“Go and see for yourself”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Market Square

Market Square
Ranked #6 of 15 things to do in Kingstown
More attraction details
Owner description: This market area is extremely crowded on weekends as locals cart in fresh foods to sell.
St. Vincent
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Go and see for yourself”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I have to be honest. I am a native and I don't like this place. I avoid it at all costs. There's a level of shouting chaos that does not go well with me. (then again, it's a market so expect nothing else)
It's not a matter of "visiting", once you're in the capital city you're likely to come upon this area. Friday and Saturday are "market days" and most of the street is completely blocked from vehicular traffic. If you're like me and hate crowds it's a nightmare.
You would find an array of ground provisions, and fruits and other commodities. Sometimes there are fish vendors. I don't suggest you purchase fish that has been exposed to the heat of the sun for God knows how long. (The government advised us not to do so) The fish market is around the corner 2mins walk.
Ask several vendors for the price of the item you are interested in to have a general idea of 'fair price', as extortion exists according to who is shopping.
However if this type of thing excites you, you can drop by and get some culture.

Visited September 2013

• Czech first
St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good Stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I went there every few days for my fresh fruit and veggies. When they know u u can bargain. One lady told me how to make calaloo (hope that's spelling is right) it was superb wish she could have tasted it.they got everything there

Visited April 2013
1 Thank nai1905
Dallas, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Hustling market, go with friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Not the place to travel by yourself. Many locals just standing around or trying to sell you spices/trinkets you don't really need. Grenada is a beautiful island but the economy has stalled leaving idle hands.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank UniversityParkMom
Tralee, Ireland
333 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 393 helpful votes
“Typical Caribbean market”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This is a typical Caribbean market selling the usual fruit and veg and spices
Kingston itself is a nice enough little town although the better places are out the windward highway
Great shopping here for jewellery

Visited October 2012
Guelph, Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Market days, Fri and Sat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

These are traditional market days in St Vincent. The meat market is Thurs, but I haven't got there yet. Goat and blackbelly sheep are absolutely delicious, but there are a lot of cattle and chickens as well. I have found the grocery supermarkets tend to carry imported food, and the local markets are all locally grown food. Why they don't sell more local food in the groceries is a mystery to me, but for fresh fruits and vegetables you pretty much have to go to the local market. Many times my landlady, Lucelle would stop on the highway to ask people how much they wanted for what they were carrying. For example, "silk figs" are a smaller banana with a thin skin, that tastes better than a regular banana. Plantains which look like bananas are great sliced and fried. I never liked breadfruit very much, but breadfruit and salt cod, which isn't even local, is a national dish of sorts. There are a lot of fruits and root vegetables. St Vincent is very fertile. I think a lot of the local produce goes to waste, and it goes for very little money in the market. You will pay the same price almost anywhere in the market. They are very honest. On the road though you might find people selling stuff they stole from somebody else that wasn't ripe yet. Mangos are hard to come by in Jan and Feb. But in their season outside the tourist season, many rot on the ground. The soil is so fertile but all agriculture is by hand. There are no tractors on St Vincent. The fields are always a very steep slope. When I reflect on how inexpensive the fruit and vegetables are in the market I think about the labour that is involved in tending to their fields. I never haggle a price. You almost need a guide to the market in Kingstown, to explain to you how each item is cooked. After 5 visits to St Vincent, I still haven't sorted out all their rootcrops, Edos, sweet potatoes, none of it is very familiar to me. There is also a very good fish market downtown. In Tourist season the catch is usually King fish and Mahi-mahi, which they call Dolphinfish, and yellowfin Tuna. There are other smaller fish as well. They usually cut steaks, but you can get a fillet if you ask for it. Bring your own bags for the fish, maybe your own ice if you are taking the dollar bus home. The fish market was donated by the Japenese governtment. It is state of the art. Everything is on ice. Fish deteriorate very quickly once they are caught. If you travel the roads you may come across local fisherman selling fish on the highway. Traditionally fishermen blow a conch shell to announce that fish are for sale right now. Lucelle, my landlady, eats a lot of fish. In the country you pay less for everything. In Kingstown you pay a little more but nowhere near the actual value of the item. They will not rip you off because you are a tourist. I buy bananas, mangos, carrots, sweet potatos, plantains. I have to take the dollar buses and only what I can stuff in my pack and carry on my knee. You can take more and be charged a double fare and I have done that before. There is a lot of traffic into Kingstown on market day. It is not a good day to travel unless you are going againgst the stream. It's a very old tradition in St Vincent and I hope you enjoy as much as I do. You can actually walk into the market from Tranquility, and Mark, Lucelle's neighbor does that every Sat.

Visited February 2013