“Very friendly, helpful, cute hotel”
Review of Mariners Hotel

Mariners Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. Vincent
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here pre-sailing excursion around the Grenadines and were very impressed with the friendly courteous staff, the gorgeous views, the nice restaurant and the general feeling of the hotel. Our flight was delayed coming in and we missed our first night - they were very accommodating in our situation and made a long travel end on a very nice note. It's not a large hotel but has cute grounds, nice rooms, wonderful staff and good food. There is a small beach that we swam and snorkeled from, a small pool which our daughter loved, comfortable rooms with good shower and nice view of the beach and Young Island across the way. Food is very good (though dinner is pretty expensive). They are very accomodating if you take a sail excursion for the boat to drop you off and pick you up there. Can't say enough good about the friendly staff. Would definitely stay there again if back in St Vincent again.

Room Tip: Veranda with beach view is wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Wonderful setting, ocean front dining, and the food was superb. I had Tuna Tartare to start, followed by Poached Salmon in a Zucchini Sauce with Baked Aubergine, Roasted Pumpkin and Steamed Rice. To finish, Exotic Fruits flavoured with Rum, with a Vanilla Ice Cream. Washed down with 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio. Lovely, would definitely come back

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie G
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Mariners Hotel and had dinner at The French Verandah. When you enter there is a bar area which also serves as the control centre for the hotel. It is never locked but there are always security and staff there even in the early hours of the morning. The bar has just about every beverage and then some. The main dining area is open and you can walk on the beach. Just be careful, the waiters don't like you taking sand into the restaurant. It's easy, just walk around the building and there is a swimming pool and foot rinsing. Then you just come back in through the front entrance. The view is nice and you can sit here all evening, watch the sun go down etc.

I couldn't decide whether to have the conch fritters or the lobster so I had both. I hope my rheumatologist does not read this or I will be in big trouble! By the way, the banana split is humungous; if you are watching your figure, you might consider splitting your plate in half or thirds.

Even if you are staying at the Mariner Inn at the Mooring/ Sunsail/ Footloose base, I would recommend dining here.

This review relates specifically to The French Verandah. I will the review Mariners Hotel separately.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank not_johntan
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The food is great, we went two times while we stayed on st vincent, there aren't many restaurants to choose from on the island but rest assured this is one of the best. The creme brulee is a must!!!! One of the best I ever tasted, pork ribs were excellent too!

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 12 February 2013

What can I say....hmmm?!! This place was great! The staff are amazing and polite, which can be difficult at times when traveling in the Caribbean. From the reception staff (Crystal is great and very professional) to the ladies and gentlemen who work on the property and/or at the restaurant The French Verandah. French Verandah staff: Patrianne (love her), she's warm and welcoming, Ron (very fun), Harry (bartender and super pleasant) and Shawn (who owns the restaurant is absolutely knowledgeable and a great guy). I stayed for 6 days and wished I could've stayed longer. Not far from town and the bus (which are decorative vans) are easy to find and use to get around. I'll be returning in April, and without question, staying at Mariners!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 400's are off to the side....and offer a little privacy as far as location, but the...
Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank IntlGal77
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was excellent for our stay the night after we disembarked from our week on a catamaran. The restaurant is well-versed in French cuisine, and the sunset is gorgeous! I can't comment on all amenities since we stayed only one night. Pool looked clean and few people were in it which is nice. We used the i-net for a bit to check in at home; computer room had several terminals, AC was nice and cool, clean, etc. Rooms were decent, nothing fancy, but not shabby or old. They were cool, clean, and quiet. It was a bit of a drive into town, but town is pretty noisy so it is more peaceful to be farther off. We would happily stay again on another sailing trip!

*Beware of the local taxi-minivans filled with people headed to town. They are dirt cheap but the drivers are terrifying with crazy speeds and turns like a rollercoaster. I am proud to say I tried it and survived, but they really ought to sell T-shirts to this effect so you have some motivation to step onboard again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Boombafam
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We did not stay at the Mariners hotel,but walked down to the restaurant for dinner. Despite being peak season we easily got a table. The restaurant overlooks the beach, but as it was dark, you could not see the sea, but you do get a great view of Young island.

We had a reasonably good meal. I ordered from the main menu and my other half wanted a pizza. The waitress said they were big, but to be honest it was a pretty small pizza. Not a great choice, but my fish was very nice.
Unless you are in Italy or have a real wood fired pizza oven, it's not a great idea to order pizza!!
Service was good and food was fine . I'm not raving about this restaurant, but everything was quite good.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple