2nd stay here (1st Aug 2012). Stayed again due to very budget friendly price and expected view. The good: View of sea from balcony, very nice, in spite of the ongoing demolition/construction. Kitchenette was nice; we didn't eat out often, and enjoyed having our own nice cold beer (picked up at the distributer makes it a bargain). Room was clean, and staff was really nice. Sam a maintenance guy (who also worked on our hot water), even picked and opened a coconut for me, so I could enjoy fresh coconut water. AC unit was brand new and a big upgrade from our 2012 stay. Nice flat screen TV, but very few channels (didn’t matter as we spent a lot of time outside on the balcony). Free in-room Wi-Fi was excellent and very fast (compared to that of students living on island).
The excellent: Dive St. Kitts the on-site dive operation is wonderful. In 2012 we dove with Tony, this time was with Danny. Both are excellent, ensuring divers have a safe and awesome time. Dive boat captain, Captain Crabby is well, a really caring crab, he watches over to ensure all divers and dive masters are safe. I wouldn’t dive with anyone else on the island. I also appreciate their efforts to remove invasive lion fish. Also, nice snorkeling on reef and rocks in hotel area.
Bird Rock is kind-of centrally located, so it is relatively close to Port Zante, a bit further to Marriott, Shipwreck, Cockleshell and other beaches. A longer drive out to Brimstone Fort and Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik.
The not so good: The condition of the rooms was generally fair. Also, when we booked a few months in advance, we were unaware of construction plans. Gone is Rocky's Beach Bar, to be replaced by "fine dining". Divers kind of liked hanging out at Rocky’s after returning from diving, but that is no longer an option.
The bed was okay, as were other furnishings. The walls are this, loud neighbors a couple of nights made sleeping a challenge. Ceiling fan was loud enough it helped mask the neighbor sounds. If you rent a car, be aware that parking is extremely limited, often no place for guests to park, except in grassy area across the street.
Restaurants are fair. Breakfast average price and quality. Lunch served in different space, but same kitchen (great Captain Crabby burger). Dinner menu at restaurant limited, ask for Rocky's menu if you want a simpler fare.
Hot water often only warm, hot showers not always available, at first due to part being out (couldn’t replace it for a few days). Front desk did offer to change our room, but offered room had view of pool and pool “bar” not the ocean. We said no thanks, but they did give us a key to a vacant room that had hotter water.
Owner did speak with us about our concerns; he knew our names, and that we were repeat customers. He seemed genuinely interested in hearing from us, and made us feel like he wanted us to return in the future. He also shared his ideas with us.
The really bad: The pillows were horrible. A pile of granite stuffed in a pillow case would have been more comfortable. We rolled up towels and put them in the pillow cases, instead of the pillows.
Construction made it difficult to access beach at hotel.
A side note: Owner evidently planning on many changes: moving the breakwater rocks out a 100-150ft, to build a big artificial beach (so much for the local reef?), adding a dolphin - people encounter (I’m not clear on the location, but sounds like will not be built in ocean (some may want it; none we talked to do), adding fine dining restaurant (he hopes this will be done before October/November 2014). My opinion is there is plenty of “fine dining” on the island, and I’d prefer Rocky’s.
Would we stay there again? Probably, but only if the room stays bargain priced; can't beat the views (we checked at Timothy’s Beach Resort (no sea view) and Marriott (not really sea views from the rooms, but beautiful property and beaches). An added plus, is although signs say otherwise, Marriott didn’t mind us enjoying their beach amenities (cabanas, chaise lounges, etc.) for free; however, we did purchase food and drink there, and it was off-season. Saw lots of sea turtles (juvenile green sea turtles, enjoying the sea grass at the Mariott).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a secluded cove overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Bird Rock Beach Hotel captivates you with its tranquil setting and its warm hospitality. Guests have access to a wide variety of water based activities including swimming, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving. There are three restaurants including Rocky’s Beach Bar & Grill. The hotel’s 46 air-conditioned rooms are tastefully furnished and include a king-size bed or two queen-size beds, full bathrooms, cable TV, and private balconies with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Kids 11 and under say free when sharing with adults. Dive St Kitts, the island’s premier dive operation, is located at the base of the hotel. The private harbor shelters the 32' twin 200HP monohull and is perfectly located on one of the best, easy access, shore dives on the Caribbean side of St Kitts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Bird Rock Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bird Rock Beach Resort
- Bird Rock Beach Basseterre
- Bird Rock Beach Hotel St. Kitts/Basseterre