“Visit this resort!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Visit this resort!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I just got back from a week at this resort. We had trouble getting excited about all of the resorts we looked into in the Caribbean, but as soon as we found the FS Nevis we knew it was exactly what we were looking for, and it was.

In my opinion, the negative reviews are based on one persons unfortunate experience, but don't let it fool you. The scenery is amazing, the food is incredible and the staff are very nice and accommodating.

We were looking for a quiet and relaxing resort, if you are looking for partying and loud music, this isn't the place to go. If you are looking for a sprawling resort with plenty of opportunity for privacy with great food and drinks, this is the place.

Don't let me scare you away, there are numerous bars on the property that were fun at night, and during the day there are endless water sports (many of the complimentary) that will keep you busy. I rented a jet ski a few times (which costs) but paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayacking etc. are free.

The spa was great, the golf coarse is beautiful, and the pools follow suit. There's a private pool and beach area that are for adults only which was nice too.

Overall amazing time. All of the good reviews are true. I think this pace is a hidden gem.

Off resort tips: Eat at Coconut Grove, its very cool and great food. Take a sunset beach ride on horseback (with Nevis Equestrian center) We aren't horse people but this was definitely a highlight. The people were super nice and it was both of our first time on a horse, they made us feel like pros.

Room Tip: We saved some money by booking the mountain view room vs. water view or water front. In my opinion t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a great experience end of June - beginning of July. It was hot. Even the locals thought it was hot. But the weather was largely nice and we were in the water most of the time during the heat of the day. We had 2 connecting mountain view rooms that were spacious, clean and very comfortable. I can highly recommend the mountain view, but if you feel like you have to see the ocean from your room, get a second floor room. The grounds are immaculate and service staff ubiquitous, cheerful and helpful. Concierge service was very helpful. Our almost 7 year old used the Kids for all Seasons multiple times with positive results.
I strongly recommend taking jet service to St. Kitts and the Four Seasons ferry rather than the option of small plane direct to Nevis. The ferry service is excellent and gives your mind a chance to realize you're "not in Kansas anymore." Lot's of watersports things to do. We did scuba, paddle boarding, snorkeling, and golf. If you don't golf, do get a tour as seeing the monkeys is interesting and the views from up on the mountain are great. While you could spend all your time on the resort, do at least wander down the beach towards town. Sunshines is a fun place for a drink and has surprisingly good food (the servers are very honest about what's best that night). This resort is not inexpensive, but if you want an experience where everything is done right and everyone wants to accommodate your wishes, you're looking at the right place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Roger M
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights 4th of July weekend. We are a gay couple and inspite of mixed reviews about this island and how they treat gay couples, we were pleased by our experience. It was absolutely amazing. We asked for a romantic experience and arrived in our suite the first night to find it decorated with candles and rose petals. An absolutely phenomenal stay. Strongly recommend you stay here if you want a great experience and friendly people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oceanguyjamie
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Pretty much our worst four seasons experience ever. My wife and I went here for four nights on vacation. After the first night we were told that someone below us complained about noise. The funny thing is we were not even in the room, we were out to dinner, but when the front desk staff approached my wife they did not even ask her what happened. They just automatically blamed my wife for being loud and really made her feel uncomfortable. This was not how our previous four seasons experience had ever been. I spoke to the manager and he told me he would make it right, but nothing was done. They also have a one device free wifi policy, however, I was charged 20 per day and told that we used more than one device which was not true as well. I do not know how they do it in Nevis but where we are from you are innocent until proven guilty. Not worth the $900.00 per night. We will never go back to this property again.

7 Thank kannaloro
Ed_Gannon, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear kannaloro,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience. I was very sorry to hear how uncomfortable you and your wife were made to feel. I appreciate the time you took to discuss the experience with me. I am glad we were able to connect. I hope to be able to assist you again in the future.

