“Nice place, obnoxious non renting owner next door ruined our stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Conch Club Condominiums
North Chicago, Illinois
“Nice place, obnoxious non renting owner next door ruined our stay”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Just what I want , a 40 year old hippy dressed like Hiawatha playing a flute 16 hours a day with his kid accompanying him on tom toms. Can't sit outside without Hiawatha constantly in our head. After staying there for 6 years and loving it, can't stay anymore. He is an owner, so nothing can be done.

Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank decroft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed at CCC in November of 2009. As far as the unit itself, it was great. The staff placed a crib and high chair in the unit for our infant. The unit had plenty of space. The views are amazing. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Little Cayman Beach resort. The resort has a poolside bar where lunch and dinner can be purchased at affordable prices (about $10 an entree). They have drivers available to run you to and from the store or to take you to the other side of the island. The resort is also where both Reef Divers and Conch Club Divers dock. I mention it because I think a lot of people think it will be more convenient to dive with reef. However, Conch Club leaves from the same dock, but about 30 min earlier.

As far as Conch Club Divers go, I think Conch Club DMs (Dave and Ann) did a better job of interacting with different levels of divers without seeming condescending... They gave the better people more freedom, and the newer people "suggestions" without coming across wrong. They also did a better job of finding stuff, in our experience. When you are on the Conch Club boat, it really feels like you are just diving off a friend's boat, not paying for a charter.

As far as negatives, I have only two. The resort staff was great overall. However, we had one issue that was mishandled. And, in my opinion, we were price gouged over a trivial issue. Additionally, we were not impressed with Reef Divers. The captain, Sunny, is great. But, the other staff on the boat have some of that awesome "dive op attitude." If you know what I mean, you know what I mean! The best part, and I am not making this up, the Reef Divers boat (Holiday Diver) had a red velvet rope behind the leaning post on the bridge to seperate you from the captain. It is really tacky and I think it shows how they feel about the guests.

A few things that I would do differently if returning are:
1. Dive every day with Conch Club Divers- trust me. Book direct (not through reef fantaseas) with Conch Club Divers!
You can reach them at [--] or [--]
2. Definitely purchase alcohol at the Grand Cayman airport, it is a ripoff on island
3. If not traveling with small children, consider renting one of the private houses

Little Cayman is great and truly one of my favorite destinations ever.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank floridakiteboarder
California
Reviewed 31 March 2008

We met up with some friends that were staying at the Conch Club Condos. This is their preferred accommodations. The condos are nice, but that's all they are. They are clean and basic set in a fabulous and convenient location. But let's face it, this whole island is a fabulous location and you're never very far from a dive operation. The interior decor and furnishings are adequate, but man, that flash-back to the 80s pastel colors took some getting use to. The pool area was nice and there were plenty of hammocks to lounge available to rest your weary bone on after a day of diving. Depending on my needs, I might stay here again, but that is due largely to the Conch Club Divers. They are fantastic. Ann and Tim run one of the best dive operations I've ever had the pleasure of diving with.

How can you not have a wonderful time on this island?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Interior Decor
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Del_Perro
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 22 February 2008

We have stayed at the Conch Club before. We love the view - you can't beat the great location and the ocean right in front of the living room. If you are travelling with young children, it is great to be able to prepare and cook meals as and when you need to. The units are spacious, clean and comfortable. In the past, we have been fairly happy with the overall standard, but this time we booked a three bed unit which we had not stayed in before. The coffee maker didn't turn off and was a fire hazard. The sofa and arm chairs were quite literally patched up (and badly at that) which frankly made them look shabby. The carpets were stained and needed replacing. The pier hadn't been re-built following a storm and there were only two hammocks between too many units (usually there are six or more), which meant we only got to use them once during our four day stay. The view, of course, was magnificent as usual and Little Cayman can't be beaten for quality and location.

Suffice to say, the Club might be a preferred place to stay for next time (though more of a concrete jungle and not the same fantastic "on the ocean" feel).

Message to Little Cayman Beach Resort (who manage the Conch Club) and/or owners of the units - a little money would go a long way to up-grading these great places.

Little Cayman Beach Resort staff need to improve their attitudes towards visitors too. My husband tried to rent a kayak (yes, they don't come for free any more) and was told he had to sign a waiver and he couldn't keep it for the duration of our stay (in spite of the trek between the Conch Club and Little Cayman Beach Resort). We tripped over to the Southern Cross Club and the manager couldn't have been more helpful letting us use their equipment instead(they don't charge their guests).

Finally, please do something about the sugar ants. It isn't difficult to control them, but every single time we have stayed there we have had ants in everything. Not a big deal, but also easy to DEAL with.

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank JanJanVanMan
Cayman Islands
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I see what the other reviews are saying but I had a somewhat different experience. Firstly we booked a three bedroom condo and only got a two... it then took 4 hours to prepare the three bedroom place. Not a good start. Secondly... did any of you guys see the furnishings in those places!!! Seriously - it looked like something out of the Golden Girls from circa 1981. Come on guys spend a bit of cash on the place and do it up - times and tastes have changed. Finally a warning about the mosquitos would have been nice... I was bitten to death. I live on Grand Cayman so no what to expect but those things were brutal. Apart from that Little Cayman is a idylic get away and love the "airport".

