“I only Wanted 1 Onion..............What a Challenge”
Review of Rasta Market

Ranked #25 of 25 things to do in Bequia
Montreal
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“I only Wanted 1 Onion..............What a Challenge”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

It was the last night in the yacht before ehading back to St-Vincent. I required 1 onion, so I made my way tot he docks in the dinghy (it was raining and Independance day). Nothing was open excpet the rasta market. Quant, yes, Local, yes, but very over priced. I had to practically beg for 1 onion. The lady who ran the stall, wanted to sell me a whole bag (6) big onions. I explained to her I only needed one. She argued with me for at least 5 minutes. So I statred to walk away, she came after me and sold me 1 onion for 1 EC$, which is what I wanted. Not much esle to say except that most of the other 1 star reviews are quite accurate. I have been coming to Bequia for 8 yrs, and it's the same every year. The fruit and veg are not fresh and tastey. Go to the supermarket for that.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank WindsNWaters

Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The stall holders are fools. If they gave you a fair deal you would return again and again as they have a good selection of fruit and veg. But they rip off everyone and once bitten the wise never return. Locals tell me they rarely use it.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank lesliesmith8
London, United Kingdom
“Got Fleeced once, insanely came back again”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Just don't go there, please, you get screwed every time, even when you think you've done ok you haven't. Avoid at all costs. It's a shame as the produce is great, perhaps if they didn't try and do you every time you went in they would get repeat custom.... shame.

Visited December 2011
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Rasta Market a MUST”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We are seasoned travellers and attend farmer's markets all over our own country and have visited many markets elsewhere. In our opinion the Rasta Market was one of the highlights of our trip to Bequia. The fruit was terrific, fresh and tasty. But that was not the main reason for our visit. It is also the interaction with the people that work the market that was so rewarding.

At home the markets are huge, taking up blocks in some areas. But the vendors are not particularly friendly and the experience is not unlike a commercialized grocer's store where you hustle and wait in line to pick up your goods from the impersonal attendant on the other side of the counter.

The market at Bequia is little and very quaint and by the end of the visit, you may even make a few friends. The individuals who helped us were terrific and amongst the nicest people we met anywhere in the Grenadines. Our time with them was enough to bring us back to Bequia. Thanks to Jason, Mr. President, and Jimmy - you guys are great!!

For what it's worth, I'd say the produce does not cost that much more, and the quality was much better than what we found in the shops around Bequia. We would rather support the nice guys we met at the market and have the chance to talk with them a bit, then buy elsewhere.

Just our two cents but our family definitely recommends a stop at the Rasta Market to buy produce.

Visited April 2011
Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Most Expensive Fruit on Bequia”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Just back from Bequia, it is a wonderful place with great people who invite you into their lives. Just one glaring flaw, but an easy one to steer clear of. Avoid the Bequia Vegetable Market, aka The Rasta Market. It is a blue building, part of a complex between the Ferry dock and Coco’s, on the seaside of the street. Instead of shopping there, buy your fruits and vegetables from real Bequians; they have stalls along Frontstreet, Backstreet and everywhere else. Stores like Doris’ and Knights on Backstreet are great. There are good stores on Frontstreet near the ferry as well. Gourmet grocers near Cocos and the Port of Entry pier have great food as well. Simply put, you have lots of choice among these and other vendors closer to your beach.
I had a couple bad experiences in the Bequia Vegetable Market: there is a sign on the wall telling you how the vendors are supposed to behave, but they still swarmed my wife and I, handing us prefilled bags and demanding a fortune, becoming insulting when we would not pay. This was not the simple bartering that happened when we bought produce at every other fruit stand. One guy tried to put fruit in my mouth, another tried substituting bad fruit for the pieces I had picked out. Deal with the women at the back, they are more reasonable. If you do shop there, keep you wits about you and know that these guys are not representative of the fine Bequian people.

5 Thank SunAndSeasBill