“Pretty Ok”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Trinidad
“Pretty Ok”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 days.First,when we got into our first room, the bathroom was good but the second floor of the hotel room had no blinds or curtains to block out the light coming in,it had no closet to keep our clothes, and we had a view of the carpark. So, we moved to another one.This one had a closet, blinds to keep the light out and a view of the pool instead.The bathroom needs refurbishing and the A/C need an upgrade. The location was great.There were many restaurants and attractions nearby.We got good service from the front desk attendant Dwayne.
In general, it was a fairly good hotel experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the the ground floor are bigger and nearer to the pool(for the pool lovers).
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jonathan M
RaymondChinLee, Owner at The Normandie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Jonathan M,

We apologies that we have not responded to your review in a timely fashion, however we have recently made some organizational changes to our holding company and we are now embarking on a journey of restructuring, repositioning, and rebranding of the Normandie at Nook. We are being assisted by our executive consultant Ali Khan, veteran hotelier who until recently had managed Hilton Trinidad, former Hilton Tobago, and Jaloussie Plantation St. Lucia. Ali Khan is facilitating.the complete refurbishing of the hotel as well as enhancing quality brand standards.

This house of culture, art, music, and as the hotel is well known in the literary community is preserving the legacy of iconic social philanthropist Fred Chin Lee and his affable wife Anna Chin Lee. We urge you to revisit us to see and witness how our team is practicing the Art of Hospitality.

We sincerely thank you for your candid review of the premises and assure you the entire enterprise under new management and direction is planting the seeds for you and your associates frequent visits and your referrals.

Best Regards,

Ray Chin Lee and Ali Khan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Crown Point, Tobago
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My friend and I stayed here for the cricket weekend. When he checked in, he was sent to a dirty room and returned to the front desk to hear “oh sorry.” He checked out but unfortunately there were no availability at other hotels soooo it resulted in him returning that the Normandie. He never experience this before so it caight him of guard and was very worried. He was then checked into another room, didn’t have time to actually check the room out, to observe if it was in at least good condition. When I finally got there around midnight I walked into the room there was hair on the bed, bathroom, and floor. It was so uncomfortable and disgusting!!!! But I didn’t let it spoil my fun in Trinidad. In the morning we got up and no water, big shocker there! Called the front desk, lame excuses and no follow-up, had to call a few times before we were able to get another room to shower. Upon check out we didn’t even get an apology no one was concerned, no managers were involved, but that’s the level this property is at. After so many problems you would think someone would be concerned, but think again. Don’t waste your time booking there but if you do don’t expect much :)

Room Tip: Don't choose any rooms at this property!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sa'ida V
Dear Saida V,

Our greetings from Port of Spain,St. Ann's, first of all We would like very much to thank you for your very candid and honest review and allowing us the opportunity to respons even if is a few months late. We have recently made some critical changes to the organization of Normandie, we assure you that these changes are a direct result of the recent feedback we got from our valuable customers such as you.

We are now embarking on a journey of restructuring, repositioning, and rebranding of the Normandie at Nook. We are being assisted by our executive consultant Ali Khan, veteran hotelier who until recently had managed Hilton Trinidad, former Hilton Tobago, and Jaloussie Plantation St. Lucia. Ali Khan is facilitating.the complete refurbishing of the hotel as well as enhancing quality brand standards.

On your next visit to Trinidad/Port of Spain, allow us the opportunity to demonstrate to you, how our team has adopted the best practices of "can do" attitude and customer focused attitude thus enhancing our customer's experience. We sincerely thank you for your review which has prompted us to make the complete makeover of out standards. Please give us another opportunity to host you.