Warm Regards,
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location and staff. We had a wonderful time. Snorkeling at he rocks was excellent. We viewed sea turtles, a sting ray, squid, lobster and many beautiful fish. I would recommend this property to anyone looking to relax and be pampered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gdewolf
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Overall this resort was a wonderful relaxing place to stay. The FS has it's own boats and dock. One boat is smaller and faster but not airconditioned inside (about a 45 min ride). The other is slower, but is nicer and air conditioned inside (about 1hr +). They make the St.Kitts airport, transfer to the boat and check in at the hotel truly stress free and seamless. Once you give them your luggage at the airport, you don't have to touch it again until it reaches your room. I think it was $65 charge for the transportation.

On arrival we were greeted and taken to our room. As we were escorted to our room, It seemed like quite a walk. The women showing us to our room kept saying, " it's just a bit farther". We were in cottage #10, Saddle Hill. The farthest you could be and be on FS property. The 2 story cottages are numbered #1 - 10, all ocean front. # 11&12 are mountain/golf view. While the quiet and seclusion are nice, the constant walking to and from everything got bothersome quickly. If you go to the Great House it's 1/2 way across the resort Located betweenCottages # 5 & 6. The spa,tennis,sports center are on the complete opposite end of the property. All water sports activities are also on the other side of the Great House. I would guess at least a 1/2 mile walk. Doing this multiple times a day became a chore. Highly recommend a cottage in the more central part - 4,5 or 6,7.

You can request a golf cart pick you up and bring you anywhere on the property. We did this once. After waiting 5 minutes past our requested pickup time, we started walking (me, in high heels). The cart met us as we walked. We got in and were driven, rather fast, backwards (wind blowing hair every which way) until he backed up to the next building over and turned around.

The breakfast at Neve is fabulous. The breakfast buffet ($39) has everything you can imagine. Including a fresh fruit and vegetable blender bar,the usual omelet station,bacon,sausage,potatoes, pancake station (don't miss the hot apple fritters), pastry and breads Yogurts, granolas,nuts,fruits. There is also a section of European breakfast items. Small sandwiches, meats, cheeses...

All meals have a 15% gratuity added as well as a 12% tax. Meals delivered to your room, pool or beach side also have an additional $5.00 delivery fee. Sure adds a lot to the already expensive food prices.

The room was nice and the bathroom large. The two sinks are great. It also has a lighted makeup mirror. Always appreciated. Our view, while second floor, we were unable to see the ocean because of trees blocking our view. Not a great view.

Great in room coffee maker. Surprising to say, they did not have any complementary tea service in the room. Only coffee was provided. I found it very odd for a FS resort. Even much lower quality hotels provide tea. Which I drink in the morning.
You will also not find the usual, chocolate during turndown service. Just the little touches make a statement. For a FS resort I found the extra's missing. As an example, in the Great House, there is a table with 3 large containers with water. Cups,tops and straws. Most occasions passing through or waiting for a taxi, I would stop in for a water. At least 75% of the time either there was no water, no cups or no straws. Even though there were many workers milling about, no one seemed to notice. The staff while (mostly) friendly were not overly helpful. Each day I headed to the beach, only to find no chairs set up. One day I walked over to 3 staffers chatting, asking if I could get help putting up the umbrella and getting a towel. Not first class service by any means. I have been to many resorts that either have the towels and umbrella set up in the morning, or when they see you walk onto the beach, THEY seek you out with a towel set up. Not here. Each time I went to the beach I had to walk and find someone to set up the chair and towel. Again, it's the small things. They were helpful in bringing cold water pitchers or small sample sorbet, really appreciated. But even this was spotty. Somedays you would see someone, other day's not. One day room was made up but no towels were replaced. Had to call before showering for the evening.

A big plus that I did not see mentioned on the FS site. Each cottage has a complimentary washer and dryer. It's located next to the ice machine. They have detergent there for you to use. No charge. For active people, this was great to be able to wash workout wear. Wish I had known before going. We would have packed less clothing.

