Southern Cross Club
Le Soleil d'Or(Cayman Brac)
US$538
US$495
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Sunset Cove(Little Cayman)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewschef anubarefoot eleganceoutdoor showerowen islandfishing guidedive staffdeep sea fishinghoneymoon bungalowtunapaddle boardingfly fishinggrand caymangreat fishingsunset cruisesmall islandfishing resortrepeat guests
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed for two nights in April.

Plus side
- Accomodation was fantastic, in the beachfront villa you could hear the waves and see the beautiful stars
- Diving was excellent, Mick and his team were professional, knowledgable and great fun
- General staff courteous and efficient

Not so great
- As a previous reviewer has mentioned, it seemed that there were far too many kids at the resort. I believe one of the attractions of this "small, safe resort" for those with kids is that parents feel they can take a break from parenting...as a result the kids just run around, being noisy kids. Which is fine, but not something that fits in with the idyllic, tranquil, quiet "retreat" image that the SCC is attempting to sell itself on. The website says Fish and Dive resort...More truthful would be a "Family Resort"
- Having a downstairs room - We stayed downstairs and all we could hear was footsteps from one kid running around for an hour or so on one night. Tip: Go for an upstairs room
- Food - The catering staff seem to be from an Indian heritage and as such there is a strong bent on Indian food (Curry etc). In addition if you are used to resorts, you will be disappointed at the lack of choice (Maybe 3 Entree selections, 1x veggie, 1x fish, 1x meat). Maybe there is an issue getting decent supplies to this tiny island.

From reading the previous reviews it seems that the owner is pretty proactive at replying so I look forward to hearing his reply on the above.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
LittleCaymanSCC1, Owner at Southern Cross Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

Hello NYC,
Peter Hillenbrand here. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife on your trip to The Southern Cross Club last month. We appreciate your review and your encouragement for me to respond.
As I think you are probably aware, SCC has a no children under ten policy. Our low density, barefoot luxury environment does indeed lend itself to a peaceful and romantic Caribbean vacation where you can stay as busy as you would like exploring our pristine environment, or do nothing more than relax in a hammock by the pool. While our guests are usually couples, we do get some families in with teenagers and dive age children. This is especially true during March, when you were visiting, and when schools are on holiday. I do remember a small group of teenagers playing Ghost in the Graveyard on the beach one night and I suspect this was the cause of some of the noise you referred to. I went back to look at the guest list while you were visiting SCC and was not sure if I needed to laugh or shake my head in shame. The family that was above you during your stay was my sister and her 14 year old daughter. I am sorry if my niece was a bit club footed. I will be sure to wag a finger at the two of them when I see them next. Our bungalows are designed to be private and peaceful, matching the islands environment.
Given this, I would respectfully disagree with your comment “The website says Fish and Dive resort...More truthful would be a "Family Resort"” Little Cayman is a Holy Grail for divers and fishermen, and Bloody Bay Wall is on the top of every serious divers bucket list. We are consistently rated one of the top destinations in the world for advanced as well as beginner divers. We do indeed have some families with older children visit, but SCC has been, and will remain, a wonderful peaceful environment that caters to beach lovers as well as divers and fishing enthusiasts, including couples and some families with older children. Our dive and fish staff are second to none, and because of our small size and uncrowded dive boats, we can offer services and options not available at other resorts. I am truly sorry if your two night stay left you with a different impression.
SCC has a fantastic kitchen run by an extremely capable and creative Canadian, Chef Ron. Our menu is diverse and fresh. I will again respectfully disagree that our guests will “be disappointed by the lack of choice”. In fact, I think you will be astonished at the wonderful diversity of our menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner, given we are located on an idyllic island of just 150 full time residents. (Per your comment - we receive supplies once per week from Grand Cayman.) We do have an Indian chef in our kitchen, so we do occasionally serve fantastic curry dishes, but always accompanied by a variety of other proteins and delicious salads. In general our kitchen serves a healthy choice of Caribbean and international cuisines, but we are able to cater to specific diets based on need and desire. Some nights we serve buffet style, and some are ala carte menus.
Thanks again for the visit, and thank you for inviting me to leave my response to your review. I think a few of your impressions were incomplete because of your short visit. Most of our guests are many time repeat visitors who cherish Little Cayman and our small unique dive, fish and relax resort, and stay for a week or more. The next time I hope to see you and your wife here for a longer stay.
Pete

Reviewed 23 April 2010

This is our ninth year at the club and for us it is like being with family. The resort is small and intimate. Rooms are perfect size and outdoor showers are bliss. Wonderful meals are served in the club house at specified times - three times a day so you get to know people. Dive staff (Mike, Kristen and Justin) are awesome! They make each dive an adventure (a good one).

If you are looking for nightlife, restaurants, shopping or like to show off your latests fashions on the beach - Grand Cayman is nice. On the other hand if you are looking for a place to relax, do a little exploring, have great diving or fishing experience then SCC is the place.

It is hard to believe you are on an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The staff is so accomodating - just ask and they will try to make it appear. Our luggage didn't arrive with us and the owner of the club (we love Peter) brought cloths over to my husband so he could fish and the manager (we love Jen) was willing to share with me.

