“Beach / Day Stop”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in St. Vincent
LONDON
“Beach / Day Stop”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Probably unfair to write a review on this establishment as my trip was for merely a day, but you don't get returners if you don't make the right first impression. Everything seems to be ticking over with no real energy about the place / people. That said the beach is OK (and certainly less crowded than Villa beach just a short water taxi ride away). Bar prices and food were ok but nothing about the place says ' this is the place to be (unless you're on a cruise and your taken there - seemed to be the case for many on the beach)'. Many seem to like it and, as I said, one day is not much exposure, but on first impressions I'll seek out alternate options.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RandRI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

This trip was our second to Young Island and was just as amazing and wonderful as our first (a year ago). We extended our stay to nine nights vs. the seven nights the first time. Still not enough!!!!! I am a fifty year old professional with a demanding career and a teenager at home. I am well traveled in the U.S., Caribbean and Western Europe. I do enjoy the finer things in life and am convinced I didn't travel to this wonderful island until now because I wouldn't have appreciated it when I was younger. When I travel now to "relax", it is extremely difficult to find a place where you can truly do that. No phones (do yourself a favor and keep your cell turned off), no TV and the most beautiful, natural unspoiled surroundings you will ever find. I also recommend if you are traveling as a "couple" - do yourself another favor - leave the kids at home - they will survive. The cottages are all lovely in their own way and very clean. The staff cannot do enough for you and I cannot even imagine some of the things happening that people have posted here. I do look to trip advisor for people's opinions but have never written a review before because quite frankly, I do not have the time. After reading the previous post upon my return home, I had to register for a trip advisor account so I could share my thoughts. I will return to this Nirvana every year as long as they don't change a thing. We will return next January for two weeks since 9 nights wasn't enough of this heaven on earth. Yes, it is a little pricey, but worth every penny especially when you have stressful lives back home and you need to unwind and not be bothered or harassed by vendors. The food is 5 star all the way and I'm not just talking about the bread. We get the meal plan and do not leave the island our entire visit and it is fabulous. To Bianca, James, Christopher, Carlos, Laura, Cheryl and the always happy smiling ferry driver - we thank all of you for your high standard of service and maintaining the beauty of Young Island. To everyone reading this, if you really need a break from it all, go to Young Island and stay as long as your life and wallet permits - you will not be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Phyllis G
Spaxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were due to stay 16 nights, would have left after 3 but for some delightful people we meet so stayed 7 nights. We have been looking forward to this place for a month or so but it was not as expected.The island is up for sale and it would seem there is a huge lack of investment and the uncertainty is rubbing off on the staff. The cottage we had #6 was dirty the general overall condition was to say the least very tatty, The linen and towelling was a mismatched and not as you would expect from a property making claims to be a luxury resort and charging accordingly. Most of the staff ( a few exceptions ) were long faced and in most cases very unfriendly, and to get a coffee with lunch or dinner it was necessary to order as you placed your dessert order. To say that they just wanted to see you leave the restaurant would be an understatement. On one occasion at breakfast where last orders were at 10am we were told to leave at 10.15am so they could set the tables for lunch. In general the food was very good, breakfast a small menu and lunch the same menu for 7 days, this would be fine if the menu was a large selection, but 2 starters, 1 soup, 1 salad and 3 main courses are not what you would expect from an supposed 4/5 star property. Again I must say that the food was good.With an all inclusive resort I would not have expected to be told that about 40% of the cocktails were chargeable, yes if I were drinking Dom or Crystal but not margaritas etc. There were a few very pleasant staff members one in particular was James and also the ferryman. Beach bar open on only 1 day, took 3 days to get snorkeling equipment. Just too many things were not right but if you feel that you want to go, well it's your choice, some people seem to like it, I am a little more fussy!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Mike D
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Outstanding experience. If you really want to get away from it all, this is the place. Located in St. Vincent in the Grenadines, it is plush by comparison to other hotels in the area. I would recommend bringing but spray as it is truly an island--with beautiful mountains and some critters. Your room is in a tree house type environment. The food is excellent and service is outstanding. There are no TV's or a fitness center, but plenty of hammocks!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MKV3533
Kingstown, St. Vincent
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The last review I wrote for this property was almost 10 years ago when hubs and I got married there! Therefore another review is warranted.

