“One of the Best, EVAH!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Little Cayman
NY, NY
“One of the Best, EVAH!”
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We were booked on recommendations of friends and really could not of been happier. EVERYONE works so smoothly and with a dedication that is rare to see these days. We stayed down the road and ate at a couple of other places prior to settling at PP and nothing really compares. We did a resort course dive and LOVED it. Everyone from Martha to Mike to Gay to Ed to John to Jeff and Diane in the kitchen and, of course, Gladys Howard, all made us feel so at home, really at home, like a home. Other guests were all multi year repeat visitors. I've been around and nothing really felt as nice or real. I am shocked that it is rated 4th given it's first rate service, warmth and friendliness. The total package makes it great and the food is simply the best you will find on Little Cayman. Worth booking and staying, 4 sure. Like I said, Best EVAH!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank t_dawgNy_Ny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We were looking for a dive resort in the Caribbean, and through the web I found out about Bloody Bay Wall and Little Cayman Island. A bit of research later, we came upon Pirates Point Resort. Having never been to the Caymans, we chose Pirates Point because:
- timely and complete responses to my emails
- easy access - 25 minute flight from Grand Cayman
- small, bungalow on the beach style accommodation rather than hotel
- dive boat looked good and functional
- boasted gourmet meals
- tour/group diving and/or buddy diving

I’ll be going back because:
- the deserted island appeal: Little Cayman has only a couple of hundred people, no traffic, no cruise ships, no tourist amenities. People come there for R&R and diving, and they bring that wonderful laid back attitude with them. A bonus that I had never experienced at a resort is the absolute security. Locks on doors are just not used (no keys anyway), leave your valuables out in the room, on the beach, in the bar… no problem. It’ll all be there when you get back or someone will track you down to return it! Refreshing!
- the food! Jeff (the Chef) and team are masters at their work. Not kidding… seafood that will rival the best in Vancouver, roasts that you can cut with a fork, soups, salads, fruit, specialty meals as required (for vegetarians or allergies), desserts to die for even though you “can’t possibly eat anymore”… well OK… just a bite…
- the diving! In some spots Bloody Bay Wall has a sheer drop to 6,000 feet – straight down! It is truly an awesome sight when you do your safety stop under the boat with the wall 40’ away and amazing vis. Giant lobster, reef sharks, turtles, nudibranchs, pristine corals… the marine park has a no touch/no glove policy. Add good divers who respect that into the mix and you keep a pristine reef. As your dive is finishing, you go back over the reef on to the sandy area to spot sea horses (alas… they eluded me), huge green moray eels, small spotted ones, rays gliding along with their buddies or sitting on the bottom with just their eyes showing… I could go on and on. If you’re better than your buddy on air, buddy up with someone staying down and watch your buddy go up to the boat (tons of vis)… then off to explore with your new buddies. Highlights for me were the reef shark gliding towards us along the Wall, 4 octopus on our night dive and the Flying Gurnard sitting on the sand near shore. The latter is a rare find for the area, and all of us were thrilled to see it!
- The dive staff! Knowledgeable dive masters and instructors who will take you on an underwater field expedition. They spot things down there that I wouldn’t, and seem never to lose their enthusiasm for diving, the creatures and the environment. On top of that, they take very good care of the guests both on and off the boat.
- The All Inclusive Dive Package… It’s just worry free, and it makes you feel at home. Help yourself at the bar to the wine, beer, pop, juices, cocktails.
- The evenings: Happy Hour starts at 6:30 with cocktails and hors d'ouvres, then on to dinner at 7:30. Spending time with a great group of like minded people, many of whom return year after year. Often going over the library of critter books to figure out “what was that thing?” Underwater photographers would bring along their pictures of the day… just got us excited about jumping back into the water the next day! After dinner, it was “Coffee in the Bar!” announced by Gladys our hostess. Decaf was always served, but I have to admit that I would usually continue with a good wine or a wee dram and Gladys made a mean Margarita! Gladys is a big fan of Mexican Dominos, but beware… her kind and friendly nature masks a ruthless and devious domino player ;-)

We had an absolutely wonderful week, and it was really hard to leave. In fact we extended our stay by 2 days instead of finishing off our trip on Grand Cayman. “Grand” style locations can be done any time – like Mazatlan, Cancun… beautiful beaches, resorts, hotels and amenities, along with traffic, cruise ships and crowds. Nope… prefer Little Cayman where the R&R in the hammocks or by the pool is truly R&R, security is a non-issue, the meals are awesome, diving is spectacular and the place really feels like home in no time flat.

Highly recommended! I’ll be back!

2 Thank ColdWaterNoMore
Minneapolis
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Great spot for relaxation and diving. Very quiet on a remote island but very comfortable. Service staff are fantastic and the food is beyond what you would be served in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moxieminneapolis
Minnesota
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We have been visiting Pirates Point for about 10 years now and Gladys and the crew truly feel like family. What started as a novice divers' first trip, has evolved into an annual family reunion. Now each of the adult children and their partners are scuba certified and join us every January.

