“Beautiful Island. Inadequate Resort”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Palm Island

More attraction details
Owner description: This small island has recently become a popular resort destination with great beaches.
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Beautiful Island. Inadequate Resort”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

First the positive. Palm Island is in a gorgeous location with a beautiful beach and surrounding waters. It is also in close proximity to Tobago Cays, which is specia

However, The resort leaves alot to be desired. Many corners cut.

The beach is beautiful. But only 2 days out of 9 was there anyone serving drinks on the beach.

The food was good. Portions at dinner were small. There was no selection of breads. Just the same tiny roll every day. Service was slow. Water glass frequently ran empty.

If you are going there for water sports. Don't bother. There is 1 attendant who is absent 1-11/2 hrs mid day. The Hobie Cats were on a steep sand bar & required 2 guest's assistance to get it in and out of the water.

There is no supervision of the guests in the water. One day, I had to alert the property that 2 guests on a Kayak were in trouble and it took 5 minutes for any response. Likewise, No extra large life vests and only 2 large ones. In my opinion, this is totally inadequate. The snorkeling on the island was poor. The equipment is old & needs replacement. I brought my own. But my friends snorkel kept filling up with water.

The Yannis Catamaran is a great excursion to Mayreau & Tobago Cays. But incredibly slippery. My friend fell & injured his lower back. If you go, find out ahead of time what non slip foot gear you would be allowed to wear.

Sea Grapes room were spacious. Ground level rooms are water front with water views obstructed by bushes and trees. Room had safe with key and was not bolted down.

A tree in path to the bathroom impinged on the walkway. It is not illuminated at night. There are notches in the trunk for all the times people hit their heads. I suffered a minor concussion from walking in to it one night. Tree ought to be taken down or path repaved so that is not a hazard to patrons! (See picture).

If you do choose to visit Palm Island, make sure you obtain Inter- Island flights right away. A passport number will be required. Communication with my travel agent was poor & and the normal flight to Union was booked. The resort offered to fly us to Canaoun & 60 minute boat tranfer getting us there 2 hours later. Thankfully, a friend advised me the waters are rough and it would be unpleasant. Instead, we chose to spend a night in Barbados and arrive a day later. As it turns out, the boat from Canaoun broke. A new boat had to be sent & those guests arrived at 1 AM.

We has 2 blackouts during our stay. Last year their generators burnt out and the entire island was evacuated!

When you register, you sign a general waiver (not just for water sports) releasing the resort from any liability for injury. I've never experienced that anywhere.

If you choose to visit Palm Island, be warned..Do so at your own risk!

17 Thank WellTraveledNewYork

Parker, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Anniversary Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

