“Everything the Caribbean should be, and so rarely is”
Review of The Cotton House

The Cotton House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mustique
Midlands
“Everything the Caribbean should be, and so rarely is”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Jacques and his team do a first class job. Whether in the rooms, the restaurant, the bar, or on the beach. Service is first class.

The location couldn't really be better. White sandy beach, spectacular views, great sunsets, and rooms are not on top of each other so plenty of personal space.

The facility itself is what I would describe as Caribbean five star - don't expect some slightly sterile corporate interpretation of what this part of the world is all about. Expect a bit of peeling paintwork and the odd bug here and there. It just adds to the experience and ambiance - this is at its heart a beach holiday.

I might have a very small criticism of the menu's at lunch and supper, but only in terms of lack of variety (but when everything except the fish is imported that's to be expected a bit); quality was everything I expected.

All the other things you would want are there - good gym, jogging trail, wifi, decent wine list, nice pool, etc etc.

I can be very critical in my reviews, but not this one. This is everything you should expect in the Caribbean - and one so rarely finds.

Jacques - thanks to you and all your team. (Simon & Wendy)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HumptyDumptyMidlands
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Wendy, Simon,

A whole-hearty thank you for the review. Always a pleasure to hear that our guests left with a smile and pleasant memories. I shall pass it on to the crew and thank them on your behalf.

Hoping to welcoming you again soon,

Very best regards.

Jacques

Jacques Brouchier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at The Cotton House to celebrate our anniversary. We are both very hardworking professionals with little free time -- when we travel, we are looking for a high-end, unique, beautiful places where service is key. The Cotton House has blown everything else away. Here is why -- it has history (the museum, Sugar Mill, historic Cotton House), unbelievable natural beauty (it is set on a horseshoe beach which also happens to double as a bird sanctuary with lavish lily ponds, lily pads and flowers, and frangipani trees), the ability explore (via "mule" - google it), and hands down has the best people working there. To name a few, Sheldon and JJ (the fantastic bartenders and hosts); Cherry (the fantastic housekeeper who took such special care of us and has been with the hotel for almost 20 years - a diamond); the outstanding Indira, Junius, Kevin, and Eric, all of whom made our anniversary day and dinner magical. Jacques, the manager, greeted us personally and always checked in to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. We are not famous -- just people in search of a special, romantic escape -- yet we were treated as though we were the most special guests in the world. To Jacques and his tremendous team (and there were more than those I named above), thank you, thank you, thank you. We will be back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank k-mgorman
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Katelin and Michael,

So glad to read your review of our "house". The team and I thank you for your posting which does encourage us to always do better.

We are looking forward to hopefully welcoming you again very soon .

Have a great summer,

Warm regards,
Jacques

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have just returned from 4 days at the Cotton House, Mustique and I have never reviewed a hotel before but felt strongly enough to do so this time.

From the time you board a small plane from Barbados until you leave, the experience is perfect. What Cotton House manage to achieve with great finesse is an exclusive, luxury experience without the fuss.

The staff are fantastic and offer the very best in customer care in a very genuine way.

The food was wonderful - Breakfast cooked to order (no buffet), fantastic lunch choices and a relaxed but exclusive dinner on the Verandah overlooking the grounds.

Our stay was faultless in every way and we are looking to return in 2015. Do not hesitate to book this hotel.

Alistair and Dawn

Room Tip: We had a room with a plunge pool, very private, beautiful and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Dawn & Alistair,

Thank you very much for the kind words. A pleasure meeting you and hearing that you are coming back soon.
The team and myself are looking forward to welcoming back to our beautiful island.

All the best,

edinburgh
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Cotton House was just a wonderful relaxing place to stay. As soon as you arrive your cases are delivered to your suite and you are offered an unpacking and pressing service. The staff in all areas of the hotel were so attentive to our needs and helped in any way they could. This was so important to us as one of our party has mobility problems. Two of my friends had been to the Cotton House before and were so touched that some of the staff remembered them from their last visit 3 years ago and were so pleased to see them back again. Must give a special mention to Cherry who looked after Maz and Ms Renton so well in Guava Cottage. Mustique is a very special place and so very laid back and am so lucky that I was able to have a great time there. Many thanks to all at the Cotton House.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shemore
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Sir, Madam

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Always a pleasure to hear that we succeeded in making your stay a memorable one.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future we hope.