This is an ideal resort if you are looking for peace, superb diving, excellent food and a relaxed schedule. The accommodations are comfortable, there are plenty of shaded hammocks and for those with energy following their morning dives, there are a number bikes available for island touring. Our favorite pass-time when not diving or eating is reading. Actually I should say we intend to read, but it is almost impossible to read more than a page before the hammock and ocean breezes lull you to sleep.

We especially enjoy the relaxed schedule that allows you to sleep in a bit and eat breakfast before heading out for diving. The dive boat is well organized and the crew provides a good site briefing. They are excellent at finding and showing unusual critters. And while most of the guest divers are experienced, the crew is happy to provide tips and assistance to those who are interested.

I should add that this is a perfect resort for someone who wishes to complete their certification. The students were on the boat with everyone, but had their own dive master and were never a hinderance to the experienced group.

PPR is known for excellent food and we agree. It is fresh and flavorful with a healthy mix of fruits, vegies, breads, fish and meats. OK, so maybe the desserts don't qualify as "healthy", but they are a well deserved treat after a day of hard work in the hammock.

But I have to admit that PPR is NOT for everyone. If you are looking for a party and lively night life, look elsewhere. If you want to dive 5 times a day, look elsewhere. If you require room service or bar tenders to mix you a drink or pool staff to bring you a towel, check out one of the major resorts on Grand Cayman.

Thankfully, Pirates Point is more like visiting a good friend's hidden retreat than a 5 star hotel. And that is exactly why so many of us return year after year!

• Liked — Great diving. Beautiful location with no crowds. Good food. Perfect for relaxation.
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GoldieBug
central PA
Reviewed 2 November 2008

My husband and I are repeat visitors at Pirates' Point. It is a very special place with a very special feeling. The staff are outstanding: knowledgeable, friendly, kind, efficient, and accommodating. Gladys Howard is a larger-than-life Texan character, superb cook, raconteur, and hostess. This is not your standard luxury hotel with staff who hardly look at you, says "yes, ma'am" and "no ma'am" in a quiet voice, and perhaps wish you weren't there to cause them trouble. This is a house party: a little quirky (check out the fantastic art projects done by guests each year!), very comfortable, homey, welcoming, with lovely food for any taste. What I most enjoyed about PPR is that the staff and the guests have FUN. Laughter seems to be the theme song of this place. I've stayed all over the Caribbean but for my taste, PPR is the best. Oh -- and did I mention the reef? the Bloody Bay wall? The outstanding divemasters who know everything you are seeing and can tell you all about it? The bird sanctuaries? The endangered but wonderful iguanas? geckos? crabs?
If you want a nice, predictable, boring, synthetic chain hotel, go somewhere else. It you want a one-of-a-kind experience, come to Pirates' Point!

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Sn0rkeler
Ohio
Reviewed 2 May 2008

Unlike another review that I read, our arrival experience was very good. We were met at the airport by Michelle who did a great job of knowing what we needed at the time. She took us to our door, helped bring in our luggage,and told us short-term need to know information. Her emphasis was on relaxing after a day of travel. Throughout the week her professionalism shined from divemaster to assisting a seasick gentleman.
All of the staff work very hard performing multiple roles which we have seen at other resorts in the past 20 years of diving. Martha, Gay, Ash, Ed, Michelle, and the cooks are outstanding!
We have been to the Caymans including Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman at least 9 times. The diving is superb. The above mentioned staff are safety conscious and knowledgable. The boat is nice, snacks are provided, and it is well eqipped. However, we like smaller numbers of divers on the boat.
One of my friends who is a diver and always seeking new places to go asked me what I thought of the resort. I told him all that I have just written in this review. When he asked me if I would go back again, I felt myself hesitate to be enthusiastic. He picked up on my response and wondered why I felt that way if everything was so great. I think it is because as mentioned in another review, it is a bit like being at summer camp with many rules.
The owner even refers to the resort as " the compound."

Stayed April 2008
10 Thank nursefish
Modesto Ca
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Gladys Howard has created and staffed a really great resort. Pirate's Point may not appeal to you if your expectation of service is subservience. The staff is friendly,helpful and interested in you getting the most out of your time spent with them. The dive staff gives you as much or little attention that you desire. They helped me to increase my bottom time and reduce air consumption through observation and helpful suggestions. Divers were matched to groups with similar skill levels. The food was really great ,gormet fair combined with good wines and Gladys's down home touch. The accomadations are not "5 star' it is more like staying with friends at very cool place that know how to live well.

• Liked — food ,diving, staff and owner
  • Disliked — a little difficult to get there from calif had 3 layovers makeing for a very long day
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank animal2837
#2 of 3 in Cayman Brac
Sunset Cove
Sunset Cove
#1 of 1 in Little Cayman

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!