DO NOT STAY AT THE NORMANDIE HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE PROPER TRINIDADIAN HOSPITALITY - STAY ELSEWHERE
Me, my family and several friends stayed there recently during Trinidad carnival and cut our stay.
The reception staff are inept. One would think as reception is front facing and representing the Normandie, It is the first and foremost their duty to ensure that all guests should have a very pleasant stay at the hotel. If they don't, then at least try to resolve any problems or come to an agreeable solution. There were no clarity, no coherence and certainly no responsibility in the manner to which they handled our stay. That's just reception, so this now leads to management and the lack of it. Where were they? Who are they? Why did it take all of our party to try to speak to someone on several occasions to try and resolve the problems we all had with each any every room we were allocated.
I shared a twin room with a friend, in fact it was room 106 and there were mould on the walls by the air conditioning unit. The electrical wires around the unit were not secure and could potentially be fatal. The water from the bathroom sink and shower were both tepid and there were no water pressure either. No one from the hotel apologised, let alone attempted to fix it or move us to another room despite high-lighting the problems to reception several times.
We were suppose to be staying on a bed & breakfast basis. The choice of food were minimal and cold irrespective what time you arrived to eat. It were a task in itself to get any of the waiting staff to replenish foods which were running low or in most times run out. I asked if I could have a fried egg, to which I had to wait over half an hour for it. In that time I had to ask four times and even offered to fry it myself!!!!!
To top things off, there were thefts of money from a couple of our party rooms. The way that management handled it seem like something out of Pink Panther and Inspector Clouseau!! As such, we had to call the police.
It's absolutely disgusting that the owner dismissed us out of hand and literally walked away when we wanted a refund, especially when all of our party travelled long distances to get to Trinidad and paid a lot of money to stay at the Normandie hotel. What the pictures on the Normandie Hotel website shows in reality to what we experienced is totally different. We actually found out that there were many rooms which were closed before hand because they needed adequate to major refurbishment. Instead of the owner addressing all of these rooms properly and bringing them up to the standard advertised on their website. They thought they could get away with it by opening them up anyway and delegating to guests irrespective of the condition to reside in them. A HUGE mistake on their part. THEY ARE MONEY ORIENTATED and greed got the best of them, plus there is are members of staff which are light fingered.
Me and my party have taken photographic evidence of all our rooms. We have presented our complaints to the Hotel. As such, since management have not been in regular contact with us, resolved our problems to date and not offered adequate compensation, we shall be taking this further with Trinidad's Ministry of Tourism and will make Trinidad media aware of this, because they certainly have let themselves down tremendously and not represented the true spirit and culture of true Trinidadians. SHAME ON YOU NORMANDIE HOTEL.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set between the rain forest and Queen’s Park Savannah, Hotel Normandie features 70 rooms, 6 meeting and conference rooms, an outdoor swimming pool and bright, attractive accommodation. Just 1 Km from the Savannah and 3 Km from Ariapita Avenue, at the end of The Nook Normandie manages to relax you with its tranquil surroundings. Each stylish, air-conditioned room and suite at The Normandie has colourful décor and includes a coffee/tea station, cable TV, and complimentary Wi-Fi; some of the rooms include a refrigerator. The Normandie also has a restaurant that offers a continental/international breakfast and an Italian flavour for lunch and dinner, a 24-hr front office, 24-hr security, complimentary parking, a concierge, a spa, and provides a tour desk and the only pilates studio in Trinidad through our in-house partners, Island Experiences and Madeleine Miller Pilates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Normandie Hotel And Conference Centre
- The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre Trinidad/Port Of Spain