Family vacation in paradise is possible. With two teenage daughters, the right place is hard to find, but Golden Rock satisfied all desires beyond expectation. The grounds are stunning to say the least, with stone pathways around the entire premises with show-stopping flowering plants and trees, subtle lighting at night, all set amongst restored 200 year old plantation buildings. Just walking around the paths created an ambiance that was both relaxing as well as visually amazing. Most rooms are in stand alone duplex buildings spread amongst the grounds, far enough away from others that it was always quiet -- except for the sounds of the surrounding rain forest. We stayed in the 'Sugar Mill,' the restored windmill tower with two twin beds downstairs and a king bed upstairs, both with bathrooms. The breeze at night was enough to keep us cool and room amenities were just right, not the silly Four Seasons 'too posh' but truly and extremely comfortable. Great king bed, sound sleeping, beautiful linens. The pool has a view that we'll never forget, looking between the palms and among the flowering bushes and plants out to the ocean with Montserrat in the distance. Pool towels always fresh and at the ready with plenty of comfortable loungers. The bar [complete selection of liquor and beers] was open all day until the last guests left the restaurant, usually around 10 p.m. with great bartender. Restaurant service was impeccable, the waitstaff always attentive and incredibly gracious, being more than happy to accommodate requests but never overbearing. Food was marvelous: huge hamburgers and sandwiches at lunch but dinners were truly remarkable for preparation, quality, and presentation. Rack of lamb was perfectly prepared, but the chef went above and beyond in the specials. One evening was lobster penne with perfect sauce and likely more lobster than you'd get in a lobster tail! Every one, from the waitress to the bartender to the manager all called me by name, whether sitting at dinner or just passing on the paths on the grounds. Sara, the front office person, was a font of information and able to accomplish miracles. The morning after our arrival, she made arrangements for a rental car to be delivered to Golden Rock and I signed everything right there. Our departure from Nevis required leaving in time to get back to the airport on St. Kitts for an 8 a.m. departure. Before going, I was seriously concerned about making the flight. However, Sara made all the arrangements for us to drive the rent car to Oualie Beach and leave it there [rental car people would retrieve it from there - wow!], catch a water taxi back to Reggae Beach on St. Kitts, and catch a taxi to the airport. It all went seamlessly, with the water taxi waiting for us at the beach and the taxi waiting for us on St. Kitts. While we were still zipping over the waves in the water taxi, Sara called the captain and made sure we made it! I was impressed! Even after arriving back home, I emailed Sara to confirm the rental car had been taken care of, and Sara made the call for me and emailed back confirming all was well. Service doesn't get any better. For 15 to 20 years our favorite place was St. John because of the relaxed atmosphere that hadn't been invaded by the hoards of "tourists" and cruise ship crowds. Now that St. John has been overrun and no longer the relaxing Caribbean destination, we have found our new haven of peace, relaxation, and truly remarkable beauty with great accommodations, fantastic food, and people that are absolutely the most wonderful in the hospitality world. Golden Rock should be on the top of everyone's list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gentle trade winds and dramatic Caribbean vistas set the stage for a visit to Golden Rock Inn. A former sugar estate dating back to the early 1800's, the property has been thoughtfully restored through the eyes of New York artists Helen and Brice Marden. Set on 100 acres stretching up the slopes of Nevis Peak, this boutique property has eleven guest rooms and private cottages, including the unique Sugar Mill Suite. Surrounded by lush tropical gardens designed by the owners with Miami landscape architect Raymond Jungles, the inn is an escape embraced with birds' songs and the rustling of bamboo. Guest rooms have either king or twin beds, which can be joined together to create a king. The unique Sugar Mill Suite has an oversized king bed upstairs, with full bath, and 2 twins downstairs with full bath. This accomodation is suitable for 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Golden Rock Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Rock Plantation Hotel Charlestown
- Golden Rock Inn Nevis, St. Kitts And Nevis