“You won't get any closer to bats naturally any other way”
Review of Bat Cave

Ranked #16 of 55 things to do in St. Vincent
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkelers can see hundreds of bats that make their home on the roof of this narrow cave.
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

It was actually a dive with Indigo dive (fantastic team). Need to be a little cautious of the swells and rocks but the bats fly just over your head as you swim through. Keep reg in as surface water may be a little 'mucky'. Come through gap then break surface and head down to lovely opening of small corals, colourful fish with great visibility :-)

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Fun distraction from the typical snorkel menu. You will see lots of bars up close. At one point the bars are about 18" from the water line at high tide.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My Norweigan neighbor took me to a cove, that I had to cut us into with my cutlass. It used to be an eco-resort. The snorkelling was really good because the water was crystal clear. Then we moved to the next cove, and swam from there to the Bat Cave. I was a little anxious the first time through, but he encouraged me to do it again, and it was more wonderous the second time. We were lucky the seas were relatively calm and even though it is quite narrow, and pitch black for several seconds in the middle, I could just let the ocean guide me through, without touching anything. The bats though, were disturbed by our intrusion, and flying around in the cave. They say 'take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints' but usually, your mere presence disturbs the local wildlfe. Petit Byahut, and Byahut, are the two coves we swam in, next door to Buccament, and its resort. It was a lot of swimming for one day for me. Other people might find it too much. We have at least cut a trail, if you want to follow in our footsteps to two very private coves, and a swim to the Bat Cave.

1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at Buccament Bay, very close to the cave. The local company, Indigo Dive, took us out in kayaks to the entrance, and then took us through. It was an amazing experience - two species inhabit the cave: the Fisherman bat and the Fruit bat. The Fisherman bat is quite large and you could seem them flying through the cave above. It's quite narrow so you have to pull yourself through by hand.

Out the other side you can see three different types of rock formations, all produced from the volcanic creation of the island.

This is well worth a visit and Indigo were very helpful and knowledgeable.

2  Thank Raz_Khan