the flat decked boat. It simply doesn't get any easier than this!! As soon as I entered the water for each dive I would immediately feel happy and without a care in the world. The diving here is the best I've seen anywhere (and I've dived a LOT over the many years) - this place is the BEST!! The walls are totally breathtaking, the visibility is excellent, the dive staff is incredibly knowledgeable and give us ideas of what to keep our eyes open to see, AND, they are continually pointing things out to us along our dives. The dive masters are very attentive to each diver and will give you as much help as you want or as little as you desire. I generally hang fairly close to them because they do know how and where to find a lot of hidden treasures and are quick to point them out. The diving is set up so that I can make two long dives during the morning - 70 to 80 minutes per dive - and we generally got back to the resort around 2:30. By then it would be lunch time, time to shower and enjoy the many hammocks, the sound of the rolling ocean waves, the squawking of the local birds and a time to completely relax. Some folks took advantage of the bicycles available for exploring this tiny island, there are scooters & cars that can be rented, a guided information tour is available to learn about the iguanas on this island, and for those who wish to snorkel you can do that right in front of the resort. There is also time to visit prior to dinner with the other guests during the happy hour, and after dinner there was often a friendly game of Mexican Train Dominoes being played by Gladys (the owner) and the guests. The evening would wrap up around 10:00 pm and folks would sit around on the patio to visit, tell stories and enjoy the cool evening breezes. This place is AMAZING and I would highly recommend it to any level diver - new or old - you'll fall in love with Pirates Point Resort. Gay & Ed have been here for the past 25 years and have a second sense as to what the guests need and can almost see them before you know you need anything. Ed has the dive boat in place and ready every morning and Gay is a buoyancy expert who will help you get the right amount of weight for your dives. She's also aware of where the seahorses live & will find them for you! Martha, Michelle, Mike and Bob do such an amazing job of briefing the divers prior to the dives and leading each dive in their own special ways. They also tell wonderful stories during the time between dives. Dianne and Jeff are the master minds in the kitchen and trust me ... you 'want' for nothing when you see the amazing spreads they prepare! As you can tell, I love this place and simply cannot say enough about the operation and it's staff! Pirates Point is TOP NOTCH!! Stephanie Scott

Room Tip: Most rooms have air conditioning, some are cooled by the ocean breeze. If you like the sound of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank StephanieScott
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We just returned home from Pirates Point Resort in Little Cayman & I am having trouble finding the appropriate words to express how amazing this place is. First, the island itself is small, slightly remote & full of beauty. PPR is equally small, remote & beautiful with so much to offer.

The resort is great-the rooms are very clean & welcoming in traditional island theme. Several have AC however we opted for the ocean front rooms without AC & loved the cool (& pretty constant) breeze, not to mention falling asleep & waking up to the peaceful sound of the ocean rolling just a few yards away...it was heaven! Several hammocks about the beach area make for great napping & reading space while the pool & hot tub offer a refreshing dip with the best views of the clear blue water, swaying palms & beautiful sea birds flying by.

The dining area offers the most wonderful food my mouth has ever tasted, every meal...seriously EVERY meal was spectacular!

I found the heart of this resort not to be on the grounds, but rather in the staff itself. You will never find a finer, more committed, or happier staff anywhere. I mean that. These folks LOVE to work for PPR. It is a tight knit, small group of great people that are dedicated to making you comfortable, happy, & down right feel at home.

The diving far surpases any other I have done. I had a diving accident a few years ago & was a bit hesitant to get my fins wet again, even after a refresher course I took shorlty before I left for PPR. I must be honest here, I really thought I would leave the diving up to my hubby & just relax on the boat or one of those fantastic hammocks I spoke of previously. Dive Master Michelle pulled me aside, took TIME to discuss what had happend in my accident & she/we came up with a plan. Michelle, and the entire dive staff, really took their time with me & made me feel so comfortable that I ended up diving SEVEN times! After my first dive, I came up on the boat and compared the diversity, topography & marine life to Disney World. This place has EVERYTHING & never dissapointed us once. AMAZING.

The Staff: They really aren't staff. More like stewards to this special little slice of heaven. Their love of what they do, how they operate as a team at PPR, and their individual contrabutions & talents make for one top notch crew. I have the greatest respect for how they function as a whole & this is evident in how they provide for their guests. Gladys, Gay, Michelle, Bob, Mike, Ed, Diane, Jeff & Martha cheers & a big thank you to each of you!

So, if you are looking for a 'one-of-a-kind' paradise on so many levels I suggest Pirates Point Resort. We hope to return soon!!!!!!

Jessica Smith
Austin, Texas USA

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessicaPSmith
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Pirates Point Resort is a wonderful place to go for a diving vacation. Pirates Point is staffed by people that make you feel more like family than a customer and go way beyond the expected to make sure you are being well looked after all the time. The food is great - in fact I would like to go back for a part diving and part cooking lesson trip sometime. The diving on Little Cayman is without a doubt very good with excellent reef s and abundant life - Bloody Bay Wall is excellent and is truly filled with all kinds of critters. I have been to a good many places on dive vacations and this is definitely a place that I will be going back for more diving and relaxing. The dive crew is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever experienced. They are so helpful above and below the water. They also let you do your own thing with no strict bottom time limits and just ask that you dive your computer. I will definitely be going back....soon.

It would be unfair to single out a single staff member as they are all great and are what makes the resort so wonderful. I would thank Gay for working with me to drop several pounds of weights needed for diving.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CMJ49
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was our fourth trip to Pirates Point, and that in itself is a huge deal. We have been diving all over the world for many years, and this is the only place we have been to more than once. The staff: Gracious Gay the Divemaster Guru (who always finds a seahorse); Mysterious Michelle; Mike "da man" - too cool; Martha (who loves to fly over the Wall); Bob ("stay with your buddy even if you are in 15 feet under the boat!"); the chefs Dazzling Dianne and Jeff the Joker ("okay, it's hot dogs tonight - do you want wheat or white buns?" ) and of course Everready Bunny Ed who keeps everything mechanical running. Gladys the owner is of course simply a legend.
All kidding aside, these eight people are what makes Pirate's Point run like a well oiled machine. This is a wonderful, laid back place where you can do two long dives and eat incredibly prepared food. Wonderful service is what the whole place is about. If you so choose, a dive master will be with you on every dive, pointing out all the little critters that are so hard to find. I think what makes PPR the gold standard is the professionalism and kindness of the staff. They are patient with novice divers and have helpful advice for experienced divers.
Oh, did I mention the food? There are 3 simple reason why we continue to return to Pirate's Point: the cuisine, the staff and the diving. We are talking a gourmet extravaganza here - for all three meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So if you want to visit a unique, intimate little place where you get to know your fellow divers and want to enjoy a laid back dive trip - this is the place. We already have our reservations for 2014!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!