“Great place to stay!”

Hotel Laurena
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

we are a family of 3 who stayed at the Laurena for 3 nights in August 2013 for the regatta celebrations. When I made the call to the hotel to make my reservation the staff were helpful and willing to make the effort to secure my booking i.e calling back when they said they would.
On arrival we were seated in an air conditioned office with the offer of complementary refreshments.
Our apartment was very clean and well equip with all we needed for our stay, best part for me was the air conditioning and comfy sofa, my son made the most of the spacious beds.
The Laurena is central but not so that you are disturbed by noise, a two minute walk to the beach, shops, bank and port.
Improvements needed all staff should know about the events taking place on the island for the regatta celebrations. We asked a number of staff about activities none of them had a clue what was taking place. Do feel it's important for staff to be informative when such events are taking place .
staff were willing to rectify minor issues we had.

Will definitely stay at the Laurena again.

Room Tip: Apartments on the first floor better than those on the ground as you are able to have an apartment w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Escondido, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We are a family of 5 that went to Carriacou in July 2013for the beaches and diving. We had a bad experience at Grand View. (You can read about that on my post, “Not so Grand”). However, Noël at the Hotel Laurena showed exceptional hospitality. It really saves the trip. Plus the understanding from Alex, and Gary at Dee Ferr Diving, made it so we didn’t want to leave.

The rooms are clean and spacious. The AC is cold and quite. The beds are clean and comfortable. Laurenas restaurant is one of the best on the Island. It has a great location as well. It’s a quick flat walk to a white sandy beach. Close by are restaurants, grocery stores, taxis, and the dock.

Well be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nomaddad63
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel laurena for 3 nights. The hotel is in town, which makes it very convenient to the resturants and buses for transportation around the island. We moved to the hotel laurena from another hotel and it was so much nicer than the other hotel we were previously at. We rented the 2 bedroom apartment which was huge, bright and airy. The kitchen is full size and each of the bedrooms had two beds. The air conditioning was quite and worked good, which was nice to have in town. The manager Joel is very accommodating and kind. We really appreciated his professionalism and personal thoughtfulness. We felt that we were in a safe and comfortable surroundings. My family was happy that we switched to this hotel for the remainder of our stay on Carriacou.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank socalgypsy
St. Ann's, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at Laurena for one night on Sunday March 24th before heading up the Grenadines. It's in Hillsborough 2 blocks up the street from the ferry dock (turn left as you exit the dock). The room was dated but it was really a place to lay our heads for the night so we weren't looking for luxury - the AC worked, 2 full beds and toiletries in the bathroom, as well as small fridge. Continental breakfast was included but consisted of bread, tea, juice and some fruit which left me hungry so we opted as well for the full breakfast (which was scrambled eggs and sausage as well as fruit and toast). Things are very laid back here but the owner, Mrs. Andrews, who lives on the property and Joel who sorted out our room for us at short notice, were very accommodating. The "honest" part of my review comes from the fact that 2 days after leaving the hotel I realised that I couldn't find my ipod. I called the hotel on the off chance that it was there and lo and behold it WAS, and I collected it 5 days after having left the hotel (along with my house key which I hadn't realised i also left in the bag with the ipod). Anywhere else and I think I would have had to have kissed the pod goodbye! So Hotel Laurena wins my vote and i'll be staying there again next time I visit Carriacou.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

My one-night stay at Laurena contained both positive and negative experiences. First of all, Anne, the solution-oriented lady in charge. She was great from start to finish.

My room was ready when I arrived, cold water and ice in the fridge, the aircon had already been on for a while so the room was pleasantly chilled. The room was OK, a bit basic and dated, but everything worked: Aircon, fridge, shower, safe, etc... However it is old and a bit worn. The mattress had a very uncomfortable kind of plastic sheet(?) under the regular sheet, making me sweat all through the night. I wish I had taken that off.

The wifi did not work at all when I was there, despite Anne's efforts to fix the problem with the internet supplier Lime. Great effort, but no wifi, too bad for me.

When I went for breakfast in the morning, I waited and waited for the chef to come and talk to me. He did not. Then I got word that he was too busy to attend to my breakfast! What??? I marched out, but only after making it blatantly clear that I consider such behavior unprofessional and rude.

I went to my room and packed, and as I was about to leave, the phone rang and there was Anne offering breakfast and being apologetic about chef's behavior.

Would I go back? Probably not. You can walk to Green Roof in 10 minutes, and it's much nicer. Laurena is closer to the jetty and the center of town though.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank stensveen
St. George's, Grenada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Travelled to Carraricou for the regatta in 2012 and stayed at this hotel. It is within walking distance from the ferry terminal, about 5-10 minutes. Chose the apartment which was a good size and nice. It was clean, had a nice kitchen, microwave, fridge and two verandas (back and front). The restaurant (the Jerk Center) is not on site, but is a short distance away and right across from the beach. The food is ok, but not much variety.

Location is good as it in Hillsborough, and within walking distance are the beach, ferry terminal and bus terminal.

Service was average as there was few staff members, and they were not as attentive. Even though we had two verandas, the view was basically bushes and someone's backyard.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and if I visit Carraricou again I will definitely choose here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank krazy_doctor
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had a huge apartment,front and back balconies. The housekeeping staff were excellent and pleasant. The Jerk Center offered great choices at reasonable prices. The food was delicious. Chef Reese granted a special request which was absolutely fabulous. Ms Newton was very helpful. Overall we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: . Rooms on third floors seems to be the best. Ask Ms Newton.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
Carriacou Grand View
Carriacou Grand View
#1 of 3 in Carriacou Island

Been to Hotel Laurena? Share your experiences!