The walking/fitness trails are great. You will see many monkeys on the red course. It's a scenic great way to get some exercise. The gym is above average. Lots of equipment and space. Treadmills and ellipticals with tv's. They have towels,water,and headphones to use. The refrigerator with cold minted face towels were a really nice thing to look forward to. Unfortunately, again they were not there on a number of days.

The water sports have plenty of equipment. You can use anything without a motor for free anytime. They have SUP, kayaks, small sunfish, big wheels. You can rent ski doo's or they will pull you on a tube, banana ect.. Good equipment selection and helpful people. If you don't know how to use something, they will give a lesson.

We watched World Cup from the beach bar at Cabana a number of days, Michael, the bartender was great. The lunch was very good. Loved the black bean burger.

Don't miss dinner at Mango's. It's a beautiful spot to have dinner on the water and the food was fabulous. It was my favorite dinner on Nevis. We also had very good dinners at Banana's and Coconuts. For a very casual dinner, Sunshine's was good. Yes, the Killer Bee's were great. My husband said his fish there was the best. The sunset and view from Bananas rooftop bar was great.

We did a mountain hike with Reggie, scheduled through the FS. It was a fun hike. Reggie was very knowledgeable about the mountain. Not too strenuous, but there were some spots you needed ropes to climb up.

The FS is very good at maintaining the grounds. Countless people are employed every day tending the grounds and they are kept spotless and beautiful.

All in all, we loved that Nevis is an unspoiled island and the FS such a beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Cottages closest to Great House(4,5,6,7), if you don't want to walk far to everything. Second fl...
5 Thank GAAtltravel
Toronto
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall Impression: Gorgeous luxurious resort. My wife and I spend 8 days here and fell in love with the island of Nevis. We have stayed at a few Four Seasons Resorts around the world and this hotel offers a comparable high quality vacation experience. The Food is terrific, the spa is delightful, the location and beach lovely, and the staff aim to please. All in all, a very good vacation option for those inclined to indulge. The only possible caveat is cost. This is not a cheap vacation.

Rooms: Very clean, well air-conditioned, well appointed, roomy decent amenities (separate tub, separate shower, separate lavatory, double sink). We stayed in a suite but the deluxe rooms offer no less amenity. I recommend the deluxe room. Save the extra $ for spa or dinner.

Service: Generally terrific. The resort is amply staffed. All are extremely pleasant and eager to please. Only on one occasion did we find the staff to be a bit slow (we were made to wait a bit to upgrade our room after a very long travel day) but other than that, all experiences were nothing short of accommodating.

Check in: Seamless. You get boated in to the private FS dock where you are greeted by a dedicated staff member who walks you directly to your room. No waiting, no fuss. You arrive and go straight to your room. I loved that. Had we not wasted our time upgrading our room, it would have been perfect.

Spa: I'm not really a spa guy but I did have a massage and attended the spa with my wife. She loved it and my massage was good. Facilities were clean and relaxing. I think most would be very pleased with the spa.

Golf: I didn't golf because it was unbearably hot. The course looked nice but I heard the grounds were not that well maintained and I heard that staff drove, or tolerated, carts on the green. The 18th hole is apparently spectacular. My impression is golf is not necessarily the big draw for this resort. Costs $190 pp and does not include cart. For the $ we decided to take a tour of the island instead (Funky Monkey!!)

