“Awesome,challenging hike and climb up to peak of Mount Nevis”
Review of Nevis Peak Hike

Ranked #4 of 53 things to do in Nevis
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano is a favorite climbers, hikers and cyclists.
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome,challenging hike and climb up to peak of Mount Nevis”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Fantastic 5 hours up and down through beautiful forest, challenging climbing in the safe hands of Ervine from Nevis Adventure Tours( who has so much love for his island and passion to show it off) thank god for the ropes and don't forget to " step between the roots" shame the top was cloudy but still worth the effort! Weightlifting gloves would save the hands and wear old clothes as you come back covered in mud! A day to remember

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Suzanne H

St. Kitts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“epic hike”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was one of the best hikes I have ever done.
I had read this very review page before I went and found it helpful with the directions and stuff they wrote about the hike to watch out for. As such its a pleasant hike since all of it is in the shade and the scenery is amazing.
It is technical to some extent and you would get a bit muddy at certain spots but in all its a terrific hike. It took about 1.5 hours one way and about the same on the way down. I would definitely recommend this to people visiting st.kitts and nevis.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Atandra B
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lone hiker 6/5/2013”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I am writing this review about an hour after completing this "hike". Like previous reviewers have said, it’s more of a 2500ft climb. I completed it without a guide and didn't get lost until the very end. As other have mentioned it is VERY physically demanding but if you manage to push through you will have an immense feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

To find the trailhead simply get to the gingerland police station (it shows up on google maps if you zoom in on gingerlan) and turn towards the uphill road. Follow the signs to "peak haven" and keep driving on the treacherous road until you meet a black fence which you can easily open. Keep driving for about 10 seconds and you will see an area where you can park your car. Make sure to be back before 4pm so they don't lock the gate. You're going to see the fenced entrance to peak haven museum, ignore it and continue walking along the side until it turn into woods. At this point you have begun the hike.

Follow the trail until you hit a wall - yup, you have to climb that using the ropes, vines, and tree roots. From this point forth it is basically impossible to get lost since the trail becomes so obvious. This is the first of many, many, many, many climbs like that one all the way to the top. It is intense but push through!

All I have to say about the climb back down is BE CAREFUL! I made the mistake of wearing running shoes which provide no ankle support and almost twisted them on several occasions. A 2hr hike down can immediately turn into a 6hr hike down if you're not careful and get injured. I mentioned in the beginning of the review that i got lost at the very end. This is because on the way out of the woods I accidentally followed another trail that spit me out by a ranch far from where I had parked my car. I had to hike (on the street this time) 25 minutes back to where my car was. That sucked because I was exhausted from the actual hike/climb.

WARNING: If you have ANY sort of joint problem I beg you to opt out of this hike. You will not enjoy it at all and will be in pain long after. One reviewer said that he intended to do the hike twice on the same day. That's BS unless he is a direct descendant of a chimpanzee.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ruiz2728
Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Marathoner & Ironman hike Mt. Nevis- on our own”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

With the skepticism of our hotel front desk (Nisbet Plantation) and our way over priced taxi driver , we decided to do this hike on our own.

Quick background on my wife and I – she is a 4 time marathoner and I am an Ironman competitor. Hiking a mountain is not what we would consider to be a tough day. This hike is not for the week hearted or people who are afraid of heights. We made it to the top, without a guide, in 1:15minutes. The hike is treacherous. There are parts where you must use roots and ropes to climb 30-60ft straight up! Its not easy by any means and it gets very muddy. Bring your old clothes and shoes you wish to throw away because they will be done after this. When we came back down we stopped at the Blue Roof store and had a few beers with the locals hanging out. It was Easter weekend so everyone was partying. They are nice, friendly and it is completely safe.

You don’t need a guide to stay on the path- but if you are a little timid this may help you get to the top. I don’t see the real need for one as the path is easy to find and follow.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Ryan D
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“In the mist, Above the clouds”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Went up with a guide, and a father and 2 kids who went up the previous year, and a mother and daughter. Was an awesome experience. The 1st quarter you will really notice your heart rate and breathing. Better to take deep breaths. Warm ups may be helpful just before the climb.
Lots of fern and other beautiful vegetation. Beautiful views of the Island. In the 60s on top that day. Tallest coconut tree I've seen located at the bottom of the climb.

Visited March 2013