Appreciating owner,

Travellers are raving about these Port of Spain hotels

Trinidad
Reviewed 14 April 2013

If you like clean surroundings, pleasant service, basic courtesy from staff and value for your money, then avoid this "hotel" like the plague.
I attended a 5 day conference at the Normandie (cost of $8,500) and grew more appalled, ashamed, and disgusted with each passing day.
SERVICE - The horrible service began the week before when I called the front desk to enquire about their rates. When I asked if there were special rates offered to attendees of the conference to be held there from Monday, the man who answered responded with "Eh? Wha conference?". After explaining to the hotel employee what was going on in HIS hotel, he advised me to call back in the morning to ask again since "the people who could help already left". Basic customer care would have dictated that he take my number, get the information, and get back to me as soon as possible. I braced myself for more poor customer service in person if this was the best they could offer on the phone but nothing could have prepared me for the nightmare that would follow.
SURROUNDINGS – As you can see from the pictures, the appearance of this hotel (which is totally false as represented online) would make anyone cringe...sanitary bins overflowing and surrounded by flies (even up to TWO days after we complained to the front desk about this!), cobwebs in the conference room which was musty, dirt and grime on bathroom tiles and sinks, paint peeling off the walls, "ornamental" plants that had died and dried up and used as "decorations", black boxes filled with decades old plastic plants in the "conference room", toilets that wouldn't flush, badly wrinkled table cloths, old plastic jugs for us to pour from and the list went on. Some of us actually developed rashes on our skin after sitting in this room for a couple days in addition to severe aggravation of our sinuses from inhaling all the dust on the dirty, old carpet.
SERVICE - the staff was extremely unfriendly and unprofessional and apparently needed a few days to warm up to us since we only saw a hint of a smile late on the third day of the conference. Perfect example...on going downstairs for lunch on the first day, a couple of us assumed that the soup bowls and large soup pot set up next to the lunch station contained soup/a first course for our meal, but when we asked one of the servers if we should go to that station first for soup she shouted back "SOUP?! SOUP?! It doh have no soup here!" almost in a rage that we dared ask a perfectly reasonable question. Example 2 – Never mind the fact that we paid almost $10,000 to attend this conference, most of us had to beg the staff for reasonable servings of the food. I actually had to beg the server on the last day for another piece of lamb to add to the scraps she deigned to give me, and she LITERALLY went picking through the dish to find the tiniest piece of lamb which she then carelessly and angrily slapped onto my plate. Afterwards we saw them generously packing Styrofoam containers with the food that WE PAID FOR.
The worst part of this whole nightmare was that the owners were there almost every day...their website says that “Mr. & Mrs. Fred Chin Lee, have taken great pride in establishing a unique boutique-style Hotel, through their continued dedication and passion.”...surely anybody who had an ounce of integrity would take one look around and realise that their “hotel” badly needed gutting, cleaning and refurbishing...but then again, why spend money to make anyone feel welcome when they could just pretend that they are running a clean and decent establishment while continuing to line their pockets with people’s hard earned money.
This is a national disgrace and the owners and staff should all feel ashamed of themselves!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank Zee Z
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Greetings from Normandie at Nook.

There are no words to explain or excuse ourselves the way you felt while staying at our premises. Please accept our sincere apologies and simultaneously our gratitude for giving us the opportunity to respond through this travel media site. This review along with a few other reviews have prompted the ownership to take immediate action

We are now embarking on a journey of restructuring, repositioning, and rebranding of the Normandie at Nook. We are being assisted by our executive consultant Ali Khan, veteran hotelier who until recently had managed Hilton Trinidad, former Hilton Tobago, and Jaloussie Plantation St. Lucia. Ali Khan is facilitating the complete refurbishing of the hotel as well as enhancing quality brand standards.

Please Ms Zee Z, give us another opportunity to host you so that you may ascertain the recent changes made resulting from your review, the fundamental changes made have completely changed the entire state of mind of our team members for which we immensely thank you.

Respectfully,

Platteville, Colorado
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed in the suite across from the Resteraunt and although it was not the Hilton it was CLEAN, the staff was amazing. Whatever I needed I just had to ask. I even locked myself out late at night and one of the staff stayed with me for 20 minutes until the maintanence gentleman came to let me in. They were warm and friendly even though I knew they would rather be doing something else. So, all of the folks who whine about a noisy fan or a light switch,.. must not travel to TT very often. I am here 4 - 5 times a year and This is the place with the right price, and the best service. From Colorado USA - Thank you Normandy for the greatest 3 weeks I have had in Trinidad. And to Josephine the service attendant. You are the best. :)

