Bay-Hill Apartments
Beachcombers Hotel(Arnos Vale)
US$146
Travelocity
US$145
Paradise Beach Hotel(Arnos Vale)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$103
Hotwire.com
Young Island Resort(St. Vincent)
US$341
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscalled mrcable tvair conditionedbaileytransporttoursflightsupermarketlandtaxibequiahillairport
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My first solo trip to spend the New Year by friends and I was having problems getting into contact with them, so I decided to email with some hotels in SVG as a just in case; Bay-Hill was one of them. I eventually got contact with my friends and I failed to respond to the email I received from Mr. Bailey & co. (what luck that would eventually turn out to be).
I arrived at the airport in the morning and had to wait on the ferry to go (wonderful) Mayreau which was leaving in the afternoon (sigh). Lo & behold, Mr. Bailey was there to greet me at the airport though I did not confirm anything with them, he took it upon himself to check if everything was alright with me. He offered me to stay with them until it was time to board the ferry (at no cost). They were busy cleaning up after a wedding but made sure that I was comfortable, such friendly people. I was later transported to the dock and left for my way to Mayreau.
Coming back from the New Year to fly back home, I had to overnight in St. Vincent so I called Mr. Bailey. They gave me a room which was nice, clean and comfortable. They invited me to have dinner in their home and have breakfast the next morning. Before I left, Mr. Bailey's son, Kevin took me on a tour where I had a great time, from kayaking through a cave filled with bats to cliff diving and snorkelling near a black sand beach, seeing where they filmed parts of Pirates of the Caribbean and learning bits of history about the island. It was a great experience.
All in all, I had a great time in such a short stay. Their service and friendliness was great to have (though there were some awkward moments) I really enjoyed being their guest. They killed me with their kindness (don't usually receive treatment like that from other places, but it was nice to know that there are people/places like that). I had received the Bay-Hill treatment and like their motto states; "you're not just a guest, but a friend," and indeed I was truly treated as a friend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AJ_Smiles576
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The Bay-Hill apartments are comfortable & budget. We stayed at a spacious en-suite room, equipped with a kitchenette & a huge sea view balcony. Although the apartments are located pretty far from the city and the service taxi route, the owners generously helped with transportation: they took us to supermarkets & city market, ferry and the airport. The owners, Renrick Bailey and his son Kevin are very hospitable and friendly people. They organized activities for the whole week we stayed in SVG. We visited Bequia, southern Grenadines, the volcano, salt Pond, rainforests and did kayaking & snorkeling with Kevin. Thanks to them we liked SVG more than St. Lucia and Barbados.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I found the apts online and decided to give them a try.