This by far was the best anniversary present! Palm Island is gorgeous! The people that work for the resort were so incredible. They were ALL truly invested in making your stay warm, welcoming and fun, but most of all took pride in their work. Horace the general manager was very accommodating and so personable. Grafton and Shanique went out of their way to make our meals enjoyable, and Kendol never missed a beat with providing us beverages. We enjoyed the beaches, snorkeling and atmosphere on the island. The food was delicious, the rooms kept very clean with personal touches, and the beaches were beautifully maintained (Thank you Antonio for your warm smile in the mornings as you raked up the fallen leaves). We will forever be grateful for this experience, the friends we made, and all those that made it so special.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Michelle J
Winder, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“WONDERFUL honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Well we just got back from a wonderful honeymoon! Palm Island was beautiful and super relaxing!
I'll start from the beginning:
3 hour delay in Miami replacing a part. This caused us to miss our connceting flight from Barbados to Union Island. I called Palm Island to tell them- they already knew! The whole time we were traveling they were in touch with their rep in Barbados and when we finally got off the plane Sharon was waiting for us! She was a dream. She had our vouchers waiting for us- and put us on a Sun Tour taxi that took us to the Accra Hotel in Barbados. We had a wonderful "detour"! The next morning Sharon was waiting for us again to help us get checked in and board the inter island flight.
Finally we arrived in paradise. For six days we put the "r" in relaxed. Breakfast was my fav meal! The coffee is great and the choices are wonderful. I enjoyed watching the birds come in- and the iguanas were a trip. The huge lizards are really neat! We loved taking the bikes around the island. We did a TON of shade sitting on the beautiful beach and on our porch. The room was wonderful. The bed was wonderful- we slept a ton! I loved the robes- I got in that sucker every afternoon and took a nap! LOL Now to the food-
I read a ton of reviews saying how the food sucked and the portions were small. NOT AT ALL! All three meals were huge portions and put me into a "food coma" each time. Dinner was great- appetizer,entree and desert each night. The drinks were great. Champagne, wine and any mixed drink your heart desired. I loved the local beer Hairoun. Grafton was a great server! AMERICANS regarding service: remember you are on island time! Don't fret if it takes a few minutes for your beer or your breakfast- where do you have to be? LOL Slow down!
I had a WONDERFUL massage by Veronica at the spa. She was a delight. We had dinner at the heart which was private and romantic. We took a trip on the Yannis which was my husbands favorite. The staff on the boat were very professional and cooked a wonderful lunch on the boat. We loved playing shuffleboard. The husband was still able to watch the Ga Bulldog game in the media room. ( GO DAWGS!) I was very impressed with Horace. Very professional- I thought it was really neat he graduated from Cornell in Ithica NY. All together this place is wonderful. St. Vincent and the Grenadines is a wonderful place to go. Paradise.
The only negatives I have- (nothing to do with Palm Island)
If you "don't fly well" I recommend visting your doc and getting a perscription for something to chill ya out. LOL
I was TERRIFIED. It is a small plane- I have never been in anything like it. There was no air- once you get going there are vents that keep the inside cool with air from outside. I truly have never wanted out of something so bad. Guess I am an awful travler. I welcomed the huge jet in Barbados. LOL
I have only been out of the country one other time- this trip is not for anyone who hates to travel. It took us a full day of travel to get home. (we live in Georgia. ) Lots of immigration stops.
Other than that- go here. Its wonderful.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Claire V
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Uncharted paradise waiting to be discovered.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This resort is phenomenal. It's hard to get to but the trip in itself is a dream as you see the main island in addition to flying over the other small islands. Absolutely gorgeous beaches, local food, excellent entertainment in addition to a wonderful cultural experience. This is an island and resort that will highlight one of the best trips ever in your lifetime. Stay more than a week you'll experience even more. Day trips to nearby islands, local markets, exploring on your own or even a catamaran tour will keep you coming back. All in all a must see island, a must stay resort and an excellent value. 5 stars.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alex M
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How to unwind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We wanted to say a big thank you to the team at Palm Island resort. The holiday from start to finish was the holiday of a lifetime we had hoped for - we visited in Aug for my wife's 50th birthday with my 2 daughters of 18 & 22. The experience of actually getting to the island was all part of the unique experience and one not to forget. From the greeting by Horace and the team with Rum punch on the dock on arrival to the same personal farewell when we left, the personal touch made the holiday. Things not to miss are the trip to Tobago cays on the pink lady - swimming with the turtles was described by my 18 year old daughter as one of the best days in her life! Thank you Anthony for your concern as i fell off the kayak - it really was intentional - honest!
Things to change? none! Things not to change - No TV's as this further allowed total unwinding from the real world - great idea! Not sure when we will be back but we certainly will be at some point and the fact this is the first place I have really said this about says all that is needed. Stayed in the island loft and being able to lie back in bed with the double doors open looking out across to union island with the only sound that of the ocean was awesome! Thank you Horace and team - especially Anthony and Alex (who my daughters I think wanted to take home with them) & Margaret all of whose smiles lit up the day! Adults only added to the total unwind feeling so don't come here if you want to party hard but DO if you want total relaxation and unwinding.

Visited August 2013