“Challenging, invigorating hike/climb up!”
Review of Nevis Peak Hike

Ranked #4 of 53 things to do in Nevis
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcano is a favorite climbers, hikers and cyclists.
Boston, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Challenging, invigorating hike/climb up!”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Before coming, I read all the reviews and was a bit nervous - after all, I am a 40'ish reasonably healthy, but do-not-regularly-exercise type of woman. And, yes - this is not really a hike, but more of a climb up a mountain. My husband and I figured we were ready, with hiking boots and workout clothes, and with Reggie (of Nevis Adventure Tours), our excellent guide. Although some reviewers mentioned going it alone, we were very happy we had our guides - they shared a little about the local history and various sights as we went up, and made sure we did not mis-step over the sometimes slippery rocks. They were helpful in replacing a rope needed to climb up a slippery part of the trail where a rock got dislodged.

With our guide, we not only went to the top of the trail (which we thought was the Peak), he also guided us through the bushes to the highest peak - with even better views of the island.

It is best if you are in better shape than myself (your average regular exercise with some weight training - you don't have to be a Spartan racer to do this!). However, I do neither and made it to the top in about 2-2.5 hrs. I was just VERY sore the next day. Despite this, I was able (with the help of some ibuprofen) to go on a little known waterfall hike that Reggie just started about a year ago (which was less strenuous, but beautiful for the waterfalls) two days after this Peak Hike.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Ellen P

Greer, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Glorious, Muddy, Challenging Adventure!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

For perspective: I run marathons and ultramarathons (30-50 mile races) in the Appalachian mountains. I've done some small to mid triathlons.
This had my heart pumping quite a lot. It requires the use of ropes to get you up and down the mountain. And I don't mean little ropes to keep you from falling. I'm talking about ropes like you see hanging off a cliff that you need to pull yourself up by. Pure climbing in many places. There are almost no flat sections except for the first 200 yards. For me, this was an AWESOME, out of the box adventure for me that I was able to do while my wife had a nice spa massage. Personally, I think I made the better decision.

Logistics:
Guide or solo?
--Can you do this without a guide? Maybe. The trail isn't really marked, but if you stay on it, you should be fine. You had better have a lot of water with you and know what you're doing if you embark on this adventure w/o a guide. If you want a guide, ask one of the locals or your hotel for "Iggy." He's a fun guy that knows the mountain and will go at whatever pace you choose. They typically start from a place near Poor Man's Bar, which is also near "Peak Heaven" (or Haven, I can't remember). I think they charged about $40 per person, with a 2 person minimum. I paid him $80 because I didn't want to go with anyone else that would make me stop every 5 minutes, and I'm glad I did (only if you're in great shape).

Time / Distance--
It is about 4 miles. 2 up and 2 down. It took me about 3 hours.

Footwear--You will not enjoy this trail if you don't have some sturdy shoes. In fact, it will be downright dangerous. I had trail running shoes and I slipped and slid through the mud several times. Tennis shoes would be a disaster. You may be able to get to the top, but you could very well injure yourself on the way down.

Mud--Oh yeah. You will be a mess. Do not wear nice clothing.

Rain--Probably. It's a rainforest up there, what do you expect?
View--There is one view halfway up and then another at the top. The top is most often covered by clouds, so it would be rare to see it from up there. I got to the top and it was clear. By the time I realized I should take a picture, the clouds were already in and around us.

Monkeys-- You may or may not see any. I saw a couple at the start of the hike. It depends on the time of year.

Taxi- It's about a $40 roundtrip taxi ride from Charlestown. Your guide will call your taxi driver when you are close to being done and they'll be there waiting for you. "Teach" is a taxi driver I've always enjoyed using.

So...It's a challenge not to be taken lightly. You had better be in good shape or you will likely whine a lot and be really sore for the next 2 days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, though!!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Scott F
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome,challenging hike and climb up to peak of Mount Nevis”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Fantastic 5 hours up and down through beautiful forest, challenging climbing in the safe hands of Ervine from Nevis Adventure Tours( who has so much love for his island and passion to show it off) thank god for the ropes and don't forget to " step between the roots" shame the top was cloudy but still worth the effort! Weightlifting gloves would save the hands and wear old clothes as you come back covered in mud! A day to remember

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Suzanne H
St. Kitts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“epic hike”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was one of the best hikes I have ever done.
I had read this very review page before I went and found it helpful with the directions and stuff they wrote about the hike to watch out for. As such its a pleasant hike since all of it is in the shade and the scenery is amazing.
It is technical to some extent and you would get a bit muddy at certain spots but in all its a terrific hike. It took about 1.5 hours one way and about the same on the way down. I would definitely recommend this to people visiting st.kitts and nevis.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Atandra B
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lone hiker 6/5/2013”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I am writing this review about an hour after completing this "hike". Like previous reviewers have said, it’s more of a 2500ft climb. I completed it without a guide and didn't get lost until the very end. As other have mentioned it is VERY physically demanding but if you manage to push through you will have an immense feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

To find the trailhead simply get to the gingerland police station (it shows up on google maps if you zoom in on gingerlan) and turn towards the uphill road. Follow the signs to "peak haven" and keep driving on the treacherous road until you meet a black fence which you can easily open. Keep driving for about 10 seconds and you will see an area where you can park your car. Make sure to be back before 4pm so they don't lock the gate. You're going to see the fenced entrance to peak haven museum, ignore it and continue walking along the side until it turn into woods. At this point you have begun the hike.

Follow the trail until you hit a wall - yup, you have to climb that using the ropes, vines, and tree roots. From this point forth it is basically impossible to get lost since the trail becomes so obvious. This is the first of many, many, many, many climbs like that one all the way to the top. It is intense but push through!

All I have to say about the climb back down is BE CAREFUL! I made the mistake of wearing running shoes which provide no ankle support and almost twisted them on several occasions. A 2hr hike down can immediately turn into a 6hr hike down if you're not careful and get injured. I mentioned in the beginning of the review that i got lost at the very end. This is because on the way out of the woods I accidentally followed another trail that spit me out by a ranch far from where I had parked my car. I had to hike (on the street this time) 25 minutes back to where my car was. That sucked because I was exhausted from the actual hike/climb.

WARNING: If you have ANY sort of joint problem I beg you to opt out of this hike. You will not enjoy it at all and will be in pain long after. One reviewer said that he intended to do the hike twice on the same day. That's BS unless he is a direct descendant of a chimpanzee.

Visited June 2013