“Oh my gosh......”

and 1 more site!
Bayaleau Point Cottages
Reviewed 9 March 2014

... to see the photos of Dave's Bayaleau Cottages. We arrived unbooked a month or so ago, Dave was great and we stayed in all four quirky wonderful cottages as he moved us around the saner prebooked. I've read through what others have eloquently written; they're right. My wife and I both hugely enjoyed our 15/16 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank goldstocks

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Robinson “Calypso” !
Just imagine that your ship washed up on a conch shelled natural beach. You find your way to a path that leads to a forest of fruit trees and colorful cottages. Your Robinson "Calypso" hos,t Dave, washed up on that very same beach years ago. Dave befriended several bushmen and built every amazing thing that lays before your eyes....

If you want to have a real, un-fabricated, adventurous vacation--you want to really get away from it all, re-kindle your soul, experience nature as it was 100 years ago, be with local people who will open their homes and hearts to you … Bayaleau Point Cottages is the place for you.

The happily-colored cottages will cause even the most stressed out to be relaxed….your body is virtually bonded to the outdoors…..A flash micro-climate rain storm will play music upon the tin roof … You can run outside to your own private Idaho… naked if you wish ! Take in the nature and you will realize just how awesome the world of Carriacou is … Birds will wake you to a new day where you will feel like it is your first -- and you will want to get as much out of it as if it was your last....

I hope you get to meet Dave’s amazing family. To meet children that grew up with such appreciation of a different culture and nature and all its offerings was such a treat…..

Ok … The truth, I have never written a testimonial for an adventure before. I have traveled the world several times over and I had more adventure and relaxation in the 3 days I was in Carriacou then any place ever …

Here are a couple of must do’s around the island while staying with Dave at Bayaleau Point Cottages…

You Must go to the Kayak Café (Best View) and meet Savory Sally for lunch. Ask Sally to make you her famous “Carriacouda” steak (Barracuda).

When you walk out the door of the Kayak, walk down two doors to your right to what I considered the “capital” of Carriacou--Bill Paterson’s Place. Part convenience store, part bar and part “town office”, you need to find the secret door to the back and order a Carib beer and experience the way Bill runs the town … Bill is a mix between the Wizard of Oz and Winston Churchill … He is the “Mayor” and Justice of the Peace … He will marry you, divorce you, take your taxes, stamp your passport and file the deeds to your new Carriacou property on his tavern porch. Get your picture taken with him … I prize mine more than my picture with the last President I had dinner with …

Ok… Time to go see Curtis near Paradise Beach at the Off the Hook Beach Bar and Grill (473-443-8748). It will BLOW YOUR MIND !!! Have Curtis make you lobster and play you some reggae with his own bongos … if it’s Wednesday, you might even get a bonfire on the beach!

Need transportation while you are on the island? Call this number: (473) 410-9299 and Stafford will come to pick you up (best cabbie ever!!!) and take you where you want to go. If you don’t know where you want to go, Stafford will help you figure it out … Even if I had my own car, I would roll with Stafford for he is a very incredible human being to meet … Stafford will go beyond all means to make certain your Island destinations are perfect …

Time to relax … Have Stafford take you back home to the Bayaleau and rest up for the MUST MUST do…I have been scuba diving for 30 years in most of the world’s most amazing hot spots and this time I just snorkeled…I swam with 8 sea turtles and rode two of them ! You will see the amazing Tobago Cays … Dave has a great team to take you out on his custom boat … Get them to stop at HAPPY ISLAND and get a real Rastafarian Rum Punch … I don’t normally drink rum … But … This is a must!

Ok enough tips … just Relax … Learn how to be Limin Man (if you don't know what that means--just ask Dave!)....

One last thing… Get Dave to yell “SCOUT” … You just may get to meet a real live bushman that will teach you a bit about "LIFE"!

Enjoy Your Adventure !!! If you don’t assume a little risk, You miss out on a lot of life !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was a return trip for us and the magic of this perfect little hideaway was still as potent. It's maybe not for fans of AC, wall-to-wall marble and the totally sanitised Caribbean experience, but it is comfortable, simple, sustainable and totally beautiful. The wooden cottages are carefully designed to capture the cooling breezes and are charmingly furnished. It feels like living local style but with many more creature comforts!
Dave Goldhill is a great host, offering as much or as little intervention as you require. He can get you snorkelling in the Tobago Cays in the boat he built himself or you can sail his sloop or go kayaking to nearby islands. There are also some delightful treks around the island for the energetic visitor, Dave's an American who has lived in this paradise for more than 30 years - and after just three days there it was easy to see why he'd never left. We didn't want to either and will definitely be back for another dose of Bayaleau magic.