This is the best place to kick back and relax, be with friends and have the fishing and diving experience you dream about. Not really a family resort. But for those of us that like adventure or just relaxing it is perfect.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Just got back 2:30 this am----Spent 7 days at Southern Cross with Jess- Was the most unbelievable experience we've had traveling. From the scenary to the staff everything was perfect. This truly is a slice of paradise. We actually felt like we were in our home and that we were surrounded by family- The diving team at the Cross was amazing- they not only catered to my fiance who is new to diving but took the time to point out every detail of everything diving at a little cayman had to offer for an experienced diver like myself. Mike, Justine, & Christian were just awesome-
Ron & his staff were amazing- I honestly felt like we were eating at a 5 star restuarant every single night...What they are able to do there is just spectacular- I noted they could go head to head with any restuarant in Boston any day of the week-
Jen, Renita, Grand, Neil, David, & Kim made the whole trip go flawlessly--- and absolutely stress free- anything we needed we had and if they didnt have it they would get it- no question asked....
The bar staff Denise and Shawn were great to just have a cold drink with and share conversation about anything!
The bottom line is that the Southern Cross Club has all the ingredients to completely detach yourself from the day to day stresses of normal life- It forces your to take you stay and look at life and all it has to offer- No questions asked we will be back asap.
Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cahluva04
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This was our 2nd stay at this resort and we enjoyed it even more because they've rebuilt since the last time we were there due to the hurricane. The staff was very friendly and accomodating to all of our needs, it's like staying at a friends house. The diving was great, the Dive Masters were very professional and took their diving very seriously and really care about the eco-system of the reefs and wall. The food was great and lots of it too! We sure wish there would have been a masseuse on the premises, we missed getting our massages during our 2 week stay. We could have used better pillows to help our aching backs during our sleep but that's what we deal with when we travel. We Loved the outdoor shower on the deck too! We will be Back!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2010

You know when you meet someone who says that s/he enjoys visiting "X" location year after year, and you wonder when and if you will ever find such a place for yourself? Well, I have traveled all over the world, and there are many places left on my list to visit, but it is an understatement to say it would be well worth the money and time to visit Southern Cross again. And again. I see why so many of their guest stay there year after year, get engaged there, then come back for the wedding/honeymoon/every anniversary thereafter.

Litlle Cayman.... 10 miles long, 150 residents. The post office, airport and fire station are in the same building. Sleepy at best. No shopping. No nightclubs. No ATM (the bank is open 2 days a week, though). Friendly faces. A billion stars. Clear warm and blue water, sugar white soft sand on empty, empty beaches. If you want the common comforts of home like Pizza Hut, pharmacy/ shopping options, and nightlife, then go to Grand Cayman.

Southern Cross location: Amazing beach and calm, flat, clear sea. Hammocks beneath palapas. Beach lounger-y chairs right on the sand. A creaky wooden swing for 2 hanging from a big old tree. Small pool with tables/ umbrellas around it. Cute bar with indoor and outdoor seating. SCC is just across the water from Owen Island, a deserted island with great swimming. The staff will pack you a lunch, and you can grab a kayak and in 15 minutes, you're on your own paradise. Dead silent at night with stars, stars, stars everywhere. They have a star-idenitfier in the office so you can educate yourself in constellations. Books on fish and reef ceatures in the clubhouse, along with ppaerbacks left by previous guests. Romantic, low-key, elegant, yet a great value for the money and service received. Wonderful for adult relaxation. I did not wear shoes the entire time we were there except my dive booties or sneakers for my morning runs. Would not recommend it for young children.

Rooms: (some are renovated; ours was not, and it was still lovely and comfortable) All have a little porch or balcony, A/C, coffeemaker, 2 beds, clothesline on the porch to hang your swimsuit and dive stuff. Simple and clean. Only 10 or 11 rooms, I think, so the place has a very intimate feel, and you get the impression that you are welcome to mingle with the other guests at the bar, or keep to yourself. Desktop computer in the clubhouse with internet.

Food: Buffet at breakfast, lunch; dinner is either sit-down plated meal or buffet. Food is simple and very good and very fresh. Fruit, salads, good desserts, omelet station, pancakes/ French toast made to order, usually 2 or 3 types of salad, hearty bread, 2or 3 dessert choices at dinner. Cookies at lunch- esp choco chip- are so, so tasty. I was worried about meals being at set times, but I never felt hungry between meals. Fruit and granola bars and water are on the boat to sustain you between dives. Picnic lunches available in a cooler if you ask in the morning..... Bar is on the honor system until the bartender gets there, usually around 4:30 pm.

Amenities/ Activities: Shack on the SCC dock with snorkel equipment. Just grab and go. Kayaks, too. Or get on a bike and cycle about- the island is flat and there are very few cars- great for a cushy beach cruiser bicycle ride to another beach with a picnic lunch. Running routes are plentiful and I felt very safe running alone. Hammock lounging is an official activity as well, I think. The diving is amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Put your gear on the porch in the morning, and the staff takes it to the boat and sets it up for you. I didn't have all the stuff, so the staff helped me with choosing a wetsuit, BCD, etc. All the equipment is clean well-maintained. Boats only have 10 or so divers on board, so you're not crammed in like cattle.

Staff: Helpful, accommodating, non-intrusive, friendly, genuinely interested in ensuring you are enjoying yourself. I have stayed in huts, hovels and Four Seasons Resorts and encountered the varying levels of service at each one; the staff and service at SCC surpasses all of them. Dive instructors are knowledgeable, patient, and safety-conscious. No job is too great- even if, say, you can't use a compass to save your life- your dive instructor will teach it, review it, and then repeat it until you get it. Um, just as an example. :) The resort was completely booked the week we were there, but you would never know it, given the amount of 1:1 attention we received. Essentially, the staff here is the biggest reason I would return- you can, of course, find beautiful beaches and rooms all over the planet, but customer service at SCC -level is extremely rare and valuable.

I can't wait to return! You can see our video of SCC at http://scoopthedirt.com/Reviews/

Just go. You will love it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple