“The perfect b&b”

and 1 more site!
The Railway Cottage
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

We have finally found the perfect bed and breakfast.
Dusty and Roz are the best hosts, helpful and a mine of information of the local area.
The room is well equipped, comfortable and complete with conservatory, microwave and other extras.
Watching Dusty attend to his bees provided a fascinating insight into beekeeping in general and encouraged further exploration of the garden.
Located a short drive from Bala, makes it ideal for visiting the many attractions in the surrounding area as well as Bala itself.
Offering unrivaled value for money, one of the warmest welcomes and a wonderful breakfast; this really is the perfect bed and breakfast accommodation. So much so, we have booked again for February

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mick W

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is a lovely old cottage which has just one guest room which consists of a bathroom, bedroom and small conservatory which looks out onto the garden. It is situated down a quiet lane just outside Bala so is perfect for a peaceful night's sleep. A warm welcome is given by the owners, Ros and Dusty Rhodes who provide a good breakfast in a pleasant dining area from where guests can sit and watch many birds feeding outside. A real gem!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 3 September 2013

From the very moment I enquired about staying, I knew this place was special. Dusty and his wife were very welcoming and they have the best eggs in the land! Always ready to offer information and help if needed. Breakfast was served at a time to suit me and the setting was simply lovely. Nice and private, spacious room, very cosy in March when I stayed, it even snowed and I was able to watch it falling from the private conservatory that was part of the room. They have a little fridge and microwave where I sorted out my own meals in the evening and a great collection of dvd's to keep me entertained in the cold nights. I was looking for a relaxing break away from the world and this place offered exactly what I needed! 5 stars and more!

Overall I couldn't ask for more form a B&B, I think I'll be staying here again in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Holly M
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Everything was perfect in this B&B - as mentioned before, everything is to hand and the privacy of the room being a separate section of the house is a definite bonus!
Breakfast was served in a very comfortable setting beside the top to floor windows facing the garden (also private from the rest of the house). I wish I took a photo of it. The food was just amazing - everything was homemade and tasted delicious.
The double bed was fixed together from twin beds but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for the divide. It was exceptionally comfy and the cover was really smooth..
The TV was much bigger than the one we had at Monfa in Bala, and we loved the experience. Our only regret was not having enough time to watch some of their amazing collection of DVDs (Downtown abbey! </3) because we arrived late at night and had an early start to go whitewater rafting :))).
Mr Rhodes was really kind to us and offered to drive us to the National White Water Centre the next day because we didn't have a car - and we arrived on time thanks to him!!

Frongoch is a lovely little town, and our friends in Bala drove us to the location because I do not think it is reachable by public transport.
We really wish to return to enjoy the absolutely wonderful service and facilities at this accommodation!! Definitely will when we have the chance!

Room Tip: Book Early! We wanted to stay for 2 nights but the dates we wanted were booked out a month in advanc...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janice T
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

We only stayed here for a night but wish we had stayed longer. Dusty and his wife made us most welcome in their immaculate cottage. Breakfast was a lovely experience in the sunny hallway send and was beautifully presented. The room is small for big suitcases but a conservatory off the room adds a great space. A microwave and some cutlery help you have an evening meal. It is a little out of town but handy for the whitewater centre with a very pleasant walk.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank alwaysmore2c
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Our garden room was quite wonderful set amidst a birds' paradise (including a breakfasting woodpecker), chickens, doves and a wonderful riverside setting. Exceptionally clean. Everything to hand, including fridge and microwave. Breakfasts were superb and you've GOT to try Dusty's porridge! Mine hosts were kindness personified and Dusty sorted out some trout fishing for hubby; just the ticket!
The weather was with us too which made our trip so much the nicer.
Will definitely return so we can discover more of this lovely part of Wales.
My only negative (if one can call it that) is that I was unable to view the quite small TV properly due to the type of my spectacles.
On a lighter note I will probably bring a mattress topper next time which is a personal thing due to back problems.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Judi376
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for three days and I simply had to write this review. We have stayed in so many 5 star hotels and I have to say the Railway Cottage has been the best experience I have had in my life. This is a perfect introduction to Wales, our wonderful hosts Dusty and Ros open their B&B to you with nothing but perfection, the room is beautifully decorated, situated next to a river and a beautiful big garden. They have lots of wildlife in the garden and share their garden with doves, woodpeckers, hens, other rare birds and a quirky duck. Can you imagine having breakfast whilst looking at doves and woodpeckers and other birds feeding in the garden? Well the answer is yes if you stay at the Railway Cottage. The breakfast is locally sourced and I promise you, you will not be disappointed. The hosts are nothing but wonderful and the room is spacious with everything you could ever desire.

If you do visit Wales, you simply must stay here otherwise I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Book fast to avoid disappointment. The owners can be contacted directly if you do a main engine sear...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple