“Nice Boutique hotel in pictureesque location”
Review of Grenadine House

Grenadine House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kingstown
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Lovely hotel in a most pictureesque location overlooking the Kingston harbour and out towards Bequia.

Great food - and the tenderloin matched anything I have had in Miami, Barbados or London. The AC in the rooms worked well - and the WIFI was great across the entire property.

Stevon in the Bar and Dining room was great - very friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu and the best items to try - and make sure you have the Vincy breakfast. Nice deep pool but due to elevation can be a little cold - but oh so great after a morning run up the hill.

Room Tip: Great one of the room over the restaurant - best view towards the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Randall H

Reviewed 22 August 2012

This B&B is a renovated colonial home and you get the best of both worlds. Lots of character and charm and at the same time, modern plumbing, high water pressure, clean rooms, working air conditioning and wireless internet. Great views are available and the restaurant on the property is excellent. Even better are the incredible rum cocktails that they serve. The only slight negative was the food at the restaurant took a little while to get but that is minor compared to the great value this hotel is. Definitely will return to if visiting St. Vincent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank No_reservations_guy
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed here for 3 days at the end of a sailing trip during hurricane Tomas!!!! Despite losing electricity and hot water we had a great time and it was thrilling to watch the hurricane pass over!!!!! The staff were as helpful as the could be during the circumstances and the food was excellent. A quick walk down the hill and you ate in the heart of Kingstown which is a lively very Caribbean city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank WindsNWaters
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for just two nights before continuing my travels to the Grenadines and was so pleasantly surprised. The hotel is great value for money and the rooms are clean, comfortable and expertly decorated- perfect by European standards. The staff are polite and courteous and Laela, the manager is very friendly and gracious.
I have stayed in other hotels in St Vincent and since this hotel opened always stay here as it is very close to both the ferries and airport. It is small and has a nice family run atmosphere and the decor is clean classic Caribbean.
There was a wedding on the last night we were there which was so enjoyable to sit and watch from the balcony- completely different to what us Europeans are used to seeing- but so enjoyable, my partner and I asked for a cosy room service meal and watched from our balcony. The staff were so apologetic and polite about the noise but we slept very comfortably.
Will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenni2012
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The staff are incredibly accommodating, the were able to provide me service weather I was coming in at 3 am or preparing for an early morning at 6 am. They were also willing to share their favorite places on the island to eat and visit. I didn't feel like a tourist , they made me feel like I was part of the Grenadine House family.

My room was large and spacious, with amazing closet space , great television channels and fast internet service. The pool was very quiet and relaxing. I was able to have privacy and get the perfect tanning angles :p. The hotel has a wonderful Veranda over looking the SE portion of the island. I am able to see Kingstown and as far out as Bequi island. The "panoramic balcony", I believe thats what it is called allowed me to capture the most beautiful pictures of the ocean and surrounding areas of the island. The landscape of the hotel is also made it into my cameral, it captures the native forestry of the island. many beautiful bright flowers and plants, really makes you feel like you on an island!

The food at Grenadine house is amazing! Even if you are unable to stay at the hotel, I recommend you go at least once to have lunch or dinner. Everything I ate I enjoyed but those were two meals stuck out the most were the GH Cheeseburger and Shrimp pasta with there house sauce (its a pinkish sauce) A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The burger was well seasoned and so moist and fresh, I swear they kill the cow in the backyard! its HONESTLY the best burger I've ever had!! The portion size of the meals were generous, most times I couldn't even finish my food. The BAR tenders are very creative and aren't stingy with the liquor when they serve drinks. I spent a few nights there just talking about life.

Most Caribbean islands are so commercialized, its difficult to find comfort and authenticity of a cities culture while on vacations. With Grenadine house close proximity to Kingstown and service, I was able to have a unique experience of both. I just really enjoyed Grenadine House and will never forget the experiences they provided for me. I look forward to future vacations there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed 14 August 2011

For our stay on St Vincent we originally booked the Paradise Beach hotel. A few weeks before our holiday started, we got an e-mail that Paradise Beach was under new management and they were cancelling our reservation.

Because we were staying in a number of beachside hotels during our trip in the Caribbean , we thought it would be nice to stay in a lively Caribbean town with nice little restaurants. Because of its proximity to the center of Kingstown we selected the Grenadine house.

Kingstown however is not a lively Caribbean town with nice little restaurants, it’s a hectic place with hardly any nice little restaurants. Apart from the restaurant in the Grenadine House the places we liked best were KFC and Subway…. As we were touring the island, we found out that we would have preferred to stay at the Villa Beach area with the Paradise Beach hotel and the Beachcomber. We selected the Grenadine house because of its proximity to the center but realize it is on a steep hill and at night the walk to/from town is a little bit spooky.

The hotel itself is in a nice old restored colonial building. We had room 20 which was a spacious deluxe room with seaview, probably the nicest in the hotel. It was very clean, well furnished and had an extremely nice view of the see and the island Bequia in the background. Because there was not a lot to do in town at night, the long list of television channels available was an absolute plus!

Reception and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay. Also bonus points for them.

As this is not a cheap hotel, you expect something nice for breakfast even though only continental breakfast is included in the room rate. However, we got two very small pieces of toast and a tiny croissant (one morning they told us they didn’t even had the tiny croissants any more), one tiny cup of butter for the three of us, only one type of jelly and no cheese or meat, a very small fruitplatter and some coffee. On our last day there was a conference and suddenly there was some kind of breakfast buffet: they seem to cater more to business groups than to individual tourists.

Because we couldn’t find a decent restaurant in town, we dined in the hotel at the Sapodilla room a number of nights. Food was ok but didn’t come close to what was suggested on the website and it was extremely expensive for the quality you got.

Although we didn’t like Kingstown, we did like the rest of St Vincent. We rented a taxi for a day and saw a lot of nice sites like the botanic garden (ask for professor Sinclair, a super guide well worth the EC 10 per person you have to pay), fort Charlotte, Mesopotamia Valley, the beaches and the Salt pond. The official price is USD 30 per hour but we got a discount and payed EC 60 (EUR 15) per hour.

The swimming pool was nice but as another example that the Grenadine House caters more to business groups than to tourists: they rented out the pool to schools during the day, so our daughter could not swim in the morning or early afternoon.

For us the conclusion was clear: both Kingstown and the hotel are not really for tourists and next time we would stay at a different area on the island.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank TripleDutch
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Stayed for 3 nights for business in Kingstown. For what I've seen this was the best hotel I could have picked. Don't expect the big business like hotels in St. Vincent. This one is clean, nice professional staf, walking distance from downtown, good rooms and beds, free internet, etc. It's a bit difficult to find, but that is a one-time issue. Make sure you book a room with a balcony (yes, their website says all of their rooms, but that's not true), if you can spent the extra dollars.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank sjoenie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingstown
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
#7 of 16 in St. Vincent
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
#4 of 5 in Arnos Vale

Been to Grenadine House? Share your experiences!