We got a free shuttle from the airport when we arrived. Sidroy Lowman was our pickup/Reservations/Accountant and he was very courteous and professional in his approach. He also has a wealth of knowledge on the islands history and makes himself available for transportation to n from the city, for a fee of $15.00. Neisha from housekeeping was very nice to us and prompt with her service too.
The apts are set in a quiet residential area quite isolated from the main road and threatening-looking dogs peruse the streets.......so we often found ourselves winding around unnecessary corners. There is not much parkg available on the sloped gradient of the land. On the other hand, our room was never cleaned by anyone for the 6 nights we stayed there. There was no spa or swimming pool at all, Internet available only to those working in the office
Apts are within walking distance of the main road (like 10-15mins walk) so if you are short on cash, $1 EC each way is great!! Apt taxi ranges from $5 per person by shuttle and can escalate to between $15-$20. We went during the carnival activities so we were back n forth quite often, n believe me, it adds up.
In addition to Mr Lowman, there were other taxi drivers who were eager to transport you, all you had to do was call them. We came in around Carnival time and received free sim cards with credit from both service providers thr. So we could call on them as needed but I feel it necessary to add that each driver always took the loooooooong way to town and conveniently avoided the shorter drive via the main road. We assumed that this was to maintain our dependence on them for transport. My guest even joked that we were getting more drive for our money!!!
Anyway, the cost of my room was $55 US per night and included breakfast for one, Even though this was stated up front, l assumed that the breakfast offered would suffice us both, kinda like a buffet structure, . However there were some hitches with the breakfast.....
We arrived on Thurs afternoon n we were both given breakfast the Friday morning.... 3 small sausages and a submarine loaf, my guest is vegetarian and had only a cheese cutter (what you may call a cheese sandwich. Fruit, cereal or Juice were non-existent on the menu, Milk and coffee were made available on the bar on mornings only.
Moreover, l poured a cup of water for coffee on the said Friday morning and a cockroach about 1/2 cm long popped out. l didn't get a chance to take a picture after l alerted the cook, who came n removed the flask. An English guest who was in the restaurant said he already drank two cups from the flash.....ewwwww!
On Saturday, l was informed that my guest would have to pay for his breakfast and that only one breakfast was allowed per room. Cornbeef was added to the menu. Eggs were also added but none of us ate eggs. l ate a cutter again, a corned beef cutter. My guest was prepared from yesterday and every day on from then and provided his own breakfast.
On Sunday, we were going to Bequia but the ferry cancelled due to the stormy and rainy weather. That morning the cook came late, and although stating that breakfast was 7 am to 9 am, l waited by the bar for a while to collect 1 lg spoon of frizzled saltfish and 3 bakes at 10:50am. No explanation or apology was given. It was raining hard so l guess one could say blame it on the rain. Lol. What upset me was the following day.
Sunday was Jouvert n ran into Monday am. Tired as hell we arrived back at the apts after the jump at 9:20 am to hear the kitchen was closed so l had no breakfast then. I never went back for breakfast after that Monday. We left on Wednesday. After this, the cook did not maintain any eye contact with me or my guest.
The Rooms, ours was snug at the end of the block so we enjoyed a great view,(see pics), Air Conditioned with no hot water, acceptable cable coverage and good floor space. We got two single beds in our room instead of a double. There was a termite problem visible in the room and on Saturday……, just two days after we arrived the wardrobe door was released from its clasp by termites.
There was some water settling at the entrance to the bathroom, always. We didnt report this on the first two days but l brought it to their attention as soon as l realised it wasn’t a case of wet bodies runng from the shower, but a water leak somewhere.
The remote batteries died on Sunday and we had to keep switch the cable remote's batteries to lower /raise the a/c> Up to the time we left they were not replaced as requested and housekeeping ran out of toilet paper. l began to get upset and annoyed and l decided to focus on being happy and ignore these obstacles for the sake of enjoying my vacation break.
All in all, l would recommend the property based on its rooms as they were clean and contained some warm wall paintings & graphics, that l found very easy to relate to, (see pics). However, l found something very shady and gothic about the proprietor Mr. Bailey. He was always overly zealous with his compliments that bordered on being sexually suggestive. Although he was not around very much allllllll employees were always on their toes, in my opinon, in fear! Maybe it was just me but my spirit didn’t take him. Additionally, The room for two and breakfast for one mentality seems like a scheme to earn extra revenue for the kitchen.
On Carnival Monday when we left home around 4 pm we saw Mr Bailey leaving, with two guests from the neighbouring guest house RICHVIEW. It was only after the manager at Richview asked Mr Bailey if his guests (us) needed a ride to town, that Mr Bailey looked in our direction and he didnt answer the manager. The Manager ushered us to the vehicle but Mr Bailey made an excuse about the back seat (which my guest would have to occupy) being broken. I declined and advised that we had decided to take the bus, as he obviously didn’t want to give us the ride anyway. l wondered if he made the excuse because he thought we wouldn’t pay him ??? Come on, its St Vincent where three seaters are made 4 and 5 seaters in vehicles as a norm…

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonEye
Reviewed 29 May 2011

A friend and I stayed at Bay Hill Appartments for two weeks. The couple that run it are some of the nicest people I've ever met, they made us feel part of the family and really looked after us. They dropped us off and picked us up from the centre of Kingstown many times. Because we were two girls, Mr Bailey always checked if we had a way to get home at night if we needed it. Really good place to stay for girls travelling alone.
We went on two trips organised by Bay-hill, they were well run, easy to arrange and affordable. I highly recommend booking trips through Bay Hill.
Our appartment had a kitchen, balcony (with a great view of the sea) , AC. They were cleaned regularly and there were laundry facilities available as well as WIFI.
Bay Hill is less than five minutes from a beautiful, often empty, beach area. It really is a wonderful, friendly place to stay. I can't recommend it highly enough.
(Also if you are a medical student going on elective in St Vincent's e-mail Bay Hill first as they offer special rates for medical students and also organise transport to the hospital every day!)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed here after a sailing trip to Bequia, Mustique, and the other islands for a week. We were looking for a pleasant place to spend our last night just to unwind and dry out, and that's just what we found! Mr. Baily was a terrific host, and his son, Kevin gives great tours of the island as well as hiking and sporting trips. I was a little worried because we had to be at the airport at 5:30 the next morning, but Mr. Baily and his staff had us up on time and brought us to meet our plane.

We also had an excellent dinner at a very reasonable price in their large, top-floor dining room. The food was all local, prepared on at the apartment building by an enthusiastic cook, and relaxed at the casual and quiet bar there. Request a room on the veranda facing the ocean if you can, it's nice to be away from the street.

This place was an unexpected pleasure for us!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple