“Indian night very disappointing”

Mount Nevis Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Uk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Indian night very disappointing”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Heard about the Mexican night which sounded amazing and so went to the Indian night but turned out to be disappointing. For the amount we paid the portions were tiny and sadly lacking in flavour and meat. We had high hopes because we had heard that the chef was Indian but unfortunately left very dissatisfied with the main and dessert.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Islandlife123

Nevis West Indies
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Been coming to this beautiful resort for many years. Have had some lovely meals in the past so tried the restaurant for lunch recently with our visitors to drink in the magnificent view. Greeted with a fly infestation on the dining veranda, OK could be time of year....the Pina Coladas were watery and tasteless...Well actually tasted like the can the pineapple juice came in. No fruit visible. Lunch was uninspiring, iceberg lettuce, pale tomatoes and red onion in and on everything. The fresh basil salad lacked fresh basil- when we asked the waitress about the basil, she came out to show us the large plastic container of dried basil which was used. This dish was removed from our bill however it was disappointing. Spring rolls tasted like the kind found in frozen food section of grocery store....all cabbage. Presentation of everything lacked appeal.
What has happened to the once good food and creative menu? Spoke with management and they seemed receptive to our complaints and genuinely apologetic. Think I would replace the chef, in no way would a chef of quality send out such food under any circumstances.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank UpDeHill
Orchard Lake, Michigan, United States
“Outstanding Breakfast and a great Mexican Night dining experience”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The view from Mount Nevis hotel's restaurant, perched up about 250-300 feet above sea level, is gorgeous.

We enjoyed a couple breakfasts here -- very, very good -- great service and nice size well cooked portions.

On Mexican night, which starts with a complimentary shot of Tequila, our hostess and server Marva couldn't have done more and each of the courses in the prix fixe meal were excellent.

Totally enjoyable!

Visited December 2013
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing response to a poorly cooked meal - ruined our evening.”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My partner ordered a medium rare steak and I had a pork dish. When the meals arrived it became apparent quickly that the steak was overcooked - it almost strayed into the well done category. When this was pointed out to the staff there was no problem in them saying that they would replace it.

When the second steak arrived it looked fine when cut into - however, when my partner started to eat it, he found it was cold (yes, not even warm on the outside). The staff took it away once again. When it was returned it was hot (although probably cooked rather more than medium rare given that it had been reheated), but the vegetables were cold.

Of course, by the time my partner was eating I had long since finished my meal. My pork dish was all right - nice meat but rather heavy on the coating. This, however, is a matter of taste, so I have no real criticism of it.

When the maitre d' asked it we had enjoyed the meal I immediately said that we were unhappy that we had our meals at different times. He then asked what had happened, and we explained.
He was very apologetic and offered us complementary desserts. Actually I didn't particularly want a dessert, but accepted it as it was all that was on offer.

The desserts were very nice. However, the total cost of the 2 desserts was way less than half the cost of the unsatisfactory steak..

I am firmly of the opinion that mistakes will happen, and the way they are dealt with is a measure of how good a restaurant is. In this situation, if I were the manager of the restaurant the least I would have offered in compensation was not to charge for the steak - in fact I think maybe offering the whole meal free would have been appropriate, given that the evening was completely ruined.

As ever, the setting is wonderful and the waiting staff were great. However, as mentioned, I feel that the maitre d' or manager should have dealt with the problem in a much more appropriate way.

• Visited September 2013
“Mexican in the Caribbean”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Saturday night is Mexican fiesta night at mt nevis . The food was excellent and a lot of food for the price. The appetizer plate alone can serve as a meal and features a hot but pleasant jalapeño salsa. I followed with the tostada salad which is coated in a fresh vinegarette dressing .the mahi mahi in tomato sauce though was the star with the fish being super hot and fresh. This dish was served with retried beans and rice which complimented the fish well. The best part though was meeting many of the people including visitors and those who live on the island. Ended up making plans with some new friends this week.

• Visited August 2013