Room Tip: I liked the suite - had a great balcony and private stairway to the resteraunt and shopping but priv...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My hubby and I stayed over the weekend, we checked in at 3pm where all the paper work was finalized.The A\C is makes a loud noise in your room, the bed is extremely small and uncomfortable. At day 1 our A\C knocked out it took 2-3 hrs before anyone came despite two phone calls. We were told to move to a next room no assistance offered. The next room's shower wasn't in good working condition and the A\C was louder, the kettle was dirty when I asked for a clean one (no kitchen in room) I was told to come downstairs for it.. when i paused in disbelief on the line a couple seconds...I was told ok I'll bring it up...On the day of our departure (check in at 1:00, check out @ 11am) not listing names so someone telephoned @ 830am awaking us, inquiring when we were leaving and what rate we were quoted although all the formalities were finalized on our arrival when i related this I was told thank you for your insight!!!!no sorry,no apologies. Upon leaving I inquired as to what is the hotel policy regarding checking out, normally guests are reminded @ 1030am and a 15min grace is allowed. When i related I was called @830am silence followed no apologies. I can be a better host if I were to open a hotel at my home not to mention offer much better facilities. The pool needs cleaning and the restaurant is expensive. The cost of $700-800 a night is definitely not worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sunita1479
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed here during Carnival 2013, and had a good experience. Overall, the hotel is looking tired and could well do with an upgrade, expecially given the prices charged. However - it was Carnival (peak season) and so we expected higher prices; we'd also left our accommodation booking a bit late (Oct 12) so had less choice. The hotel has a lovely setting and character (including parquetry floors in rooms), and was a comfortable walk to Queens Park Savannah & Carnival events. One thing to be aware of: they hold a few 'under the trees' events at the hotel during Carnival, which means loud pumping music which reverberates through your room. This only affected us once, with music starting at about 4pm on Sat, but having stopped by 12pm when we got home again. If this might be an issue for you, I suggest you ask ahead when the events will be and timing.

Check-in was slow, but generally we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Of note, they allowed my partner to use their office computer for several hours to do some urgent, unexpected work. The rooms were comfortable and clean, with some minor staining above air conditioning units which didn't detract from the experience for us. The air conditioner units are old (and not easily adjusted) but worked ok. Shower water was warm rather than hot. The pool was clean and very welcome after wandering hot dusy Carnival streets. Breakfasts were good, buffet style with a variety of food, although yes sometime things ran out and weren't quickly replaced (noting other reviews). The dinners were somewhat overpriced given the quality of the food, but convenient. However, we weren't impressed when told we could only have 1 piece of chicken at the buffet dinner!

We had no problem with security - we kept our bags locked during the day, and took valuables (cash, passports) with us at all times.

Some of the reviews of this hotel are quite damming - but its worth remembering, you are in Trinidad and standards will not replicate the US or UK, and if you want a Hilton experience, pay the price and go stay at the Hilton!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pandia_67
Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Dear reader,
Avoid yourself additional frustrations and disappointments from the regular you normally get from work. If you are on business and need everything to go worries free, this is not your hotel. Upon arrival, they could not find my reservation. It took a while for them to find me a room. They thought they were doing me a favor by placing me close to the small pool, mistake, I wanted peace and quite. That night the AC stopped working so not much sleeping. In the morning when going for breakfast, I reported the broken AC and they said they would have somebody fixing it in no time. After enjoying a sad, weak and repetitive breakfast (every day the same weak continental buffet breakfast, yikes!), went back to my room to work and after that go to a meeting. By 4 pm, the AC was still broken and on top of that, the internet was not working. Finally somebody fixed the AC but it work the following night again, and yes, still no internet.I requested a safety deposit box for one night and they took me into this small, smelly and beat up room with the safety deposit boxes; they boxes were all rusted and showed their age (counted in decades), it was an issue to get the right key to open the small box. I could continue with anecdotes but I have not got the time to write that much right now. Just remember, if you are on business, think twice about staying here. Perhaps if you go to TT for carnival and plan to party day and night this could be an option for you, I will leave that to your consideration.

Room Tip: There is a new building with rooms away from the reception and next to the parking, those seem to be...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business