Warm regards,

west sussex
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I have just returned home after spending two fabulous weeks here. The staff really make ones stay here memorable, they are so friendly and always remember ones names and also preferences. The hotel though upmarket is incredibly relaxed and very restful. The food is good though expensive. The hotel will take one to any of the other beaches or restaurants. Only one small downside is that the waters edge is rocky so have to enter the sea from the pier.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WestSussexWhitefox
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for your posting. The team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Fortunately, the reef you mentioned is acting as a natural barrier in order to protect the beach from erosion in times of heavy seas.

Very best regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived on a little plane from Barbados and were driven the 3 minutes to the hotel to be welcomed personally by the manager and the assistant manager. Then we were taken up to the cottage in the beautiful grounds which was to be our home for the next wee while to find our cases already there and registration happened in the room; so very civilised after a long journey.
Our cottage called pawpaw overlooked the gardens, we had a small but perfectly formed bedroom, a dressing room and a bathroom off that. Decor was stylish and tasteful, and there was a large verandah with table and chairs and loungers on it. Should you wish breakfast on your verandah, staff can come up the back steps and set the table without disturbing you.
A superb touch is they offer a complimentary pressing of all your clothes upon arrival and this means you are always smartly turned out for the rest of your holiday. Having said that dress is very casual by day and smart casual at night so leave the posh frocks and jewels at home.
Breakfast and dinner are taken in the most elegant great room on the verandah, and lunch is less formal at the beach bar. The standard of service and quality of the food is excellent, prepared by the relatively new young chef who is determined to present a varied menu from locally sourced ingredients!! Indeed after meals he makes a point of coming round the tables meeting the guests and seeking comments from them.
The grounds are extensive, there was never a problem getting loungers on the beach, the small boutique has beautiful goods for sale, the gym looked fine from the outside which is from where I like to view gyms and the spa is extremely professionally run.
The only slight downside is the beach has a reef across most of it so it is best to swim from the steps on the little jetty which may not be to everybody's taste. I am not the strongest swimmer and I found it a little restricting, but the water was clear and warm once you got in.
We hired a 'mule' to get round the island - this is a small buggy with a top speed of about 15 mph and two gears, one forward and one reverse!!! You do need a driving licence but they are so incredibly easy to drive. There isn't a road sign anywhere on the island so you need to follow your nose to get to wherever you're going.
One place to make for is the little fishermen's cottages at the front. There you will find the famous Basil's bar (meeting place for the rich and famous apparently) tho we were completely underwhelmed by it, and there are a couple of shops here. If you don't get what you want in these few shops there is nowhere else on the island for shopping!!!
For a beach beyond beautiful go to lagoon beach and for a beach for surfing make for macaroni beach. Since the island is so small you'll be right round it in less than an hour even stopping off for photos!!
Any the end of a long hard day relaxing, swimming and sunbathing, there is nowhere better to go than down to the great room in cotton house for a fabulous dinner.

Room Tip: Some rooms have pools, others have sea views, some are duplex and some detached. Don't think the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitesheilagh
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Sir, Madam,

Our team is very pleased to have succeeded in offering a memorable experience to you and your spouse.
Your positive comments are a boost in our constant efforts to deliver a remarkable experience on this little gem of an island.

We hope to welcome you again very soon,

Meanwhile, all the best and Happy Easter to come.

Best personal regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Why go there:
This review is a bit late but I do want to add my 2 cents. After an absolutely hectic winter 2012-2013, my husband and I took advantage of some time off work and grandparents visiting to escape for 5 days and we stayed at the Cotton House. The island had been recommended to us by family who visit annually. We opted for the Cotton house as we had only 5 nights and wanted to minimize the walking distance to the hotel amenities.

Arrival:
We have spent a significant amount of time in the Caribbean so we were pretty sure we knew what to expect. We arrived on a Tuesday and were greated very well at Barbados airport, the island and then the hotel and really felt we were going to be able to relax. The only down side to the arrival was that we had to leave our passports with the gentleman at the airport to get our drivers licenses. They were delivered to us about an hour after we got to our rooms. as someone who travels a lot I really wasn't hugely comfortable with that. But still we got our licenses shortly after we arrived in our room and everything was fine.

Room:
The room had an amazing view and while yes I would agree it would benefit from some updating it served our purposes well and provided a nice cool sanctuary. If your idea of "luxury' is modern and sleek the Caribbean is not the place to go and Mustique/Cotton House is no exception. Our bath was in a somewhat impractical location and we didn’t use it but I absolutely loved the outdoor shower.

Hotel
We went for a walk and noted a lot of activity starting on the grassy area and were informed by note in our room that there was a wedding at the property during our stay. At the cocktail party that night we were approached by the manager Lenore, who asked if we were happy with the room etc. She then advised us that the wedding may encroach on us as we were in the room the closest to where the wedding was being held. It wasn't the news we had hoped for as we wanted rest but we said it was fine and that we'd let her know if it was a problem.

Hotel issues- Mules
The next morning we found that we couldn’t get a mule as all were booked up by the wedding party…… that is all mules on the island. We had Wed & Thursday where we could go walking distance only or use the hotel taxi. As I had a pretty big bump, having no ready transport was an issue as walking very far just wasn’t an option. We got our mule Friday morning and were able to drive around an bit which we were grateful for. An improvement here would have been to ensure a mule was available for each room until such point as they decline. We had booked a mule for 2 days of our 4 full days and the hotel assigned us Friday & Sat whereas we wanted Wed & Thursday as we had spa appointments Saturday.

Hotel issues- Noise
As for the noise from the wedding. We could hear and see the party going on during the day but, leaving aside the lack of mules, the wedding did not encroach on our enjoyment of the property itself and the staff were ultra attentive and sensitive to the fact that it might. I went to bed early that night with a book expecting to be kept awake until the music stopped at midnight but I was sound asleep by 10pm. The next morning again Lenore apologized for any inconvenience to our evening.

We had no issues whatsoever with the food. I was limited in what I could tolerate being pregnant and my husband loves fish and variety so I was a bit nervous going there but there was no need to be. We ate one lunch at Basils and one evening meal at Firefly. All other meals were either room service, beach café or the Veranda. I don’t believe we had the same thing twice aside from breakfast. The staff did ask every time if I felt like anything to be cooked a certain way etc to just let them know and they would prepare it as I would like.
Was it expensive- yes, was it elaborate and fancy-no. Was it exactly as we expected- yes. We felt it was better value than some other islands we’ve been to.

Particularly worth a mention were the Asian buffet on Tuesday and the BBQ which was moved to the Veranda due to weather… the meat was cooked to perfection and the sides & sweets were just the right combination of simple/light and hearty/ fancy.

Beach
Marconi beach was gorgeous and it was lovely to swim in the water there. Definitely much nicer than the one by the beach café but I don’t recall anyone claiming that the hotel beach was anything other than exactly what it is.

My reaction to some of the other comments on here are:

Lavish paradise… I actually disagree.. That word to me means commercial luxury ie fancy stuff that looks expensive… and as such I don’t think its lavish at all and I think terms like this sometimes mislead others. It does not have all mod shiny things, it does not have electric blinds and lights or fireplaces.
What it does have is everything you need with excellent service, incredible scenery and zero of the interferences and distractions one can usually expect at a resort. It is truly a place to relax and that’s what makes it so special.

Luxury accommodation; again this can be misleading to those who see ‘luxury’ in terms of bling and expensive things. Charming and refined are the 2 words that appear in reviews that I think are more appropriate.

Food quality… food is personal so I understand why someone might be disappointed but the food is very good and every effort made to ensure every guest is happy. This is not fine dining London/NY style. This is fine dining in relaxed Caribbean style.

Overall: We had a great time and despite a few things that weren’t ‘perfect’ , we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Bottom line it’s an expensive location and a bit of a hike to get to but will we go back?, ABSOLUTELY! The reason I’m on line now is because I’m checking dates for our next stay and considering bring 2 kids...One caveat: If staying 2 weeks I think we would go with a villa only for variety sake. Then we could enjoy the villa and the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for what you like. If you like the sea view, quiet room, no steps, food cooked a different way t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 78Momof2
GMCottonHouse, General Manager at The Cotton House, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for the delayed posting.

Things have changed since your last visit, Eleonore has moved on to another property and upgrades have been made in all areas of the Cotton House.

You described the location and experience so well that it would be difficult to find better words and I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again in the near future to experience the changes and constant evolution of our beautiful property.

Kind regards,

Jacques Brouchier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mustique
Firefly Hotel Mustique
The Pink Sands Club
#1 of 3 in Canouan
The Old Fort, Boutique Hotel & Estate
Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club

Been to The Cotton House? Share your experiences!