Room Tip: Green room is the best for its specacular view over Union island and its very spacious balcony for l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank philbergin
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had four lovely days on Carriacou, the most untouristy island that we've been to in the Caribbean. We went there to snorkel Tobago Cays and fell in love with the island. I love to snorkel but tore some muscles and have been "sitting wounded" for months. My daughter told Dave Goldhill about my injury and asked if it would be possible for me to go on a trip like that. He assured her that he would try to make it work. The night before our scheduled trip, he called and recommended that we postpone the trip because of high waves and strong winds, which was really nice of him!! We went out two days later on Mostly Harmless and had a great trip! These guys went above and beyond for me, which I greatly appreciated. Our driver took it slow and was kind enough to cut the engine before we hit a big wave.They took us to areas that were so beautiful and uncrowded. They watched out for me as I floated, enjoying colorful fish, corals and sea turtles. I was lucky enough to have my snorkeling dream come true because of the efforts of Dave Goldhill and his crew.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This review is not of the property itself (we stayed elsewhere due to location preference only), but rather of the boat excursions that Dave runs out of Bayaleau Point. Specifically, the Tobago Cays trip... which I can't recommend highly enough.

The captain/crew of the Mostly Harmless may be perfectly chill--as is the island way--but they know how to hustle, are 100% seaworthy and really tried to make sure everyone on-board got the most out of the trip. We departed Bayaleau Point around 10am, and after a fuel stop in Petite Martinique, we were properly on our way, flying over the waves, past Union Island, Mopion and Palm Island, to the Tobago Cays. Upon arrival, a few of our fellow passengers busted out Dave's Magic Elixir (i.e., the best rum punch that'll ever knock you sideways), but it still felt a little early for us west coasters, so the BF and I strapped on our masks and fins (borrowed from Dave's stash) and jumped in to explore the reef. It was our first time snorkeling, so the current there was a bit strong for us, but when we got to the area where there's a sea turtle feeding ground, current be damned! We were back in it... swimming with the dinosaurs of the deep, like ya do.

Once everyone got their turtle fix, we went ashore on one of the cays for lunch (see profile pic). Then it was on to Saltwhistle Bay on Mayreau for more snorkeling, more rum punch and more extreme limin'. About a 5-hour trip, all told. Alas, all good things must come to an end... but a dual-outboard-powered ride through the Grenadines is a pretty boss ending.

Whether you stay at Bayaleau Point Cottages or not, this is the place to get your pirate on: hop a boat loaded with rum punch to a string of tiny island jewels surrounded by neon turquoise waters, where your only worry is how fast the ice cubes are melting. If you miss this... well, you're just missing the point.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed in the small yellow cottage, but it was more than adequate, it had a small kitchen too. Rooms are a bit dated but still functional, and Dave, the owner, really looks after you. He helped us get across to union island when the ferry wasn't working and even followed up with us to see that we got there ok. The only problem we had at first was with the Mosquitos, but you are in the tropics after all, and if you put a few coils around the room, the problem is sorted. Great stay, would definitely come back and recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JadeJaguar2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Bayaleau for 5 days the beginning of May '13 in the Yellow Cottage before moving on to the "expensive" Villa for a week. I must say, staying at Yellow Cottage was a much more rewarding and enjoyable experience for sure. Yellow Cottage is a square cottage with bed, kitchen, bath and an attached deck . It was quiet and we felt very safe. Left our door unlocked 3 out of the 5 nights (not like the 3 locks plus padlock on the "expensive Villa"). Dave's dog Luna is primo security. The area around the cottages is the most "local" experience you can have (eat local food or buy home made bread at Judys down the road). If you need charcoal, ask Dave how you can get it from PoPo. You will never forget it. Beautiful local people. You can catch the local transit vans right from the cottages just down the road. Such an experience. We have traveled many of the Grenadines and can say that Bayaleau Pt Cottages is a must.
Oh, very, very clean. Mosquito nets worked perfect. No hot water..thank goodness.
If you don't stay at Bayaleau Cottages you will have missed the boat in Carriacou. ALL the cottages are wonderful . Going back? No question.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AngieVinnai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carriacou Island
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & R...
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
#2 of 2 in Hillsborough
Hotel Laurena
Hotel Laurena
#2 of 3 in Carriacou Island

Been to Bayaleau Point Cottages? Share your experiences!