Food: Good to Very good. We love food and were not disappointed. The main restaurant is the Coral Grill. It is elegant and offers typical upscale fare. There is also a pool/patio bar which offers a more casual experience for slightly less $. The best restaurant is Mango. Definitely a highlight. Great Seafood and the restaurant sits right up on the beach. From a far we thought the restaurant was average so we never made a reservation until the last night. We were sorry we took so long to visit. It is truly magical. The surf, the sunset, the beautiful Caribbean decor all work together to offer a tropical culinary retreat. I wish we could have dined here one more time. They offer a whole snapper. If you go, get this. The presentation is remarkable. Everyone marveled as waitresses served up these enormous, deep-fried delicacies about the restaurant. Delicious too. My wife got one. I chose surf and turf. Was also wonderful. My only complaint was the wine. Generally the climate is not hospitable for wine storage. I found most wine tart (sour) from oxidizing. Frankly the cheaper screw top bottles tasted better as they do not breath like corks permit. In this case cheaper was better! Mango also offer 100 different kinds of rum, and rum tastings. Pretty cool.

Pools: There are 3 pools, one of which was an adult pool. It was quiet and we were able to relax with no annoying guests conducting business from their cell phone. One day we spent at the regular pool. Although there were children, we were not disturbed.

Guests: The resort was only half full and all guests seemed to share a peaceful non-intrusive enjoyment of the facilities. No loud drunk guests at adjacent dinner tables, no screaming children at the pool, no obnoxious cell-phone abusers, or loud talkers. There were singles, couples, families, and everyone seemed conscientious and respectful of the other guests. The resort is huge so it is easy to find peace, relaxation and solitude. Keep in mind, we visited in low season.

MUST SEE:
'Bananas' for dinner. It is a rural Nevis restaurant half way up the mountain, built in an old wooden home, 5 minutes from FS. Food is top notch but no cheaper than FS. We went twice we loved it so much. They also have a patio on the roof with a BREATHTAKING view down to the ocean.

Golden Rock Plantation. It has been restored and is now a boutique hotel and restaurant. It must have been built by some 18th century billionaire it is so extravagent. Go for lunch or at least visit. it's open to the public.

Last but not least, there is another sugar plantation called Hermitage. They offer a pig roast on Wednesdays. We went and loved it. I was expecting some low-end beach feast. I was wrong. I was delighted with authentic cuisine, and it was magical to dine in a 400 year old English home. Authentic and romantic. Do not miss this.

Honorable Mention
We enjoyed The Yachsman restaurant in Hamilton Beach (5 min from FS). Its kind of like English pub meets the Caribbean. quaint, on the beach, good food. Reasonable too.

Next door to the Yachtsman is Coconut Grove Restaurant. very good food and a gorgeous setting on the beach. They also have a refrigerated wine cellar so you can get a decent bottle that hasn't been spoiled by the hot climate.

TIPS
We took a tour of the island with Funky Monkey Tours (operated by Greg the same guy that owns the Yachtsman). I recommend taking the tour. You really get a great overview of the island. "Neil" took us for the day. Wonderful guy and he did a great job. I suggest doing this early in your vacation so you can see the sites and decide where you wish to spend more time during your vacation.

Next to the FS resort are three little venues: Lime, Sunshines, and Double Deuce. Lime is a bar and has great live music on Fridays. We visited and enjoyed it. Sunshines has good cheap food but the real draw here is their "Killer Bees". Most good restaurants/bars offer a rum punch. This one is supposed to be the best. I tried it and agree. PLEASE NOTE they are HIGHLY alcoholic. I had three and was under the table. Im a big guy. dont have more than 2. They are wonderful though. Double Deuce apparently has the best burgers. I never tried it but more than a few Nevis regulars recommended DD so I pass this info along.

You can walk into Charlestown from the FS. Takes only 15 minutes and is worth a quick visit. Not much to see in town but it's interesting enough. There is a very old cemetery there worth visiting.

Hot Springs: The hot springs are not a spa. it is open to the general public and is a historical site. we didnt go because it is already so hot there. If they had a cold springs, we would have gone for sure.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the Big House. We stayed in a suite but saw the regular rooms. The regular rooms...
10 Thank bnb-toronto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
The Mount Nevis Hotel
Ocean Terrace Inn
#2 of 5 in Basseterre
Nisbet Plantation Beach Club
St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino

Been to Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies? Share your experiences!