“Lovely meal, give it a try! ”
Review of Stables View

Stables View
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Dowlais
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

4 of us visited on Saturday night for a meal and a few drinks. Between us we had the gammon, hunters chicken and lasagne...all were really nice and the chunky chips were a big hit! Desserts were also equally nice - the restaurant has new owners but I can honestly say I enjoyed the food as much as I did when Declan was there. It may be under new ownership & the new owners are probably finding their way but I’m a firm believer in giving something a chance and we were not disappointed - thanks for a lovely meal

TheStablesView, Owner at Stables View, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Many thanks for your kind supportive remarks - much appreciated

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Sad really ..... When meals ,starters, mains and desserts are already pre ordered a month in advance (including choice of sides). They should have been far more organised and prepared for a party of 20 people. But the consistency of meals being delivered to the table was shocking. I had members of the party finishing food before others had even started their meals. To the point one family member waited 30 minutes after everyone else had finished before they had their meal. (Truth)
My anxiety levels were through the roof after putting so much effort into organising this and an additional cost of paying for someone to decorate the room and tables for a 18th birthday. (And before a comment is made about being under the influence of alcohol) i had one glass. As I was far to busy helping to get the meals to the tables.

Not at one point did anyone come and check on us / ask if everything was ok or if we needed anything.
I had No apology from the owner. Or any communication with him apart from when he was approached by myself with my concerns. (a bottle of champagne was sent/brought in not by a member of staff) by my brother as an apology. His responses was extremely poor when myself and family members approached him about the length of time the food was taking to be served.
(Starters 7.30pm -desserts 10pm) to the point we actually thought we weren’t going to have dessert.
Quality of food was of a good standard but seasonal veg should consist of more than just peas.
And food should be served with sides and sauces together.

4  Thank Ruth K
TheStablesView, Owner at Stables View, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Oh please !!! Old news and vindictive (event was 17 July) I have already responded to this review via Facebook and will
not dignify any further commentary - rise above it and move on - I certainly have

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We were a group of 18 from a Retirement Club here for the Afternoon Tea.
The room was beautifully decorated and we all enjoyed the tea which was great value for money at £15 for 2 people.
Can recommend it.

TheStablesView, Owner at Stables View, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Many thanks Cheryl - your support is really appreciated

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Alarm bells should have rung when on booking for eight people we were asked for a deposit of £40. Before visiting we found out that the restaurant had changed hands and checked out the reviews. If it hadn't been for the fact that we had paid a deposit I would have cancelled. However, in spite of the poor reviews decided to go with open minds. Staff were in short supply that night and owner was quite stretched. He took our order and then made many trips back to the table to tell us all the items that weren't available - only 1 sea bass, only enough new potatoes for 2 people, only one bottle of Chenin Blanc, no pate and oddly no mustard. If I am being polite food was 'alright', definitely nothing special with people who had mashed potato saying that they thought it was frozen mash not fresh mash. Prices were a little high for what was being served with gammon, egg and chips coming in at £13.95 - most I've ever paid for that menu choice. Owner told us he has had the restaurant since November - enough time fo sort out teething problems I would have thought. I went to Stables a few times over the years when Declan owned the restaurant and it was usually fully booked. The food was fresh, tasty and plentiful. Declan would always take a little off the bill or throw in a bottle of wine if it was someone's birthday or anniversary. I think it now needs a good chef and stock levels to be sorted out or to reduce the menu size. Owner told us that he likes to take menu choices when people book so that food can be bought in readiness. Restaurants do not work like this. I might feel like fish when I book the restaurant but on the night I might want pie and mash! Good luck to the new owner I hope he sorts out current problems.

4  Thank bdavies20
TheStablesView, Owner at Stables View, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Firstly - deposits and pre-orders for groups in the restaurant industry is commonplace. It is a policy of the previous owner and will remain so. As for low stock - Had you provided a pre-order which no one else seems to have a problem with, you would have received everything you wanted.- Pre-orders facilitate the catering and when people book communication is a 2- way street. Some items were deliberately run down because of the hot weather and a over heating fridge.You were asked on no less than 4 occasions if everything was OK by myself and my bar manager and each time we received a positive response. Main course by the previous owner had a blanket price of 12.95; 7 months ago and despite rising food and energy costs, we have absorbed them and kept the prices down.Our new individually priced menu averages at 12.83. The menu price for gammon is 12.95 NOT 13.95. As for your comments on "teething problems and enough time to sort things out " is totally out of order and not your place to decide how long our transition will take. You have no idea about the teething problems we have endured thru a hard winter and now a heatwave and neither should you care. As for freebies, we are not a charity and loyalty must be earned by both parties - it is not a one way street. In the main people do not like change but change is happening at this venue like it or not.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We also went to the Stables View for mothers day (I think at the same time as the other reviewer) I guess I'll break down the pros and cons as far as I see them:

Pros: Easy to book, food was ok at best (and that's all it really is. It's not terrible but not somewhere you would go for a special occasion) Waitresses were nice and helpful.

Cons: We booked for a group of 7 plus 2 small children that needed high chairs and they only had 1. I brought this up with the manager who gave the reasons of supplier issues, something wrong in the kitchen and general new business issues which meant he didn't have time to get another chair and I can almost understand that but at the same time it's a quick easy fix. He did ask what he could do. Unfortunately none of those facts are really relevant to me as the customer and really, what could I ask? He couldn't materialise one from thin air so we just had to put up with it. Also the chair that was provided was filthy and the wetwipes we used to clean it were black!

One of the waitresses said the food comes in already in gravy which shows that its not cooked fresh on site in as much as they don't cook a joint then carve it up. This is poles apart from how Declan used to run the place, his food was always locally sourced and prepared onsite. The rest of the food was barely ok, it was fine, but not restaurant quality at all. Considering you go to a restaurant for food this is probably the most important part.

Which brings me to my last point that we booked the table for 1:30, had a starter around 2 and then had to wait until just before 3pm for our food.

So overall, not a good experience, manager offered his apologies but really what can you do at that point? Hope it improves as it used to be great and isn't really worthy of its current Excellent review on TripAdvisor unfortunately.

3  Thank tomlewis
TheStablesView, Owner at Stables View, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

The comments you make are valid and again I apologise for the poor experience you endured. The high chair - old dilapidated and inherited - agree that its not enough. Not quite as easy a fix as you mention. Nevertheless we need to purchase more than one. Winter hurt us (as it did many business) and the supplier issue that I mentioned was very real - I agree that has no bearing on you as a customer, they are our problems. The suppliers are the same as before and the meats are cooked fresh from a joint and carved on site so I am not sure where the waitress got her information, I will investigate this. As for timing, we have no control over when customers actually arrive and the larger group arrived late which triggered a knock effect for everyone else. My previous response describes this. We can only do our best to manage the situation for everyone when this occurs. I am not defending the issue as I would not like it either. Overall standards are not good enough and we are doing our utmost to rectify this. Once again - my apologies and thank you for adopting a more balanced approach which reflects a true and more accurate review when compared to other biassed approaches.