“What a great place, home from home, with a very generous host!”
Review of Ridleys Residence

Ridleys Residence
Ridleys Residence
Ranked #3 of 4 Frongoch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The poor review given by David r, I feel is completely unjustified; this hotel is like being at home, it is NOT filthy at all!! but a lovely home, filled with a lot of culture, antiques, pictures only the most knowledgeable of people would appreciate; it has a lot of homely charm, certainly not of the minimalistic fashion around, but indeed an interesting collection of cultural things make this home what it is!! Mr Carey Williams was an extremely generous and welcoming host, when we arrived were welcomed in with tea and some of his delicious birthday cake, most appreciated after a long drive! Our bedroom was equipped with everything, TV, teas maid, with ample supplies of tea, coffee, sugar. Plenty of towels, soap, and other additional toiletries. Our bed was extremely comfortable, I never saw one spot of dust, cobwebs at all in the time we stayed. The morning breakfast was to die for!! we were offered as much as you could eat, cereals, fruit juices, toast, and a very generous fry up, a full English, no scrimping on that score, absolutely delicious, sad that David r missed out on it!! Carey was just such a great host, even played us some music, by request, he's one in a million!! and would definately visit there again, he was more like a friend that a host!! Val Abbott and John Kirwin.

Room Tip: If you want minimalism type of decor, not for you; you need transport to visit nearby places, if you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie A

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Me, I love marmite but I understand that it doesn't suit everyone's taste. This campsite is very much the same. If you want beautifully manicured lawns, caravan club signs and an overpriced shop, "clubhouse" etc then go and stay somewhere else. This campsite has everything you need, but at a basic level. The toilets, showers and wash area all work fine (OK so hot water is only on for a few hours morning and evening and the lighting is of the solar powered LED type), the site is clean enough and tidy and it's close to loads of attractions. If you normally stay on the campsite all weekend and do nothing, you'll hate it. As a base for the usual Snowdonia activities, it's great. We stayed with a young family as part of a bigger group and had loads of fun. A relaxed attitude to noise and light curfews and the provision (for a fee) of fireplaces and firewood meant we could all chill out with a glass in the evenings around the (real) fire for as long as we wanted. Sure, it had flaws - the main road nearby got a bit tedious and the paths down to the lovely river bank were too overgrown to use comfortably - but at £14 a night for a family of 4, I challenge you to find anything better. I know some of our group weren't big fans, but I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Campsite is long and thin - The road side is better ground for tents. The river side is perhaps bett...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Our experience at Ridley's Residence was a good one from the start. The host is very flexible in relation to arrival and departure, and a really welcoming friendly person.
I found the décor really interesting, and conversation provoking. It will not be to everyone's taste, so if you want a five star hotel with no personality you will have to keep looking.
If you want a friendly, welcoming host, who has lots of knowledge about the area (and all sorts of other interesting things), a beautiful setting close to Bala and its lovely lake, and to the National Whitewater Centre, look no further!!! I will be recommending this B&B and the Campsite to friends and family.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline A
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Carey seemed lovely on the phone however the room was disgusting beyond belief. The house was filthy...we were going to have breakfast but changed our minds when we got there. We stayed with friends who were on the campsite who were equally appalled as we were with the standard but unfortunately as we had already paid for Canyoning and White Water Rafting at a nearby centre (which was excellent and a lot cleaner experience than staying at the B&B)and it was Bank Holiday Weekend we had no choice but to endure it the place (but spent as little time as possible there) and showered at the centre. We awoke however in the middle of the night to find the roof was leaking in on us....bathroom door didn't close, hot water contraption was a hazard we dared not use and the shower was not so much ensuite as insuite as it was positioned in the corner of the bedroom with a glass screen round it!! Kettle was a 1980's teasmaid (no milk provided and teabags were loose and filthy with some loose sugar in a filthy cup (all remained untouched), furniture and decor was a 1970"s mismatch . Worst place I have ever stayed and at £50 per night excluding breakfast - a premier inn would have been a much safer and hygienic bet!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank David r
CareyJ877, Owner at Ridleys Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Having recently found this 12 month old vitriolic and untrue review, I feel I must belatedly reply.

The visitors concerned stayed one night and the following morning said they would not stay longer as the room was unsatisfactory. I said I regretted that they were leaving and not happy but they insisted that the room was dirty because the wife had seen a cobweb. This was the only complaint made to me. Unwisely (obviously) I did point out that in the country, spiders were common and that as any country person could say, it is possible for a room to be cleaned and a cobweb woven by the following day – such is nature.
My response was not much appreciated as can be seen from the review – ‘ hell hath no fury…”

As a bloke I know my limitations in regard to cleaning. Consequently I not only have one meticulous cleaner who attends to that weekly, but a second who makes up the beds as soon as the room has been vacated and checks again that all is correct, especially checking showers and toilets; so my rooms cannot possibly be ‘filthy’, and as you might guess, both are insulted at the suggestion.

As for the rest of the review – a work of pure fiction. My roof does not leak, all my appliances are PAT tested ( all 196 in fact plainly labelled), my bathroom door closes, and comments apparently from some other (imaginary?) people on some camping site ( who never even came to my place) don’t alter those facts.
Yes the house is an old quaint vicarage and so it says in my publicity.
If you come here you will get a clean warm welcome, and a fine breakfast (not sampled by these guests) from a kitchen rated HASAP scores on doors 4; and if you go to the actual Late-Rooms web site and read all the reviews there for Ridley’s Residence (87% would recommend a friend, 100% would stay again -and indeed the review on the French site), it will quickly become very clear who has the problem.

But if a cobweb (which I never found incidentally) has this kind of effect on you, then Travel Lodge is probably the best recommendation!!

Carey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frongoch
Glan Y Gro
#1 of 3 in Frongoch
Cysgod y Garn
Cysgod y Garn
#1 of 4 in Frongoch

Been to Ridleys Residence? Share your experiences!