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank MottyCaymanIslands
Duluth, Ga
Reviewed 12 August 2006

This place is unbelievable! Whever I go diving I really like to stay in a condo so that I have more room for all the "stuff" We were in a two bedroom condo that would easily sleep two couples. There was also a sofa bed, if needed. (Condo #9)
The condo was very clean, and was supplied with soaps, lotions, beach towels, dishwasher soap, and coffee. We did not need a thing except for snacks - which can be taken care of at the small store that is only a short bike ride away.
We dove with Reef Divers and I have not experienced a better operation. They are on site. They came to pick up our gear the first day, and it was the lazy man's diving from there on out. The boat crew changes everything for you after you set it up once. We got 9 dives in and not one was bad. (Adrienne and Christophe were awesome captains! Viki, in the shop was a delight to deal with)
If you like big buffets three times a day, you will love their food. Personally, I find it too much. We ate lunch there between dives, and had one breakfast and one dinner. All were very good.
A short walk down the beach will bring you to Southern Cross where there is bar food at a reasonable price. I hope that the Conch Club will follow in their lead and offer something besides the buffets.
Little Cayman is not easy to get to - but once your there, you will not want to leave!!!

• Liked — Diving with Reef Divers
  • Disliked — Limited to buffets for meals
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring snacks - water is safe to drink there
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
9 Thank Mamamerk
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2006

LC is quiet and polite. Everyone - locals and visitors - want it to stay that way. They are *serious* about wildlife preservation and limiting development. Birding will be your new hobby - bring binoculars. Iguanas are your new friends.

Everything is relative, and to me, this is the most awesome place on earth and i've traveled a lot. There is nothing to do but go diving or fishing, read, explore beaches that u ride your bikes to, read, watch tv, sit and watch the ocean and the lizards... ah.

People r there to get away from it all, including other people, so people won't try to make friends with you and bother you. Everyone is oh so waspy polite of course tho. (The only place ppl seemed overly friendly was at Pirates Point Resort. If you are traveling alone or want to socialize, go there. Everyone on the island knows the owner too. Its nice for a break from the seclusion.)

We were there in Feb. and they had a mardi gras parade. It was cute - each business made a "float" and a lot of visitors got involved too. I think there were more ppl in the parade than there were watching it. Because its so small, even being there for a week you start to pick up the island gossip. Its a small town - there is one policeman, 4 kids attend the local school. The visitors i met were return visitors too. No crime (I left my bike unlocked at the car rental place for 2 days and it was in the same place when i returned the rental car), small town - it really is another world. I feel like i'm breaking some unspoken rule that one should not tell other people how wonderful LC is lest it become too popular and lose its quiet and charm. Maybe i'll b blacklisted from the island. Hmm maybe i shouldn't post this.

Food: when we arrived on GC we took a taxi to the big grocery store (Foster's IGA, Phone: 949-5155) and wine shop near the airport before getting the little plane to LC. Foster's has everything a typical US store would have including soy products, health food, and thai and indian mixes. You should buy as much as you can on GC because the grocery store on LC is small and expensive (more than NYC prices), altho they have soy milk too. Produce is brought to LC every week (providing the delivery barge can dock; i was told that there are times when the seas are rough and the barge can't dock) and fresh produce is hard to come by at the end of the week.

We later learned that you can fax an order to Fosters store and they will deliver it to the airport on LC or something like that.

Dinner at LCBR is $40USD and didn't look appealing so we didn't even try it. I heard from many ppl that Pirate's Point meals are excellent and worth whatever they were (i forget). I'll try PP food next time. There is one restaurant on the island not associated with a resort, The Hungry Iguana. It like NYC prices and we didn't get around to trying it. Next time.

Snorkeling: Snorkeling is best on the north east side of the island. The best is actually a shallow dive site called Jackson's something or other and in that area. You can ride your bike there. So bring a backpack to put your snokel gear in. Snorkeling at Point of Sand (need a car to get there) is marginal, despite what locals tell u, and snorkeling just off Pirates Point sucked. The south side of the island in recent years has had a lot of sand swept against it from hurricanes.

Diving: i've dove in micornesia, southern egypt red sea, bahamas, atlantic north of bahamas, MX, and all around the carribean. LC diving is up there with the best of em, except for the colors. i don't know why - the fish life is plentiful like crazy (including reef sharks), and reefs are very healthy, but for some reason u don't get the colors u get in other places. And cold - it was the coldest place i ever dove (unless i'm losing tolerance for cold in my old age). I think the water temps were in the 70s. Next trip i am bringing a 5mm suit instead of the standard 3mm. And i'm bringing 2 so that i can take off the wet suit after the 1st dive, and put on a dry one for the 2nd dive. i'm used to liveaboard diving but i like diving w/ Conch Club Divers. Dive with them! The dive boats at LC Beach Resort struck me as cattleboat-ish and seemed bigger. But maybe i was just enamoured with how professional and diligent the Conch Club Divers ppl were. I felt they were more like peers or friends rather than ppl working at jobs. I look forward to seeing them again.

Oh and u can get better rates if u book your dive package directly thru the dive shop because the booking office in the US tacks on a 10% booking fee. CC Divers is owned and run separately from the condos even tho they are on site.

Prices: Yeah getting there and staying there is a tad more expensive than other places in the carribean, but u get what u pay for and its worth it if u want peace and quiet.

Downside to Conch Club Condos: If your condo is in front of a pool, when other ppl use the pool its kinda weird cuz it feels like they are in your space. And also, some ppl have small children and don't even make an effort to have their kids NOT scream. Its a condo complex and u can hear other ppl's conversations. But ppl on LC in general are quiet and polite so its not too big of a deal unless u r near screaming children or a loud annoying person (i only ran into loud annoying ppl at LCBR.)

Also, each condo has a diff owner, so the details of each are slightly diff. Like the decor of ours was cheesy 80s-old-lady decor, and had no sea kayaks with it. Other condos had sea kayaks. Our was clean and had everythingin the kitchen we needed so i can't complain really.

I've booked my next trip already. I can't wait.

From my bookmarks:
---

PS - Please don't go there if u r loud.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank bettyx1138

Been to Conch Club Condominiums? Share your experiences!