Since that time, we have retired and moved to St.Vincent. We enjoy popping over to Y.I. either for a lovely supper, to spend a day, or for special occasions, a night or two.

Our favorite cottage is #3. It is right on the beach; the sea is literally just a few steps from the door. It has a secluded sitting area and a great covered hammock. The pool is close-by as are the outdoor eating areas. The cottage itself is breezy and cool and has everything you might need; a fridge, a king sized bed, big closet, a desk and of course the ''famous" outdoor shower. Soap and shampoo are provided as are beach towels.

The food at Y.I. has never disappointed us, and I am very particular when it comes to food. The dishes are changed frequently and are presented with artistic flare. Their home baked breads are still being served and are sinfully delicious.

Staff at Y.I. are some of the best on the Island. They are friendly and gracious without being in your face or artificially over friendly. Same goes for the management and front desk staff.

Do walk around this little isle and become familiar with the local flora and fauna. If you're lucky you may get to see the family of agoutis. Have a chat with the (near extinction) Vincy parrots they have near the office. They provide a great wake up call on most mornings! The view from top of the isle is just lovely. And if you're lucky, you can witness some magnificent sunsets on Sunset Point.

Y.I. is the perfect destination for those who want to de-stress and simply relax. Ther is no TV, no hyped up animation staff, no organized activities. Having said that, should you wish to do some sightseeing, diving, or spend time on a sailboat, the staff will be more than happy to assist you with this.

The only complaint I want to make from our last visit was the noise from the ''mainland''. Unfortunately, there is a rather LOUD Kareoke bar right across the channel. Sound carries wonderfully well over water. We could hear every word from every horrible song that the patrons ''sang''. This noise went on until 3am. Add to that the constant, relentless barking of the island's numerous, heartbreakingly sad stray dogs, and well...bring earrplugs or perhaps one of the cottages further up the hill would be a bit quieter at night.

Please feel free to email me or message me via Tripadvisor. Since we live on the island I may be able to answer some of your questions that other travellers may not.

Room Tip: Cottages 3-6 are right on the beach.However, much of the beach near cottage 6 and beyond has been de...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ivona B
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

On a recommendation of a friend we travelled to Young Island. On arrival at the small pier that takes you over to this idyllic place you get you first view of this very special island. As you step onto the island you are greeted with a welcoming rum punch and taken to reception to carry out the basic formalities. You are delivered to your cottage and so the relaxation begins.

Your every need is taken care of and if there is anything you require it is no problem for the wonderful staff to acquire it for you.

The pool is only to be described as swimming in a lovely warm bath surrounded by an abundance of beautiful trees, plants, flowers and very relaxing. You are only a few yards from the sea if that's what you prefer.

On the beach you have the choice of sun beds, shaded hammocks, water sports equipment and a swim-up bar.

There is very good selection of food which is beautifully prepared by the resident chefs and delivered to your table with a smile by the wonderful staff. The homemade ice creams and sorbets change daily and are to die for. Every meal is accompanied by a choice of freshly baked (and often still warm) bread. The varieties include coconut and cinnamon which were particular favourites with our kids.

If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing place to escape from it all then look no further. Visit Young Island.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sandy M
Miller Place, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2013

been to young 3 times it is a beautiful private island. the food is great the rooms are clean the night life is limited unless u go across to st.vincent. the grenadines r not to be missed they are the true caribbean.take a sail away and go island hoping.

Room Tip: room 22 sunset point
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 10 in Bequia
Mariners Hotel
Mariners Hotel
#8 of 17 in St. Vincent

Been to Young Island Resort? Share your experiences!