Montpelier Plantation & Beach
US$555
US$468
  • Beachfront
Golden Rock Inn(Charlestown)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$199
US$1,984
Orbitz.com
Oualie Beach Resort(New Castle)(Great Value!)
US$416
US$123
US$279
US$257
Travelocity
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club(New Castle)
US$302
US$293
US$483
Priceline
Timothy Beach Resort(Frigate Bay)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$165
Sugar Bay Club(Frigate Bay)
US$147
Hotels.com
All reviewssugar millgreat roompool barother guestspicnic lunchour honeymooncocktail hourbotanical gardensfour seasonsafternoon teaminute shuttle ridebeautiful poolshuttle servicenevis peakold millrum punchlord nelson
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the Montpellier Plantation a few weeks ago while holidaying on a few Caribbean islands. The hotel itself is undoubtedly beautiful and makes a strong first impression. Friends had come here for an evening meal and recommended it, and I can see why it appealed. However, it was far from perfect. I'll summarise the good and the bad:

The good:

1. Looks-wise, all the things you'll read in the five star accounts about the aesthetics are true, so I won't dwell. The hotel is nicely laid out, well maintained and the grounds are beautiful, particularly as they have only been establishing for 50 years. The iconic fig tree in the entrance looks hundreds of years old but is actually only 50 or so. Someone had a vision and implemented it very well. The plantation hall is old-world stylish and the sugar mill dining a nice touch that feels exclusive. The pool and bar areas are good.

2. The staff are a real asset to this hotel. All our chamber maids, the waitresses, bar staff etc. were charming, hard working and very focused on making sure we were well looked after and happy.

The 'not good'

1. The Montpellier Plantation was by far our least enjoyable stay in 5 hotels in the Caribbean on this trip, despite what I wrote above. This was mainly down to the way it was managed. For us, this hotel is a triumph of style over substance. Too much emphasis appears to be invested in things being 'perfect' rather than it being 'warm', and the Caribbean is all about a warm welcome. The staff were clearly afraid of the owner, to the extent that a slightly wobbly table that didn't bother us enough to merit attention produced a look of fear (and the words "she'll be mad") when we said to not to worry, to leave it. This turned us both stone cold. The staff are far, far too lovely to feel this way. It felt like they were 'muted' compared to every other place we stayed in; looking over their shoulders and needing things to be 'just so'. They were polite to a fault, and responded with smiles and kind words when we spoke to them, but it didn't look like they were enjoying their jobs, something which we valued in all the other places we stayed and created a hugely better, and more relaxing, atmosphere.

2. The food was really expensive. A meal in the main dining area costs $85 per head before drinks - more than I've paid for Michelin star dining at home, and not nearly as innovative or good at that price (see my photo of a menu - not exactly local fare). The 'privée' dining in the 300 year old sugar mill is $95 per head, and better value with more courses, but that underlined to me even more that the main dining area was substantially over-priced. You could go to the pool area and dine, and this was more reasonably priced, but I more have an issue with the value-for-money of the 'fine dining', particularly as (largely) it wasn't authentic Caribbean and somewhat less 'fine' than I have had at that price. I could have been eating in any city in the world and paying less to do so. We had better views (with the sea, rainforest etc.) in other hotels in the Caribbean for less, so the surroundings didn't merit such a premium either. We concluded that it was suited to people who didn't need to consider price, but that still didn't make it good value!

3. Our room (room 2) was very nice, and had a big bed, but if we'd have been paying peak rate prices we would have been scandalised. It wasn't an excellent room by any stretch of the imagination (keeping in mind that peak rates are over $400 per night, and this was one of their cheapest rooms). Even at $205 per night, I've had significantly better. The facilities were okay, but we had much better in other high end Caribbean hotels charging the same or slightly more. Ludicrously, there was no chest of drawers to unpack into, despite acres of space for more furniture (see photos), so we lived largely out of our suitcases as I didn't want my underwear etc. on the floor of the wardrobe - particularly as we had a large cockroach in our room (I don't mind cockroaches, and accept they are a fact of life in this part of the world, but I certainly don't want my clothing lying about when they are looking for some where to hide). Wifi was very patchy and I gave up using it in our room.

4. The reception service was patchy. When there, staff were really helpful, but often it was unmanned. We asked questions about trips we could go on, etc. and were told to leave it with them, but then had to chase.

5. The served breakfasts were good (the spiny lobster and scrambled egg particularly so and actually local), but we got to the breakfast area several times and found choices in the buffet selection (fruit, pastries etc.) already exhausted and not replenished for the good hour or so we were there, despite it being early. One wondered what those who arrived late got to choose from.

For the price you'll pay for this hotel, I'd be cautious. I'd recommend the Montpellier Plantation for an evening if you book the Sugar Mill, but I certainly will not be recommending it as a place to stay. A real shame. We stayed in other places in the Caribbean that I would row across the Atlantic to return to. This one was the only disappointment.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2, and you can see the pictures I've uploaded of this room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for one week and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Montpelier. The service and food was excellent.The staff was very helpful.The only fault one can find is the plantation was not on the beach. You have to take Montpelier bus for a trip to the the beach.On overall basis, I will recommend this resort for anyone looking for a quit relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had a wonderful week at Montpelier in Nevis. We were looking for a retreat. In need of some real R&R. Although initially sceptical of finding what we wanted in the Caribbean due to over development, Montpelier delivered with the perfect mix of old world charm and modern convenience set in a true paradise. We would recommend the garden suite. Our outdoor sala gave shade all day and we had beautiful sea views both inside and out. The island has a sleepy backwater feel which we found charming. We were delighted to partake in daily yoga on offer during our stay and a real highlight was a workshop with the chef. We had great meals in all three of the hotels restaurants. There is a great wine list and knowledgable, helpful staff. This place is very special indeed.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Adventurersmum
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The property is beautiful and the staff is both friendly and professional. I really appreciated the attention that they pay to detail as they really make you feel pampered. My wife and I are great lovers of food and we would put our dinner in the mill high on our list of all time favorite gourmet meals. Every course was fantastic and the ambiance was unbeatable. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I don' think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jesse T
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our first trip to Nevis but hopefully not the last! I highly recommend Montpelier. The property is serene; the food (super!) delicious; our room was spacious and bright; and the staff were friendly and helpful. I worried, prior to our trip, about not staying directly on the beach but the hotel's shuttle worked out great. Montpelier's beach is lovely and very quiet. Make sure to attend the beach bbq dinner and/or lunch -- what a treat! We stayed for a week and would have liked to stay much longer...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple