The Carlton Savannah
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
The Chancellor Hotel(Port of Spain)
View Hotel
Alicia's Palace(Port of Spain)
View Hotel
Kapok Hotel(Port of Spain)
View Hotel
Copper Kettle Hotel(Port of Spain)
View Hotel
Forty Winks Inn(Port of Spain)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I've dined at the Carlton Savananah's CA SA and Relish restaurants on numerous occasions but have never been a guest at the hotel. The Carlton Savannah, though small in size, is beautifully designed, one of the best hotel designs in Port of Spain in my opinion. However, I have been continuously disappointed with the meals, which don't seem to match the standard that the hotel has set for itself. Neither breakfast, lunch nor dinner were on par with offerings at other hotels nearby. I had the blandest burgers, pastas, local Trini and international breakfasts there. Thankfully the food isn't overpriced so wasn't too painful. But after giving the hotel numerous chances, I can safefly say that the food is not worth the expense. Customer service has been brilliant all on occasions though. Wait staff are very friendly and well-trained. However, on one visit, a male server who appeared to have reached his limit of frustration, vented to me about how horribly management treats staff at the hotel and expressed his intent to ignore a guest who was expecting room service, as he was tired and "fed up." I urge management to invest in a new executive chef to bring their restaurant menus to life and look into staff grievances, as these reflect in their interactions with customers. Overall, having been consistently disappointed with the food without staying overnight at the hotel, I recommend that patrons and guests dine elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SimmyF
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Attempting not to be a creature of habit I chose this hotel as opposed to my preferred Hyatt.

Check-In: The staff were friendly in their greetings, however, once checked in I was given my room card and pointed in the direction of the elevators, without being advised of the floor, luckily common sense prevailed!

The Room: the platform where the bed was positioned was exposed and soiled, as well as one of the accent cushions; there was a leak in the ceiling which appeared to be originating from the condensation of the AC, and the minibar was empty, despite a security deposit for incidentals of US$50.00 per day taken in advance.

Housekeeping: I came back on the second day to find both the main door and the adjoining one to the room next door open, when I called reception to report this I was treated to the clueless response of "OH...Okay" and after a few beats, "Is anything missing?" I heard nothing further from reception nor security.

On the third day, I returned to find a towel placed on the floor where the ceiling was leaking...no words!!!

Check-Out: I dutifully filled out the survey and when asked how I enjoyed my stay, I reiterated my displeasure, informing them I would not be returning anytime in the future to which the response was "Well I hope these things did not spoil your visit and we hope to see you again...SHEESH!!!

Fellow traveler...this hotel is only masquerading as a 4.5 star when it is a very poor relation to its counterpart, the Hyatt...which I highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Messalana
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Thumbs Up to The Carlton Savannah Hotel. I was there on Wednesday night 9/14/11 @ roof top to celebrate my good good friend birthday and they also had a Sushi night as well every Wednesday to which, we didnt know about. Arrangements were made earlier with Jason Hadley the F&B Manager @ the hotel. I arrived @ 7:30 pm and met with Jason and he made sure we got to our seats,sushi,bottles of wine, cake etc whatever we needed Jason made sure it was delivered to us. On behalf of myself and my friends we would like to thank Jason Hadley so much for making us feel welcomed with his wonderful personality and also encouraging us to spend the night *yes* so we booked the royal queen suite and the service did not stop there. Jason we would definately be back *mwahh*

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The Carlton Savannah is my favorite hotel in Port of Spain as it has all at the same time beauty, luxury, and warmness. I have felt there like being at home, but a very nice home where people take amazingly good care of you.
The pool is sea water, which is lovely! Also, the rooftop gives you a fantastic view on the city, it's so nice to enjoy a drink in the evening on the rooftop.
Rooms are very spacious and all well-decorated, in a modern but still very cosy way.
The Carlton Savannah, as you can guess from its name, is right in the middle of the Savannah, surrounded by botanic gardens and parks... definitely the best place to stay in Port of Spain, out of the traffic spots!
either for holidays or for business, you will feel all relaxed and comfy in the Carlton, and you will not be disappointed by the great services this hotel offers!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pauline m
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here on 31st August 2011 as a much needed R&R with my hubby.
Every aspect of my stay was perfect.
The young lady who took my reservation ended up being my 'go to CSR' for my entire duration, and i must say this- she should be given an award for Excellent Customer Service, in fact ALL the employees were PROFESSIONAL, FREINDLY and made it their duty to see about my every need.
My room (803) was clean (spotless), added with the modern furniture, small fridge, coffee maker, stereo system, Plasma screen tv and MOST IMPORTANT- EXTRA COMFY KING SIZED BED, my hubby and I had a 9hr sleep.
The bathroom is made of a very cozy bathtub, the fluffiest towels and bathrobe and all the other modern necessities u would need.
We even got the use of the hotels DVD player for our stay.
There is a rooftop bar, and it being Independence Night the hotel offered free Sushi to all guests.
Morning-time, breakfast was at the hotels in-house lobby restaurant RELISH- food was delicious, not as expensive as 1 would think for this modern hotel & worth every penny
WOW!! an experience to remember.
AND I vow to be back.